Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186179 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 08:50:23 AM

Best/cheapest/easiest are all mutually exclusive so you need to pick one.

I knew that, was just being deliberately thick.  Based on what you're saying, and upon some of the reviews I've read, I may just re-consider renting another box from comcast and hooking it up directly to my projector.  I'd frankly be pretty pissed if I had to spend 150 bucks to find out it didn't work for shit.  And to be fair, the HD box from comcast is decent enough....it's more the long term cost that gives me pause.

I don't know if this changes anything, but I don't do premium channels, so I assume all the stuff I am getting is unencrypted.

Edit:  come to think of it, that is probably a poor assumption, since it isn't simple basic cable that I have.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 08:56:24 AM

I don't know if this changes anything, but I don't do premium channels, so I assume all the stuff I am getting is unencrypted.
Nope. The only digital channels the law requires the cable company to send unencrypted are the local stations (local affliates of FOX, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.). Where I am I get those (in both SD and HD) and a ton of other crap SD digital channels like the shopping channels in QAM. I don't get any of the "Starter Package" HD channels in QAM, at least as far as I've been able to determine so far.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 09:00:39 AM

I'm looking at buying a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with HTPC.  Ideally I'd like both to have cradles for recharging and a keyboard without the numeric key pad.  Small and dainty would be nice but I ain't paying double to get it.  Budget (since Trippy always wants to know) would be ~$US100 but 20 bucks over wouldn't kill me.
Just don't get the Logitech bluetooth dealios. I have one, and truly regret it.

I have had some dicey luck with wireless kb/mouse combos (all logitech).  In my experience if you want to go more than 4 or so feet without problems you have to go blue tooth.  For my conference room at work I bought a logitech cordless desktop (mx1000 laser mouse+keyboard)  this wasn't bluetooth and the lack of range made it suck.  So I brought it home and while the keyboard still sucked (lag) the mouse rocked.  For work I then purchased the logitech bluetooth bundle, the mouse isn't as good as the mx1000 and there is still some keyboard lage but the range is pretty impressive, unfortunately it still has the smallest bit of lag.

Now the dell bluetooth kb/mouse bundle (pretty much include it for everyone who asks me to order them a laptop) are pretty snappy (no lag) but the mouse feels a little light and they take batteries instead of having a built in charger.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 09:03:47 AM

Nope. The only digital channels the law requires the cable company to send unencrypted are the local stations (local affliates of FOX, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.). Where I am I get those (in both SD and HD) and a ton of other crap SD digital channels like the shopping channels in QAM. I don't get any of the "Starter Package" HD channels in QAM, at least as far as I've been able to determine so far.

Thanks Trippy, that clears it up for me quite well.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 11:34:54 AM

I'm looking at buying a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with HTPC.  Ideally I'd like both to have cradles for recharging and a keyboard without the numeric key pad.  Small and dainty would be nice but I ain't paying double to get it.  Budget (since Trippy always wants to know) would be ~$US100 but 20 bucks over wouldn't kill me.
Just don't get the Logitech bluetooth dealios. I have one, and truly regret it.

I have had some dicey luck with wireless kb/mouse combos (all logitech).  In my experience if you want to go more than 4 or so feet without problems you have to go blue tooth.  For my conference room at work I bought a logitech cordless desktop (mx1000 laser mouse+keyboard)  this wasn't bluetooth and the lack of range made it suck.  So I brought it home and while the keyboard still sucked (lag) the mouse rocked.  For work I then purchased the logitech bluetooth bundle, the mouse isn't as good as the mx1000 and there is still some keyboard lage but the range is pretty impressive, unfortunately it still has the smallest bit of lag.

Now the dell bluetooth kb/mouse bundle (pretty much include it for everyone who asks me to order them a laptop) are pretty snappy (no lag) but the mouse feels a little light and they take batteries instead of having a built in charger.
Guess I'd better elaborate. I also have the mx1000. My problems are
  • Periodically, the keyboard disconnects, reconnects 5 seconds or so later. That behaviour is totally incompatible with gaming.
  • Occasional monster keyboard lag
  • Occasionally, on boot up, mouse and keyboard aren't recognized at all, need to reboot
  • Finicky connector between mouse and charger
  • Ferocious battery use on keyboard.
I won't be buying another of these.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 11:41:56 AM

Those sound like problems with Bluetooth to me.  I had that with my PS3 controllers for a while, but seems to have cleared up now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:03 AM

Well um, yeah. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But I'm using Logitech's bluetooth tranceiver and Logitech's bluetooth stack, so there's really only one source to blame.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 12:03:02 PM

Pretty much same experience i had with it, i gave the wireless keybard to my 2 year old and went out and bought a g15 (should have bought a g11).  The mouse though is hands down the best mouse i have owned and has held up well to 3 years of abuse (1 of it's lil glide pad/feet wore off though). 

Too bad they replaced the mx1000 mouse with that newfangled piece of crap that is 2x the size and seems to weigh half as much.  Maybe it's just me but my brain and hand don't seem to be evolving fast enough to keep up with the logitech pace for adding new scrollies and buttons.  I seem to recall a similar feeling when they replaced my easy to click middle button with a hard to click wheelie a decade ago so I guess I'll eventually evolve enough to make a thumb wheel indispensable
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 03:20:43 PM

My school uses XPRINT for printing. I had an issue with it last year because of a non Dell install of XP being on my laptop which was fixed with a format and Dell install. I re-formatted again and used the same Dell CD and now XPRINT refuses to work again. Any ideas?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 03:22:04 PM

My school uses XPRINT for printing. I had an issue with it last year because of a non Dell install of XP being on my laptop which was fixed with a format and Dell install. I re-formatted again and used the same Dell CD and now XPRINT refuses to work again. Any ideas?
Be more specific.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 05:16:43 PM

XPRINT refuses to work again

This section needs elaboration.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 06:00:39 PM

My sub woofer has burned out or something. I am running XP (32) Creative sound card. I am a deaf man but I miss my lump ba dump ( deaf people like bass) . Please to be recommending some speakers with big sub woofers. Current system was surround sound and i think that a satellite with subwoffer is preferred.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 07:14:39 PM

I get the error "\\xprint - The network path was not found" when I type \\xprint in RUN.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 10:21:47 PM

I get the error "\\xprint - The network path was not found" when I type \\xprint in RUN.
I know nothing about xpring but how is Windows supposed to know what network resource \\xprint maps to? Is there some sort of directory service that maps that name to the actual device/resource? Or do you have to add an entry to your hosts or other network config file?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 05:30:40 AM

No idea, to be honest, but I'd assume it has to do with us being connected to the school network when it finds XPRINT. There's 0 documentation through the school, and google knows nothing of XPRINT.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 05:41:54 AM

My sub woofer has burned out or something. I am running XP (32) Creative sound card. I am a deaf man but I miss my lump ba dump ( deaf people like bass) . Please to be recommending some speakers with big sub woofers. Current system was surround sound and i think that a satellite with subwoffer is preferred.

Not sure how big you need to go, but I have this Klipsch 2.1 setup that seems to be pretty good bang for the buck (can be had for under 150).  In a relatively small room, I get a pretty impressive bass response.  It is only a stereo set, mind you. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 06:19:18 AM

No idea, to be honest, but I'd assume it has to do with us being connected to the school network when it finds XPRINT.

Are you saying that this works when you are on the school network but does not work when you are not?  I'd have you check the name to see how you are reaching it when it is working... possibly you are not resolving the name anymore and if you can determine the IP it might help.  After that, though, you need to see if you can actually hit the IP.  I'm not really a network guy, or a Windows guy, so I'm going to be of limited help.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:47 AM

I need a solid workstation for my wife.  My old gaming rig just crapped out. 

I'm thinking that putting one together isn't going to be that much cheaper than just buying a Dell, plus they get to deal with the headaches when she breaks it just by looking at it. 

Anyone know who is putting out solid, simple (cheap) workstations? 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 07:38:31 AM

I'd get a Dell for that, assuming she isn't doing the pee-pee dance for The Sims 3.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59:57 AM

I need a solid workstation for my wife.  My old gaming rig just crapped out. 

I'm thinking that putting one together isn't going to be that much cheaper than just buying a Dell, plus they get to deal with the headaches when she breaks it just by looking at it. 

Anyone know who is putting out solid, simple (cheap) workstations? 
HP/Compaq.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:32 AM

Trippy, what's the story there? My experience with HP/Compaq in the past has been dubious. Have they cleaned up their act?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 08:44:33 AM

It's more that Dell has totally destroyed their once stellar support reputation by outsourcing it to India. I.e. they've fallen to the level of other companies like HP.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 08:55:22 AM

I've bought a number of HP desktops for the guys here at work over the last years, and have had no problems with them. I cannot comment on the quality of their service, since we haven't needed to use it.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:04 AM

Thanks, all.  I'll price check all three.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:34 PM

XPRINT error fixed! They have us register our laptops (my program is a 'mobile' program where we all have to have laptops) and because I originally bought my laptop before we actually had to they decided to undo my registration. Yay! awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 12:29:58 PM

What the hell is XPRINT?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 01:46:53 PM

Dual core Or core 2 duo?

Price seems to vary a good deal...but whats the difference?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:50 PM

Dual core Or core 2 duo?

Give some examples.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 05:43:16 PM

What the hell is XPRINT?
You don't know what XPRINT is?! ... Neither do I. Wiki has a cryptic entry though!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 06:51:43 PM

What the hell is XPRINT?
You don't know what XPRINT is?! ... Neither do I. Wiki has a cryptic entry though!

I have a strong suspicion that you are using some other XPRINT, partly because that link is for Xprint, not XPRINT, and also I really don't think you are using X11.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:14 PM

I have a strong suspicion that you are using some other XPRINT, partly because that link is for Xprint, not XPRINT, and also I really don't think you are using X11.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 10:01:39 PM

It's more that Dell has totally destroyed their once stellar support reputation by outsourcing it to India. I.e. they've fallen to the level of other companies like HP.

It may depend on the level of support you're talking about. I have to replace failed Dell parts on a nearly weekly basis here at work, and their Dell Chat system works like a charm. It doesn't matter if the dude is Indian on the other end of the line, as long as I can explain why the component is truely dead and the machine is still under warranty, I get a replacement within 14-20 hours of the conversation.

Now, I've never had to make any tech support call where I had to actually troubleshoot an item, or had to have a replacement sent for a 'home' purchase I've made, so I can't speak to that, but at a business/government level, they are bar none the best I've ever worked with.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 08:18:51 AM

Dual core Or core 2 duo?

Give some examples.

Ok, what i am doing is ditching the idea of upgrading the old DELL (RAMBUS!!!1!).

Now, i need a processor for my girls machine, but i am confused as to what Core 2 duo, and Dual core's differences are. I will link some from new egg.

Dual core Search refinement.

Core 2 duo search refinement.

Now, i realize Mhz are Mhz and some are just faster. BUT! some of the dual core CPU's are not that far behind in Mhz, but the price difference is large.

Now, what i need is a decent CPU for my girls machine, something that will allow her to play games like LOTRO and WAR...and what ever else, she doesn't ever have a want to play anything as intensive as oblivion ETC..

So, is dual core a good CPU for the price? or should i spend a little more for the Core 2 duo.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 08:23:38 AM

The Core 2 Duo's are still two cores, not 4.

The only difference I see is that they aren't making many Dual Core's anymore, and the Core 2 Duo's have 2mb cache instead of the 1mb cache that Dual Core's have.

edit: some of the Core 2 Duo's are 45nm instead of 65nm, but those are the really pricey ones (200+). The ones down at the bottom of $100 (say, $120) are about the same as the Dual Core's but with twice the cache.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:25:47 AM by Viin »

- Viin
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 08:32:13 AM

Yeah, i know they are still two cores, hence my confusion, And what does the cache mean to me? (other than more is better)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: