Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 213552 times)
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: June 25, 2009, 01:31:40 PM

I cannot understand why Beckerman, Conrad and Heaps aren't in this Confederation's Cup team. Or Kenny Cooper for that matter. Beckerman is criminally underrated. Why doesn't John Thorrington get more love as well?

There are better options on defense. Conrad is funny as hell and will be doing well after the game, but he's just not as good as his competition. he's good though. Cooper is the american Crouch. Small size mind in big lanky body. The rest, who do you take out. ok after Beasley and obviously now Freddy.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #666 on: June 25, 2009, 02:22:49 PM

I'd put Beckerman in as defensive mid, maybe in preference to Clarke. Thorrington can take Dempsey's place if you don't use Clarke for that and Heaps or Conrad over Onyewu.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: June 25, 2009, 03:33:45 PM

Thorrington can take Dempsey's place.

wat
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #668 on: June 25, 2009, 03:58:49 PM

I like John Thorrington from the Fire. He'd be a better winger than Dempsey has been.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: June 25, 2009, 04:46:35 PM

You're speaking English,  but these words make no sense to me. Oh well, I will give you your right to an opinion.

Brad Davis would be better than Thorrington. His ears would distract the opposing team.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:49:15 PM by sigil »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #670 on: June 27, 2009, 02:22:01 PM

Watched the games while in Mexico, half the resort heard me yelling when Jozy scored.

Thoughts:
Spain should have and usually would have at least 2 if not 4 goals in that game.  We got lucky on both scores and the second one was Donovan going for an extra pass when the shot was his to take for the 5th time.

Howard was the man, the defense blocked shots and scrambled well and got lucky.  Fucking Jay DeMerit put on a show, best game I've seen from him, so did Gooch in the air but dear god he is so fucking bad with his feet.  There was one ball that he gave up a corner on that was just so  ACK! I was beside myself for about 5 minutes.  Bocanegra couldn't handle his assignment but how many can, esp playing out of position.  He got fucking shook a couple of times so bad.

Midfield faded again late, which isn't good but early on they were playing great pressuring everything and taking away any imperfect pass.  Real fucking shame for Bradley, another completely bogus straight red.  A straight red should be a rare event, seeing them for this ticky tack calls where you have to turn your head just right to find some malice in the positioning of the studs chaps my ass.  The one thing the midfield didn't do well was find Xavi, he was getting the ball the entire first half at the start of the attacking third in the middle with space, DO NOT WANT, every time that happened I was expecting them to score.  That area is where the 2nd and 3rd Italy goals came from, somebody needs to learn something.

If this does something major for Jozy's career and playtime maybe just maybe we'll have a real striking threat for 2010, I wouldn't bet on it but its an exciting thought.

re: Gold Cup roster
I've read and heard that people see this roster and think this will be Adu's last chance, that he'll get the playtime and the offense will revolve around him.  If he doesn't shine then its probably over.  I'm devastated that Ricardo Clark isn't on this roster, he just needs more experience his workrate, athleticism, heart and confidence have been great.  I guess if you want to argue that the Concacaf CL (what do they call that?) is better competition then the gold cup I might agree.

I still think Dempsey is a cunt.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:24:07 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: June 27, 2009, 05:30:12 PM

Rico doesn't got the same reason Cameron doesn't Go. It's not fair to houston to take four players off their team because they're quality.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #672 on: June 27, 2009, 05:33:56 PM

Prediction for final.

Brazil 10-0 USA
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:06 PM

Sigil, you can't make a 'your posting is incomprehensible' burn then post that "Rico doesn't got the same reason Cameron doesn't Go" in your next post.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #674 on: June 27, 2009, 06:52:11 PM

Rico doesn't got the same reason Cameron doesn't Go. It's not fair to houston to take four players off their team because they're quality.

So drop Ching or this midfielder Holden who wasn't good enough to make the Confed Cup then.  Clark is just raw, but he has the talents, its criminal not seeing him play if its just because of club team politics.  Also, are you drunk?  I have no idea what Cameron doesn't Go means.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: June 28, 2009, 12:16:38 AM

Sigil, you can't make a 'your posting is incomprehensible' burn then post that "Rico doesn't got the same reason Cameron doesn't Go" in your next post.

Yes, but mine was an error of omitting words,as I had to step out. Sorry about that.  Rico doesn't go because Ching and Holden are going to the Gold cup. Are you going to take four players off of Houston? No.

The brain moves faster than the fingers most of the time. I just spat out my thought that was clear in my head but screwy typed out.  Had to unexpectedly leave right after. So yeah. Fake drunk posting.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:19:42 AM by sigil »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #676 on: June 28, 2009, 11:55:19 AM

WARNING: If you are trying to tape this on Dish, they have switched it from ESPN2 to ESPN but the tags are still wrong so it won't DVR it on a timer.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: June 28, 2009, 02:16:47 PM

That was a shame. US really needs a better midfield. Way too many turnovers in that second half. Kljestan is horrible.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #678 on: June 28, 2009, 03:13:04 PM

I'd rather lose 3-0 than play that poorly in the second half and absolutely choke.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: June 28, 2009, 06:12:19 PM

we didn't choke

we ran out of gas.

Remember we had no Ching, no Edu. I think we've replaced Hejduk now. and we're getting one more guy, as I'll talk  about in a sec

The first Brazil goal was a shot to the gut. chalk it up to demerit having his limits.

After that you could see the cracks opening up the gaps opening slowly bit by bit... eventually they capitalized.

But I'll say this. You start off Jermaine Jones and have Clark as a reserve, and Ching to come on for Altidore in the 70th and  we probably win. This team took a big step forward. We know  and they know what they're capable of doing.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #680 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:08 PM

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I'd imagine that the teams up 2-0 at the half and lose in regulation in international play...

Well they are fucking rare. We choked. There's no way around it. Not to mention we got a break on a terrible call that was a goal and they apparently didn't see it. The game is 4-2 if that counts.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: June 29, 2009, 01:48:03 AM

Still, you SHOCKED THE WORLD!!!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: June 29, 2009, 07:16:39 AM

I've never seen a team run as much as USA did in the first half, defended superbly aswell. Kaka is amazing though, love watching that guy.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #683 on: June 29, 2009, 08:57:37 AM

I have to say that if we had Bradley and Edu that you would figure the midfield would be much stronger.  I better not see Kljestan on the field again for quite some time, I also really question why Bocanegra is considered such a gem considering he's been getting smoked all tournament but its hard to call out any other players except to nitpick.

Defensively Gooch was a monster again and even played the ball to a midfielder out of defense on several occasions.  Spector is mvp because he was all over the pitch and played a hell of a game, simply great defending.  DeMerit is DeMerit, he's not that good but he's solid, unlucky on that first goal, he did close out like you would want.  I'm not thrilled with Bocanegra but if he's playing out of position I guess he deserves some credit.  Howard made great saves and it would be crazy to fault him for any of the goals.  If anyone takes the starting job from Spector (*cough* Cherundelo *endcough*) I'm going to be pissed, best service on the team in this tournament, great defending, pushes forward, plays smart.

The midfield gassed again, Ricardo Clark played ok but was nonexistent for almost all of the second half, it shouldn't be ignored that he sprung the 2nd goal.  Benny really played well as a holding midfielder at times, some great tackles at key moments but I never saw him going forward and he also vanished in the second half.  Donovan wanted to win, I hope he goes back to Germany or somewhere after this.  Dempsey, fucking Dempsey, who knows what to say, I still don't really like him, it was his mark on the 3rd goal and I'm sure I've seen him get beat on corners for the USMNT several times before.  He looked all choked up afterwards and that will get a lot of play but...  I guess for now we've got to play him, he gets goals, but I wish he wouldn't be so inconsistent and sulky.

Altidore showed flashes, not a great game for him but he better remain or #1 striker, that white guy (Kasey?) is useless and Ching is an old man.  Fucking Davies, I love this kid, I think in the end him Spector and Clark are the trio that really give me hope for the future even more so then Altidore.  Sure he tried to do a little too much, a few too many moves at times but to have the balls to run at the defense and he was close to breaking free 2-3 times is something most of the USMNT lacks.  He's fast, he makes good runs and he played some good balls.  Needs more experience for sure, I look forward to watching him in the finals of the gold cup tearing shit up.

-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #684 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21:41 AM

I knew it was over when Brazil scored less than a minute into the 2nd half. That was enough to erode the confidence of the team and give Brazil the extra energy to finish it off. Utterly predictable. If they could have hung on until 65 or 70 before conceding they might have had a chance to hang on. Still, I am happier with their overall play than I was after Costa Rica and the first 2 games of the tournament. They have a TON of work to do to be competitive with the world class teams, however.

As soon as the final whistle blew I switched over to my DVR recording of the Seattle v Colorado game. Wow, does Colorado miss Conor Casey. Although he was not responsible for the total demolition of the back line by Fredy/Freddie/Nate. Seattle REALLY needs to upgrade their back line too. That game could have easily been 6-3 with all the chances on both ends. I heard a rumor last week about them picking up the starting left back for the Costa Rican national team. Apparently his backup is a starter for Chicago, so he sounds like quite an improvement over Wahl/Scott/Ianni/whoever gets stuck back there.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #685 on: June 29, 2009, 10:26:08 AM

For whatever reason, Kljestan just cannot translate his talent to the international level. He's fantastic at Chivas, but he has fallen on his dick at the international level. Some guys are just like that. The fact that we even kept that game close after they torched us the first game is an achievement. The first US goal was lucky, the second was skill. I agree with Hoax, I think if we'd have had Bradley either as a starter or sub, it would have been a better performance. I'm not too broken up about it, because at least we took it to 2 of the best teams in the world and gave them all they could handle. I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup now.

EDIT: Also, have to mention Altidore. Though he wasn't flashy last night, I appreciate his attempts to hold the ball in possession. I think taking him off in the second half was a mistake. He didn't look that gassed, and he brings some danger to the front that putting in another midfielder didn't. Who does Davies play his club football for, because he is good. I think the team has some good talent to build on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:29:37 AM by HaemishM »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #686 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28:53 AM

Don't for get Maurice, if we had Maurice the whole tournament we would have been in a much better spot.  I also can't believe that the Gringo Torres gets no playtime, what the fuck is the deal with that?

-William Gibson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53:22 AM

Davies plays in Sweden.

-H.L. Mencken
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #688 on: July 01, 2009, 12:43:08 PM

I'm going to try to catch the Copa Libertadores games today and tomorrow but its only on Fox Sports Spanish, time to head to the Mission and pray.  Anyone watched any of this and know who I should be rooting for?  I'm a fan of Estudiantes from FSC argentina league coverage the past couple of seasons but not a big one.

Also, I wanted to post here that if Spector loses his RB starting spot to Cherundelo I'm going to be so fucking pissed.  I'm guessing that Bocanegra will move to CB paired with Gooch and DeMerit goes back to the bench if everyone is fit?

Its still a crime no matter how you look at it that Ricardo Clark isn't on the Gold Cup roster.

-William Gibson
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #689 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:16 PM

You should change your mind and watch some US Open Cup play to see if any MLS teams can stagger through alive

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: July 01, 2009, 03:26:10 PM

You should change your mind and watch some US Open Cup play to see if any MLS teams can stagger through alive

www.usllive.com

Austin v Houston tonight :)

Timbers v. sounders too
WayAbvPar

Reply #691 on: July 01, 2009, 05:05:00 PM

Sounders game is being carried on FSN tonight if memory serves. First live look at the all blue kits!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: July 02, 2009, 08:13:07 AM

lol, keep waiting on those.. :P

Houston did well, but their feed was fucked, so I didn't get to see. Talked to Eric Ustruck's GF for a bit in chat. Nice girl.

And This is going to be very interesting reading.

I know soccer is a game where you don't use your hands (or at least obviously) but I didn't know that meant not picking up the check when you take the team to Morton's of Chicago for a nice steak dinner?

Landon just fucking eviscerates him. Bravo.
WayAbvPar

Reply #693 on: July 02, 2009, 10:07:22 AM

I have always kind of liked Beckham. I will definitely read the entire book- very curious what else is in there.

And WTF with Portland wearing black? I had heard they were going to wear their green so the Sounders could wear blue, dammit. Very nice first goal (in the first minute, no less). Portland has some decent talent and stayed with Seattle most of the game. That will be a fun rivalry.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:20 AM

It'll be cool to hear thirty something thousand chant "Chop the timbers, dump the stumps!"
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: July 02, 2009, 04:02:18 PM

Some more excerpts and quotes here:

"All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl.

"As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field.

"Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the United States captain and wears the Galaxy armband in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Donovan even claimed Beckham is a bad team-mate, because of his lack of commitment.

"He's not shown (he's a good team-mate)," he said. "I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care. But with (Beckham), I'd say no, he wasn't committed."

"Let's say he does stay here for three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f****** miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: July 02, 2009, 04:44:02 PM

It's funny they brought over Pele Best Bobby Moore, amongst others, to try and initiate American interest in soccer. If that ensemble of geniuses couldn't do it, how did they expect a limp brain monochromatic winger to make a difference?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #697 on: July 02, 2009, 04:54:03 PM

To be fair, I've always though Donovan was a bit of a douchebag.  Most important member of the US squad by far. . given.  But a douchebag.  So I could easily believe he's hamming up his criticism.  On the other hand, I totally believe Beckham is dogging it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: July 02, 2009, 05:22:34 PM

This story is definitely a crock of shit who would think this guy is underage?

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: July 02, 2009, 06:25:13 PM

That story is true as I've heard it through the MLS twitter Grapevine in the past  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread  
Jump to: