Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 College Football  (Read 99996 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: January 08, 2009, 01:41:31 PM

I'm 100% in favor of a playoff system, but you have to consider a) $$$ and b) the time required of student athletes and staff.

I-AA doesn't seem to have a problem with B.  Not only do they currently have a 16 team playoff, it's apparently expanding to a 20 team playoff in 2010.  As I posted in the previous link, it's 100% about A.  If they really put their noses to the grindstone though, I'm sure an equitable solution could be found for the $$$ problem.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #316 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00:38 PM

Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it better when bowls were just their more traditional conference matchups.

I don't see why we have to have a "real" championship anyway. People like to have something to argue about, why settle it for them.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: January 08, 2009, 05:44:50 PM

I honestly don't see why there can't be a +1 game between the winners of the 1-2 and 3-4 games.  Keep the current bowls as they are.

If the issue is money (500 million dollars worth of revenue this year from the bowls), which it always is, a +1 doesnt hurt that. 

But I suppose they look at it that if they did institute a +1 game between the 1-2 and 3-4, sooner or later people would start complaining that the 5-8 should be given a shot as well.  Therefore it would become a never ending circular argument.  Which is precisely what we have now.

Also, UF 27, OU 17
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #318 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:16 PM

Man, I really wish I had bet the under on this thing.

EDIT: Wow, what an ubercheap yank on Harvin's ankle after the play. Way to stay classy Oklahoma.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:10:56 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: January 08, 2009, 08:40:31 PM

Grats to the Gators.

Looks like the Big-12 wasn't exactly all that considering their performance in the bowls this year.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #320 on: January 08, 2009, 11:05:08 PM

Grats to the Gators.

Looks like the Big-12 wasn't exactly all that considering their performance in the bowls this year.

They ended up with a very middle of the road showing in the bowls. The Texas Tech loss to Ole Miss, and the OU loss to Florida were the most telling in the debates b/w the SEC and the Big 12 in terms of dominance. The Oklahoma State loss to Oregon was embarrassing. The Texas slight win over Ohio State was boring until the last quarter.

If Alabama didn't screw things up, the SEC would have essentially walked away with the "best performing conference" award in my book. I think they still have it by a slight margin. The PAC-10 had the better bowl % record, but were in fewer bowls, had a lower percentage of their conference in bowls, had less overall wins, and lost more out of conference games in the regular season.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #321 on: January 08, 2009, 11:40:33 PM

Better bowl percentage as in hmmm... 100%  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  SEC was likely stronger top to bottom, but we won't know because they didn't get matched up at all and the one marquee match for the Pac 10 drew a Big 10 opponent.  Ohhhhh, I see. 

Arizona (yay), USC and Oregon had good wins.  Oregon was putting up those kind of numbers against everyone, including an Arizona team that held USC to 17 points (although it felt like USC was toying with us).  Arizona finally won a game where we weren't playing an obviously worse team (Cal game being just about the lone exception during year).  And USC has freakish team speed and a pro quality D.  Seeing them in person was scary, their linebackers are just everywhere.  Oregon State and Cal games didn't prove anything.

Would have been nice to see a LSU/Oregon or Arizona/Ole Miss.

Gators looked tough tonight and I think they could have played better.  I'd have a hard time putting Utah or USC definitely above them, although I don't think one team stands above the rest purely upon what I've seen.  Texas looked like they'd get pasted.   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:43:58 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: January 09, 2009, 06:25:41 AM

What a great game. 

National sports pundits were blasting Stoops early this morning, saying how he manages to choke in the big games.  Just wouldn't do to admit the Big 12 is, and always has been, overrated.  And when the time comes to put up or shut up, the later usually happens.

If there's a better college football player ever than Tim Teebow, I'd love to see them.  That said, the difference maker in that game was Percy Harvin.  And wowwee that takeaway by Black was awesome.

Nice job, Gators.

Only 8 more months to go for kickoff of the '09-'10 season  awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: January 09, 2009, 06:51:20 AM

If there's a better college football player ever than Tim Teebow, I'd love to see them. 

Check out film on Barry Sanders, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe, Charles Woodson, Dick Butkus, Dave Rimington, and my personal favorite, Bronco Nagurski (if available). 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: January 09, 2009, 07:04:58 AM

While they may be better athletes, especially Jim Brown (that man was a god), but in as far as a leader, player, and the ability to just flat out will his team to victory - no one is tops.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: January 09, 2009, 07:14:07 AM

While they may be better athletes, especially Jim Brown (that man was a god), but in as far as a leader, player, and the ability to just flat out will his team to victory - no one is tops.

Teebow is a wonderful and talented athlete.  The best at willing his team to victory?  I disagree.  Take a look at guys like Roger Staubach that could take a weaker group of players to victory.  Those are the guys that demonstrate the kind of skills you're looking for.  Being able to win nearly every game with some of the best athletes in the NCAA isn't that impressive a feat.  Getting a team of average players to overachieve takes the kind of greatness you're after. 

Hell, by your criteria Herschel Walker is the best player of all time.  The man singlehandedly turned around the Georgia program.  In 1979, the Georgia Bulldogs went 6-5 and were not invited to a post-season bowl game. In 1980, the Georgia Bulldogs were the only undefeated team in Division I-A, NCAA College Football. They went 12-0, beating Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl to win College Football's NCAA Division I National Championship.

EDIT: That hurt to type... I never liked the SEC.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:16:25 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:56 AM

Man, Utah comes up just 87 points short of winning the AP national championship vote.   #2 is pretty damn impressive for an outsider to the BCS though.

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: January 11, 2009, 10:12:51 PM

And college football collectively says Crap.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #328 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:45 PM

And college football collectively says Crap.

Well, we're fucked. I think I'll put the order in for more booze this year at the GA/FL tailgate.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: February 04, 2009, 08:08:30 PM

Two straight top rated recruiting classes!  Roll Tide!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #330 on: February 04, 2009, 08:41:42 PM

Georgia came out pretty well, and they picked up a lot of the weak points we have problems with last year. We got a 5 star DB, and a 4 star DT, and LB. Those three guys should help round out some of the crappy defensive problems we've had. Also, we got some high profile Offensive Lineman, which we desperately needed with all the injuries and seniors we have going this year.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: February 04, 2009, 09:57:47 PM

I don't put a lot of stock in the "ratings" as if you look across the different raters you get wild variation among them on specific players. There will of course be the consensus guys but you get past the first 25 or so players and its rather meaningless.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #332 on: February 05, 2009, 07:44:10 AM

True, but Georgia is recruiting in the right direction. They are mostly ignoring the skill players, because we have a lot of talent already in those positions, and they are focusing on the Offensive line and the Defensive secondary, two places we were extremely weak in 2008.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: February 05, 2009, 07:45:09 AM

Two straight top rated recruiting classes!  Roll Tide!

Two big 10 teams in the top 10.  Makes me proud of my old conference.  

Not sure what I make of that ranking system though.  I'd really be interested in pension players in the NFL to see where the high quality players with longevity tend to originate.  

-  Mark Twain
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: June 11, 2009, 01:07:19 PM

Two straight top rated recruiting classes!  Roll Tide!

Alabama to forfeit 10 wins

Now I like to hit on the Surely Everyone Cheats conference as much as anyone, but forfeiting 10 wins and 5 years of probation for a bunch of textbooks seems a bit harsh, even for a "repeat offender":

"The university has said none of the textbooks or materials were used for profit or to get items not related to academics, and that the athletes involved who still have eligibility remaining have had to pay restitution"

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #335 on: June 11, 2009, 01:18:47 PM

Stupid decision. The SEC cheats just like everyone else, because the rules are absolutely moronic in today's marketplace of athletics.

At least this will clue in the nation that they do actually have textbooks at Alabama.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: June 11, 2009, 02:07:07 PM

At least this will clue in the nation that they do actually have textbooks at Alabama.

Shush you. 

At least we get to keep the UGA win  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Actually, the punishment is better than most expected considering that we fell into the repeat violator window.  The saving grace for the football team was the rapid investigation, suspension, and reporting of the violations.  However, the NCAA has had a major hard on for Alabama for about 20 someodd years now, violating their own rules and bylaws (secret witnesses, etc) in order to nail our 'nads to the wall. 

Also: 86 days 'till kick off.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:06 AM

Wow.  Talk about a mountain out of a molehill.

Of the ~200 student athletes involved:
~180 of them received books they shouldn't have.  Apparently, they were given books that are 'recommended' by the class's syllabus, however, only books that are listed as 'required' are covered by their scholarship.
~20 of the athletes involved either gave their books to a friend or sold them after the class was over rather than returning them to the book store.
17 programs involved, covering mens and womens sports

There's no way Alabama is the only school that's 'guilty' of this...
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: June 12, 2009, 04:58:12 PM

Wow.  Talk about a mountain out of a molehill.

Of the ~200 student athletes involved:
~180 of them received books they shouldn't have.  Apparently, they were given books that are 'recommended' by the class's syllabus, however, only books that are listed as 'required' are covered by their scholarship.
~20 of the athletes involved either gave their books to a friend or sold them after the class was over rather than returning them to the book store.
17 programs involved, covering mens and womens sports

There's no way Alabama is the only school that's 'guilty' of this...

Yep. Meanwhile USC is stonewalling the Reggie Bush investigation about hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of illegal benefits, and nothing happens. Makes you wonder if cooperating with the NCAA is actually worth it.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #339 on: June 14, 2009, 02:24:52 PM

It's really not. Working with any govermental body when you are guillty doesn't benefit you.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: June 16, 2009, 09:47:37 AM

81 DAYS

/eyetwitch
WayAbvPar

Reply #341 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:30 AM

81 DAYS

/eyetwitch

Is that the total number of days anyone from the Alabama football team attended class last year?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:27 AM

Aaaaha.  Haaahahahahaahaha.  

Shut it.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: July 29, 2009, 03:32:16 PM

38 DAYS 2 HOURS 23 MINUTES

Too early for a new thread?  If not, just lock this one and I'll start anew.

WayAbvPar

Reply #344 on: July 29, 2009, 05:11:11 PM

Probably time for a new thread. Go right ahead.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 College Football  
Jump to: