Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 College Football  (Read 100396 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 05:40:20 PM

How is that complicated?  The Big East isn't any different than the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 or ACC with regard to conference champs getting BCS bowl invitations.

Don't overlook that away game at Louisville.  USF has never won in Louisville and they (finally) looked good last night.

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:30 PM

West Virginia sucks this year.

Case in point, today.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 10:13:46 PM

Karma for all the toothless histrionics they threw when Rodriguez left.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 20, 2008, 08:02:30 PM

That LSU-Auburn game was pretty entertaining. That Lee kid was nails after that ridiculous screen/gift-touchdown he gave up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #74 on: September 20, 2008, 08:15:03 PM

I like watching Auburn cry. They can't win the SEC now.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 20, 2008, 11:48:28 PM

Athens bound next weekend.  Ought to be one helluva a game.  True litmus test to see if Bama is for real.  Came out with a couple nicks and bruises against Arkansas, but nothing serious, though hearing Rolando McClain slightly sprained his foot is kinda bad news. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #76 on: September 21, 2008, 09:32:03 AM

Athens bound next weekend.  Ought to be one helluva a game.  True litmus test to see if Bama is for real.  Came out with a couple nicks and bruises against Arkansas, but nothing serious, though hearing Rolando McClain slightly sprained his foot is kinda bad news. 

I'm optimistically terrified. I think my Dawgs have been living on the edge all season, and they can't keep taking over 100 yards in penalties a game. Bama OTOH has been nothing short of a frieght train in every game they've played.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 21, 2008, 08:11:34 PM

Heh. 'Optimistically terrified' is a great way of putting it for me as well. 

I can't get a read on UGA from the two games I've seen them play.  They seem to be playing close to the vest, not showing much.  I'm scared some offensive juggarnaught is going to come out.

What Bama team shows up?  The one that mauled Clemson and Arkansas?  Or the team that sleptwalk through Tulane?  I don't really count the Western Kentucky game as a real opponent - they SHOULD have won that game the way they did. 

ESPN Gameday is going to be on site at Sanford Stadium.  It's going to be completely INSANE. 

What is the must see/eat/place to go in Athens?  Somewhere for dinner Friday night, then a bar afterwards.  We're heading up Friday afternoon/night in an RV. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 09:32:15 PM

Best place to eat in Athens downtown is probably Porterhouse, the downtown steakhouse. Other options are Harry Bisset's for Cajun, Depalma's for Italian, and Casa Mi for Spanish Tapas, and East/West is also popular. As for bars, they are impossible to keep track of. I prefer drinking in Bisset's, Winery, and Gameday Pub because they are older crowds. Flanigans, Boarshead, and Firehouse were always the 18 year old cram em to the wall places.

As for things to see, if you're going to Athens on gameday, you've seen the best the town has to offer.

EDIT: If you are looking for more classic Athens college grub, there's always The Grill and Little Italy for lunch.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:36:07 PM by Paelos »

WayAbvPar

Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 10:56:31 AM

Pac-10 officials once again embarrass themselves, the conference, and the game of football itself. The play itself didn't end up being decisive (and it was a game between a horrible team and a I-AA school), but they still absolutely butchered a call.

WSU DB tips the ball in the air. As he is falling to the ground, he sticks his hand out and keeps the ball from hitting the ground. He then corrals the ball with both hands. The ball never comes close to the ground, and is rightly called an interception on the field. It is then reviewed, which everyone watching assumed was a formality (review request came from the booth, not from a coach). After seeing the same replays I saw, in which there was no doubt that the ball never hit the ground (while watching the replays, one of the moronic color guys doing the game even said it would be "dumb" if they overturned it), the ref comes out, reverses the decision on the field, and gives the ball back to PSU.

Like I said earlier- it wasn't an important call in a big game, but it showed yet AGAIN that the Pac-10 has the worst officials (and refs in basketball) in organized sports. It isn't even that they are biased one way or another- they are just incompetent.

I wish I could find a video of it. It was just another godawful call.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 12:13:29 PM

Best place to eat in Athens downtown is probably Porterhouse, the downtown steakhouse.

That's perfect, many thanks.

We have 4 seats in the 105 section, and 2 seats in the 112 section, which is supposed to be the 'visitors' side.  I fully expect to be surrounded by a sea of black jersies, however.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 04:30:16 PM

Best place to eat in Athens downtown is probably Porterhouse, the downtown steakhouse.

That's perfect, many thanks.

We have 4 seats in the 105 section, and 2 seats in the 112 section, which is supposed to be the 'visitors' side.  I fully expect to be surrounded by a sea of black jersies, however.

105 is just inside Gate 2, and you'll be in front of Georgia fans. The Visitors get the seats below the fans on that side, and so they must constantly walk past them up and down the aisles. I've seen several fights break out in that section over the years when I had tickets above that section, so I would recommend coming into your seats at the field level gates, rather than come in up top on the bridge at Gate 2. It's just less of a PITA.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 23, 2008, 01:10:10 PM

Good defensive finish for the Mizzou in that game.

In the past few years def has been Mizzou's biggest problem.  I fucking scream in rage everytime we go into 1/2 time leading by like 20+ points only to have lose the lead second half.  Thanfully it didn't happen much last year (year before last was hard to watch, almost like they said "fuck it, we're so far ahead they can't do shit").  I have high hopes for Mizzou this year, assuming we can handle Oklahoma state. 

shouldn't have a problem vs KU or NE, they both suck donkey dick anway. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 23, 2008, 08:57:37 PM

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #84 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:27 PM

Bah, it's RTR all the way to the weekend, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm hoping for a repeat of the Bama-Georgia game when I was an undergrad from 94-98. You guess which year.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 08:23:36 PM

The Zier (sp?) / Barker matchup in '94 (I think)?  That was a helluva game. 

This game scares me to death.  If Bama jumps out big (14+ points) early, I think they cruise to nice win - we need confidence early as it will settle the young players down.  If they get behind early (7+), I think they lose.  If it stays relatively even, I think it comes down to who has the ball last.  That sounds like a Captain Obvious statement, I know.  But Bama has thrived on early knockout blows, and hasn't had to press to come from behind to win.  It's a young team, and generally that means the players hit a panic button when things aren't 'normal'. 

UGA is going to exploit the hell out of the right side OL with the blitz; to punch JPW in the mouth a few times to get him rattled.  They'll also exploit Bama's speed and aggressiveness on defense with screen plays.
Bama is going to HAVE to run the ball consistently, with some decent play out of JPW.  They HAVE to protect him on the right side.  And the special teams are going to have to learn to cover on kick offs.  Giving UGA a short field won't work.

For some reason, I think the new clock rules are going to be pivotal in this game.

Midweek prediction?  Both teams scoring in the mid 20's.  And since I'm a Bama homer through and through, I figure 24-23 Bama. 

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #86 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:01 AM

Yep, definitely the '94 game.

JPW needs to be a good scrambler, because I don't think the OL has ever done a solid job of protecting him. When he DOES get some protection and gets time to throw, he's still on it. But I really can't figure out why the OL hasn't done that great of a job for him the last few seasons.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: September 25, 2008, 11:12:59 AM

The left side, with top 5 pick Andre Smith is fine.  The right side is where he gets blasted.  Bama hasn't had a solid right tackle for a while now.  Look for UGA to bring three (DE, and two blitzers) on the right early and often, regardless if there's a RB back there to help out.  IngramCoffeeUpchurchGrant are going to have to step up, and step up big to offer some protection.  Hopefully McElwain will call some roll outs to the left to help mitigate this.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:58 PM

USC will drop some inexplicable game to Stanford or Cal or UCLA along the way.  It's in their DNA.

Or Oregon State. 21-0 at half

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 25, 2008, 07:54:39 PM

Heh. Knew it (it ain't over yet though)

That would be sweet if it happens, then the Utes can beat up on Oregon State in the inevitable away-game let down next week and up their SoS.

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:37 PM

I smell Ohio State-Oklahoma!  The story begins anew. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25:47 PM

I smell Ohio State-Oklahoma!  The story begins anew. 

Oh god please no. I just wanna smoke somebody in a BCS bowl game and be the team "playing the best football right now"   awesome, for real

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #92 on: September 25, 2008, 09:56:33 PM

Ohio State still has no chance.

Put that out of your mind.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 26, 2008, 12:21:16 AM

Ohio State still has no chance.

Put that out of your mind.

Football critics have the memory of a goldfish.  Four or five weeks from now, when OSU stomped the rest of the Big Ten and Pryor is Vince Younging it up, they will be ranked 4th or 5th again (rationalized by saying "Pryor and Wells together=awesome!).  Then, a couple last minute losses put them in the championship game, where the gods want them to be (and lose). 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #94 on: September 26, 2008, 09:55:36 AM

I think the voters are tired of OSU's shtick. Plus, I don't think they can win out. There's no guarantee that they beat Wisconsin, Penn State, or Michigan. The defense is just awful.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #95 on: September 26, 2008, 12:36:19 PM

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 28, 2008, 12:36:58 AM

Looks like Alabama is back.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #97 on: September 28, 2008, 06:26:52 AM

The 4th quarter was a bit rough, but yeah, RTR folks, RTfuckingR.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #98 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:51 AM

My team forgot to get off the bus. By the time the Dawgs figured out what the hell was going on, 30 points in a half wasn't enough.

Ah well, I have ridiculous hopes of a rematch in the SEC championship. That would be epic.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 28, 2008, 11:33:00 AM

That was a perfect win for the Tide.  A complete dick stomping, followed by a let up that will let Saban ride their asses into the ground to never :ever: let up.

Really looking forward to that LSU game now.

RTR
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 28, 2008, 11:48:12 AM

Just got back.  Hole eee sheep shit.  What a game.  I will hand it to UGA though.  After getting curbstomped in the first half, then to come back in the 3rd to make it interesting showed alot of character.  The garbage points in the 4th I really wasn't too worried about, since it was mostly Alabama scrubs, though I admit my ass was taking bites out of the seat in the 3rd.  I don't think anyone could have predicted that score.

Have got some great pics from the game, which I'll host somewhere and link up as soon as I can find my cable.   

Ah well, I have ridiculous hopes of a rematch in the SEC championship. That would be epic.

That's probably going to happen.  I'm looking for tickets now  Rock on!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:50:49 AM by SnakeCharmer »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #101 on: September 28, 2008, 02:30:06 PM

My team forgot to get off the bus.

That's ok, they couldn't have bought gas for it anyway.  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #102 on: September 28, 2008, 02:56:52 PM

All in all, if UGA had to lose, they couldn't have picked a better week to do when half the top 25 was having issues.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #103 on: September 28, 2008, 11:41:55 PM

Wow, Bama is now ranked #2 in the AP poll.

I think we started the season in the 30s.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 29, 2008, 12:04:28 AM

Ohio State stayed 14th.  Wow, maybe the pollsters HAVE learned.  I honestly expected a bunch of "OMG WELLS AND PRYOR TOGETHER AT LAST" articles and a ranking around 7th.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 College Football  
Jump to: