Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186164 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #175 on: October 25, 2008, 11:55:39 AM

It might be worth installing the drivers (as in, run the installer, even if the drivers do not 'attatch' to anything yet), then uninstall the SATA drivers and rebooting. Maybe they will automatically be reassigned to a new IRQ and take up the new drivers (now available in /system32). I've seen stranger things happen.

Another way maybe would be to delete the IDE controllers rather than simply uninstall the drivers. However, this may also require registry deletions so that the change is really forced, rather than simply a reassignment process. This gets into nutty territory, tho, and I probably not do it myself without an image to restore to in the event of complete OS vaporization.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: October 25, 2008, 02:16:28 PM

It might be worth installing the drivers (as in, run the installer, even if the drivers do not 'attatch' to anything yet), then uninstall the SATA drivers and rebooting. Maybe they will automatically be reassigned to a new IRQ and take up the new drivers (now available in /system32). I've seen stranger things happen.

Another way maybe would be to delete the IDE controllers rather than simply uninstall the drivers. However, this may also require registry deletions so that the change is really forced, rather than simply a reassignment process. This gets into nutty territory, tho, and I probably not do it myself without an image to restore to in the event of complete OS vaporization.

There was no install or setup. Just raw drivers.

Well, I found a thread

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831&page=4

One guy in this thread just changed his ATI Dual Channel drivers and bing! Mine wouldn't take the AHCI driver. :(

Another fellow claims to have followed the instructions but changed the registry edit file for an Asus with the ATI SB600 chipset (the same one on my motherboard) That seems like the ticket, but I'm wondering what I have to change between his registry edit and my system. (using the 32 instead of 64 is obvious, but what else is different?

I'm concerned I'm getting in over my head here.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #177 on: October 25, 2008, 04:11:51 PM

I finally bought the rest of the parts to upgrade the two computers I have, was wondering if you all think I could put together a cheap machine that runs CoX and WoW for a couple of people I know.  Cheap as in less than $500 if possible.  I have cases and dvd players, but the rest I'm researching.  Oh, it would be good stable stuff that will last, not something that requires a lot of fiddling with.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #178 on: October 25, 2008, 04:57:21 PM

Well, I found a thread

One guy in this thread just changed his ATI Dual Channel drivers and bing! Mine wouldn't take the AHCI driver. :(

Another fellow claims to have followed the instructions but changed the registry edit file for an Asus with the ATI SB600 chipset (the same one on my motherboard) That seems like the ticket, but I'm wondering what I have to change between his registry edit and my system. (using the 32 instead of 64 is obvious, but what else is different?

Okay I'm confused. Did you download the RAID/AHCI drivers from here?:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2A-VM

When I look inside the archive I see setup programs for the drivers.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #179 on: October 25, 2008, 05:43:37 PM

I finally bought the rest of the parts to upgrade the two computers I have, was wondering if you all think I could put together a cheap machine that runs CoX and WoW for a couple of people I know.  Cheap as in less than $500 if possible.  I have cases and dvd players, but the rest I'm researching.  Oh, it would be good stable stuff that will last, not something that requires a lot of fiddling with.
Well thanks to the Microsoft Tax, it's going to be a stretch at $500 a piece but it's doable.

From Newegg:

$_59.99  AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX - Retail
$_69.99  BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 720a ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$_64.99  EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$_36.99  CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
$_59.99  Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$_99.99  Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

$391.94  SUBTOTAL

That leaves you $100 for a monitor, if needed, and other misc. items like mouse and keyboard.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: October 26, 2008, 04:12:58 AM

Well, I found a thread

Okay I'm confused. Did you download the RAID/AHCI drivers from here?:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2A-VM

When I look inside the archive I see setup programs for the drivers.

These are the drivers that came with the mobo CD. I did download the AHCI/RAID stuff from Asus, and the setup programs say "Installation Failed" when I try to run them.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #181 on: October 26, 2008, 04:18:24 AM

Ah, okay ACK! swamp poop

Does the system Event Viewer utility show anything after it fails?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 26, 2008, 04:42:10 AM

Ah, okay ACK! swamp poop

Does the system Event Viewer utility show anything after it fails?

Nothing that I can tell.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #183 on: October 26, 2008, 08:49:22 AM

One has to assumed the installation failed because the devices (the hard drives) are already happily ensconced in their own PATA settings.

My next step would be to go into BIOS and reassign those two PATA IRQs in ISA mode to the higher end PCI IRQs. Change PRimary and Secondary IDE from 14 and 15 ISA IRQ to PCI 23 and 24. Worse comes to worst, you can go back into BIOS and change them back.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #184 on: October 26, 2008, 03:49:56 PM

One has to assumed the installation failed because the devices (the hard drives) are already happily ensconced in their own PATA settings.
No that doesn't make sense because you would never be able to install ACHI drivers under XP if that was the case.

My next step would be to go into BIOS and reassign those two PATA IRQs in ISA mode to the higher end PCI IRQs. Change PRimary and Secondary IDE from 14 and 15 ISA IRQ to PCI 23 and 24. Worse comes to worst, you can go back into BIOS and change them back.
No you don't want to do that either. 14 and 15 are the proper IRQs for the parallel IDE controller.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #185 on: October 26, 2008, 05:37:55 PM

But I thought the whole issue was that you didn't want them in Parallel IDE drives, but in SATA ones, which would mean higher, unused IRQs? Maybe I lost the thread of the arguement.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #186 on: October 26, 2008, 08:03:17 PM

But I thought the whole issue was that you didn't want them in Parallel IDE drives, but in SATA ones, which would mean higher, unused IRQs? Maybe I lost the thread of the arguement.
The "Primary" IDE controllers at 14 and 15 are, in fact, parallel IDE controllers (that's the standard IRQs for them). It's the hard drive controller at IRQ 22 that I believe is the issue. It's not showing up as an SATA controller when in fact that's what it is. The IRQ assignment itself is fine cause it's not being shared by anything.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #187 on: October 26, 2008, 09:13:09 PM

Gocha, I got confused when I saw 14 and 15 assigned to Primary and Secondary IDE, but also saw IRQ 22 assigned to that other IDE controller, which I though somehow was tied to the the other two, and hence that was the source of the problem. If I understand it correctly, 14 and 15 are just fine, since they are the ones actually tied to the CD rom drive that's failing.

So now, if I understand this correctly, the working theory is that by having 22 assigned as an IDE controller, its mucking up the actual IDE controllers at 14 and 15. By chancing 22 to an actual SATA controller, rather than IDE, it would stop gumming up the devices at 14 and 15.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #188 on: October 26, 2008, 09:37:10 PM

No. My current hypothesis is that the fact that the SATA drive is currently running in PATA-emulation mode (cause the SATA controller is running in that mode) is somehow mucking up the other drives in his computer. There's no IRQ issue that I can see.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #189 on: October 26, 2008, 09:45:08 PM

That's what I was saying, just using IRQs as lables to differentiate between the actual IDE drive, the CD rom, and the SATA drive, currently assigned to IRQ 22 and using a PATA emulation (And I do understand now that IRQ assignment has nothing to do with the problem)

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 27, 2008, 05:19:08 AM

That's what I was saying, just using IRQs as lables to differentiate between the actual IDE drive, the CD rom, and the SATA drive, currently assigned to IRQ 22 and using a PATA emulation (And I do understand now that IRQ assignment has nothing to do with the problem)

The drives on my machine:

1 SATA hard drive running in IDE emulation mode.
1 IDE DVD Rom running correctly in IDE mode.

In case you thought I might have any other drives. The external RW drive is a USB guy, and is usually not plugged in unless I'm burning CDs. And I don't even have a floppy drive installed ATM.

I would be perfectly fine keeping the SATA drive in IDE mode. It's the possible conflict that's the issue.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 27, 2008, 05:22:34 AM

No that doesn't make sense because you would never be able to install ACHI drivers under XP if that was the case.

It's possible to install the SATA drivers at OS install. Since I put the drive in IDE mode when installing, no SATA controllers or drivers are installed.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #192 on: October 27, 2008, 05:51:16 AM

It's possible to install the SATA drivers at OS install. Since I put the drive in IDE mode when installing, no SATA controllers or drivers are installed.

This is what Engels wrote:

You have a chicken and egg problem cause you have to turn on and off PATA emulation mode in the BIOS. But you can't boot off an AHCI controller (i.e. emulation mode turned off) and drive unless Windows has a driver for it. If you can't install AHCI drivers "after the fact" (i.e. other than slipstreaming them at OS install time) then none of the solutions you've been reading with installing drivers "manually" or using a setup program would work at all.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 27, 2008, 07:27:17 AM

Ah. I was under the impression that these guys had managed to load the drivers somehow during the registry tweak and enable AHCI mode after the fact.

So I'm probably looking at a fresh install or somehow resolving the conflict with the SATA in IDE mode then?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #194 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:40 AM

No you have it backwards. I'm *disagreeing* with Engels ("No that doesn't make sense"). If he's right then you couldn't install AHCI drivers after the fact. I think he's wrong and that you can.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #195 on: October 27, 2008, 09:41:44 AM

I think it has to be possible as well, but I am not expert enough to know how. One would have hoped that that installer would have done the trick, but I bet the installer expects you to have installed the OS using the f6 option of loading the drivers at installation time, and the installer only 'updates' or puts a few packaged software bundles around it.

I don't know if you've tried this, but listing the Devices by type, can you right-click 'update driver' and then go through a manual installation where you navigate to the folder containing the unpacked driver files, and select the correct .inf file? Do the 'Don't search, I will chose the driver to install' option, then select 'Have Disk', which lets you browse directories for the specific file.

I think I may have been misunderstood when I said earlier that the 'drivers are happily ensconced in their IDE emulation role'. Its not that one can't change this, but that Windows may not see that you're trying to change the very type of drive, and hence fails. Windows may have to be forced to accept the entirely different hardware profile by doing it manually. It may even send out large warnings about how this isn't the driver required.

I'd be hesitant to do it, however, without a backup of necessary data, since it may make your OS unbootable.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:46:56 AM by Engels »

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: October 27, 2008, 12:38:22 PM

I think it has to be possible as well, but I am not expert enough to know how. One would have hoped that that installer would have done the trick, but I bet the installer expects you to have installed the OS using the f6 option of loading the drivers at installation time, and the installer only 'updates' or puts a few packaged software bundles around it.

I don't know if you've tried this, but listing the Devices by type, can you right-click 'update driver' and then go through a manual installation where you navigate to the folder containing the unpacked driver files, and select the correct .inf file? Do the 'Don't search, I will chose the driver to install' option, then select 'Have Disk', which lets you browse directories for the specific file.

Yeah, tried that. It fails to load the drivers.

I think I may have been misunderstood when I said earlier that the 'drivers are happily ensconced in their IDE emulation role'. Its not that one can't change this, but that Windows may not see that you're trying to change the very type of drive, and hence fails. Windows may have to be forced to accept the entirely different hardware profile by doing it manually. It may even send out large warnings about how this isn't the driver required.

I'd be hesitant to do it, however, without a backup of necessary data, since it may make your OS unbootable.

Yep. Looks like I might have to live with it until I get fed up and then I'll just do a complete reinstall of the OS instead of doing it half-assed and possibly just creating more problems.

Well, thanks for the input guys. And if anyone has any bright ideas about resolving the IDE conflict itself, lemme know.

*Edit for update*

I installed the most recent southbridge chip drivers from ATI today, and it's held up to some decent stress testing. Swapping games out, rebooting, etc. So far so good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:51:02 PM by Ratman_tf »

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: October 29, 2008, 10:13:00 AM

Still no conflicts. If it makes it to tomorrow, I'm going to call it fixed.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #198 on: October 29, 2008, 10:14:21 AM

Just curious; when you updated the southbridge drivers, did it change how the PCI controllers are listed? Did it change them from parallel emulation to something else?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: October 29, 2008, 11:28:35 AM

Just curious; when you updated the southbridge drivers, did it change how the PCI controllers are listed? Did it change them from parallel emulation to something else?

I was going to say "No", but I took another look just now, and it did make one change. My floppy drive (IRQ 6) is no longer listed.
(Which is correct, as I have never had a floppy in this computer.)

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: October 30, 2008, 11:20:40 AM

Ok so here's a (possibly) quick question. The house I'm living in right now has a wireless network set up on a Thomson TG585 v7 with WEP security and I'm having problems connecting to it from my desktop. Specifically it's not assigning an IP address, I also can't access the router setup through it. I've got a Linksys WUSB54G adaptor and I've tried repairing the connection, messing with the settings (specifically trying to set a static IP address on the computer which didn't help).

Basically it seems my computer can see the router but the router can't see it, presently connected fine with my laptop. What's weird is that I had this problem before with it using the Linksys Monitor to connect and when I switche over to XP's default program it worked fine. Had been for a couple of weeks then yesterday it went poof again. I've not changed any settings it just suddenly decided my computer was invisible again. Any ideas? I've got something of a physical limitation in the if I want to connect it to the router physically I need to take my desktop down two floors or get a very long cable. I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #201 on: October 30, 2008, 01:17:30 PM

You probably already covered this, but are you able to connect to any other wireless network with that computer? I ask because sometimes there's a battle between the wireless card software provided by the manufacturer and the Windows software, and switching between them can sometimes 'unclog' the problem.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: October 30, 2008, 01:39:32 PM

I'v tried switchin back and forth, doesn't seem to make any difference. I've also tried connecting in Ubuntu on the same machine that didn't work either but wireless networking in Ubuntu is dodgy anyway (as I've heard) so I'm not sure what that shows. But yeah, same problem using Windows or the Linksys program.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #203 on: October 30, 2008, 05:35:38 PM

I've had some sketchy experiences with wireless on both my router and my dsl modem. I've found that redoing the WEP (to exactly what you had before, if you like) can unclog it too. My particular trouble has to do with my iPhone at home rather than a computer, but in most cases, its the router that's munging things up, not the computer.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: October 30, 2008, 05:38:18 PM

Bleh, that will involve talking to whoever set it up. I don't know the other people I'm living with that well, guess it's an excuse for another awkward 5 minute chat where I get to know some of them a little more.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #205 on: October 30, 2008, 05:42:18 PM

Bleh, that will involve talking to whoever set it up. I don't know the other people I'm living with that well, guess it's an excuse for another awkward 5 minute chat where I get to know some of them a little more.

you don't have the admin password to the router? cuz the IP should be pretty easy to get, since chances are its just your default gateway. That is, unless, you have another router in between. But even then, looking at your router you should be able to see the forward looking IP the router gets from the uhm, neighbor's router.

One other thing you could check before bugging the neighbors is seeing what protocol the laptop is using, a/b/g/n etc. See if you can force your desktop to use the specific protocol the laptop is using.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: October 30, 2008, 06:19:19 PM

On checking, I've got admin access to the router, little hesitant to play around with it right now since there seem to be a couple of other people on it but I guess I'll try and see if I can mess about tomorrow. Looking at the setting though there doesn't seem to be anything that would block my desktop from connecting. The router's set to b/g and I've got a g adapter. I also tried setting the desktop IP, DNS, etc. to the settings the laptop was using, it made Windows happy that everything was fine but the router wasn't buying it.

Looking at the router's setup page, my PC claims to be connected to the wireless network but the router clearly doesn't see it at all, it's not listed under connected devices.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:20 PM

is the router running mac filtering,
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: October 31, 2008, 06:50:30 AM

Nope, my laptop can connect without issue and my desktop did connect for about two weeks. I've tried accessing and pinging the router for shits and giggles with the desktop (in limited connectivity mode) and cannot access it, disabled firewalls, etc. Tried reinstalling the software for my adapter but that didn't help. The fact that it did work for a couple of weeks and then stopped without me doing anything makes me feel it's unlikely to be on my end (also Engel's opinion for this sort of problem generally).

So seeing as the settings before seemed to work and my desktop seems to be the only PC having issues connecting to it now an suggestions as to what settings I should flick around with that may help? I've also got a niggling worry that it may be some sort of clogging with mutiple programs trying to run the adapter since the Linksys adapter needs the linksys program to work at all and I could only connect before when I switched to Windows. It says the Linksys monitor is turned off, I just don't know if I trust it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #209 on: October 31, 2008, 06:55:37 AM

If you think it might be running, you can check for sure with Process Explorer.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: