Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186352 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:46 PM

Oh, yea, sorry. The default was 100. I set them to 76 based on what Intel said was the max temp for this processor. So I set it back to default. As you would suspect, the numbers increased by 24 smiley

CPU: Quad Q9550 (forgot to add: 2.83GHz)
Temp being reported: 56, 55, 53, 53 (all celcius)
Delta from TJ Max: 44, 45, 47, 47

And you had asked specifically about "CPUID". I couldn't find it originally but saw this in the *.ini file. Says "CPUID=0x1067A".
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:50:17 PM by Darniaq »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #841 on: June 01, 2009, 05:27:00 PM

Are those idle or load temps?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: June 01, 2009, 05:31:08 PM

Idle (3-4% load). Based on one night of Folding@Home (45-50% load) and Battle Forge (13-17% load), temperature seemed to jump up about 12C. I'm headed into Fallout 3 while the log is running to see if it's the same for that too.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #843 on: June 01, 2009, 05:40:34 PM

Oh, yea, sorry. The default was 100. I set them to 76 based on what Intel said was the max temp for this processor. So I set it back to default. As you would suspect, the numbers increased by 24 smiley

CPU: Quad Q9550 (forgot to add: 2.83GHz)
Temp being reported: 56, 55, 53, 53 (all celcius)
Delta from TJ Max: 44, 45, 47, 47

And you had asked specifically about "CPUID". I couldn't find it originally but saw this in the *.ini file. Says "CPUID=0x1067A".
Okay that's more reasonable. Idle temps look a little high by about 5C but going back and looking at your graph I think you are okay CPU cooling-wise now.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: June 01, 2009, 05:43:08 PM

Those temps don't seem a bit high, Trippy?  I mean, my Q6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz is sitting at 36-38C idle, and mid 50's on load, with ambient temp of about 22C.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:41 PM

Ok, just ran Fallout 3 for a few minutes. Results as expected: about 10-12C increase on CPUs with a goodly jump in GPU from 56C to 76C on average.

@SnakeCharmer: definitely interested in that answer too smiley But in struggling to find this exact chip on the Intel Finder tool, I see there's quite a range of max/load temps. There can be some good variance even in the same family. I wish I was running RealTemp before my CPU blew though so I had a frame of reference.

@Trippy: Thanks!

Today I moved some of the fans around. The 120mm in the back seems real wimpy though. Any contemporary advice on a good 120mm?
Keep in mind the larger fans run slower.  They can still move a lot of air when they feel like they are not doing much because of their increased area. (2.25 increase in area for the 80mm -> 120mm)
Good point. Seems like I'm doing ok atm, so I'll probably hold off on new fans.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #846 on: June 01, 2009, 05:54:10 PM

Those temps don't seem a bit high, Trippy?  I mean, my Q6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz is sitting at 36-38C idle, and mid 50's on load, with ambient temp of about 22C.
From what I can tell given a "standard" (read "non-enthusiast") cooling setup that CPU should idle at around 50C. With a better heatsink/fan and case cooling you can drop it 10C or more but we haven't gotten to that point yet with Darniaq's setup.

Also, unless you know what the Tjunction Max value is for your Intel Core CPU and your temperature monitoring program has it set correctly, you can't trust temperature numbers.

Edit: Actually you can't trust the temperature numbers even if you know the Tjunction Max cause the sensor in the CPU isn't that accurate, and the sensor in the 45nm CPUs are much worse than the 65nm CPUs.

The sensor is more accurate the closer you get to Tjunction Max but the further away you are (i.e. the cooler the CPU) the less accurate the reading.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:59:11 PM by Trippy »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: June 01, 2009, 06:51:52 PM

Whoa.  Lots of stuff way over my head.

Anyway, both Real Temp and Speed Fan are reporting identical temps each, and they equal to whats being reported in the bios, so I feel safe, I guess. 

@ Darniaq:  For whatever its work, I'm using a ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler and Antec 900 case, using the 4 stock fans all set to 'low' speed, except the very back one set at medium since it's the one that's closest to the CPU fan.  Whisper quiet, with (apparently) good cooling.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: June 01, 2009, 07:24:27 PM

With your machine only getting a 10-12C increase under load I would say your cooling is fine.

This is less of a question and more of a "give a hoot, don't be a dumbass": in thinking on how to get Demigod to actually connect to other players, I suddenly got the idea that I should put my DSL modem into DMZ mode.  After all, the only thing connecting to it is my router, which does NAT.
I'm uncomfortable setting my main machine as the DMZ since then my router isn't acting as a dumb firewall.  I don't trust my neighbors enough to not be spewing gunk all over the network.  If it's a little more of a hassle to stop their traffic dead at the router, it's worth it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #849 on: June 02, 2009, 08:18:34 AM

This is less of a question and more of a "give a hoot, don't be a dumbass": in thinking on how to get Demigod to actually connect to other players, I suddenly got the idea that I should put my DSL modem into DMZ mode.  After all, the only thing connecting to it is my router, which does NAT.  In any case, I wasn't able to see a magical improvement in Demigod but I did finally pass a utorrent port-forward test (after I put the new port number into my router's port-forwarding list).  I also decided to enable security on the DSL modem's wireless adapter even though I have it turned off, and I set it to channel 3 (my router uses channel 1) because I don't trust machines.  I am pretty sure that I am not imagining a slight speed boost, but then again I might be.

For peer to peer games you should usually start with setting yourself up on a static ip, then setup some port forwarding.  Sadly the games wont always tell you what ports to forward.  You want to pull off something like this.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #850 on: June 02, 2009, 09:44:32 AM

I like how the guide you linked doesn't mention setting a static IP for yourself.  It also doesn't mention what happens if you do this and have UPnP enabled. awesome, for real

Anyway, I have set up port-range forwarding on the router (and have had a static IP on my rig for a while, for great justice), although the first comment about port-triggering is interesting.  I might give that one a try since I'm trusting some guy on the internet as to which ports Demigod uses.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #851 on: June 02, 2009, 03:08:08 PM

I want to dual boot OSX and have my own HackinTosh running. It's to help a friend out with something he's working on. I'm not asking for someone to link me to illegal software, I just want all the steps outside of that.

I stumbled upon these two links: how to dual boot and common issues. Anything else I should know?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #852 on: June 02, 2009, 04:36:43 PM

I like how the guide you linked doesn't mention setting a static IP for yourself.  It also doesn't mention what happens if you do this and have UPnP enabled. awesome, for real

Anyway, I have set up port-range forwarding on the router (and have had a static IP on my rig for a while, for great justice), although the first comment about port-triggering is interesting.  I might give that one a try since I'm trusting some guy on the internet as to which ports Demigod uses.

I just grabbed a link off google without reading it, there are tons of guides on how to setup a Static IP, I think that uTorrent has a built in link to guides even.  There is a dsl related site that gives you guides for almost any router under the sun.  Anyways google that shit yourself, sorry that link sucked.  But really as long as you can get into your router's settings in a browser window its all pretty easy to fiddle with and find it yourself.  Its figuring out the game's ports that is usually a bitch in the f2p korean game world.

http://portforward.com/    <--- has a static ip setup guide, since you need it to port forward. 

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=185319

That's a useful thread with some basics and the port settings for ps3/360, might as well do it all while your fucking with your router.

More Port Forwarding Infoz
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:25:54 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #853 on: June 02, 2009, 08:55:58 PM

I know how to forward ports, but as it so happens Demigod is a piece of shit even after the 1.01 patch.  The PS3/360 port info is pretty useful, though, except my 360 doesn't like having a static IP for whatever reason (it's made of garbage and chinese fingertips).

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: June 02, 2009, 09:30:05 PM

Not quite sure how to put this...but do drivers degrade over time?  Degrade may not be the right word, but up until about a week ago, everything was fine.  Now my system is hanging up on startup (Vista Prem 64) at two specific places.  Either when the horizontal progress bar is up, or just shortly thereafter when the mouse pointer appears on the screen.  At first, I thought it was my mouse (Razer DeathAdder - still think it might be) because it wasn't going through its second 'power up' after boot.  So I updated my drivers and it went away for a couple days.  Then the keyboard (G15) started acting a bit wonky on start up, but not going through its second power up cycle.  The mouse is connected to a USB port on the keyboard, so the problem may be starting at the KB.  Is there any way to find a log of any errors on start up?  It does this specifically on start up without fail after being powered off for a few hours.  It seems to correct itself (without fail) by pressing the reset button during the hang on going through the motions again. 

Am updating my G15 drivers and software tonight.  Hopefully this fixes it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #855 on: June 03, 2009, 05:37:06 AM

Not quite sure how to put this...but do drivers degrade over time?

Yes.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: June 03, 2009, 09:25:08 AM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #857 on: June 03, 2009, 02:42:18 PM

Edit: Fixed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:15:39 PM by NiX »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: June 05, 2009, 05:48:57 PM

Finally got an enclosure for my old busted 250gb drive. In the enclosure, my PC sees the drive, but can't mount it. I tried a few programs, but none of them see the volume itself.

I'm not really sure just how borked this thing is. Are there any good programs that will a) recognize something, whatever it is, attached; and, b) tell me the type of broken it is and whether it's fixable?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #859 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:35 PM

If you run Computer Management (or whatever the equivalent is on Vista if you are using that) and look at Disk Management, do you see the drive there? If so what state does it think the drive is in? E.g. does it see a partition or does it think there's no partition on it at all?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: June 06, 2009, 02:40:19 AM

I had a fairly similar problem a while back. Somehow (I assume my brother) the USB connector on my seagate external broke. So I had to take it apart, which was difficult as those things are built like tanks. Once I had the hard disk I tried putting it a new enclosure, connecting it and nothing happened. I waited a few months, tried again, and it works.  swamp poop

Keep trying!  awesome, for real
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: June 06, 2009, 05:01:44 AM

Thanks. @Trippy: I'll let you know. Right now I'm running GetBackData for NTFS on the other external drive which seems borked. It's 11 hours into its 4 hour process  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Dion
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: June 06, 2009, 07:34:28 AM

Just a quick question, right now I have 2 gig RAM (2x Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024mb) but I want more. I'm looking at more (Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5
Kit w/2x 2GB XMS2-6400 dimm's, CL5-5-5-18, 800MHz) but I'm not sure my motherboard can handle it. I have an Asus P5N-D, nForce-750i SLI.

Also, right now I have a GeForce 9600GT 512mb, would it be better to buy a new completely new graphic card or just to get another 9600 and run with that?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #863 on: June 06, 2009, 08:01:36 AM

Just a quick question, right now I have 2 gig RAM (2x Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 1024mb) but I want more. I'm looking at more (Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5
Kit w/2x 2GB XMS2-6400 dimm's, CL5-5-5-18, 800MHz) but I'm not sure my motherboard can handle it. I have an Asus P5N-D, nForce-750i SLI.
What speed is your memory bus running at right now? The RAM you have in there now is actually too slow for your motherboard (or more accurately not rated as fast as the max memory bus speed for your MB). You should be running PC6400 RAM in there (800 MHz memory bus speed). If you are running at 667 MHz (PC5300) you could try running your old RAM at 800 MHz to match the new kit you are looking at or you might have to run the new kit at the slower speed. I.e. you have to run both kits at the same speed.

Also, right now I have a GeForce 9600GT 512mb, would it be better to buy a new completely new graphic card or just to get another 9600 and run with that?
Get a new card.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #864 on: June 06, 2009, 09:48:03 AM

corsairmemory.com has a great tool that lets you look these things up btw.

-William Gibson
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #865 on: June 06, 2009, 11:06:13 AM

I have a dual memory type motherboard, with 4 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3.

240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking:   4 (2 banks of 2)
240-pin DDR3 DIMM Banking:   2 (2 banks of 1)
Chipset:   Intel P35
DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies:   PC2-5300, PC2-6400 and PC2-8500
DDR3 SDRAM Frequencies:   PC3-6400, PC3-8500 and PC3-10600

I run a Core2Duo E6750. I am currently running DDR2 memory. Can I run DDR3 memory with the current cpu, or do I have to upgrade to a different CPU? Also, would it even be worth it if (would DDR3 be faster than DDR2). I know back when I got this board, DDR3 speeds were not faster than DDR2s.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Dion
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: June 06, 2009, 02:55:18 PM

What speed is your memory bus running at right now? The RAM you have in there now is actually too slow for your motherboard (or more accurately not rated as fast as the max memory bus speed for your MB). You should be running PC6400 RAM in there (800 MHz memory bus speed). If you are running at 667 MHz (PC5300) you could try running your old RAM at 800 MHz to match the new kit you are looking at or you might have to run the new kit at the slower speed. I.e. you have to run both kits at the same speed.

Is ripping out my old RAM and just put in the new a viable option? That might be easier and 6 gig RAM is dirt cheap right now.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #867 on: June 06, 2009, 07:00:16 PM

Is ripping out my old RAM and just put in the new a viable option? That might be easier and 6 gig RAM is dirt cheap right now.
Certainly.
Dion
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: June 07, 2009, 02:44:25 AM

Thanks for the help.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #869 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53:30 AM

If you run Computer Management (or whatever the equivalent is on Vista if you are using that) and look at Disk Management, do you see the drive there? If so what state does it think the drive is in? E.g. does it see a partition or does it think there's no partition on it at all?

Just a note that I believe diskmgmt.msc still exists, I recall using it while setting up W7.  It actually worked for activating some disks, although I don't know why they were not active in the first place.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: June 09, 2009, 08:12:03 PM

I would love for someone to tell me how to keep my PS3 from kicking my pc and wife's laptop offline everytime I start it up...And if you can do it in the most simple, layman's terms possible I'd greatly appreciate it.  Using a linksys WRT54GS router.
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #871 on: June 10, 2009, 12:27:40 AM

I would guess it's a DHCP issue. DHCP (as I understand it) is a protocol that allows things like routers etc to easily add other devices to your network and to manage the connections without conflicts.

You'll need your router manual. Find out how to access the router configuration - usually it's accessed by pointing your browser at an IP like http://10.0.0.x/ and entering an admin username & password, but check the router manual.

Then you want to find the "DHCP" part of the configuration page and enable DHCP server, save settings and exit. If that doesn't work then someone more knowledgeable than me will have to help you out  why so serious?

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:59 AM

Or if you can, set the PS3 to a static address.  I don't have one, so I don't know how their network config works.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #873 on: June 10, 2009, 10:22:23 AM

On the PS3, it's in the Settings column.  Go down to Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings, choose Custom and somewhere in there find IP Address Setting and choose Manual.  Set it to something not used by another computer/device.  If you set it to the same IP as, say, your wife's laptop then you're in for a bad time.  Everyone gets their own IP address.

You can also choose Automatic (it's DHCP, meaning the router picks an IP for you) and this should work fine, but a static IP will open up other possibilities that can be saved for a later time.

Edit: I suppose I can say something about picking an IP address although I can't remember a lot about your previous post on this.  You will have a range of IP for your LAN, probably 192.168.x.x (you can specify this but let's focus!), so by way of example I chose 192.168.1.150 for my PC's IP address.  DHCP won't pick this one to assign out but it's probably a good idea to choose something that isn't the one your wife's laptop has already.  Otherwise we will have to have you do a ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew or other onerous bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:27:19 AM by Yegolev »

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:24 AM

So far, everything is set to automatic on every machine.  I reset everything last night and put everything on default settings, with the wireless access set to WPA Personal requiring a key for access.  So far, the PS3 kicks a random machine off for about 5 seconds, until the router decides to give whatever machine was kicked off a new IP address.  Its like the PS3 says 'I want your IP address, so I'm going to tell the router to give it to me.  TAKE THAT!".  FWIW, the PS3 is hard wired to the router rather than going wireless.

I really didnt want to go through the process of assigning everyone a dedicated IP, but looks like I'm going to have to.  FUN!

Edit:  Thanks for the advice, all.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: