Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 213544 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #735 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:57 PM

So Charlie Davies has signed for French Ligue 1 side Sochaux, 4-year deal. That's not quite top tier Euro football, but it's certainly more high profile than where he was.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:20 PM

sigil, where's your bitching about Montero's goal?  You're letting me down.

Even I don't think it went in.

Dynamo are solid, though.  Even without Ching.

Fucking Onstad.

Got laid off. Had to get some things in order. didn't watch the game until yesterday.

They did get robbed. and  Ianni  is ex Houston so there's still a little love.

Funny thing is that was the bottom of Houstons barrel. Ustrucks first ever match...

All hail Dom!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #737 on: July 18, 2009, 12:08:05 AM

So should I go to the MLS all-star game?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: July 18, 2009, 07:55:49 AM

So where do people think Crouch is going to end up?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #739 on: July 18, 2009, 01:07:09 PM

I'm going to bet on Fulham. Seems like every story I see, they mention that he'd like to move to London, and if the Zamora to Hull thing goes through, Fulham will need a striker. I think Crouch would pair well with Andy Johnson.

Adebayor appears head to Man. City for 25 million. PIKA? Talk about overpaying for last year's performance. He was worth that after 07/08 season, not after a 15 goals season.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #740 on: July 20, 2009, 11:18:08 AM

I was going to watch the Gold Cup semi but EVO coverage was more interesting.  We won on a pk, yikes, it looked pretty bad out there.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: July 20, 2009, 12:02:26 PM

Then you missed  the panamanian thug squad.

Panama was rough, but in the end our side ran their legs off. Once we got the second that was it. however it did show that rogers was not as solid as he looked earlier. But Beckerman was great. Holden probably bought himself a trip to Europe. I'll miss him. Arnaud is a rock for this squad.

Conrad is out with a nasty concussion. I don't know if we'll get past Honduras with all our losses. If we do I'll be impressed.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #742 on: July 20, 2009, 03:12:05 PM

Yeah, there were a LOT of fouls in that game. I missed the Conrad injury (fell asleep watching), and I hadn't set my Tivo to record past the original 2 hour running time, so I missed the ending, but I was pretty confident the US would get the 2nd goal. I think beating Honduras will depend completely on who we have up front. I think they need to ditch Pause though - he works well on the Fire, but he's just not clicking in the national team. Beckerman, however, is doing very very well.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: July 20, 2009, 04:11:40 PM

A ton of calls were missed as well.   Cooper got an incredible pass form Holden then got a kick to the solar plexus by pa-na-MA!  PEN-al-TY PEN AL TY!!!!1!1111

Bretos  gives his best but his delivery drives me batty...
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #744 on: July 21, 2009, 11:17:56 AM

Conrad's concussion actually wasn't a result of nasty Panamanians.  In fact, I don't even think it was called for a foul.  He did a quick turn attempted header and didn't notice the other guy's head was where the ball used to be, so he head butted that instead.

The midsection kicks were awesome for real, but hey, they lost the game because of one.  I'll take it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: July 21, 2009, 08:18:30 PM

Seattle V. Houston  for the Open Cup Semis.

Game's on soundersfc.com
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #746 on: July 22, 2009, 02:00:34 AM

That was brutal.

When Seattle travels down to Houston I'm not sure anyone will get off the field alive. 

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: July 22, 2009, 03:15:50 AM

I know the Irish were always going to be more up for the game but Ronaldo was pretty poor the other night for his Real debut in the game vs Shamrock Rovers.  And Metzelder was lucky that Diarra was in great form already.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: July 22, 2009, 07:56:53 AM

That was brutal.

When Seattle travels down to Houston I'm not sure anyone will get off the field alive. 

I miss ching and holden   cry
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #749 on: July 22, 2009, 02:54:57 PM

I wouldn't feel too bad about Kamara and Akinbiyi.  I'd trade Jaqua for either one of them.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: July 22, 2009, 05:49:47 PM

I know the Irish were always going to be more up for the game but Ronaldo was pretty poor the other night for his Real debut in the game vs Shamrock Rovers.  And Metzelder was lucky that Diarra was in great form already.

I can't imagine he got too fired up at the prospect of playing at Tallaght stadium, I think he'll do well for them but I think they are still lacking in a few positions. Anytime I have seen that Gago guy I've been extremely underwhelmed.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #751 on: July 22, 2009, 06:13:26 PM

Sven Goran Eriksson takes job at League 2 side Notts County and plans to take them to the Premiership in 5 years.

He should call me for advice, because coincidentally enough I also took Notts County to the Premiership in only a few seasons in Football Manager '06.  My advice is to scout deeply in Wales, sign a young Victor Moses and Jason Scotland to lead the attack and when you make it up to League 1 build a defense around Chris Hogg and Jason Shackell.  Worked for me, anyway.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: July 22, 2009, 07:53:13 PM

Awesome makes me want to play Champo again (then again maybe not), my personal quest was to take Barnet from 4th division (long time since I played) to European cup glory. Alliardiere was my main striker for a few seasons was good fun though much prefereable to starting as a top team.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:58 AM

Speaking as someone who has taken both Yeovil Town and Rushden & Diamonds from the conference to the premiership I have to say that consistency is a better guide to managerial skill  awesome, for real

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
WayAbvPar

Reply #754 on: July 23, 2009, 09:13:50 AM

I took Hereford from Division 1 to the EPL in 3 seasons in FIFA 09. I think I have 2 guys from the original roster still buried in my reserves  awesome, for real

The best part was when I got to the EPL I bought my created character that I had forgotten was on ManU for 15M and he is going apeshit for me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #755 on: July 26, 2009, 04:39:12 PM

Gold Cup final today:

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: July 27, 2009, 09:43:00 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #757 on: July 27, 2009, 11:05:46 AM

I assume no spoiler needed now.

Yeah, bad fucking game. We got beat like red-headed step children. That first goal, though... that was a bullshit penalty if ever there was one. Giovanni should have been called for an elbow to the defender's face. After that, though, was just dreadful fucking defending. Perkins did well to keep it to as few goals allowed as he did. I don't think Beckerman had a bad game, just not a great one. He never seemed to have anyone to pass to once Mexico got going. Way too many missed shots and bad touches. We can take solace that this wasn't the best team the US could put out there, but that team should have been better than this by far.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #758 on: July 27, 2009, 11:45:44 AM

What fucking killed the team was trying to stick with the trap.

If you go back and watch the US 'trap' getting shredded you'll see that 80% of the time it's Heaps fucking it up.  And it was so loud down there the US got a yellow for not being able to hear the whistle.  And you're supposed to communicate well enough to keep a line for a trap?  Bullshit.  Bradley should be absolutely taken to the woodshed for keeping a joke of a trap in play after seeing it get shredded over and over again.  Back when it was 2-0 or so the back line could have played back and there still would have been plenty of time for a comeback.

And the US has absolutely no right back.  According to FSC's announcers Heaps was in there for some kind of 'redemption game' after a crap game against Haiti.  Nice work!  And his backup, Brad Evans, is a fucking midfielder.  Cherundolo is the only player worth anything there and he's constantly hurt.  They should give James Riley a try as a wingback. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #759 on: July 29, 2009, 04:17:19 PM

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: July 30, 2009, 11:01:16 PM

Problem is they never replaced Viera and they haven't had a really good central defence pairing since Keown and Adams retired (they even had O'Leary and Bould coming off the bench back in those days).

I hear Arsenal trying to solve the Viera problem by signing um .... Viera. Shame he's five years older and lost his bottle Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #761 on: July 31, 2009, 09:19:48 AM

MLS teams in the Concacaf CL are 0-1-2, proving just how awesome they really are, also two of those were home games lawl.  I meant to watch some of it but couldn't be bothered I'll try to catch some second legs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:22:13 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: July 31, 2009, 11:25:06 AM

I still say that for the foreseeable future, it's Houston and then everyone else in MLS, although Seattle will make a challenge for that  before too long.
WayAbvPar

Reply #763 on: July 31, 2009, 05:10:45 PM

I am excited to see what Seattle will do once they have a season under their belts. Obviously the front office has an eye for talent, and they could be pretty damned good with just a couple of tweaks going forward.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #764 on: July 31, 2009, 06:54:32 PM

You have to consider that Seattle will likely not have Montero next season and maybe not even Alonso. Those two kids are fucking fantastic, and they are shoe-ins for Europe IMO. I kind of hate that, because I really like the Sounders as my backup team (and now that McBride is out, Chicago seems ready to draw the season away). But that's the reality of MLS - young phenoms go to Europe.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: August 01, 2009, 02:07:01 PM

coaches who can make the most of what's available will do well in the league. See Sigi Schmid and Dom Kinnear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #766 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:50 AM

Good work by the Dynamo this weekend, BTW. Totally dismantled that United back line, though they seem to have some issues on their own back line. Akinbyi (sp?) might just be a beast.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: August 03, 2009, 10:11:33 AM

well, Julius James isn't exactly Eddie Robinson just yet, and I'm not sure where to put Cameron, think Dom's wondering a little as well.

And wow, Seattle shit the bed yesterday. 1-3-4 away with seven of the last 10 on the road... They may miss the playoffs.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: October 14, 2009, 06:31:39 PM

Sucks about Davies.

If his absence is the reason the US is playing like they are tonight we'll be having an earlier exit.....again.  I thought we would actually have a shot at being seeded this time around early on but no way with our team play and prior WC performance.  We're 11 now, don't see that getting any better.

WayAbvPar,

How is Osvaldo Alonso working out in Seattle?  

edit: damn wrong thread.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread  
Jump to: