Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 College Football  (Read 99995 times)
Montague
Terracotta Army

on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:15 AM

Training camp is here. Preseason top 25 by the coaches:

1. Georgia (22)
2. USC (14)
3. Ohio State (14)
4. Oklahoma (3)
5. Florida (5)
6. LSU (3)
7. Missouri
8. West Virginia
9. Clemson
10. Texas
11. Auburn
12. Wisconsin
13. Kansas
14. Texas Tech
15. Virginia Tech
16. Arizona State
17. Brigham Young
18. Tennessee
19. Illinois
20. Oregon
21. South Florida
22. Penn State
23. Wake Forest
24. Michigan  awesome, for real
25. Fresno State

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:17:41 PM

Speaking as a Georgia fan this scares the hell out of me.

Our schedule is bend-over hard this year, and I'm not at all sure we can go undefeated. We just don't dominate teams like other programs. Still, the Dawgs are good at winning close matchups.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:29 PM

Speaking as a Georgia fan this scares the hell out of me.

Our schedule is bend-over hard this year, and I'm not at all sure we can go undefeated. We just don't dominate teams like other programs. Still, the Dawgs are good at winning close matchups.

One loss in the SEC should get you in to the title game. At least you have a reasonable chance of a successful season.

Unless Ohio State goes undefeated and then roflstomps an SEC team to win the national championship they'll be vilified and second-guessed, which is a shame but its the nature of the beast.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 05:51:35 PM

Hm, Cal not in the top 25 to start with, but I think we have a shot to creep into the lower middle by the end of the year. Depends how this whole quarterback "controversy" gets resolved I guess.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:11:03 PM

I second the  awesome, for real as to Michigan.  They'll be lucky, VERY lucky to be 7-5.  Of course, with nothing to lose this year, John Cooper's ....I mean Lloyd Carr's....replacement will probably shake the jinx. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:44:46 PM

I second the  awesome, for real as to Michigan.  They'll be lucky, VERY lucky to be 7-5.  Of course, with nothing to lose this year, John Cooper's ....I mean Lloyd Carr's....replacement will probably shake the jinx. 

Didn't you hear? Michigan has BARWIS! They didn't start lifting weights till this year!

Yes, Michigan fans are basing their hopes on a strength and conditioning coach.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:39:59 PM

I have very high hopes for my Missouri Tigers this year.   they just need to keep their shit together vs. Oklahoma. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:26:46 PM

The Big 12 is still the Big 2 until proven otherwise. Kansas State was 5 years ago.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 02:44:02 PM

The Big 12 is still the Big 2 until proven otherwise. Kansas State was 5 years ago.

All the major conferences are like that now except for the SEC. The only reason the ACC is balanced is because Miami and Florida State have gone in the tank.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 10:12:28 AM

All the major conferences are like that now except for the SEC. The only reason the ACC is balanced is because Miami and Florida State have gone in the tank.

Pretty true, and kinda sad when you think about it. I'd like to see someone else out of the PAC-10 besides USC, and someone out of the Big 10 besides Ohio State. However, both of those conferences are blocking a playoff format, so they get no credit beyond being pussies to me. Also, the SEC is only balanced because we steal everyone's talent out of Georgia and Florida and spread it around, then we kick the shit out of each other weekly. Georgia's #1, but there's no way we finish there. I'm praying to sneak in after a 2 loss season when everyone else tanks.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:28:31 PM

USF is 21?!?!

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oh man. I'm either too drunk or too happy. Either way, FUCK YEAH!

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 06:25:25 AM

We'll know pretty early how good USF is this year with that Sept 12th game against #13 Kansas.

Over and out.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 05:01:49 PM

I think they're in trouble this year without the big MLB and shutdown corners. We'll see though. RBs and WR core are both really good.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 05:34:16 PM

I think they're in trouble this year without the big MLB and shutdown corners. We'll see though. RBs and WR core are both really good.

I think USF will be solid through the first four games. After that, their schedule gets really rough, and it's all in a row.

NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and Cincy. If they make it 4-1 through all that, it's big-time in my book. I don't think they can go undefeated, and even if they do you always have good ole WVU waiting at the end in their house.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 05:18:37 PM

They rode the defense hard last year, which made people forget their offense was close to shit. They ran up the score on some middling opponents, and Grothe looked like a champ when he ran up the score on lesser opponents. However, during crunch time, against good teams, our offense sucked.

I think USF might be 9-3 or 10-2 this year, but I'm leaning toward 9-3. WVU and another random loss. Kansas could be the third.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 11:48:24 PM

I think Utah has a legit shot to beat Michigan next Saturday.  Our QB Johnson is finally healthy and our D is very good.  I actually wish they hadn't lost to Appalachian State last year because now they will be playing uber hard not to drop their first game this year.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 01:33:26 AM

I think Utah has a legit shot to beat Michigan next Saturday.  Our QB Johnson is finally healthy and our D is very good.  I actually wish they hadn't lost to Appalachian State last year because now they will be playing uber hard not to drop their first game this year.

Utah should be favored in that game. Michigan is a total mess offensively - their starting right guard was an undersized defensive tackle as of 2 weeks ago. They are literally down to walk-ons and true freshmen on the OL.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 01:35:41 AM

That's good to hear. Don't follow Michigan football enough to know much about how they are doing this year.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 02:40:26 PM

Georgia Tech fans in Atlanta are starting to get uppity. Apparently Paul Johnson and the triple option has given them hope. Not to mention that they have lost to Georgia 7 years in a row. It's slightly more lopsided lately than the Iron Bowl.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 04:43:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtnjlrJc8-o

WE'RE COMING TO YOUR CITY, BITCHES!

I'm so amped up. Let the countdown to kickoff commence! T-minus 72 hours to N. Carolina v. S. Carolina!

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 11:11:35 AM

They just took Chris Wells off the field in a cart. Likely torn tendons in foot, likely done for the year.

I'm off to drink heavily.  why so serious?

And on the other hand, Terrelle Pryor looks like he's gonna be special.

Edit #2 - Now they say he's "fine". Dunno, looked like a serious injury to me but he was walking around in an air cast. Huge break for OSU if true.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:11:19 PM by Montague »

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 01:40:06 PM

This Utah quarterback is a monster. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 01:58:19 PM

Ya, Johnson is really good.  His last two years have been ruined by injuries or he would seriously be in the Heisman discussion (4th in total offense in the country in 2005, the first year he played the whole season).

I wish Utah would stop gifting points to Michigan though.

-H.L. Mencken
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 01:59:19 PM

The Wannstache takes his awesome recruiting class and leads them to a loss against Bowling Green.  Ahahaha!  why so serious?

Over and out.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 02:18:52 PM

Ya, Johnson is really good.  His last two years have been ruined by injuries or he would seriously be in the Heisman discussion (4th in total offense in the country in 2005, the first year he played the whole season).

I wish Utah would stop gifting points to Michigan though.

Richrod gifted them 7 right back. Big 10 refs are really homering Utah and they still lead by 12.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 02:50:24 PM

I actually don't think they are getting homered. Utah is terrible in committing penalties, especially early in the season. Always has been.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 03:46:58 PM

Here comes Utah's fucking collapse. Unreal.

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 03:52:35 PM

I actually don't think they are getting homered. Utah is terrible in committing penalties, especially early in the season. Always has been.

15 yards unsportsmanlike conduct
15 yards on a 5 yard facemask
15 yard pass interference

137 penalty yards. To put that in perspective, that's more penalty yards than Ohio State opponents got in the first four games last year.

Granted, Utah is imploding but if its anywhere near a penalty its getting called. Sickening.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 04:22:42 PM

Heh, looked pretty standard for Utah.  They have no discipline or killer instinct under Wittingham and Ludwig. Under Urban Meyer the score of this game would have been 45-7.

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 04:27:35 PM

Heh, looked pretty standard for Utah.  They have no discipline or killer instinct under Wittingham and Ludwig. Under Urban Meyer the score of this game would have been 45-7.

And Utah gets the win. Johnson reminds me a lot of Chris Leak - give him time to throw and he'll perform. 2nd half Michigan put a lot of pressure on him and he didnt do much.

Michigan could be halfway decent if they junk the spread stuff and run Minor and McGuffie out of the I with Threet at QB. Dickrod is too stubborn to do that though, so the implosion should be fun to watch. Be interesting to see how long the defense plays hard this year.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:15 PM

2nd half Michigan put a lot of pressure on him and he didnt do much.

That's because Ludwig is fundamentally incapable of making adjustments.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 08:48:16 PM

This Mizzou/Illinois game is turning into a great game.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 03:36:32 PM

This Mizzou/Illinois game is turning into a great game.

Good defensive finish for the Mizzou in that game. I hate Ron Zook since he's a former Florida coach and a Big Ten coach.

Also, the Alabama-Clemson game was a rout. My lord, a top 10 ranking for an ACC team? That conference is pitiful this year, and they might get completely knocked out of the top 25 in a couple weeks. The VA Tech loss to East Carolina is embarrassing also. Wake Forest will stay top 25 this week, but they have to get past a decent Ole Miss team next week.

The PAC-10 looks better this year than it has in the past, and I think they will cause some problems for teams like Georgia and Tennessee who still have games left against them this season. Oregon, AZ State, and USC are all good programs.

The Big 10 is questionable again this year. I'm really hoping Ohio State takes a beating from USC, because it will shut the door on any chance that conference has at competing for a title shot loss again this year. Michigan and Michigan State both lost early, and Ohio State may be down a Heisman contender. For some reason, Illinois got voted into the top 25 after they got clobbered by USC in a bowl and the fact that they have no defense to speak of. Wisconsin could be a legit ranked team, but we'll have to wait for 3 more weeks to see when they play a weak Michigan squad. Penn State is also ranked, but they don't face any tests for another month. We'll see if they can play decently against the Beavers and withhold judgement there.

The Big 12 is the second best conference this year in my book. They are dangerous from a lot of different places, and there has been a revival in the previously pathetic north. It's not just Texas-OU anymore. Missouri is an offensive juggernaught that will give defensive coordinators fits. Texas Tech could easily play spoiler this year and ruin both Texas and OU's seasons in November. Even Kansas is in the hunt for the Big 12 championship. The big shocker this week was the A&M loss to AK State, so they just became bigger dogs than Baylor until they beat them.

Lastly, my SEC boys have done well so far. Only Mississippi State has lost, with the big surprise win being Alabama over Clemson. South Carolina started off extremely slow against NCST but they turned it on late and shut them out with good defense. Vandy won as an underdog on the road against Miami(OH), which is nice for them even though they really suck. Four teams in the conference are top 10. Half the conference is ranked in the top 25. I think there is a very solid chance that the SEC could three-peat as NCAA champions this year.

WayAbvPar

Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:34 AM

I thought Oregon's offense would be down after losing Dixon and Stewart. They were nigh unstoppable Saturday night. Of course, I am not sure the UW defense could stop a Murderball team, so grain of salt and all that. Ty Willingham is gonna get fired at the end of the season, if not before. His team is really young, but they looked like they had never played organized football before. What a clusterfuck. Sure glad to watch Locker's eligibility get burned on this shit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:42 PM

Is Michigan State supposed to be any good this year? I want to know if I should be cautiously optimistic that we beat them, or filled with despair that they almost beat us.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 College Football  
Jump to: