Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1207837 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1890 on: January 21, 2011, 07:35:51 AM

I can't even push you to DLP (though it would make a lot of sense given your criteria), because Mitsubishi's smallest DLP is a 60". Dammit.

Even though I have a Mitsu DLP, the Samsung was much better build quality.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1891 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:28 AM

Anyone got advice on a good, cheap router?  Updating my network at home since most components are fairly old including a cable modem that I can't even remember when I bought it (already found one).   This router has to be around 7 years old as well.

Devices on the network are my PC (wired), two consoles (wireless), iphone, ipad, and at most 2 notebooks on the wireless.

Seems like every router on newegg has someone bitching about it.  50% seem like people too retarded to set it up and the other 50% seem like geniune defective merchandise.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1892 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:09 AM

I've got this one, from a link in a thread here somewhere: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320039

It's not the most solid wireless connection but it's fast. The wired connection is solid, but slow. No idea why, very frustrating. I'm not sure if I'm recommending it or not, heh.
Rasix

Reply #1893 on: January 24, 2011, 01:20:43 PM

Is going to wireless N or gigabit ethernet going to make much a difference in the set up I've mentioned above?  ISP is Comcast.

edit: I suppose the iPad and other current and future iPhones could use the wireless n.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1894 on: January 24, 2011, 01:33:58 PM

N should be backwards compatible, yeah?
Rasix

Reply #1895 on: January 24, 2011, 01:42:44 PM

Most anything that says n says a/b/g/n.  Not worried about that really. 

Most new routers seem to have a lot of gripes.  The only router people seem to love is the Linksys WRT54GL.  I have one but it's old as dirt and starting to act up.  It's g, not n, which is why I'm wondering if n will do noticeably better with our mobile devices.

I just know pretty much zilch about networking other than the basic stuff and zoning (which is non applicable at home).  Reading up as best as I can while disks format at work.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1896 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:42 PM

In general it's better to get dual band 2.4 GHz/5 GHz router in a mixed G/N environment. That way the newer devices like the iPad using N won't be stuck at slower speeds cause you have the PS3 and Xbox 360 hooked up through G. If you don't do much device-to-device transfers over wireless (e.g. laptop to laptop), however, then it doesn't matter that much as even at G speeds the wireless speed should still be faster than your Comcast connection itself.

Gigabit Ethernet only matters if you have multiple devices wired that support it. If you only ever have the single PC wired then it doesn't matter if the router only has Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps). However, if you wanted to hook up one of the laptops and transfer large amounts of files back and forth you might want to consider spending the extra money to get a router with Gigabit Ethernet.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1897 on: January 24, 2011, 04:11:49 PM

I've been looking for a router as well since my wireless seems to be taking poops in the bed of late.  The opinion of the massive thread over at SA says the preferred router of choice is the WRT54GL.  But that seems to be based on the ability for the really smart people to install different firmware and all the fun that it allows (whatever that may be).  I just want something that's fast, reliable, works, and is pretty idiot proof.  The newegg reviews are overtly positive (3K reviews, 5 stars), so I'll probably pick one up soon.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1898 on: January 26, 2011, 10:58:33 AM

What can I do to find out which process is causing my disk churn?  (Win vista)

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1899 on: January 26, 2011, 06:31:43 PM

What programs (ideally free) do people use to compress and/or link fraps videos into something less gi-normus?  One of my boys wants to play around with gameplay videos.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1900 on: January 26, 2011, 08:54:30 PM

What programs (ideally free) do people use to compress and/or link fraps videos into something less gi-normus?  One of my boys wants to play around with gameplay videos.

I would use ffmpeg as it can do the conversion while streaming, but it is a command line tool with shit for documentation and decent tutorials on it are a bit hard to find.  A few of the gui based tools use ffmpeg on the back end to do the work.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1901 on: January 27, 2011, 09:20:17 PM

What can I do to find out which process is causing my disk churn?  (Win vista)

Not 100% on Vista, but Process Monitor from Sysinternals might do what you want.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1902 on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:08 PM

I've been looking for a router as well since my wireless seems to be taking poops in the bed of late.  The opinion of the massive thread over at SA says the preferred router of choice is the WRT54GL.  But that seems to be based on the ability for the really smart people to install different firmware and all the fun that it allows (whatever that may be).  I just want something that's fast, reliable, works, and is pretty idiot proof.  The newegg reviews are overtly positive (3K reviews, 5 stars), so I'll probably pick one up soon.

The WRT54G in general is a pretty decent router for home use. And while the super-nerdy hacker types all buy the GL to be able to flash it with DD-WRT, the built in firmware is actually pretty damn solid and does pretty much all the same things.

A big rule of thumb is: stay the hell away from Belkin routers.

Wireless n is NOT backwards compatible with b/g (though it is with a) as n is 5ghz and b/g are 2.4. You want to make sure that if you do have n and g devices you want to connect at the same time, that you buy a router that can have both radios on at the same time (most of the lower priced ones are one or the other, set in the control panel).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1903 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:05 PM

N can run at 2.4 GHz too.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1904 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:07 AM

What can I do to find out which process is causing my disk churn?  (Win vista)

Not 100% on Vista, but Process Monitor from Sysinternals might do what you want.

Possibly a simpler method is to bring up the Task Manager (right click on your task bar) and then under the View menu choose Select Columns and find I/O Reads and I/O writes. Those two tend to be two good indicators of what's doing what to your hd under the Processes column.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1905 on: January 28, 2011, 10:05:25 AM

What can I do to find out which process is causing my disk churn?  (Win vista)

Possibly a simpler method is to bring up the Task Manager (right click on your task bar) and then under the View menu choose Select Columns and find I/O Reads and I/O writes. Those two tend to be two good indicators of what's doing what to your hd under the Processes column.

Yea that too, assumed he had tried this.  I have replaced my taskman with process explorer and do the same.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1906 on: February 07, 2011, 04:28:06 PM

Anyone able to describe what a LCD generally looks like when it is dying? Viewsonic display was freaking out while playing ToEE (not exactly tough on the video card). Wasn't sure if it was the video card, so I activated my dual display, which is connected to the TV - monitor was freaking out, while the TV display was fine.

Wasn't sure if it was a port on the card, so I reconnected the monitor and it's fine now...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1907 on: February 07, 2011, 06:22:43 PM

What's the latest and greatest on SSDs?  Are they coming down in price soon (next 3 months) or have the hit their price/GB mark for a while?  I want one for no other reason than to just to have one, preferably in the 250GB range to store multiple games/MMOs on, but don't want to just toss money at it willy nilly.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1908 on: February 08, 2011, 07:33:52 AM

What's the latest and greatest on SSDs?  Are they coming down in price soon (next 3 months) or have the hit their price/GB mark for a while?  I want one for no other reason than to just to have one, preferably in the 250GB range to store multiple games/MMOs on, but don't want to just toss money at it willy nilly.

Anything Sandforce SF-1200 series based controllers are the latest and greatest. The next revision of the Intel SSD's are suppose to be out this month so i'd hold out for a bit.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1909 on: February 08, 2011, 07:38:32 AM

Yeesh, they're still about 500 USD for something in the 250GB range.  Think I'll pass until the $/GB ratio isn't so out of whack.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1910 on: February 08, 2011, 08:43:31 AM

Anyone able to describe what a LCD generally looks like when it is dying? Viewsonic display was freaking out while playing ToEE (not exactly tough on the video card). Wasn't sure if it was the video card, so I activated my dual display, which is connected to the TV - monitor was freaking out, while the TV display was fine.
For the monitor of mine which went bad it was flickering and a general dimness.  Usually I was able to get it working by powering it off then on after it warmed up a bit, but it got worse and worse with time.  I've seen another one exhibit similar symptoms, but they are much more minor and it's still in use for a year since it started.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos

Reply #1911 on: February 08, 2011, 02:37:44 PM

I happened again last night, but is fine at the moment. Seems to be intermittent, sometimes temporarily fixed by reseating the DVI cable.

I'm tempted to try another cable before taking the plunge on a new monitor...one that has to make its way to Africa this year. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1912 on: February 08, 2011, 03:31:13 PM

What's the latest and greatest on SSDs?  Are they coming down in price soon (next 3 months) or have the hit their price/GB mark for a while?  I want one for no other reason than to just to have one, preferably in the 250GB range to store multiple games/MMOs on, but don't want to just toss money at it willy nilly.

Anything Sandforce SF-1200 series based controllers are the latest and greatest. The next revision of the Intel SSD's are suppose to be out this month so i'd hold out for a bit.

The 25nm g3 Intel ssd's were supposed to hit in q1 of this year and almost double the gb per $, unfortunately intel just pulled a switch and is now going to release the previously unannounced 510 series ssd which is more or less the same $/gb but offer SATA 3 and sandforce speeds using the existing 34nm chips.  I can't help but think this will push back the 25nm drives by another quarter or 2, especially considering the rumored 1/3 lifespan they are currently experiencing (3k writes/cell vs 10k writes/cell).

Edit: by "same $/gb" I mean same as is currently offered not same as the upcoming g3's with double capacity per $.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:35:29 PM by Salamok »
Rasix

Reply #1913 on: February 10, 2011, 09:15:23 AM

On my 23" LCD monitor exactly half of the screen looks correct and half is noticeably brighter (there's a clear divide).  All searches seem to indicate that my monitor is toast.  Is this a safe assumption?

Through an act of generosity I don't have a backup to test if it's the card, although I really doubt that'd be the case. I'll try to rule out the cable tonight, but I'm expecting that not to matter as well.

-Rasix
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1914 on: February 10, 2011, 06:58:07 PM

Memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that some if not all video cards do partial screen renderings, half and half. I'd see if you can get your hands on a laptop and use a vga cable to test the monitor before drawing any conclusions.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rasix

Reply #1915 on: February 11, 2011, 08:50:29 PM

Memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that some if not all video cards do partial screen renderings, half and half. I'd see if you can get your hands on a laptop and use a vga cable to test the monitor before drawing any conclusions.

Did this just a few minutes ago.  It's the monitor. 

I'm going to blame my cat that tends to sleep right in front of it when I'm not around. Next monitor is going to have a nice strip of dual sided tape on the desk in front of it and in back.  HAVE FUN LAYING IN THAT, YOU FUZZY BASTARD.

-Rasix
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1916 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:38 AM

Really? You think it was the cat's fault? Or are there just no other rational explanations?

Strazos

Reply #1917 on: February 12, 2011, 10:12:36 AM

I hate cats, so blaming it for monitor woes seems right by me.  awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1918 on: February 12, 2011, 10:34:32 AM

Anyone have a recommendation for a wall mounted keyboard tray/arm that doesn't cost a fortune?  I just bought the monitor version of this ergotron arm but am not overly keen on spending $185 on the keyboard version.  I am really pleased with the ergotron monitor arm but that was $50 cheaper than the keyboard version and actually is useful beyond the exercise bike.

I am trying to get a setup where I can swing my monitor around to the recumbent exercise bike (next to my desk) and get something that will support my keyboard and mouse in a usable position while sitting there...  The keyboard tray doesn't need to necessarily be usable at the desk position as my keyboard and mouse are wireless and I can just move them to my desk.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1919 on: February 14, 2011, 06:29:47 AM

On the subject of monitors...

I've been looking hard at the Dell U2410 (IPS) or the Asus VG236H (TN, 120Hz, 3D Ready).  I'm in a bit of a dilemma. 

I won't need the color clarity of the Dell because I don't do any photo/video editing, but I understand the picture is quite stunning.
I won't need the 3D capability of the Asus, but the reviews for gaming are through the roof and (for a TN panel) the picture is also amazing.  Not quite as good as the Dell, but as good as a TN panel gets.

They're both within ~100 bucks of each other, so the price isn't really the issue.  But for someone that will use the monitor for 99 percent gaming and the majority of THAT time spent playing MMOs, what would you recommend?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1920 on: February 14, 2011, 06:51:02 AM

Dell Ultrasharps are damn good monitors.

I don't really think you can go wrong with one. If the Asus is more expensive I don't think there would be a question if you are not interested in 3d.

I have a friend that has used them for gaming for years (from his office /shakefist) and never heard a complaint.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1921 on: February 14, 2011, 06:57:44 AM

With a Dell coupon, I can get the U2410 for 450ish.  I can get the Asus (w/o the 3D gear) for 349.00ish.  I mean...Yeah, a 100 bucks is a 100 bucks, but in the grand scheme of things in terms of 4 plus years of use out of it, it's no real bid deal.

There's nothing technically wrong with my current monitor (Gateway FHD2400), but the backlight bleed and color shifting if I move my head 2 inches is finally getting annoying after 3 or 4 years.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1922 on: February 14, 2011, 07:56:39 AM

I have the Dell U23 and I love it. Picture is sharp and clear, no weird light patterns like my cheap Viewsonic. And it looks exactly the same at a 10 degree viewing angle.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1923 on: February 14, 2011, 09:52:33 AM

WoW works really well with 3D Vision, so did EQ2.  why so serious?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1924 on: February 14, 2011, 10:32:51 PM

Another consideration with IPS is video picture quality. If you do any movie viewing, IPS is nicer than TN, and not only for the viewing angle. TN tends to do blacks and greys  in splotches, whereas IPS blends darker shades well.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: