Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Yahtzee. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yahtzee.  (Read 19650 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 23, 2008, 10:09:17 PM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/138-Age-of-Conan

I don't think he played MMORPGs before WoW. I wonder if he'll say Warhammer ripped of WoW also.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:07 PM

He's British, and a gamer, so he'd be at the very least aware of Warhammer.

Gameplay wise, I guess it'll depend a lot of of WAR uses a whole lot of the same conventions and UI styles that WoW does. Even EQ1 has changed itself to look more like WoW. And WoW IS a direct descendant of EQ, one of the three games that are all essentially "Everquest 2".

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:52:12 PM

Yahtzee is funny, but I wouldn't watch his stuff for his vast gaming knowledge. This is par for the course.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:06:19 PM

He's British, and a gamer, so he'd be at the very least aware of Warhammer.

I thought he was an aussie.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:08:23 PM

You could actuallly read the page you linked to.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:55 PM

Why would I do that?

EDIT: OHHHHH, BRITISH BORN AUSTRALIAN BASED WRITER.

So he's based out of Australia. So what you're saying is.... he games and writes from australia. Which is what we care about, that he games and writes from Australia. Or are you saying since he's from England he can't be an Aussie? Because that's Just Not Right.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:36:34 PM by schild »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:39 AM

Schild - the East Coast Jewish-American Gamer that writes about games from Texas. This month.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:55:06 AM

British born Australian based writer

Aussies can't write, so they import us to help them out.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:16:42 AM

'Strue. 200 years of inbreeding between criminals and rabbits and you get Neighbours.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:55 AM

I don't think he played MMORPGs before WoW. I wonder if he'll say Warhammer ripped of WoW also.

He hates MMOGRPGa's.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 08:59:27 AM

'Strue. 200 years of inbreeding between criminals and rabbits and you get Neighbours.

And Nick Cave.

Hold on... what?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:15:18 PM

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 04:47:41 PM

I would have thought Yahtzee's reasons for disliking MMOs would have some traction here.  Grindy exclamation point based Skinner Box - check.  Chock full of nuts - check. 

The theory I subscribe to is that people like MMOs because they're chasing that time when they played an MMO and it was awesome. 
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:02:36 PM

I'm hoping to see his take on the character adjustment sliders to appear in next blockbuster MMO. awesome, for real
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 02:29:37 PM

Quote from: schild

I don't think his point was that WoW was a groundbreaking masterpiece that broke entirely with the history of genre. Just that muh-morr-puh-gers since WoW are all trying to be WoW, and they fail.

He is almost entirely correct.

WoW might not have a single innovative line of code in its install set, but nevertheless, publishers continue to push for new titles to be exactly like it.

Even WAR seems to be making a lot of design choices that bring it closer to WoW than it would have been if not for WoW's money hats. The fact that WoW is just EQ with a facelift misses the point, WAR, AoC, PotBS and others are pulling out of braver designs and copying EQ with a facelift because EQ with a facelift is making sacks of cash.

I didn't hear Yahtzee do the ridiculous year zero thing (that many people even here fall into), he just pointed out the transparent motivation of the publishers of these games.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 04:40:58 PM

You mean to make money? Of course that's what they want to do... The problem is, none of the publishers have any idea why WOW is a success.

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the game actually works... unlike AOC which, at this point, seems to be 6 months away from being in a state that anyone would want to play it. If publishers keep producing games that are in such unfinished states over and over, they are going to continue failing over and over. People say WOW had issues at launch, which it did, but nothing like the problems AOC, Vanguard, and EQ2 had at release. The problems AOC has are just absolutely ridiculous, and unforgivable.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 06:36:36 AM

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the game actually works...

I think that may have a little to do with it, but I also suspect that it has a lot more to do with the fact that WoW was the first MMORPG that rewarded you for doing things that were fun, instead of rewarding you for doing the least fun things in the game.  And I think Blizzard understands the formula for their success, which is why the game is less and less "h4rc0r3" every day.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 06:49:10 AM

*cough* Faction grinding *cough*
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 07:09:55 AM

*cough* Faction grinding *cough*

But the faction grind is easiest done by running 5 mans, which is fun.  Kinda my point.

Originally they did faction grinds in the craziest way possible, go out and fight with 50 other people for 10 spawns and maybe 1 in 20 drop something to boost the faction a little.  In TBC they realized that was stupid and switched it to "run instances with your friends and get faction at the same time".  Gives people a reason to run instances even when they have all the gear AND it rewards you for doing something that is actually a fun part of the game.  To me that's rewarding people for doing something in the game that is fun.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:24 AM

In WoTLK you'll be able to wear the tabbard of a faction to gain faction with that faction while farming a different faction.

Faction.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:48 AM

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the game actually works...

I think that may have a little to do with it, but I also suspect that it has a lot more to do with the fact that WoW was the first MMORPG that rewarded you for doing things that were fun, instead of rewarding you for doing the least fun things in the game.  And I think Blizzard understands the formula for their success, which is why the game is less and less "h4rc0r3" every day.

The explosive growth that caused to hit critical mass and attract players outside the genre was mostly down to excellent marketing imo.

Once they got that growth, they recognised who their market was, and have been aggressively 'dancing with the one what brung them' ever since. Which is more than can be said for SWG/NGE, or DAoC/ToA, or EVE/Ambulation, or PotBS/Last-minute-levels-design.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:09 AM

Once they got that growth, they recognised who their market was, and have been aggressively 'dancing with the one what brung them' ever since. Which is more than can be said for SWG/NGE, or DAoC/ToA, or EVE/Ambulation, or PotBS/Last-minute-levels-design.

In the past developers have looked at the incoming players and said "What the fuck, these newbie assholes are ruining our games!" and then tried to scare them off any way possible.  Blizzard, on the other hand, likes money.

Newbs are not part of The Vision (TM).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 12:16:15 PM

In WoTLK you'll be able to wear the tabbard of a faction to gain faction with that faction while farming a different faction.

Faction.

And we'll do it, because we're OCD about getting our achievements done, because we're badge whores.

And by we, I mean... me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 02:11:53 PM

You can't take my grief title from me, son.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 07:57:06 PM

Plus we love to hear the sound of you complaining about this and that.

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 12:20:52 PM

you should check out his Tabula Rasa review as well, for more of his feelings on mmorpgs.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9-Tabula-Rasa
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 07:58:52 AM

He hates MMOGRPGa's.

Yes, he does. And I do believe his first MMOG was WoW, so I'd say he figured out right quick that they are a vast waste of time and energy best spent making money by making fun of them in online video reviews of games. Smart guy, if somewhat obvious at times.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 01:54:04 PM

Faction.

And we'll do it, because we're OCD about getting our achievements done, because we're badge whores.

And by we, I mean... me.

No, you mean "we," at least in the "And we'll do it," part, because we will all just want to shut you up about the damn achievements already.

Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 06:43:46 AM

I finally listened to this and I agree with everything he said.  Well, everything I understood, anyway, which was that AoC isn't WoW and something about Essex.  I assume I agree with what he said about Essex because I've never heard anyone say anything nice about Essex, and I agree with that.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 06:49:33 AM

cry

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:26 AM

I finally listened to this and I agree with everything he said.  Well, everything I understood, anyway, which was that AoC isn't WoW and something about Essex.  I assume I agree with what he said about Essex because I've never heard anyone say anything nice about Essex, and I agree with that.

*sniff* My old phone exchange was Essex-53503.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 05:49:07 AM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher

Zero Punctuation:
The box promises 80 hours of gameplay, and I believe it, because the game draws everything out mercilessly. A large percentage of those 80 hours will be spent making dull conversation, running from one side of the map to the other, at the behest of fat NPC jerks, or just wondering what the chuffing hell you're supposed to be doing next. When you do finally get into some combat, it's almost on sufferance. You fight enemies by clicking on them once, and then if you're really advanced, clicking on them again. As I progressed through the starting village, a set of red flags came up that brought me to a sinister realization. One-click combat? Endless trudging from place to place? Quests involving killing X amount of monster Y for lazy stationary cockhead Z? This is a MUMORPUGER! A single-player MUMORPUGER, with no Alliance dipshits teabagging your corpse, but a MUMORPUGER nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:31:13 AM by Sunbury »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 05:57:20 AM

It's spelled "MUMORPUGER" during the clip.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:01:39 AM by bhodi »
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 09:37:35 PM

justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 10:10:28 PM

Oh, for fuck's sakes.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Yahtzee.  
Jump to: