Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:16:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1207797 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3185 on: May 21, 2014, 03:52:55 PM

So wait, it works when cached exchange mode is on but not when it is off?  ACK!

... I refer you to the very fucked.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3186 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:44 AM

No, I think I wrote that backwards.  The issue happens in cached mode, and doesn't occur in online mode.  Sorry!

We rebooted the server overnight and it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.  I'm going to chalk it up to some arcane setting being broken and talk to the senior exchange guy here.  This is above my paygrade.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3187 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:03 PM

Did you delete their OST and PST files in their profile?

Outlook rebuilds them on startup and I have seen some wacky shit because of corrupted OST/PST files.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3188 on: May 23, 2014, 11:49:16 AM

I didn't delete the OST, but I did repair the PST file about 8 times in a row.  Still don't think it's localized to Outlook, I think I'm going to need to build the client a fresh exchange profile.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3189 on: May 23, 2014, 04:38:18 PM

Seriously, don't even bother repairing PST/OST files. Nuke the mother fuckers from orbit and have them relaunch outlook. 95% of the shit that used to be only stored in those files is kept on the server now anyway.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3190 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:12 PM

Having a very strange Win7 problem.  For whatever reason, a new SATA cable I applied either borked something on my motherboard or it caused a Windows update to churn.  Regardless, I removed it, and I've removed every other drive and USB connection, but I'm unable to get a system repair disk or the Win 7 install disk to appear.  Black screen every time.

1. put in system repair DVD (made on a 32bit version of Win7; mine is 64bit)
2. find the DVD and 1 SSD that supposed to be c:\ after POST test -- set DVD to boot
3. boot from DVD -- spins alot, DOS progress bar working
4. DVD stops spinning, black screen, nothing appears (No mouse cursor, no keyboard input)

I assume this is a MBR problem, but I can't get the repair disk to get to it.  Any ideas?  I've checked cables etc.  Also, I tried booting from my Win7 64bit install disk but it similarly goes to the Windows progress animation, and then freezes. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3191 on: June 29, 2014, 05:57:42 AM

Make sure your bios/uefi boot mode did not get changed. This sounds suspiciously like what happened when dell replaced a motherboard which we had not set to bios boot like we should have. Would not find a valid windows partition.

Also Check your sata operation mode if it is ahci or legacy.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3192 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:26 AM

Doesn't Windows 7 nuke itself if you change the uefi setting in the bios?  Be careful with that.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #3193 on: June 29, 2014, 04:23:26 PM

Im out of my depth.  This is an ASROCK board with UEFI and the SATA cables were set to IDE.  There's only 2 now connected -- the DVD drive and the one SSD with Win 7 as c:\.  Setting them both to "AHCI" didn't solve the behavior below -- DVD just spins out and things hang and go black after the loading animations. 

So, let's assume the UEFI did get changed -- any advice what to do?  Thanks BTW!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3194 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:21 PM

Do you have another computer you can use? If so take the hard drive out of the one that's giving you trouble and back it up on the other computer. As for the motherboard BIOS/UEFI you could try doing a factory reset but again back up your hard drive first.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3195 on: July 01, 2014, 02:09:45 PM

I need a good recommendation for a camera and mic for making Youtube videos. Ideally a webcam so I can also use it for twitch streaming, but that's not a hard requirement. No idea where to even begin, short of just using my phone for video which seems dumb.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3196 on: July 01, 2014, 03:22:45 PM

Budget, for starters.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3197 on: July 01, 2014, 05:34:42 PM

I've no idea what these sorts of things go for. $100-$200ish total seems reasonable; I don't want some $20 webcam that's going to give me shit quality but I'm not making super-serious, try-to-earn-money-from-YT videos either.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3198 on: July 02, 2014, 07:31:17 AM

I have more than one URL which leads to a Java app, and these Java apps are of course very particular about the version I am using.  One, in fact, only works with Java 7u51.  My question is: does a thing exist which lets me define a particular Java for a particular URL or app, so that I don't have to go into the java console and disable all the versions except the one I want to use at that moment?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3199 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:20 AM

I've no idea what these sorts of things go for. $100-$200ish total seems reasonable; I don't want some $20 webcam that's going to give me shit quality but I'm not making super-serious, try-to-earn-money-from-YT videos either.

How portable do you need it to be? Is this just for your desk, or do you want to record video to later post to youtube? There's a cheaper GoPro camera for about 200, but that may be overkill.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3200 on: July 02, 2014, 09:34:27 AM

I have more than one URL which leads to a Java app, and these Java apps are of course very particular about the version I am using.  One, in fact, only works with Java 7u51.  My question is: does a thing exist which lets me define a particular Java for a particular URL or app, so that I don't have to go into the java console and disable all the versions except the one I want to use at that moment?
For apps, if it's launching as a JAR file you can specify the path to the version of java you want.  If it's an executable then you'll probably have to set up some environment variables ahead of time, and no telling how it will behave if you have multiple apps at different levels going.

For a web page... you might be SoL.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3201 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:20 AM

The "web page" is just a front end to miscellaneous Java apps.  I'm not executing any JARs directly, these are apps which come packed in software and firmware updates for appliances or nodes of appliances.  I'm not likely to be able to modify most or any of the apps, but I do use launching URLs which are unique.

Sounds like I'm SOL, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3202 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Are these using Java Web Start (javaws)?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3203 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:47 AM

How portable do you need it to be? Is this just for your desk, or do you want to record video to later post to youtube? There's a cheaper GoPro camera for about 200, but that may be overkill.
Just for my desk.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3204 on: July 02, 2014, 11:33:40 AM

Are these using Java Web Start (javaws)?

I'm not sure if it's javaws.exe or some other binary.  I'm afeared that I'd need to enable tracing to figure out that (although I can do it).  These are appliances, after all.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3205 on: July 02, 2014, 11:50:15 AM

Setup a bunch of different VMs each with a different version of Java? awesome, for real (That's what I used to do to test IE versions)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3206 on: July 02, 2014, 12:04:19 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3207 on: July 02, 2014, 02:29:21 PM

Go to a programming forum and make a fuck java in the ear post, when the drones come out to defend it present them with your problem?
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #3208 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:40 PM

The confusion continues.  So, I had a SSD reformated to NTFS ready to install Win7 over, but I sense I have more problems upstream.  I have UEFI capable motherboard, and I don't know if the original Win7 SSD install was on BIOS or UEFI (Im learning about these dependencies).  So I assume getting that right is important.

Further complications:  I have ACHI and IDE capable SATA ports, but I don't know which to pick.  The boot up is finding a UEFI and SATA capable DVD player, but only a SATA capable SSD.  Behavior I know get is the DVD drive spins out with animation dying off -- nothing starts.  And this happens even trying to install Ubuntu (just a blank screen with a flashing cursor).

So I assume the problem is picking the right SATA drive, but I don't know why this isn't working.  I mean, it's a clean SSD with a DVD player capable of being found as UEFI or BIOS (only the SSD I guess is BIOS).  Just selecing one or the other for DVD drive is not helping.  HALP!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3209 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:06 PM

Go to a programming forum and make a fuck java in the ear post, when the drones come out to defend it present them with your problem?

Awesome.  But, who doesn't loathe java?  Everyone I know hates it like hobbitses.

Also fuck UEFI in the ear.

Soln, possibly there are some firmware updates required for mainboard or DVD drive?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3210 on: July 03, 2014, 01:18:12 PM

Had a client today experience an issue with converting Word documents to PDF files using Acrobat Elements.  It would stall out about 1/4 of the way through the progress bar for some files, but not others.  Eventually, I worked out that it would work if I changed the font of the documents that aren't working.  The font that didn't work?  Times New Roman.

I'm crazy and there's probably a different/better solution than changing away from one of the most prevalent fonts in the world, right?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3211 on: July 03, 2014, 04:21:40 PM

The confusion continues.  So, I had a SSD reformated to NTFS ready to install Win7 over, but I sense I have more problems upstream.  I have UEFI capable motherboard, and I don't know if the original Win7 SSD install was on BIOS or UEFI (Im learning about these dependencies).  So I assume getting that right is important.

Further complications:  I have ACHI and IDE capable SATA ports, but I don't know which to pick.  The boot up is finding a UEFI and SATA capable DVD player, but only a SATA capable SSD.  Behavior I know get is the DVD drive spins out with animation dying off -- nothing starts.  And this happens even trying to install Ubuntu (just a blank screen with a flashing cursor).

So I assume the problem is picking the right SATA drive, but I don't know why this isn't working.  I mean, it's a clean SSD with a DVD player capable of being found as UEFI or BIOS (only the SSD I guess is BIOS).  Just selecing one or the other for DVD drive is not helping.  HALP!

You have to use AHCI with an SSD for trim support to work. BIOS should be fine for the SSD as long as the motherboard chipset supports AHCI in BIOS mode.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #3212 on: July 04, 2014, 02:19:13 PM

I upgraded my bios to the right make & model, but now there's no bios splash screen at all.  Just a blank screen, no cursor.  Any ideas?  Call Nerd Herd?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3213 on: July 04, 2014, 07:51:10 PM

Factory reset.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3214 on: July 06, 2014, 11:26:48 AM

I'm looking at the Logitech C920 and Blue's Yeti for my video/audio recording combo. Anyone have direct experience with either? Both have great reviews on Amazon and Newegg.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3215 on: July 06, 2014, 12:25:15 PM

iphone OS update completely fucks router. Apparently while its updating every other device wired or wifi is booted from the network. Its not a problem because I guess it comes back when the update is completed but wtf is wrong with Apple shit?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3216 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:51 PM

I just built a new machine with a fresh install of Win7-64 Home Premium. I'm in the process of installing utilities, and I've come across a problem.

When I try to run some installs - not all, but some - I get the error "The ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll." I could install Adobe Flash, but not Adobe Reader. I could install Firefox, but not WinRAR.

A Google search turned up a handful of general urlmon suggestions that did nothing to resolve my issue. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I installed a stack of "optional" Win 7 updates, and that seems to have corrected the problem.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:53:30 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3217 on: July 23, 2014, 12:52:15 AM

Logitech mice: Is the G400s a worthy successor to the MX518 (greatest mouse ever made)? My MX518 is starting to have problems with the scroll wheel.  sad

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3218 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:45 AM

Texture is apparently a bit different but otherwise very similar. Unfortunately it doesn't have a tilt-wheel* so I haven't tried it myself.

* That also means the G5 was actually the greatest mouse ever made since it was the same shape and design as the MX 518 but was laser instead of optical and it had a tilt wheel (plus weights if you cared about that sort of thing).

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3219 on: July 23, 2014, 07:30:33 AM

I can't speak to the MX518, but I went from a G5 (the greatest mouse ever made) to a G400s recently.  It's like going from an Audi to a Corolla. 

I was trying to save a few bones because the new G5 replacement is like $80, but the added weight and sensitivity to the G5 is missing.  The G400s's cord is so thin that one of my cats will chew through it soon enough, so I'll just splurge for the nice mouse then.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: