Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186494 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1050 on: July 23, 2009, 02:50:36 PM

The larger ones are called "molex" I believe, and I will be happy when they are phased out.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: July 23, 2009, 04:43:27 PM

It's just two different ways to power the fan.  Most motherboards have a few 3/4 pin fan connectors, but not all do, so molex is an alternative power connector.

Much like Yeg, I will be very happy when the molex connectors are phased out.  I've given myself so many cuts trying to separate stuck pieces.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:51 AM

Most modern motherboards have at least 3, if not 4 or 5 connectors. They should be 3 pronged males that look the end of the connector you just posted a picture of.

There was nothing on the mother board that would accept that fitting.

This is the motherboard.

The other end is so you can daisy chain device power lines together.

Ahhh, I see now.

Anyway, all is fine, nothing blew up!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1053 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:46 AM

Most modern motherboards have at least 3, if not 4 or 5 connectors. They should be 3 pronged males that look the end of the connector you just posted a picture of.

This is the motherboard.

There are 4 of those on that motherboard. Two by the heat pipe for the chipset cooler, two on the edge by the ram slots.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:45 AM

This is the motherboard.

There are 4 of those on that motherboard. Two by the heat pipe for the chipset cooler, two on the edge by the ram slots.

I'm talking about the big white ends, with the 4 posts. There is no connection for that. As I said before, in the image I posted, the two leads go right to the fan, and are attached, it does not have that connector (small, 2-3 prong)

The octopus of a power supply has two stands of this:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:18:22 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1055 on: July 24, 2009, 08:37:03 AM

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I was under the impression that the fans themselves had a wire with a 3 'hole' small female power connector. The cable adapter you posted a picture of earlier can be used if all your motherboard connectors are taken.

Are you saying that the fans themselves do not have the standard 3 prong female end, but end in a molex (the 4 pronged larger connector)? Or are you saying that although they do have a 3 prong small female connector, its just way too short to plug into the motherboard?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: July 24, 2009, 08:41:02 AM

Are you saying that the fans themselves do not have the standard 3 prong female end, but end in a molex (the 4 pronged larger connector)?

Yep. X2, one is male and one is female. The two wire lead to the fan is not removable.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: July 24, 2009, 09:13:17 AM

Molex connects to the power supply.  Fans do not have to be plugged into the motherboard unless you have some burning desire for every auxillery fan to report its speed in BIOS, in which case go get a different fan.

It just needs power.  Find the matching end and plug it in.  It'll be fine.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:33 PM

Molex connects to the power supply.  Fans do not have to be plugged into the motherboard unless you have some burning desire for every auxillery fan to report its speed in BIOS, in which case go get a different fan.

It just needs power.  Find the matching end and plug it in.  It'll be fine.

Yep, figured that out already =)

The pink machine ran all night with out going into flames!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1059 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:06 PM

Two words: wire nuts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1060 on: July 24, 2009, 05:08:40 PM

In fact, I found out that some 12 cm low RPM fans purposefully do not have the 3rd wire and only provide molex because they are specialized fans only meant for low noise, low RPM.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1061 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:49 PM

If I have this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Besides getting a plug adapter, is there anything other special equipment I would need in order to run the PC on a foreign country's powergrid?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1062 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:51 PM

No. Though you might want to buy a UPS over there depending on the country and how long you are staying there.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1063 on: July 26, 2009, 11:52:04 PM

Europe also runs at 50 hertz. The PSU should tell you if it can handle the 10 hertz drop from the US to EU.

Some info here

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1064 on: July 27, 2009, 04:31:28 PM

Yeah, it says Input Frequency Range     50/60 Hz.

So should I notice zero difference when plugging into a different grid, since it seems the PSU can use so many different grades of power?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1065 on: July 27, 2009, 04:51:44 PM

I'd say so. Unless there's some weird manufacturing shortcut where the parts will 'sorta' work in a different country for a while, but have a greatly reduced lifespan since they weren't -really- made for a different voltage/freq. I have no earthly idea tho.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1066 on: July 27, 2009, 05:36:31 PM

Yeah, it says Input Frequency Range     50/60 Hz.

So should I notice zero difference when plugging into a different grid, since it seems the PSU can use so many different grades of power?
Correct. It's a "universal" power supply cause it supports 50/60 Hz, 100 - 240 Volts.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: July 31, 2009, 04:45:33 AM

Since I installed my new motherboard and PSU I don't have a cd-rom/dvd-drive connected, because I need the two IDE slots for my two hard drives.

So I have started to use nocd-patches to still be able to run my non-steam games.

Now I have Kapersky Anti Virus installed and all (every single one of them) of my "fixed" exes come up with a keylogger alert. I got them from various sources, a scan of the files does not show anything unusual. I would not be suprised if I got a few infected files, but all of them ? What has the world come to ?

What struck me as odd is that only Kapersky gives a keylogger alert, Avast or AVG did not recognize anything. System scans show nothing as well.

Now I am wondering if Kapersky is the problem.  awesome, for real

Also recomendations for good scan/clean AV software would be much appreciated.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1068 on: July 31, 2009, 05:00:48 AM

Where did you get your no-CD patches from?

I've seen this "discrepancy" with trainer programs where one scanner would flag one as a key logger but others wouldn't. I chalked it up to that scanner being "overly sensitive" to keyboard traps (don't remember the scanner but it wasn't Kapersky) which some trainers have so they can activate trainer functions from within the game (I deleted the trainer anyways just in case). I don't see why, though, a no-CD hacked game executable would need to do the same sort of keyboard hack unless the original executable has the same code in it and therefore would be flagged by Kaspersky as well.

It could be there's some other common no-CD hack pattern that is similiar to a pattern within a key logger that Kaspersky is triggering off of but I don't know what that might be.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: July 31, 2009, 05:57:25 AM

Where did you get your no-CD patches from?

I've seen this "discrepancy" with trainer programs where one scanner would flag one as a key logger but others wouldn't. I chalked it up to that scanner being "overly sensitive" to keyboard traps (don't remember the scanner but it wasn't Kapersky) which some trainers have so they can activate trainer functions from within the game (I deleted the trainer anyways just in case). I don't see why, though, a no-CD hacked game executable would need to do the same sort of keyboard hack unless the original executable has the same code in it and therefore would be flagged by Kaspersky as well.

It could be there's some other common no-CD hack pattern that is similiar to a pattern within a key logger that Kaspersky is triggering off of but I don't know what that might be.

Hm. Gamecopyworld is one of them, a few I got from torrent sites.

What I don't get is that the alarm only goes of if I run the file (and only if Kapersky is active, Avast and AVG remain silent), scans of the file or the whole directory or the whole archive show nothing.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1070 on: July 31, 2009, 06:04:51 AM

Well it could be the exe code is obfuscated in some way so a file scan isn't picking things up but when the code actually runs in memory Kapersky is picking up an attempt to trap keyboard events or something of that natureal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:44:56 AM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1071 on: July 31, 2009, 08:38:53 AM

Buy a goddamned Lite-On SATA optical, ya teutonic twat.

$20 or risk getting a keylogger/virus/aids/whatever. Tough one.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: July 31, 2009, 09:24:52 AM

Buy a goddamned Lite-On SATA optical, ya teutonic twat.

$20 or risk getting a keylogger/virus/aids/whatever. Tough one.
Got the drive already. I just need to install it.  awesome, for real

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: July 31, 2009, 10:05:54 AM

Also recomendations for good scan/clean AV software would be much appreciated.  awesome, for real

Microsoft security essentials  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

MSE is aimed first and foremost at users who either can’t or won’t pay for antivirus/anti-malware software. There will be no registration required, no trials with an expiration date or required renewals. But Microsoft is restricting the MSE download (both the beta and final) to PCs running Genuine Windows

It's in beta right now Vista/7 (32/64bit) and XP (32bit) for unlimited installs on non production systems.

Dig around and you can find it (but for god sake check the md5/sha signatures).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:33:36 AM by fuser »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: July 31, 2009, 10:22:54 AM

Oddly enough, clicking on the MSE link caused IE to lock up and require a complete reboot  Ohhhhh, I see.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: July 31, 2009, 10:33:19 AM

Sorry about that flash heavy site that had some info (switching links to another review print link)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: August 02, 2009, 12:22:47 PM

So the other day something in my computer finally snapped and shat itself. Instant diagnosis was either the graphics card or motherboard since the screen was suddenly filled with artifacting and upon trying to reboot it simply refused to do anything for an hour or two. Power light and fans, etc. came on but nothing else. When it finally did boot to Bios there was lots of artifacting and XP wouldn't load. I've been putting off an upgrade for a while and most of the system was 5 years old (Graphics card was closer to 7 ACK!) so went out today and bought myself a shiny i7 with a new MB, RAM, PSU and a cheap Radeon 3650 I plan to upgrade. Installed it all (first time, go me) and the only problem I've got is the power LED doesn't seem to be in right but I think that's down to a slightly weird set up issue and is made up for by the fact that the internal temperature LED is now finally working on the case.

My problem however is that I want to now move to Windows 7 RC, ideally the 64 version. I've downloaded and burned the iso to a DVD but can't install from XP since it's the 32 bit version and the DVD doesn't seem to be bootable. Trying to run it just gives me a message to boot from it which doesn't help. Am I doing something stupid? How do I get this bugger to work so I can enjoy the full upgrade experience?

I also bought a new keyboard since my old one had a couple of keys where the springs had failed. The new one is a lightweight USB thing that's too thin and not very tactile, I now understand Schild's dislike of them.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1077 on: August 02, 2009, 12:56:14 PM

Have you checked your BIOS to see if the CD drive comes before the HD in boot priority?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:04 PM

Yeah, I even made sure by disabling everything except the CD drive as a boot device and just got a message that I need to insert bootable media or restart. The .iso image seems to be good but won't work as a boot device.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: August 02, 2009, 03:54:31 PM

When you burned the .iso image did you specify that you were making a bootable DVD? When I make one with Nero I have to specifically choose to make a bootable disk.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1080 on: August 02, 2009, 04:58:19 PM

Ya, that's my other suspicion. Might want to burn the iso using something very basic, like the default burn interface that comes with Windows, rather than a program like Nero or Roxio.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: August 02, 2009, 05:17:58 PM

That could be it. Burned the disc with Alcohol and there doesn't seem to be any option to make a bootable anything there. Followed an on-line guide that used imgburn that also lacked this option (though the guide strongly suggested, as in basically said, that this should work as a bootable disc). Installing Nero now to give that a whirl but I don't seem to have any default DVD burning program bundled with windows. Any suggestions on something reliable (assuming Nero doesn't do the job)?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1082 on: August 02, 2009, 05:46:47 PM

Did you actually download the ISO or did you make it yourself from a set of files? There's nothing special you need to do to make an ISO that was made to be bootable into a bootable CD/DVD -- you just burn it. But if your ISO wasn't made to be bootable you need to remake the ISO so that it is, or burn the individual files from the ISO using something like Nero and tell Nero to make a bootable DVD.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: August 02, 2009, 06:24:41 PM

Using the official straight from MS iso image to burn. I get the feeling I'm just doing something stupid because it seems ridiculous the 64 bit version iso would be borked. However the CD drive works and I even used it to do a fresh XP install before trying to move with the times. I might have a go at burning and booting with a 32 bit version of W7 tomorrow and see if I have any more luck.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1084 on: August 02, 2009, 11:58:18 PM

It could be a corrupt download, or your burning process is getting corrupted. I burn a lot of CDs/DVDs at work of bootable OSs, etc, and one out of, say, 5 gets horked in the burn. Its an imperfect science.

One thing that I do sometimes is turn the burn speed down one notch from max. I know it, probably has zero technical merit, but part of me thinks that a slower burn is a more careful burn with less chance of corruption.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: