Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Player created missions in my CoX? It's more likely than you think! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Player created missions in my CoX? It's more likely than you think!  (Read 8430 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:03 AM

First hint of what will be included in I13 is here.  I'm surprised that the player made missions will be available so soon.  I had a feeling it was going to be included in the rumored paid expansion, but I guess I was wrong.

Over and out.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:17:51 AM

If they are going to put it in that quickly it'll probably be pretty limited.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:27:01 AM

If certain "lulz-based internet groups" get a hold of this it could be pretty win.

I mean the last thing you'd want is people still playing CoX to design more CoX missions, that's just silly.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:37:58 AM

If they are going to put it in that quickly it'll probably be pretty limited.

Seems it's basically a template from the story. You pick a certain type of mob (Circle, for instance) and you get a certain number of place. Can't have more, can't have less, probably can't pack them in too densly. You can design the place -- probably using the base design system -- and place the mobs, and then write up the text.

The real abuse point's goint to be the text. :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:33:22 AM

I was sort of hoping it would have a bit more depth than that.  I'm interested, though.

You still can't make inspirations, can you?  Or hardly any temporary powers, right?  They need to add to the invention system and black market.  I wish the black market was more like WoW's auction house.  That's really the only bit of WoW I miss.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:39:13 AM

I was sort of hoping it would have a bit more depth than that.  I'm interested, though.

You still can't make inspirations, can you?  Or hardly any temporary powers, right?  They need to add to the invention system and black market.  I wish the black market was more like WoW's auction house.  That's really the only bit of WoW I miss.
Well, for a first cut -- using the base building system to design missions and putting in some limits is probably pretty easy. I mean, auto-scaling a mission is already built in -- and loot tables are tied to mobs, so really it's designing the place and picking who you want to be the bad guy.

I suspect if it's not all dick jokes, they can expand it.

I don't really know the limits of the invention system. I know I make bank off of folks too lazy to make their own IO: Damage inventions, though. :)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:53:21 AM

Well, there's already a character bio section on all the characters, and when people try to abuse it with dick jokes they just get petitioned and if a GM determines it's offensive it's erased.  Do it enough times and you're banned (supposedly).  The same kind of policing will likely be in place for mission text.  Go ahead, make lots of dick jokes on your mission text but other people will be reading it and it'll get petitioned.  If a GM agrees, bye bye mission and do it enough times and you'll probably get a time out.

I just hope NCsoft is planning on hiring more GMs.

Over and out.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:32:01 PM

So, uh, along with that wish list survey, marketing leaked an early design for the player mission creator.

More than I expected.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 07:59:43 AM

Early questions about that pic is whether or not it was a mock-up for the survey or if it was something that was actually going to be used.

What I think is a good move (at least, according to the survey) is that the mission creator looks fairly flexible AND was going to offer in-game rewards like xp and inf. A lot of players thought it would be flexibility or in-game rewards, but not both.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:38:21 AM

Issue 13 Official Announcement
Letter to the players from Positron

Highlights:
- The above-mentioned player-created content
- Two new powersets
- "day jobs" i.e. off-line activities for your characters

Positron also announced a couple of upcoming booster packs that will be for sale.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:25:09 AM

- "day jobs" i.e. off-line activities for your characters

Positron also announced a couple of upcoming booster packs that will be for sale.

Yes, please!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:34:48 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the mission editor. Which is not to say that I'll be any good at creating stories; I just like to tinker with things.

I may also build a Captain America clone, just for the fun of it :)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:06:47 PM

I'll play your missions, Hutch, and I'll love them.  Even if I have to pretend!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:58:18 PM

I'll play your missions, Hutch, and I'll love them.  Even if I have to pretend!

Just yell "YES" really loud.  Guys love that. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:20:01 AM

Is there a payout for such a thing, and if so, do the creators get to say what it is?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:28 PM

Is there a payout for such a thing, and if so, do the creators get to say what it is?

I haven't got time to find the post, but the devs have said:

- player missions will drop in-game rewards but they will be reduced until they achieve 'Dev's Choice' status (meaning they've been vetted and passed)

- players will get rewards for creating missions and players will also get rewards for playing player-created missions that are outside the current in-game rewards system (so maybe badges, maybe merits, maybe something else)

- player created missions can have pretty much all the features of dev-created mission, except for cut scenes

- no to customisable maps, but 1000 maps or so to choose from on launch

- customisable bosses and other mobs are possible

- some content might be unlockable for those who create player missions

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Player created missions in my CoX? It's more likely than you think!  
Jump to: