Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2018, 12:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 496610 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4095 on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:54 PM

I believe if you read the fine print, individually licensed copies of Windows are not transferable between computers. At least that was the case with previous versions. Not sure what the fuck is up with Windows 10.

I usually referred it it as an "upgrade," not a new computer. As in I  have just replaced the power supply, case, motherboard, hard drive, ram, cpu and optical drive. Other than that, it's the same computer...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4096 on: August 13, 2018, 12:08:31 AM

Does anyone have any (preferably free or cheap) networking software recommendations for home use?

I'm getting kinda tired of having to redo all my networking shares every dang major Windows update. Maybe the problem is I am stubbornly not using the Homegroup option, but just sharing specific folders between various machines. And pretty much every big update the network forgets itself.

And yes thanks but even though "Don't use Windows" is appreciated, but it's the devil I know.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4097 on: August 13, 2018, 12:21:16 AM

If you have a good Internet connection, use a cloud solution (Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc.)?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4098 on: August 13, 2018, 12:54:08 AM

I'm just curious about the people still buying a 360 or PS3.
Far as I know, a PS3 is still a pretty nice investment because it has software emulator support for like 98% of the PS1 library, so you are basically getting 2 consoles for the price of one.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4099 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:11 AM

I'm just curious about the people still buying a 360 or PS3.
Far as I know, a PS3 is still a pretty nice investment because it has software emulator support for like 98% of the PS1 library, so you are basically getting 2 consoles for the price of one.

Woo... 8 month answers. I wanna too.

I still have a PS3 because I spend all my time using a console-style gaming PC so I haven't upgraded to the current generation of actual consoles. I find the PS3 controls and apps very laggy compared with today's other devices, but it is still usable and playable. They have upgraded the PlayStation Store software to the point where it's supposed to be seamless with the PS4 version, but that just makes it very laggy. On the other hand, it's still a VERY worthy Blu-Ray player and I used it just the other night to watch one. It's hooked up to a new 4K OLED TV that has built-in Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I don't have much call for Blu-Rays, but the PS3 is faster than the actual Blu-Ray player attached to the TV in the other room.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4100 on: August 13, 2018, 02:17:11 AM

Hah, oops.  Just realized how old that post I replied to was.  That's what I get for just browsing back to the previous page while half asleep.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4101 on: August 13, 2018, 12:35:15 PM

If you have a good Internet connection, use a cloud solution (Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc.)?

Satellite, and capped. Cloud based is okay for small files, but multi gig video and stuff takes a lot of time and burns out my cap pretty fast.

It's actually not such a big deal to reset the shares every time I guess. Every third party solution I've looked into looked like it would take a similar level of fiddling with from time to time too -- so six of one, half dozen of the other...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4102 on: August 13, 2018, 12:46:09 PM

Get a NAS then?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4103 on: August 13, 2018, 04:03:57 PM

What Trippy is trying to say is that you need to use anything other than shared folders on your Win workstation. Some dedicated "thing" that you aren't using for work/play. I'm probably going to finally buy a NAS soon, despite being all cloudy and shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4104 on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:15 PM

Weeellll, you see...

Right now I do have a Network Attached Storage "solution." It's an old Acer laptop with some external storage disks hooked up with USB cables.

It honestly works pretty well. I stream movies from it with no hitch using Kodi, and also use it as a central server for music and such. It's just that it uses whatever witchcraft Windows works by to transfer files from other devices on the local network, and sometimes it forgets where everything is and I have to reset shares.

Thus why I was asking if there was a better third party way to tie it all together. Or I could just keep taking the five minutes it takes every few months to tell it where all the transfer folders are on the other machines.

I appreciate the answers.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: