Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186291 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1085 on: August 03, 2009, 01:14:05 AM

Any suggestions on something reliable (assuming Nero doesn't do the job)?

Been using the default program in Ubuntu for my ISO burns, zero coasters so far.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1086 on: August 03, 2009, 07:10:44 AM

As I thought, retardedness uncovered Ohhhhh, I see.. The CD drive option in Bios wasn't my CD drive, picked the right drive and am now posting from Windows 7. Seems nice so far but I never got Vista so getting used to the changes may take a little while.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1087 on: August 03, 2009, 09:25:13 PM

If I bring a LCD monitor overseas, do I need to do anything special besides getting the appropriate plug adapter?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1088 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:04 PM

I have an annoying problem since returning from holiday. Bear in mind that everyhting worked fine before going away for three weeks and the problem manifested itself from the first time I restarted my PC on my return.

I have a wireless network in my house consisting of a DSL box serving two PCs, an Xbox 360 and a PS3. If you're curious the DSL box is Vodafone's DSL Easy-Box 802. My PC only has intermittent internet connectivity, it will be fine for about a minute then drop for a couple of minutes and then start working again. This will repeat over and over. At the moment I'm watching the EvE client download (which resumes automatically) and I can see it's a fairly steady pattern of approximately 1 minute on, 3 minutes off. While I don't have internet connectivity, I do still have a network connection, I can browse the local network and the wireless network icon doesn't show any errors. I can access the DSL box config page at all times and monitor the connection which is reported as being fine - I can even test the connection from there which will succeed even when the internet connection on my PC is unavailable.

My wife's PC is fine and has an uninterrupted connection as are the two consoles so it's pretty clearly an issue with my machine.

I've reinstalled the wireless modem in my OC twice and, in desperation I've performed a clean reinstall of Windows as well (XP Home). At the moment I'm on a pretty much vanilla install with no updates as I can't download them reliably.

I've checked the connection settings via ipconfig and the TCP/IP properties and compared them with those on my wife's PC, they appear to be fine. The DSL box is the  DHCP server to all the machines and that appears to be in order too - there are no conflicts and Ive also tried manually assigning IP addresses across the networkand that makes no odds.

Running a network cable between my PC and the network box is out of the question as they are on different floors of my apartment and there is no convenient path from one to the other.

My DSL box clearly works, my wireless network card clearly works and I seem to have ruled out some fruity Windows issue so I don't understand what the problem could be.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1089 on: August 04, 2009, 01:05:27 AM

If I bring a LCD monitor overseas, do I need to do anything special besides getting the appropriate plug adapter?
Depends on the monitor's power supply/brick.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1090 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:52 AM

Running a network cable between my PC and the network box is out of the question as they are on different floors of my apartment and there is no convenient path from one to the other.
If your machine is the only one that's on and connecting wirelessly (i.e. the game boxes are off and your wife's PC is off) do you still have this problem?

Move your PC temporarily to the floor the router is on and use a cable to connect them.

If a cable works are you using any sort of security mechanisms to keep unauthorized machines for connecting wirelessly? If yes turn it/them off temporarily. If no turn it/them on temporarily.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1091 on: August 04, 2009, 01:30:38 AM

Nevermind, I'm a moron. My machine was still connected to a separate wired router that was providing our network in the weeks before Vodafone connected our DSL up. When I left for my holiday, I unplugged everything and it was off for long enough to reset itself to factory defaults. Thus I had two DHCP servers trying to assign me a network address. Once I unplugged it everything was fine.

Grrr.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: August 06, 2009, 12:49:14 PM

Firstly I'm running Windows 7, Sapphire HD Radeon 3650 on an Asus P6T with an i7 920 and 4gb RAM.

I'm back with a (hopefully) non-retarded question. With my newly revamped PC I finally got round to installing Fallout 3 but I've encountered some really fuckin annyoing crashes. First session was fine lasted an hour or so then quit the game and booted it up about 20 minutes later and suddenly after about 3 or 4 seconds of play the game would stop responding and I'd get a message saying the video card had rebooted. This continued every time I tried to play. After rebooting the box things improved insofar as after 3 or 4 seconds the screen would freeze for about 10 seconds, briefly switch to desktop and then let me play for another 3 or 4 seconds before repeating. I left the whole thing alone and started it up again today and got a few hours of playtime before quitting the program and the problem started all over again.

Prior to moving to Windows 7 I had a similar problem with DoW II demo on XP which crashed and gave me a message that my video card had stopped responding and been rebooted. I've installed the latest catalyst drivers and the 9.6 drivers. Neither seemed to help. Problem could be overheating I guess, the card seems to be running a little under 50C. I'm not sure if that's hot but it's also set for the lowest overclock settings which means overheats well within design parameters. I'm hoping this isn't the case.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1093 on: August 06, 2009, 12:55:17 PM

My 8800GTX pushes 80C on stuff like Crysis.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: August 06, 2009, 01:08:11 PM

So probably not an overheating issue as far as I can see but something seems to be screwing with it. I'm not convinced it's a driver issue just because different drivers seem to have made no difference and it can play without a problem. I've got a 750w PSU so it shouldn't be a power issue either but it seems to be something related to the vid card. Have I just got a bum card?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1095 on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:03 PM

Could be RAM or mobo, too.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1096 on: August 06, 2009, 04:01:57 PM

Hey that's a huge help, now I have to worry about everything else I just bought! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1097 on: August 06, 2009, 04:08:57 PM

What keyboard are you using? I had VERY strange problems that I thought were anywhere from failing blue ray player to virus infection, and it turned out it was my POS $100.00 Razer keyboard that, after a month of use, is now in the trashcan.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: August 06, 2009, 04:16:37 PM

Hmm.. Got an MS ergonomic keyboard. Might give my old PS/2 connecting one a shot just to make sure though.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1099 on: August 06, 2009, 04:25:48 PM

Have you physically inspected the card to make sure the fan is unobstructed, the heat sink is still attached and isn't clogged with dust wolves, the memory heatsinks are still there, and the video card power connection is secure? And that the fan is spinning when on of course. Next I'd go to the catalyst control center > overdrive and see what the fan is defaulting to. Then perhaps turn it to 80% or so and see if that makes a difference. You could be overheating the memory chips on the card itself.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: August 06, 2009, 04:50:36 PM

Physical inspection of the card and it seems fine. Big plastic thing covering the fan/chip so it's not impossible that there's something wrong there but it doesn't feel hand meltingly hot right after shut down. Got the message (and game properly crashing) again and it says that the driver stopped responding. Tried a few different versions of the catalyst drivers and all seem to do the same thing, could the drivers just be borked for my card (this would include the drivers on the CD with the card and the ones on the manufacturers website)?

Catalyst control centre seems to suggest the card is running at absoilute minimum, processor is 300mhz and memory is 500mhz. Hitting the autotune button just results in a window saying the system is being tested that stays there until I hit cancel. I've left it for about an hour before and nothing happened.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1101 on: August 06, 2009, 07:17:22 PM

I'd remove all driver bits, guru3d I think has a tool for it. DriverSweeper or some such. Then fresh install latest Catalyst. Sounds like something in your driver install is borked.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: August 08, 2009, 08:03:05 AM

Tried that and it seems to have made absolutely no difference. It isn't unplayable simply because sometimes it will happily play with almost no problems whatsoever for hours. It's even crashed and restarted the program a-ok. Then I'll shut it down, boot it back up 3 minutes later and it starts the crash cycle again. It's persisting and changing stuff doesn't seem to be doing anything (drivers a couple of times and tried swapping it between different PCI-e slots). I'm now getting bored trying to do anything or figure out what's wrong and since I can still play a bit I think I'm just going to write it up as a fucking annoyance. If it persists in all games (still haven't got round to trying anything else) I may start throwing things at walls to calm down.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1103 on: August 08, 2009, 09:00:55 AM

Sapphire is pretty good for warranty in my limited experience with them, might want to give them a call. Or pick up a $30 video card and use that to isolate the problem.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: August 08, 2009, 09:10:03 AM

Yeah, since it seemed to happen in XP 32 and W7 64 I'm going to guess it isn't actually a driver issue even though the message I get is, "The driver stopped responding." Will have a look at borrowing a Vid card or getting a cheap piece of crap for testing purposes. Thanks for the suggestions in the thread guys.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1105 on: August 09, 2009, 08:56:59 AM

Tried that and it seems to have made absolutely no difference. It isn't unplayable simply because sometimes it will happily play with almost no problems whatsoever for hours. It's even crashed and restarted the program a-ok. Then I'll shut it down, boot it back up 3 minutes later and it starts the crash cycle again. It's persisting and changing stuff doesn't seem to be doing anything (drivers a couple of times and tried swapping it between different PCI-e slots). I'm now getting bored trying to do anything or figure out what's wrong and since I can still play a bit I think I'm just going to write it up as a fucking annoyance. If it persists in all games (still haven't got round to trying anything else) I may start throwing things at walls to calm down.
My system was exhibiting something similar earlier this year.  I spent a lot of time and effort trying to track it down (and a new vid card, because the symptoms were perfect for a fried GPU).  It was something at the system level though, because after a full format, things worked perfectly.

I think it was left-overs from an unpleasant little virus I got, or the Mass Effect DRM.  All my problems seemed to start in earnest after I installed it. sad

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1106 on: August 11, 2009, 07:37:09 AM

Need a bit of help, my in laws PC got badly virused I came over to fix it none of the browsers were working so I tried to reinstall IE. I know it was dumb but I uninstalled the original nonworking one and it removed some important DLLs and I can only assume regvalues so now Windows Explorer doesn't work and I can only access Data through Taskmgr which is having issues aswell. I can't reinstall the IE8 this way as it tells me the crytographic services now aren't working. Anyway I have a boot repair CD and I have mini XP running off it, using which I have removed a couple of nasty viruses. The best solution it seems is running a boot repair off the Windows XP CD. I have this CD but the version I have doesn't have the option for Repair, only an option to format install Windows which is not an option or the recovery console. I can't easily backup their data either as the Harddrive is an old IDE drive and I only have SATA connections on my PC so I can't do a crossover only option there is to burn off a dozen DVDs. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a Boot CD with the Windows-repair option I have the legit XP serial key? Actually the XP CD I have is Windows Professional and they are running Home Edition so I need that disc it seems but not easy to get your hands on, any tips welcome.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:28:58 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1107 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:33 AM

Uninstalling IE8 should not have horked your OS. I think that's a bi-product of your infection.

You could probably futz around with media and get Windows reinstalled/repaired, but to be honest, at this stage, between the viruses and your horked explorer (the windows 'gui'), I'd say you are better off copying vital files to a thumb drive and then reinstalling. I'd do this via a Ubuntu or Fedora live CD since that OS would probably prevent infection of the thumdrive (allowing, of course, that the files you're copying aren't themselves infected).

That said, if you are hell bent on recovering the OS, you may want to use Task Manager to run 'cmd.exe' and then running a chkdsk command with the appropriate flags. Chkdsk can often recover vital OS files that are corrupted or missing.

If that works, I'd then want to run an off-line scan of your system, so I would suggest installing Avast! antivirus that, upon its first installation, asks you if you want to run a 'at boot time' scan. I've found it useful in removing some pretty entrenched virii in the past. Others may have other solutions.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1108 on: August 11, 2009, 08:37:36 AM

I can't easily backup their data either as the Harddrive is an old IDE drive and I only have SATA connections on my PC so I can't do a crossover only option there is to burn off a dozen DVDs.
Buy an external hard drive case that accepts IDE drives and plug that into your computer using USB or FireWire (depending on what the case provides and what your computer accepts).

You are going to have to reinstall Windows. Trying to repair it is not a long term solution since even if you somehow manage to get it working things will still be fucked up from the malware that's still there.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: August 11, 2009, 09:58:26 AM

You could also get one of these, though the external case would come in useful beyond this instance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1110 on: August 11, 2009, 09:59:36 AM

You are going to have to reinstall Windows. Trying to repair it is not a long term solution since even if you somehow manage to get it working things will still be fucked up from the malware that's still there.

Do this grab a hard drive caddy with both connectors or something like this converter so you can connect it right to another PC.

Format format format, your going to waste tons of time trying to repair the damage and never know if its fixed say if there is some damage their pc suffered that effects the install of further patches. Backup their hard drive some how. Take the XP CD, download the latest drivers for their computer and grab sp3, and a copy of nlite. Slipstream in the patch to the cd and the drivers using nlite and reinstall.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1111 on: August 11, 2009, 10:17:53 AM

Thanks fellas I'll look at getting one of those adapters somewhere. Also yeh I agree I got some pretty nasty viruses on my own PC recently and the only solution was a fresh install. Problem is in that case I had no CD but I was able to mirror a working OS from the original HDD in this case there's no mirror or no XP CD hrrumph hate Windows more and more, but alas it's the old folks and they won't take Ubuntu kindly so the age old question where to get my hands on Windows XP install CD?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: August 11, 2009, 10:44:09 PM

no XP CD hrrumph hate Windows more and more, but alas it's the old folks and they won't take Ubuntu kindly so the age old question where to get my hands on Windows XP install CD?

Don't hate XP, hate the system builder that didn't include a CD. It was common till late I think up to a year ago dell charged extra for an OEM branded install disc.

If your lucky there might be an i386 directory on the hard drive for "reinstall" self recovery/CD tool vendors sometimes use. You can take the i386 directory (check it for virii) and load it into nlite as an install source to hopefully build an install CD.

Legally? Contact your system builder and buy a CD.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1113 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:58 AM

Her old man is going into the city to collect one of those IDE converters tomorrow, in the meantime I've tracked down a Windows XP CD and doing a repair install see how it works after that. And you are correct Fuser this was a Dell machine so no CD in the box but I had one lying around from an old PC from years ago. Funny thing is I hear it's illegal to download and share the Windows install but yet if they don't give you the CD so you need to purchase it even though it is bundled with your machine, total sham if you ask me.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: August 12, 2009, 07:35:07 PM

Ok I managed to do repair install and then a boot run scan with Avast which got rid of another 3 virii, PC is running pretty smooth now. To be on the safe side I'm gonna back everything up with that IDE converter and if it relapses just do a reformat. Thanks for the advice guys was a good platform.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: August 13, 2009, 02:04:32 AM

How on earth did they get that badly infected in the first place? Does someone have a secret porn obsession or something? Or just not know enough to never, ever click random email links?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1116 on: August 13, 2009, 05:42:38 AM

they come in bundles these days. one acts as a gate-opener, then others come in and root about.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1117 on: August 13, 2009, 03:52:53 PM

About 3-4 days ago my router started giving me trouble with wireless. It's really weird because my downloads go fast, but websites either don't load or go really slow. MSN also pops up a connection error saying changes made might not be saved to the server. I can't figure this out. I've changed the channels on the router, but no dice. What else could be the problem?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1118 on: August 13, 2009, 04:35:03 PM

Just taking a wild stab in the dark: proxy settings for your browser? (If it's on 'auto' turn it off, if it's off turn it on 'auto').

Edit: did you reboot the router? Does it work fine over Ethernet?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:37:07 PM by Viin »

- Viin
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1119 on: August 13, 2009, 04:47:35 PM

Changed proxy setting in Firefox to auto from  being off.

I rebooted the router twice through the GUI, twice by power cycle and even factory reset it. Nothing fixed the problem. Last I checked, ethernet was fine, but I'll take another look.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: