Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186256 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #700 on: April 30, 2009, 08:34:18 AM

The one significant advantage to dell machines is that their CPU cooling is second to none, short of some very serious fiddling with after market heat reduction options. Dells, in my experience, have all had these custom job heat cowls that cover the entire CPU fan/sink and shunt the heat right out of the box.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: April 30, 2009, 09:46:48 AM

Yeah.  If I wasn't using a monster direct touch pipe cooler I'd want the Dell heat cowl.  Also buy a full-size desktop and Dells are no problem to break into and tinker with.  The space saving models have that trade-off, but then most business users have no, ahem, business fiddling with the internals.

I have decided that self-building is LESS hassle than pre-mades. At least when you build it yourself you know you're not a dribbling idiot and you give a shit if it works or not.
It's still worth it with friends or parental units you don't want to do regular maintenance for.  Format and Forget.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #702 on: April 30, 2009, 10:33:31 AM

Yea, that's only if I'm going to use it myself.  If Uncle Jimmy has a problem with his Dell I told him to buy, I'll have him use the warranty.  If he needs an upgrade, I sent him to dell.com again.  For my own wife, though, I built it from parts and threw a beta OS on there because it will be my headache anyway.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #703 on: April 30, 2009, 02:43:39 PM

My friend used his laptop's wireless to get a connection to his 360, will that same method work giving one to my desktop?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: April 30, 2009, 04:24:57 PM

What are you trying to get onto your 360? Assuming both are on the same router and you've either got Media Center or Vista, it's simply a matter of configuring those to share onto the network and then on the X360 setting up that PC as a source for media content. Last I checked it supports music, movies and photos. I don't know about sharing games, but I suspect not.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:46 PM

It's still worth it with friends or parental units you don't want to do regular maintenance for.  Format and Forget.
On the software preload point. The amount of time to remove everything and clean it up isn't worth it, not even mentioning how to explain this to a family member. Generally if a friend/co-worker/family needs a PC I offer to "setup" their pc with an nlite/vlite build of their OS/patches/drivers + avg + split partitions (os/data aka user folders) and part image of the running system on the data drive.

This ends up being the same amount of time on building one for them or buying the dell as the disc has to be built, download the latest drivers and system installed/imaged.

So I'm with you, make it idiot proof and save as much time as possible  awesome, for real
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #706 on: May 01, 2009, 08:01:38 AM

What are you trying to get onto your 360? Assuming both are on the same router and you've either got Media Center or Vista, it's simply a matter of configuring those to share onto the network and then on the X360 setting up that PC as a source for media content. Last I checked it supports music, movies and photos. I don't know about sharing games, but I suspect not.

It's a weird question and most people assume what you're explaining. I mean, my friend used his laptop as a wireless card for his 360. Laptop would receive a wireless signal, and by plugging his laptop into his 360, the 360 would be able to connect to the internet. Would this same method, plugging my laptop into my desktop instead, net me the same results?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #707 on: May 01, 2009, 10:12:03 AM

Get a real router.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: May 01, 2009, 10:20:26 AM

The x-box 360 has an Ethernet port.  It works just like every other computer with an Ethernet port in the entire world.

So, uh, yes you can share your internet connection via the Ethernet port on the XBox 360 IF you have 2 Ethernet cards in your PC.  But what Trippy said is the correct answer.

By a 20 dollar router and plug the PC and XBox into it and the cable modem (or whatever) into it's WAN port.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #709 on: May 01, 2009, 10:26:14 AM

You only need one Ethernet port on the machine that has the Internet connection if it's using something like USB to connect to the "modem". E.g.:

Cable Modem <- USB -> Laptop <- Ethernet -> Xbox 360

or

Cable Modem <- USB -> Laptop <- Ethernet -> Desktop PC
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #710 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:49 AM

Getting back to NiX's original question, yes in theory you can use Internet Connection Sharing and your laptop that's connecting to a wireless router/bridge to give an Internet connection to an "isolated" desktop PC but that's like backwards since your laptop always has to be on for your desktop PC to have a connection. You are better off moving your wireless router closer to your desktop PC so you can connect it with an Ethernet cable. If for some reason that's not possible you can get a wireless access point with an Ethernet connection and plug in your computer that way or get a wireless card/board for your desktop PC.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #711 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22:11 PM

I have a router and it's just a temporary fix until we can figure out if it's possible to run the ethernet cable outside the house because the house is too old to run it inside. Otherwise I'll just buy a card for my desktop.

Thanks for the help.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #712 on: May 01, 2009, 12:36:57 PM

Or you could just run another router and connect them wirelessly? Then wire into the second router from the 360.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #713 on: May 01, 2009, 01:05:11 PM

Would another router pick up a better signal?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #714 on: May 01, 2009, 01:12:11 PM

My thoughts were it would be a more permanent solution. We use a WDS here so we didn't have to run some wires through an old and inimical building, figured it might be a good fit for the same reasons.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #715 on: May 01, 2009, 01:24:06 PM

Doesn't matter if it picks up a better signal. It's the cheaper solution. I'd think a wireless card would be cheaper, not more expensive.

Anyone have any experience with the WRT54G2? I currently have a WRT54G running the wireless signal, figure they would work well together.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: May 02, 2009, 08:20:51 AM

Anyone have any experience with the WRT54G2? I currently have a WRT54G running the wireless signal, figure they would work well together.

Using one right now. I loaded DD-WRT on it and its working great. It's got a faster processor in it but it runs vxworks.

A how-to on how to flash it. If you do flash it out of the box it set's up with a max active connections of 512, so set it higher(4096) under Administration -> Management -> IP Filter Settings -> Max Ports

WARNING: It is currently not possible to restore Linksys firmware after DD-WRT has been flashed.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #717 on: May 02, 2009, 10:26:35 AM

Speaking of which, I'm about to put Gargoyle on a new WRT54GL1.1, anyone have any experience they want to share?  Apparently I can do it all through web browser, no ssh/telnet 4tw since I haven't used telnet since fuck I dunno back when we were playing games on heat/mplayer/kali?

To add one last point on the pre-built thing, they NEVER partition the fucking drive, which kills me.  Every goddamn prebuilt I end up looking at looks like this:
-constant use by stupid enduser for 2+ years
-this ofc means they have all this precious shit they can't afford to lose!!!
-but the goddamn HD isn't partitioned which means I can't get rid of this bloated fucked up slow Windows install without killing all their shit
-there is NO windows cd, just some recovery disc, system restore, here have a facefull of stupid software you don't want bullshit

That experience has repeated itself enough times and with enough different people that I'm firmly in the fuck pre-built machines for life camp.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:30:13 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #718 on: May 02, 2009, 10:43:24 AM

So, I'll be installing W7RC. I have 4 partitions on 1 drive. If I format the Windows partition, it shouldn't touch the others, right?
Dion
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: May 02, 2009, 11:59:49 AM

Is it possible to play “some” PlayStation 2 games on a new 80-gig PlayStation 3? I got that impression after looking at Sony’s capability website (the right option "Model CECHE01").
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: May 02, 2009, 04:50:08 PM

So, I'll be installing W7RC. I have 4 partitions on 1 drive. If I format the Windows partition, it shouldn't touch the others, right?

"Shouldn't". It is beta, but I don't expect it would touch the other partitions without you asking it too - but it may mess with your boot sector.

- Viin
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: May 02, 2009, 08:20:41 PM

That experience has repeated itself enough times and with enough different people that I'm firmly in the fuck pre-built machines for life camp.
Once again, why I format when the machine arrives.  I can set it up how I want and without all the crap.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #722 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:09 AM

The W7 beta did not fuck with my second partition on install, so I'd love to expect the RC would also be as kind.  I still might unplug my other disks, though.

Is it possible to play “some” PlayStation 2 games on a new 80-gig PlayStation 3? I got that impression after looking at Sony’s capability website (the right option "Model CECHE01").

Sure, it is entirely possible and I keep hearing it's 80% of the PS2 library that works.  The only issue is that the 80GB must do software emulation, while ye olde 60/20GB contained actual PS2 chips.  As such, emulation could cause problems with certain titles.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: May 04, 2009, 06:49:16 AM

So, wait, even the PS-3's that don't claim to be backward compatible actually are, at least partially, backward compatible through emulation?

I just looked up Persona 3 on that link above and it said it runs fine on the 80 GB model.

They might want to clear that aspect up a bit in their literature.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #724 on: May 04, 2009, 06:52:56 AM

So, wait, even the PS-3's that don't claim to be backward compatible actually are, at least partially, backward compatible through emulation?
No. They aren't. There was a transition period where a few shipments over the course of a few months of 80GB had software emulation. It should say it on the box and in the manual for those releases. Post the 80GB, they do not have software emulation.

The software emulation is mostly crap anyway.

Edit: Also, you've got some errant hyphenation going on there.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #725 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:00 AM

Since I have a 60GB, I haven't paid much attention to it.  I think Sony changed their minds at some point and would like for you to buy a PS2 Slim.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #726 on: May 06, 2009, 03:09:54 PM

I'm using the WMP54G wireless card. Whenever I play online games (Steam, StarCraft so far) I get lots of choke in bursts. It's not severe and only happens so often, but it's a known problem. I tried to find a fix and only came up with gaming sites with FPS junkies whining. Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I suck it up and deal with it? My router is a WRT54G running at 54MBPS, signal strength is excellent and I'm the only person on the network.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: May 06, 2009, 08:14:35 PM

Get wired?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #728 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:58 AM

I need to adjust some partitions on a live Windows machine and I don't want to spend a lot (any) money.  halp?

schild
Administrator

Reply #729 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:06 AM

I need to adjust some partitions on a live Windows machine and I don't want to spend a lot (any) money.  halp?

Don't install Windows 7?

I mean, I know there isn't a single REAL reason you're doing it. Feeling left out isn't a reason, sah.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #730 on: May 07, 2009, 05:22:24 AM

The reason is I want to stop using W7 beta (since it has some issues) without going back to XP.  I don't want to go back to XP because its 64-bit implementation might as well not exist.

schild
Administrator

Reply #731 on: May 07, 2009, 05:24:43 AM

The reason is I want to stop using W7 beta (since it has some issues) without going back to XP.  I don't want to go back to XP because its 64-bit implementation might as well not exist.

Wow. That's a lot of OS tinkering on one drive. Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm, back up all the important stuff and do a full format is the best option. You could repartition but that's not particularly safe, is it?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #732 on: May 07, 2009, 05:39:11 AM

You could repartition but that's not particularly safe, is it?

No, not safe at all but you can't live your life in fear.  All of the important stuff is not on C:, so as long as I don't dick up the other partition on that disk, I'll be fine.

If there isn't a decent repartition option, I'll just format and do a clean install.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:23 AM

You could repartition but that's not particularly safe, is it?

No, not safe at all but you can't live your life in fear.  All of the important stuff is not on C:, so as long as I don't dick up the other partition on that disk, I'll be fine.

If there isn't a decent repartition option, I'll just format and do a clean install.

Do you have another large drive to temporarily hold stuff?  If you have a copy of ghost you could ghost each of your partitions, then wipe the original drive and partition it the way you wanted and ghost back to the newly resized partitions.  Or you could just find a copy of partition magic.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #734 on: May 07, 2009, 07:06:05 AM

I believe that the latest OpenSUSE will let you resize windows partitions during the installation phase, so that may be a work around. You'd have to install Linux, of course, but I think after that you could nuke the Linux partitions, the lilo/grub sector and finally, wipe the MBR and as long as your windows partition is the primary active, you can just use the installation disk to repair the boot sector to boot from Windows again. I am not sure there's a free product to do this otherwise. If you were willing to spend $70, I'd suggest Partition Magic from Symantec (daylight robbery, I know).

I also like Salamok's solution. More time intensive, but pretty guaranteed to work.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: