Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Fury shutting down 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fury shutting down  (Read 36907 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:02 AM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:22:53 AM

Oh well

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:29:23 AM

This comes as a surprise!

Ohhhhh, I see.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Etro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:32:22 AM

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:36:39 AM

48 hours? While not surprising that Fury is dying, was there any warning to the playerbase before then? Honestly guys, at least give your two weeks notice when leaving your.. playerbase? Is there a singular of playerbase?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:37:32 AM

48 hours? While not surprising that Fury is dying, was there any warning to the playerbase before then? Honestly guys, at least give your two weeks notice when leaving your.. playerbase? Is there a singular of playerbase?

playercouchfort

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:49:36 AM

How many people were actually playing this? I can't imagine it was a massive number.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:52:23 AM

This thread would have been so much more apt if it had been left after reply #1.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:35:20 AM

ZOMG ALL PVP GAMES ARE DOOMED TO FAIL

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:53:52 AM

What is with you people and your fucking green?!?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:55:06 AM

What is with you people and your fucking green?!?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 06:55:49 AM

I thought this happened a long time ago.  This game was still running?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:09:35 AM

There was warning two or three months ago when the developing company folded.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 07:27:19 AM

Lol like 2 months ago they said "no more patches or development until we get a marketing partner", which in itself was hillarious thinking they could get a marketing partner without a development team (since this was right after the last designer left).

Ah well, maybe i'll send Adam Carpenter another email laughing at him.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 07:35:29 AM

Why Adam Carpenter? I mean, I know his position on the project, but why him? Or is he who you blame this on?
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 07:45:20 AM

Why Adam Carpenter? I mean, I know his position on the project, but why him? Or is he who you blame this on?

Cause I worked under him and saw how bad of a game designer he is, how much he disrespected the team (including the design team), and how much of an egotistical ass he became.

I laugh everytime I see that he still hasn't gotten a job (and yes he's been looking).
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 10:24:38 AM

Cause I worked under him and saw how bad of a game designer he is, how much he disrespected the team (including the design team), and how much of an egotistical ass he became.

I laugh everytime I see that he still hasn't gotten a job (and yes he's been looking).

This isn't the first time I'm reading this. I heard this on (awe) FOH and on Gamasutra. However I'm not shocked at all this happened, the game has nothing to it and the PvP-part is boring and subpar, at best. Which the entire game is built around.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 07:01:40 PM

Fury had a few interesting ideas to it. It's a pity they'll be forgotten as people either gather to laugh and point at the destruction or avert their eyes in case the failure somehow contaminates them.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:04:44 PM

Fury had a few interesting ideas to it. It's a pity they'll be forgotten as people either gather to laugh and point at the destruction or avert their eyes in case the failure somehow contaminates them.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 07:36:48 PM

Fury, we hardly knew ye.  The problem with PvP games nowadays is that only people who want to PvP play them.  To get back that old 1998-1999 UO feeling, someone needs to design a hardcore PvP mmo but disguise part of it as a hip browser game for teen girls.  Then, when people log in, their credit card payments are locked and they are thrown into a pvp gameworld where they are ganked over and over.  There's a fortune to be made...

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 07:37:51 PM

Teen girls would be brutal PvPers.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:51:05 PM

Fury, we hardly knew ye.  The problem with PvP games nowadays is that only people who want to PvP play them.

If you think that was the main problem with Fury, I can only assume you never played it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 10:04:24 PM

Wasn't fury the 100% instanced pvp team battle thing? It was fun laggy for about 2 minutes until I realized that it wasnt a real mmo.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:51 PM

That's the one.  I didn't even think of it as a MMO, though; to me it was a multiplayer FPS that showed a bit of promise but had gamebreakingly bad controls.

Basically, the first time I played it I said "wow, this'll be great once they figure out how to make the controls usable during actual play."  Then I played it again and said "....oh."

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 04:50:01 PM

That was quite a post for a staff member to make in the official game shutdown PR thread: 
http://forums.auran.com/fury/forum/showthread.php?p=82323#post82323
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 05:26:41 PM

Bad controls, poor networking code, bent graphics, bizzare funneling of players, broken matching code, obtuse progression... what's not to like?

if at last you do succeed, never try again
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 05:32:59 PM

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 06:08:35 PM

30 seconds reading that closing thread has just assured to my mind what I suspected after AoC, that any MMO that attempts to market itself in a way which could be called 'mature', 'hardcore', 'extreme' or somesuch is destined to have a remaining playerbase composed entirely of degenerates.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 06:59:19 PM

I love that thread since it appears that if only Auran had listened to <group x>, Fury would have been successful.

Fury failed because it wasn't fun out of the box and wasn't worth paying any kind of sub fee for. Also, having an open alpha where players saw bug after bug after bug isn't good PR.

I really liked some of Fury's ideas - fast combat, no endurance bar, lots of power flexibility (even if the powers where often reskins under a different mana class), the automatic titles you got based on your power spec, etc. But the execution was horrible, especially for new players. Even the tutorial was overly confusing yet under-informing.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 07:32:28 PM

But the execution was horrible, especially for new players. Even the tutorial was overly confusing yet under-informing.
Yup. PvE is a great place to lrn2play... PvP? Not so much. That's one thing Guild Wars got right, much as folks complained. We'll see how things work out in WAR.

What I love about that thread is that it's the game company itself saying they're closing the ENTIRE GAME and it's just now hit six little pages.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 09:04:43 PM

That was quite a post for a staff member to make in the official game shutdown PR thread: 
http://forums.auran.com/fury/forum/showthread.php?p=82323#post82323

First of all ex-staff, I got laid off from Auran last December, they just didn't have enough people to worry about taking away forum titles (and I sent several PMs to the CEO alerting him of this fact, to which no action was taken).  If I wanted to I really could have done a lot worse in the past few months but I decided against it.  So since the forums were coming down I decided to have a bit of fun.  Whatever.

Besides, burning bridges is fine, I really don't intend to go back into game development except as a hobby.  My time on Fury made me see that, at least in a design position, the games industry is a shitty place to work at for most companies and the likelihood of getting a position in one of the decent environments is abysmally small.  I have better things to do then work a whole lot of shitty and insecure jobs (and the bullshit and low pay that goes along with it) to hope one day I get to one of the "elite" companies.

The industry really doesn't matter when it comes to job enjoyment, it's the environment (people around you, tools, etc..) and the specific tasks you have that make a job enjoyable.  I enjoy my current non-game dev position much more then I enjoyed my time at Auran.

Here is a short post that pretty much explains the environment, and no Auran is not a unique snowflake in this issue.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:13:24 PM by KallDrexx »
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 05:14:04 AM

Ok. Now I'm interested. You obviously had some magical idea to make Fury work and be fun. Let's hear it.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 09:29:52 AM

Ok. Now I'm interested. You obviously had some magical idea to make Fury work and be fun. Let's hear it.

Here are some of the things I fought for as a designer for the game:

• Clean up/redo the UI. The game's UI was crap and tried to be artisitic and failed at asthetics as well as functionality.  It had a ton of useless crap (such as the retarded black bar on the bottom, "breadcrust" around the compass, etc..) that when bugged and missing made the game look better (everyone but the leads agreed) but they refused to redo any of the UI.  The lead content designer, lead systems, and Adam all argued with us about the brilliance and great asthetics of the UI and there was no need to change anything.  Guess what the players said about the UI....   
  • Get rid of hit or miss rates.  There is nothing more fustrating then realizing you just wasted your last few attacks because of random chance (especially with the charge system and your consumption ability missing).  If a random variable was wanted (which is another debate) it should have been hit/crit chance instead because then the player at least always feels he was doing stuff.  This was shrugged off as not really important. 
  • Get rid of repair costs, and if you must have repair costs for god's sake do not have 2 different kinds.  Keep in mind, repairing equipment was specced and implemented years before they even started thinking about a business model.  Everytime someone on the team would go up to Adam and ask about reducing the repair types to 1 instead of two, Adam would literally look down and pretend to think about it, then 30 seconds later look up and say "no if we have only one repair cost newbies will get hit hard with a very high repair cost the first time they try to repair."  Whenever someone would ask about taking repair costs totally out of the game (since it was a pointless money sink and added absolutely nothing to the game) he would say no because they needed to take items out of the economy (even though he kept advertising the game as a non-item centric game....)
  • Simplify the character stats.  We had some unneccesary stats "like offense and defense" that were just totally based on arbitrary numbers.  it was like, if you had offense of 1200 you would take that number, combine it by the enemy's defensive number in some complicated calculation and you get some probability of your chance to hit that player.  So even I, someone who worked on the game, woudl get an item with +200 offense and have absolutely no way to grasp if it was worth sacrificing another stat for because it was so arbitrary.  When I brought this up the leads told me that they were making tooltips to explain it, which did fuck all to explain the number since your number only means something when taking the enemy's (unknown) number into account.
  • Get rid of the sanctuaries and put a pure GUI lobby in the game.  Besides the massive art time we could have saved it allows players to get into battles faster, find/talk to people in between games easier, and deal with any vendors/trainers they wanted to without having to spend 20 minutes running around trying to find all the vendors they need.  Not to mention it cuts down on loading times.  When this idea was presented (by me and a bunch of other people on the team) it got rejected due to Adam wanting it to feel more like a virtual world, when in the end all it did was frustrate players and make them waste time not playing the game.  I find it even more funny figuring that Exteel went the GUI lobby route and has lasted a lot longer world wide. 
  • Add more feedback systems to the game so that new players can more easily figure out what is going on.  Our feedback systems in Fury were abysmal which caused new players to come into the game, die without realizing wtf was giong on and quit.  When I brought this up and tried to facilitate discussion about what we could do to improve it I got told that it's fine.  Not surprising, their new player retention was abysmal.

There are a ton of other things, but this is already a wall of text.  I don't claim I had the magical cure for Fury, but I also joined the team 2-3 months after alpha started so I kept all my feedback to items that could be realistically improved upon in the alpha->release timeframe.  The funny thing is, if any of you kep track of fury right near release there was a whole lot of huge changes that happened 2 weeks before release.  Those changes were things me, other designers, the CM, and players suggested over and over and got rejected, only to have them implemented because 2 weeks from release they literally went "oh shit, we aren't going to have any players."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 09:39:07 AM

Good stuff.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 09:53:27 AM

I thought it was an amusing game design, but not MMOish in the least, and not more amusing than an hour a week.

My main point of interface What The Hell were the advanced trainers. So I sit in this sanctuary.. then I have to go into another one in order to train more shit, which involves more zoning, which slows down the gam... goddamnit, whoever thought this was cool didn't do it on a daily freaking basis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Fury shutting down  
Jump to: