Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186236 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #315 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:13 PM

Depends on your needs. Quiet? Cool looking? Small? High end (hot) components going in? HTPC?

Some guidelines are nice.

Sorry.  Quiet and cooling, which I realize may be exclusionary.  Full tower, I guess.  I am hoping for moderately high-end components. This is for gaming, not HTPC.

Basically, I don't care what it looks like or how heavy it is, I just was hoping people were opting for 1 or 2 models.  I have no clue what's best at the moment.  Thanks.
If you need quiet and cool start with http://silentpcreview.com/
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:09 AM

Can anyone recommend a good free online storage site?  I have a colleague who is driving me crazy about his computer problems.  Basically it sounds like his OS is pooched and he has 5 years of family digital photos on the computer that he needs.  A usb key won't work, burning to CD won't work, home networking to his laptop won't work. I am avoiding having to take his hard drive and slave it on to one of my computers.  Apparently he can get online, so I thought he might be able to transfer to his laptop via a storage site.  Any help would be much appreciated!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #317 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:16 AM

Can he not buy himself a terrabyte drive and slave it inside his own machine?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: January 09, 2009, 08:15:28 AM

No he is completely computer illiterate, that would require me to go to his house and install and slave it.  Just trying to avoid that option, just looking for a quicker solution.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:27 AM

An external USB drive?  Plug it in and copy everything over?

Edit: An internet storage site is probably not going to work for transferring a large amount of data simply because your friends 'unlimited' broadband connection probably actually has a limit.

1 TB USB external WD ($119.99):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136321

If it's actually not that much data he could use gmail accounts for storage...

edit2: http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/01/how-to-use-your-gmail-account-as-a-personal-file-server/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:59:16 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #320 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:00 AM

Dropbox! You'll have to be careful though.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: January 09, 2009, 10:00:38 AM

Dropbox! You'll have to be careful though.

Careful of what? They don't steal my pictures do they?

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #322 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:03 AM

Well, he was said to be computer illiterate. I don't trust illiterates with even the most simple of computerized actions.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: January 09, 2009, 10:12:21 AM

Well, he was said to be computer illiterate. I don't trust illiterates with even the most simple of computerized actions.

That's true - if he's really illiterate than you are pretty much screwed and will have to do it yourself.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #324 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:02 AM

Seems to be a space limit on dropbox.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: January 09, 2009, 10:57:23 AM

Hmmm, thanks for the suggestions...

Problem with USB storage device is apparently his USB ports are not reading anything at all.  He tried a couple of USB storage keys and other USB devices to no success.

Drop Box, seems to be alright, but he also indicated that he tried to install AVG to run a test on his comp and it wouldn't let him install anything and drop box has a client install.  He has indicated about the only thing he could do was basically get online.  His OS (XP) seems to be completely borked.

It just looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet to slave it.  The help is much appreciated though.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: January 09, 2009, 11:10:23 AM

it's getting to the point where computers are cheap enough and people are ungrateful enough that when they get themselves into these situations i just tell em to go buy a new pc.  Slave the old hard drive into the new pc and copy all the needed files over.  If you fix it then it will just be your fault when he malwares his ass into a corner again.

I wonder if a bart pe disc would make a USB drive accessible or if he screwed up some hardware.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:03 AM

I wonder if a bart pe disc would make a USB drive accessible or if he screwed up some hardware.

Wow, I remember using that bert a long time ago....never thought of it again.  That may work, not to get the pc working, but just get those pic files off.  Great suggestion.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: January 09, 2009, 04:03:34 PM

Time to do a bit of early spring cleaning on my computer and do a format/reinstall.  I have an unopened XP Pro 64 case sitting on my desk, looking at me longingly with sad eyes.

Computer is Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS G92 512 in SLI.  Gaming rig.

XP Pro 64 vs Vista Home Premium. 

WWF13D.

(what would f13 do)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #329 on: January 09, 2009, 04:20:42 PM

Is your Vista Home Premium 64-bit or 32-bit?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: January 09, 2009, 04:56:35 PM

64 bit.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #331 on: January 09, 2009, 05:04:27 PM

Go with Vista.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: January 09, 2009, 06:16:59 PM

Huh.  That's surprising.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #333 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:44 PM

How so? Half the Vista-rage out there is from folks that can't handle any sort of a change. At first it was somewhat justified, since Vista had some issues, but they've been ironed out. Vista is a problem for older hardware, but on good hardware, it runs well. Especially 64 bit. Besides, XP driver support for 64 bit has had problems, many left mouldering unresolved. From what I hear, Vista 64 bit has good driver support.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:23 PM

To be honest, the only issue I've had thus far with Vista Prem is the error on install that occasionally pops up if you have more than 2GB of RAM.  Other than that, no issues. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: January 11, 2009, 04:46:42 PM

Depends on your needs. Quiet? Cool looking? Small? High end (hot) components going in? HTPC?

Some guidelines are nice.

Sorry.  Quiet and cooling, which I realize may be exclusionary.  Full tower, I guess.  I am hoping for moderately high-end components. This is for gaming, not HTPC.

Basically, I don't care what it looks like or how heavy it is, I just was hoping people were opting for 1 or 2 models.  I have no clue what's best at the moment.  Thanks.
If you need quiet and cool start with http://silentpcreview.com/

My new gear in my old case (mid 90's inwin crap) was overheating so I decided to take the plunge, I wanted something affordable, quiet, cool , tool free and didn't look like it belonged in a pimps car.  Ended up with this: Cooler Master Sileo 500.  It is insulated for sound, has front and rear fans, and other than the mother board and psu you can add/remove all the hardware sans tools.  I also upgraded my stock cpu heatsink/fan to a Zalman 9500.

Only been a few hours but I had both cores pegged to 100% for most of those 2 hours and my temp has hovered between 46-48 the entire time (seem to hover at 42 when the pc is at rest).  It is noticably quieter than my last case/cpu fan.
w00key
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: January 11, 2009, 04:47:16 PM

XP Pro:
+ Got remote desktop support. You have to pay for ultimate in Vista to get that (But I did. The other shiny features like VSC, Encrypted folders are pretty nice to have too)
+ Lower memory footprint (but hey, that's where the 64-bit support comes in. Get ram while it's cheap, 4-8G)

Vista:
+ Shinier. The graphical framework supports fancy stuff, but the built in [win]+[tab] is meh at best. Get switcher the osx expose clone from http://insentient.net/

+ Way better driver support. Everything I've bought in the last 2 years just work. No one releases xp64 drivers anymore.
+ New Kernel, better scheduler (cycle delta counter), better memory management (memory priority). SP1 backported the Windows Server 2008 kernel to Vista.
+ Better application support. Some installers like the MSN 9 just breaks on XP64.
+ Execution context for GPU. Think CPU & Memory scheduler for CPU/RAM, but for 3D stuff. Is a big deal when you run multiple clients (WoW :P) at the same time.
+ No more users running around as root. Sudo setup.exe's (via UAC) or Sudo su (open an administrative prompt) before you can mess up your pc.

Same:
- Stability. I never had a XP or Vista crash because of software errors, any instability is always traced back to hardware faults.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: January 11, 2009, 04:52:00 PM

XP Pro:
+ Got remote desktop support. You have to pay for ultimate in Vista to get that (But I did. The other shiny features like VSC, Encrypted folders are pretty nice to have too)

For awhile I was a bit confused by this feature, thinking I wouldn't be able to remote desktop to my work machine if I had XP or Vista Home editions at home, come to find out they are talking about the ability to recieve remote desktop connections.  Since I never remote desktop to my home machine (only from) this is pretty much a non issue.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #338 on: January 11, 2009, 06:05:41 PM

XP Pro:
Vista Business, the equivalent of XP Professional, has Remote Desktop Support too.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: January 12, 2009, 07:33:11 AM

Does anyone know if there is a flavor of VNC that supports Vista well?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #340 on: January 12, 2009, 03:26:30 PM

Do you just need a viewer or do you want to run a VNC server on Vista?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: January 13, 2009, 05:04:01 AM

Do you just need a viewer or do you want to run a VNC server on Vista?

Run the server on Vista.  I looked at RealVNC (Which I use at work) but there was grumbling in the search results about it's Vista support.

I'm not really asking anyone to do research for me.  I'll google around, I was just wondering if anyone had already gone through the effort and had some insights.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #342 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:08 AM

I've only used the RealVNC viewer to connect to a VNC server running under Linux.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #343 on: January 14, 2009, 06:00:07 AM

Wireless security: MAC address whitelist is totally awesome, right?  Even without WPA?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #344 on: January 14, 2009, 06:03:28 AM

MAC addresses can be faked, so it offers some protection but by itself it won't necessarily keep out a determined hacker.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #345 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:06 AM

How determined would a hacker have to be in order to nab one of my MACs?  Sure, they can be faked but it might take a while to guess the right one.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: January 14, 2009, 07:54:41 AM

How determined would a hacker have to be in order to nab one of my MACs?  Sure, they can be faked but it might take a while to guess the right one.

I'm not so sure about a wireless network.  I don't know enough about how they figure out who to talk to to say yes or no.  Routers build an ARP cache of MAC addresses of the computers that connect to them (MAC is the physical device, IP is the logical address, you need both to talk to someone) and I don't know that someone with a wireless device wandering around collecting handshakes can't grab MACs.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:39 AM

pretty sure kismet can grab MAC & IP addresses out of the air.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: January 14, 2009, 09:37:31 AM

hmmm shouldn't this read as 2997mhz (333.00 x 9.0) for the frequency?  I didn't adjust any clock settings when I set everything up shouldn't the chipset (mboard: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS 775 P45/ICH10) autodetect the proper setting for the CPU? 

Did I get a bogus proc or is the mainboard automatically setting itself to the correct freq expecting too much?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: January 14, 2009, 09:50:28 AM

It might be the BIOS, too.  Mine had to be flashed to read my Quad correctly.  I still need to do flash the newest one (stupid comp not allowing a USB flash boot ><) to get better compatability.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: