Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1207844 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3010 on: December 07, 2013, 06:29:48 AM

Computer's been running fine for awhile. But around October it would fail to start up once every 5-10 times. The fans would turn on, but I don't think the boot chime happens, and then it just hangs. Usually a complete shut down or two after that would make it load completely. But I don't consider that a fix smiley

At first I thought maybe the HD, but tests of that and then the RAM both came back normal. I haven't made any changes to the BIOS ever (it's not OC'd), and the only software I've installed is the usual Windows updates and Black Flag.

This problem isn't consistent, so it's hard to tell where the failure is (occasionally) happening.

I'm thinking PSU maybe? There a good way to test that beyond looking at voltages in Speccy?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3011 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53:02 AM

Sounds similar to something I was experiencing in Benin (and I don't think it's happened yet since my PC arrived).

I'm inclined to think it was a power issue for me, though I doubt that's the problem in your case.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3012 on: December 07, 2013, 10:29:38 AM

Computer's been running fine for awhile. But around October it would fail to start up once every 5-10 times. The fans would turn on, but I don't think the boot chime happens, and then it just hangs. Usually a complete shut down or two after that would make it load completely. But I don't consider that a fix smiley

At first I thought maybe the HD, but tests of that and then the RAM both came back normal. I haven't made any changes to the BIOS ever (it's not OC'd), and the only software I've installed is the usual Windows updates and Black Flag.

This problem isn't consistent, so it's hard to tell where the failure is (occasionally) happening.

I'm thinking PSU maybe? There a good way to test that beyond looking at voltages in Speccy?
Plug the computer into a different outlet. Unplug some stuff (extra hard drives, DVD drives, etc.).
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3013 on: December 07, 2013, 12:20:39 PM

Sheesh, I shoulda thought of that. Thanks Trippy. That's my next step.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3014 on: December 07, 2013, 02:19:49 PM

Also make sure to use a different power strip (and even a different power cord if you want to be super paranoid).

We had an older server which was running our control system server for the power plant showing a power supply failure that would not clear even after we replaced the PSU which we assumed had a failure on the motherboard connection. When we upgraded and retired the box, when I went to move a different machine to that rack/slot and reused the power cord I got a PSU failure. Ended up that the power cord was bad, when I grabbed a different cord it worked fine (and the power cord was not super old either).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3015 on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:25 PM

Good point. Thanks!
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3016 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:01 PM

My computer is regressing significantly in gaming ability. It's performing terribly at games it used to display perfectly well.

I dunno what to do about it. I'm poking around with drivers and testing it on 3Dmark and wondering what went wrong. What's the first thing I should do when trying to isolate the cause of my computer's decline?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3017 on: December 12, 2013, 02:15:27 PM

Describe the performance issues you have having now.

What's your computer spec?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3018 on: December 12, 2013, 02:26:14 PM

low framerate, seemingly unimpacted by setting games down to low settings. Stuttering. Both in games and in video playback. Games it used to play just fine (MWO, SWTOR, etc) now have low framerates that crash down to slideshow levels in many situations.

Win 7 64 bit
Intel core 15-2500k CPU @ 3.30ghz (4 cpu's) ~3.3GHz
8192mb ram
page file 2876mb used 13470mb available

graphics card is amd radeon HD 6800 series

may be some driver issues somewhere; the previous administrator user account on the computer got hosed and I had to essentially start from scratch in the drivers dept.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3019 on: December 12, 2013, 02:32:57 PM

I would turn off your page file temporarily. Is everything running off of a hard drive? If so what's the SMART status on it? Do you have another drive you can move some games to? Are the games on the same drive as the OS and page file?

For the video drivers I would try and do a clean install (i.e. deleting the existing drivers first).
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3020 on: December 12, 2013, 03:22:58 PM

alright, I disabled the page file, did a test on the disk and (as far as I am reading it) it's OK across the board. I'll test a game and then try the deletion and reinstallation of the video drivers ..
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3021 on: December 12, 2013, 06:39:23 PM

Seems fishy to page out 2.5GB when you have 8GB RAM.

Question: is there a tool that can create a bootable recovery ISO of a running RHEL server?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3022 on: December 12, 2013, 07:00:15 PM

If you burn the RHEL LiveCD/DVD of the release you are on to a disk it'll have a recovery mode.

If you are trying to burn an ISO of what's on the server right now you'll want something like Linux Live Kit. Not sure if Linux Live Kit will install the rescue mode that's part of the RHEL boot disc, though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3023 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:30 AM

I know I don't know linux words for things, but this sounds unnecessarily complex.  I want to run a OS backup of a running RHEL server and I want that backup image to be bootable such that I can use it to install a clone of that system.  Via Ignite or Kickstart or whatever RHEL uses for network installation, which I believe supports ISO images.  Ideally this will never be needed, but if alt-boot fails then no one wants to fuck around with a traditional reinstall.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3024 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:08 AM

After page file / deleting and replacing drivers: the game seems to present greater stability in Huttball tests in SWTOR but framerates remain conspicuously low and games get skippy a lot.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3025 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:53 AM

Is it choppy on a consistent basis or does it come and go? E.g. is it choppy as you move into a new area but then it's okay until you move into another new area?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3026 on: December 13, 2013, 12:25:39 PM

My take is that when it gets to the point that you're noticing it, it's always faster to reinstall windows than to find the problem.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3027 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:02 PM

I know I don't know linux words for things, but this sounds unnecessarily complex.  I want to run a OS backup of a running RHEL server and I want that backup image to be bootable such that I can use it to install a clone of that system.  Via Ignite or Kickstart or whatever RHEL uses for network installation, which I believe supports ISO images.  Ideally this will never be needed, but if alt-boot fails then no one wants to fuck around with a traditional reinstall.
Kickstart won't do what you want. Kickstart is the way to automate the standard RH installation process which installs everything from packages (RPMs). In other words the Kickstart config "answers" all the questions you would normally answer manually when installing RH and runs through the standard installation procedure. You can create custom repos for Kickstart to pull packages from but that's different than cloning a system or just copying the already installed files.

You probably want something like Clonezilla which will clone a drive/partition onto a bootable disk and then allow you to clone that image back onto another machine. There's also a server edition that allows you to do this over a network if you need to create multiple clones at once.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3028 on: December 13, 2013, 01:55:36 PM

It would be for system recovery, but I'll look at Clonezilla.  Typically a system build is a planned event and we don't care very much how long it takes, but when a server goes POOF we would like to get it online again ASAP.

AIX does this very easily, I just can't correlate mksysb to anything on linux.

EDIT: It must be because linux wasn't around in the tape-backup era, otherwise I assume these tools would exist.  OH WELL.  I'll keep looking around.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:00:04 PM by Yegolev »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3029 on: December 13, 2013, 05:14:31 PM

My take is that when it gets to the point that you're noticing it, it's always faster to reinstall windows than to find the problem.

I think that may be the route i have to take. I just don't have my windows 7 registration info anymore and argh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3030 on: December 13, 2013, 05:16:49 PM

I built myself a new gaming computer when I ran into that problem awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3031 on: December 13, 2013, 07:22:12 PM

It would be for system recovery, but I'll look at Clonezilla.  Typically a system build is a planned event and we don't care very much how long it takes, but when a server goes POOF we would like to get it online again ASAP.

AIX does this very easily, I just can't correlate mksysb to anything on linux.

EDIT: It must be because linux wasn't around in the tape-backup era, otherwise I assume these tools would exist.  OH WELL.  I'll keep looking around.

I would be converting it to a VM then it is easy peasy to back up and restore in minutes, plus you can move it around to different physical hardware:
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/V2V_Guide/chap-V2V_Guide-P2V_Migration_Converting_Physical_Machines_to_Virtual_Machines.html
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3032 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

I'm noticing some significant improvements in overall stability now, though in some games it still likes to drag in the teens, framerate-wise, and it's still a bit jumpy, especially when entering new areas.

I believe i can actually use amd overdrive and have it be stable now. huh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3033 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:18 PM

Jumpy moving into new areas likely means your disk I/O is suffering (trying to load textures and level information from disk onto the card). You'll probably want to get an SSD at some point dedicated to games.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3034 on: December 13, 2013, 11:42:00 PM

Yeahhh, probably going to start with the ssd then.

This has been very useful information! Thanks for taking the time to help me figure out some solutions.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3035 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:03 AM

I would be converting it to a VM then it is easy peasy to back up and restore in minutes, plus you can move it around to different physical hardware:

I didn't ask about that since if it's not a VM now, I assumed there must be a reason for it.  Or the guy that asked me is thinking too primitively.  But yes, VMware should easily do this.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3036 on: December 16, 2013, 02:29:45 PM

P2V works pretty well if your VMware environment has access to the same IP/network space as the physical box so that you can keep your configuration (ours doesn't for a number of stupid reasons).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3037 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02:23 PM

Well, that would entail a migration project in all likelihood.  Not that I know anything about P2V except generally what it does.  The Winders admins used it for migration work that I wasn't directly involved in... I was using real computing systems. why so serious?

Anyway, even if I decide that VMware backups are now the way to go, it still seems like it is or was a big gap in linux enterprise solutioning that you can't just take a backup of a server and then BOOM restore it in place or elsewhere.  Luckily I won't have to worry too much about it.  Not my project.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3038 on: December 16, 2013, 09:34:50 PM

it still seems like it is or was a big gap in linux enterprise solutioning that you can't just take a backup of a server and then BOOM restore it in place or elsewhere.  Luckily I won't have to worry too much about it.
Yes, you can.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3039 on: December 16, 2013, 10:06:04 PM

I'll amend it, then, to say that I don't know how to do it in a slick manner.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3040 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:21 PM

I'm not ready for IPv6, suddenly things that I used to be familiar with do not look familiar (why does my gateway have letters in it  ACK! ) anyone got a good link that explains what just happened and why?

Comcast seems to have rolled it out in the last couple weeks and ever since my network (especially wireless) has been way less good/reliable.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3041 on: December 23, 2013, 05:06:39 AM

I'm not ready for IPv6, suddenly things that I used to be familiar with do not look familiar (why does my gateway have letters in it  ACK! ) anyone got a good link that explains what just happened and why?

Comcast seems to have rolled it out in the last couple weeks and ever since my network (especially wireless) has been way less good/reliable.

If your devices are having problems with IPv6, just turn it off on your router. AFAIK Comcast runs dual-stack so it won't hurt your ability to connect to anything (unless it is v6 only, but I have not heard of anything that has gone that way yet).

schild
Administrator

Reply #3042 on: January 06, 2014, 04:05:47 PM

Mom wants to spend $400 to $600 on a new laptop. Someone just point me to whatever the standard is for things in that price range. 10 points to the Wizard School of their choice if it's an amazon link because I'm shameless. I don't really care where the link comes from. Here's what you need to know about the laptop:

She'll use, uhhh Outlook and Microsoft Word. Maybe Powerpoint if she's feeling saucy.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3043 on: January 06, 2014, 04:32:08 PM

How portable does it need to be? Does she have good eyesight (i.e. can use a small screen with very high DPI)?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3044 on: January 06, 2014, 04:33:28 PM

How portable does it need to be? Does she have good eyesight (i.e. can use a small screen with very high DPI)?
I'm thinking between 14 and 16" but 17" may be too bulky. I wouldn't go smaller than 14 though.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: