Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1207795 times)
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1715 on: October 12, 2010, 08:15:39 PM

Just a couple of hours ago I took the motherboard out to install the new CPU cooler since I'd been using the stock one. Risers are all in, nothing underneath.

FAKE EDIT: Flashed to the newest BIOS and it boots all the way through every time now.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:29:14 PM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1716 on: October 12, 2010, 10:06:38 PM

Hmm after a little more reading it looks like it is a feature of EVGA mobos. I guess it is supposed to sync the CPU and PCIe clocks for better stability? With the new BIOS updates it gives you an option to disable it. Good to know.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1717 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:01 PM

Glad you figured it out. Sorry you had to remove the motherboard for no reason!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1718 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:43 AM

Well, I had to take the motherboard out anyways to attach the backplate for the CPU cooler I bought. Took my idle temps from 45 down to 35 degrees which is pretty good considering it is 82F in my place. Overclocked to 3.5ghz last night and it's still sitting at 39 degrees, will probably be as far as I take it. Awesome cooler, it's quieter than the stock which is awesome too.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2010, 12:56:18 PM

Is this Nintendo DSi the right hand held console for a 5 year old?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
PkProjects
Terracotta Army

Reply #1720 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:02 PM

Is this Nintendo DSi the right hand held console for a 5 year old?

Really, I don't think any 5 year old should have a handheld. If you give them one at that age, they'll miss the ability to entertain themselves, which might result in a lack of concentration later in life.
But if you really insist on giving one, then yea, a DS would work. The PSP is more mature, as the graphics are more 'realistic' and there's more mature content on it.
Whereas the DS has games as pokemon, mario, and other cartoony looking fun games, like Mario Party.
But really, don't give them a handheld untill they reach at least the age of 7~8.

"Atheism. The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itsself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. Makes perfect sense."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: October 17, 2010, 03:57:58 PM

Anyone know where I could find a Socket 939 motherboard? The mobo went in one of my friend's computers; neither newegg nor tiger direct seem to carry anything that old though. Worst case scenario she'll just buy a new PC, but I figured I'd ask in case someone knew a good site to buy old hardware.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1722 on: October 17, 2010, 06:30:43 PM

Finally installed Win 7 on my home machine.  The fonts in Firefox look way off.  I've poked around various places, without much luck.  After an all-day reinstall my question is simple: How do I make my browser fonts not look like ass?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1723 on: October 17, 2010, 06:53:19 PM

Weird, mine looks fine. Did you do an in-place upgrade or a wipe-and-install?

May just need to reinstall Firefox to get the fonts reloaded.

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1724 on: October 17, 2010, 07:33:30 PM

Anyone know where I could find a Socket 939 motherboard? The mobo went in one of my friend's computers; neither newegg nor tiger direct seem to carry anything that old though. Worst case scenario she'll just buy a new PC, but I figured I'd ask in case someone knew a good site to buy old hardware.

I don't know of any specifics, but you can search google shopping for "socket 939" and a bunch show up. If I am looking for something end of lifed I usually do that and then find a site that doesn't seem too shady.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1725 on: October 17, 2010, 08:41:46 PM

Weird, mine looks fine. Did you do an in-place upgrade or a wipe-and-install?

May just need to reinstall Firefox to get the fonts reloaded.
Fresh new disk, no upgrade.  (I never upgrade.)  I'm going to try a DVI cable tomorrow, and see if that makes any difference.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1726 on: October 17, 2010, 10:45:51 PM

It might. Also wondering if you're using the monitor's native resolution. Also check to see if you've got the right hertz. Some monitors are actually 59 hertz, rather than 60. Just throwing stuff out there. Also, there's a setting under Firefox (Options>Display>Fonts>Advance) that has a check box that states 'let websites determine what fonts to use instead of the default ones above' or something like that. See if toggling that makes a difference.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1727 on: October 17, 2010, 10:50:34 PM

Is it just the fonts on pages or the entire application, menus etc.?

Could be a font scaling issue.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1728 on: October 18, 2010, 06:50:16 AM

The text on the tab headers is blurry, with the active tab's bold being worse (any site).  F13 is amongst the worse, especially small fonts such as signatures.

I am in native resolution, however Win7 won't let me set it to 59 Hz, only 60.  I've downloaded monitor drivers, but it hasn't made any difference.  Unchecking fonts in Firefox changes the font, but doesn't really help, and makes it ugly to boot.  Is there a way to force it to let me choose 59 Hz?

(I had a similar problem where their "We know best" philosophy hurt me.  The right channel on my sound output doesn't work.  So I had it plugged into my "rear" channel.  XP detected it and let it work.  W7 detects it, but only lets me use it as a rear channel.  So my speakers are plugged into my headphone jack now. awesome, for real)

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1729 on: October 18, 2010, 07:16:39 AM

Did you try the DVI cable? I think that's still your best be. Also, if you happen to have another monitor about, even a cheapo, it would be a good quick way of troubleshooting. Honestly, I think my suggestion of 59 hertz is a stretch. I think the setting itself is not really needed, but a vestigial value from CRT days where one would have to be specific.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1730 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:59 AM

Is this only an issue in firefox?

Do you have aero turned on?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1731 on: October 18, 2010, 08:45:53 AM

Aero is on.  It's duplicated in IE.  Nothing else I use has enough text to see if it carries over.

Turning Cleartype on and off affects windows explorer and other OS windows, but seemed to do nothing for browsers.  My work machine is still XP.  The clear font looks so much nicer right now.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1732 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:11 AM

Quick question: What monitor is it? I ask because I've seen some 2 year old Dell 22" monitors act really badly to higher resolutions. The messed up font is one of the symptoms. The monitor may have an 'autoadjust' feature that may be worth poking at.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1733 on: October 18, 2010, 10:58:23 AM

I recall having this problem at one point during the RC, but I can't recall what I did to fix it.

some things to try from a different forum:

1) Unselect cleartype
2)
   - Click Start Orb > right-click computer > click properties
   - On the left pane click Advanced system settings
   - Under performance click Settings
   - Check mark Smooth edges of screen fonts
   - Click OK > click OK

3) Change all fonts sizes and types to tahoma and Trebuchet MS (XP style).

Edit: Another thread at AnandTech says to just disable 'smooth edges of screen fonts'
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=333998

- Viin
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1734 on: October 18, 2010, 01:35:21 PM

Hyundai K224W.  Same resolution as under XP (1680x1050).  60 Hz instead of the 59 Hz I ran under XP, but no way to change it.

I thought (2) was how to turn off cleartype.  Is there another setting for that?  (WTF can't MS put related settings in related windows for gods' sake?)  I know (2) doesn't work, and I think (3) is for system windows.  My only issue is in browsers.

I have the DVI cable in my bag.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1735 on: October 18, 2010, 01:56:59 PM

Optometrist maybe?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1736 on: October 18, 2010, 03:15:07 PM

Can you post some screenshots of what you are seeing?
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1737 on: October 18, 2010, 03:26:47 PM

Yeah screenshots will help narrow down rendering vs. monitor weirdness.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1738 on: October 18, 2010, 04:56:26 PM

Finding Cleartype and the DVI cable combined seemed to mostly get there.  Still not perfect, but much better.

Actually all the tab headings, menus, and system windows look terrible. awesome, for real

Edit:  I'm going to see if I can find a refresh rate hack.  I don't feel like reproducing all the combinations of Cleartype and font smoothing right now to get a dozen screen shots.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:59:29 PM by Lantyssa »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1739 on: October 18, 2010, 05:15:49 PM

Current settings:

Sample 1

Sample 2

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1740 on: October 18, 2010, 06:34:02 PM

It looks like for your desktop theme or your browser skin* you've picked a menu font that's a bitmapped font not a Open/TrueType font. Do you know what font it's using for the menu font?

Also you should run ClearType Tuner on your system -- your anti-aliasing looks wrong for your panel type.

* though you mentioned you have the same problem in IE so it's probably from a system-wide theme setting
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1741 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:41 PM

Most of those shots look fine to me, with the exception of the 'Administrator' font.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1742 on: October 18, 2010, 07:06:13 PM

It looks like for your desktop theme or your browser skin* you've picked a menu font that's a bitmapped font not a Open/TrueType font. Do you know what font it's using for the menu font?

Also you should run ClearType Tuner on your system -- your anti-aliasing looks wrong for your panel type.

* though you mentioned you have the same problem in IE so it's probably from a system-wide theme setting
I'm using the default Win 7 theme.  The only thing I changed is my desktop picture.

I've tried turning ClearType on and off, and turning it on goes through a four page wizard, which seems to make no difference.

Also I'm a Win 7 newbie.  I have no clue where, if they exist, any system refinements are.  All the systems I managed were XP until a month ago.  Which worked without giving me any crap.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1743 on: October 18, 2010, 11:21:20 PM

If you go to Fonts in Control Panel do you have Segoe UI installed? If you do make sure ClearType is turned on and go to Preview. Unfortunately it won't show a sample at 9 point which is what the default system menus and text are in but do things look okay there (i.e. not bitmapped)?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1744 on: October 19, 2010, 06:13:19 AM

Your samples look like my display.  I spent minimal time dicking with it before giving up.  I think I can resist being dissatisfied with my display but this post string is making it difficult.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1745 on: October 19, 2010, 06:26:01 AM

If you go to Fonts in Control Panel do you have Segoe UI installed? If you do make sure ClearType is turned on and go to Preview. Unfortunately it won't show a sample at 9 point which is what the default system menus and text are in but do things look okay there (i.e. not bitmapped)?
It is installed.

ClearType seems to be my problem.  After flipping switches for another thirty minutes (I couldn't read the boards in the last state I had it), I have ClearType off and Font Smoothing on.  Any title bars rendered by Aero seem a little off, but they're less off than general text going any other route.  I can probably get used to things as they are now.

Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1746 on: November 05, 2010, 05:37:47 AM

Anyone have a fix for stuck pixels? I have a cluster of pixels that turned white about a month ago, I was hoping it would sort itself out but not looking like it. I've seen programs that say they can fix it by flashing colors in the area to try and reset the pixels, but not sure if that's just BS.

This is my monitor.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1747 on: November 05, 2010, 06:31:19 AM

A new monitor will fix it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1748 on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:30 PM

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1749 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:26 AM

Anyone have a fix for stuck pixels? I have a cluster of pixels that turned white about a month ago, I was hoping it would sort itself out but not looking like it. I've seen programs that say they can fix it by flashing colors in the area to try and reset the pixels, but not sure if that's just BS.

This is my monitor.

Depends on the reason for them being stuck. I would try: Flashing colors, all white picture or leaving the monitor off for an extended period of time (24-48 hours.)
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: