Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186255 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 20, 2008, 05:57:49 AM

Here. A thread for quick questions. Idea stolen from another board.

Great for things like: What graphics card should I buy right this moment? or Why r my power supply turning sparkly colors?

Anyway, my question:

Photoshop seems to not let me type in lower case anymore, anyone else ever run into this problem?

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:27:36 AM

That's an odd one.  Some font sets don't have lower case, AoC installed the Hyborian font on my computer and it is all upper.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:30:28 AM

Times New Roman, Arial, etc - only upper case.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:58:08 AM

You'd think that with all your decades of PC experience that you'd be able to troubleshoot a simple CAPS LOCK problem  swamp poop

I could soooo work in tech support.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:00:48 AM

OH MAN CAPS LOCK WAS ON.

No.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:35:22 AM

I guess there are options in the paragraph and character palette pop ups that force all caps, one of the little icons.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:18:57 AM

not super familiar with photoshop but in CS3 if you go to the text properties section there is a setting for all caps, sounds like you have that on. pic inc.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:25:16 AM by Salamok »
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:58 AM

also shouldn't this be a board instead of a thread... Call it EBKC Troubleshooting or something

edit: and my question:

Is there a desktop FTP widget (or even a folder on my desktop) that will automagically upload files I drag and drop into it to a prespecified folder on my ftp server? 

Even better is there something like the above that provides immediate feedback in the form of a url for the most recently dropped file (for example just copying and pasting to a forum)?

It's annoying to fire up filezilla, connecting to my site, navigating to the img folder and dropping an image in. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:35:02 AM by Salamok »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:30:26 AM

There's tons of drag-drop FTP programs. There was one I used for awhile a few years ago, but I don't remember the name anymore. Google.

- Viin
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:43:19 AM

There's tons of drag-drop FTP programs. There was one I used for awhile a few years ago, but I don't remember the name anymore. Google.

sweet, before I hand over my FTP login information to randominternetprogram01 anyone have a recommendation that they have used? 
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:58:27 PM

I use Fire FTP now.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:05:12 PM

sweet, before I hand over my FTP login information to randominternetprogram01 anyone have a recommendation that they have used? 

Chicken. I hope anything sensitive on an FTP server is behind your firewall anyways.  awesome, for real

- Viin
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 03:12:58 PM

Chicken. I hope anything sensitive on an FTP server is behind your firewall anyways.  awesome, for real

You mean my $15 a month web server that I have no real control over? 

Not quite sure how much good the firewall would be against someone having your username and password and using that info to illegitimately create legitimate traffic...  I suppose IP restriction on FTP requests but that isn't a very good solution for roaming and/or masked IP's.

There isn't anything critical on that server but it might be slightly embarrassing if it was hacked and loaded with malicious content.

Fire FTP looks okay but i'm not really looking to replace Filezilla, ftpdropper looks about like what I wanted.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:42 PM

Yah there's not much you can do about that. You get what you pay for.

FTP is notorious for being easily hacked/cracked, even without the help of suspect FTP programs. Most organizations (such as the one I work for) do not allow FTP outside of the internal network, blocking all external traffic on the common FTP ports. Heck, I think everything is blocked except for the VPN connection.

Here's my question:

What's a good app to use to configure dual monitors in Windows Vista? Such as having your taskbar in both windows?

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 03:42:32 PM

Ultramon.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 03:43:34 PM

Ah ha! I knew one of you knew the one I knew I was looking for.....         Knew.

- Viin
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 04:04:05 PM

While on the subject of dual monitors, can anyone confirm that vista sp1 remote desktop supports viewing both of them?
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:23 PM

So what graphics card should I buy right this moment? I'll be replacing an NVIDIA 8600. Want to spend $300-$400.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:45 PM

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 12:07:17 PM

Yeah, but there are so many. ACK!
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 12:08:55 PM

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 03:52:16 PM

Sweet, thanks Schild.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 09:38:49 AM

Kinda a tech question, but does anyone here have inside info on when Newegg plans to open in Canada? Their "teaser" site went up a month ago.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 10:56:22 AM

No, but I've been using 1click2computers.com, and have had only good experiences so far. Not as polished as newegg, but fast service and good prices. Based out of Mississauga.

There's also directdail.com in Canada. I've heard good things about them, but I haven't used them myself.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 11:33:53 AM

Thanks! I'm right next to Mississauga, so that works out better.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 02:17:24 PM

pc800 Ram, i hope for at least a gig (2 x 512)

Cheap? Suggestions on where to buy? Snarky comments?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 02:29:54 PM

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 04:06:00 PM

Ditch the rambus based board and buy something not so OLD?
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 08:04:44 PM

If you live in Australia I've got some 256 sticks you can have.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 08:06:49 PM

I'm looking at buying a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with HTPC.  Ideally I'd like both to have cradles for recharging and a keyboard without the numeric key pad.  Small and dainty would be nice but I ain't paying double to get it.  Budget (since Trippy always wants to know) would be ~$US100 but 20 bucks over wouldn't kill me.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:46 PM

the wireless keyboard and mouse I have by Logitech doesn't hog batteries very badly. Have to replace them every two months or so. Its not worth cutting down your options just to have them be rechargeable.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 07:49:21 AM

I'm almost embarassed to ask something that probably seems so obvious to most of you, but...

I have Comcast cable and an HD DVR in my family room.  In my office I have, obviously, my PC and other equipment (consoles, projector, etc.).  I am looking for this particular piece of advice:  What is the best/cheapest/easiest way for me to get full blown HD cable via my PC?  I know I could rent a new tuner from Comcast, but I'm thinking that it probably isn't cost effective.  Will any old HD DVR or HD Tuner card hooked up to cable ultimately net the same effect (and same channels)?  Note that I do not want to sign up for any new subscriptions to make this happen.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 07:51:55 AM

Ditch the rambus based board and buy something not so OLD?

Already did, but i can get at lest another year or two of gaming out of the Rambus one, if i can find more sticks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 08:14:41 AM

I'm looking at buying a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with HTPC.  Ideally I'd like both to have cradles for recharging and a keyboard without the numeric key pad.  Small and dainty would be nice but I ain't paying double to get it.  Budget (since Trippy always wants to know) would be ~$US100 but 20 bucks over wouldn't kill me.
Just don't get the Logitech bluetooth dealios. I have one, and truly regret it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 08:38:29 AM

I'm almost embarassed to ask something that probably seems so obvious to most of you, but...

I have Comcast cable and an HD DVR in my family room.  In my office I have, obviously, my PC and other equipment (consoles, projector, etc.).  I am looking for this particular piece of advice:  What is the best/cheapest/easiest way for me to get full blown HD cable via my PC?  I know I could rent a new tuner from Comcast, but I'm thinking that it probably isn't cost effective.  Will any old HD DVR or HD Tuner card hooked up to cable ultimately net the same effect (and same channels)?  Note that I do not want to sign up for any new subscriptions to make this happen.
Best/cheapest/easiest are all mutually exclusive so you need to pick one. And actually as far as I've been able to figure out so far there is no "easiest" either.

The simplistic answer is that there are number of solutions out there that will allow you to capture QAM cable (i.e. unencrypted digital cable) including HD QAM channels, assuming they are available in your area. In theory with a QAM capture device and the appropriate software you can capture said channels. However as I've been discovering in practice it's anything but straightforward.

If you want to capture encrypted HD programming (like, say, HBO) that's a whole other area that I haven't even bothered to look into yet but would presumably require being able to capture component output assuming your cable box can even output that.

If you have a couple hundred bucks to spend you could try messing around with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1192-HVR-1950-External-Recorder/dp/B00198MYB0

There are cheaper QAM HDTV capture devices out there but it's less likely one of the popular 3rd party PVR software programs will support the hardware, unlike the Hauppauge stuff which is really well supported.

Expect a lot of pain and suffering, though, if you attempt to do this. I'm still suffering through getting my Comcast Digital Cable setup to work acceptably and I may never actually get to that point. Which is unfortunate since my previous ATSC (over the air) HDTV setup worked really well for the channels I was able to receive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: