Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265572 times)
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:11 AM

Japanese high-level MMA was already dead, I'm just sad it dragged K-1 down with it.

Having the UFC as the single remaining high level promotion in the world is certainly major news but overall I hope it will benefit the sport. It's better than the fractured mess that is boxing.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:51 AM

Yeah, I guess I'm okay with it for now...though lack of competition for any business is usually not a good thing.  Oh well.  Here's hoping that it one day means we can see certain Strikeforce fighters fighting in the UFC (even if Dana says they aren't doing that).

Meanwhile, I have a complete boner for this Saturday.  Go Bones!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: March 15, 2011, 12:55:46 AM

IIRC the idea was to keep PRIDE a separate franchise from the UFC too; we all saw how long that lasted.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #528 on: March 15, 2011, 07:08:00 AM

Strikeforce will likely exist as long as their TV contracts do.

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: March 15, 2011, 03:33:33 PM

IIRC the idea was to keep PRIDE a separate franchise from the UFC too; we all saw how long that lasted.

WEC lasted 4 years after the Zuffa purchase.

Most of the behind the scenes gossip on PRIDE indicate that Zuffa thought they were buying a potential going concern, and finding out that it was screwed top to bottom.  PRIDE management and the Yakuza scandals pretty much salted the earth as far as keeping that org in business.  Hell, the fallout from the PRIDE scandals looks to be what is killing the remaining portions of Japanese MMA/Kickbocking...  declining gates, tv deals falling through, etc.

Strikeforce will likely exist as long as their TV contracts do.

Yes.  The Showtime contract extends to the end of 2011, so Strikeforce is on the hook for putting on shows to that date.  There is a pile of interesting speculation, though... 

Some is hinting that Zuffa is maneuvering to be in a position as a replacement if the NFL lockout goes through.  Between UFC (with the WEC talent) and SF, they could potentially move into Network sports in a weekly slot.

Speculative theory two is that, with the UFC pushing a global expansion policy, SF will be used to put on shows for the North American market and act as a feeder league.

Speculative theory three is that Zuffa is grabbing as much film library as they can, en route to establishing a 24 hour MMA channel.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: March 15, 2011, 03:41:23 PM

UFC 128 this weekend:

Main card:
    * Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Maurício Rua (c) vs. Jon Jones
    * Bantamweight bout: Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
    * Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
    * Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller
    * Heavyweight bout: Mirko Filipović vs. Brendan Schaub

Preliminary card (TV Card):
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Luiz Cane vs. United States Eliot Marshall
    * Lightweight bout:  Edson Barboza vs.  Anthony Njokuani

Preliminary card (Facebook)
    * Welterweight bout: Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle
    * Lightweight bout: Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau

Preliminary card
    * Bantamweight bout: Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
    * Featherweight bout: Erik Koch vs. Raphael Assunçã
    * Catchweight (195 lb) bout: Nick Catone vs. Costantinos Phillipou

Jon Jones and Shogun?  Y-E-S. 

Jim Miller, Faber, and Marquardt are all intriguing fighters though these bouts are suffering from pull outs due to injury.

Crocop vs Schaub should be a decent fight.  Schaub will stand and trade with Crocop, so it shouldn't be a hugfest like the Mir fight.

The Facebook card is actually really solid as well.  Almeida and Pyle is a great fight, and Pellegrino vs Tibeu should be interesting.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: March 16, 2011, 09:26:06 PM

Speculative theory two is that, with the UFC pushing a global expansion policy, SF will be used to put on shows for the North American market and act as a feeder league.
This is what I thought they were doing with WEC; making it sort of a minor league for the UFC.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: March 19, 2011, 09:43:04 PM

So Bones basically just killed Shogun.  It was not close.  As awesome as Shogun is and has been, he didn't even belong in the ring with Jon Jones.  Amazing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: March 19, 2011, 10:34:12 PM

So Bones basically just killed Shogun.  It was not close.  As awesome as Shogun is and has been, he didn't even belong in the ring with Jon Jones.  Amazing.

Seriously.  He made Shogun look like an undercard scrub.  He made Shogun tap to strikes!  Who, exactly, will want any part of Jones going forward?

Jones' wrestling, plus amazing reach, decent-to-good striking, and the athleticism/cardio?  I don't see how anyone at LHW has a shot.  Online people are already calling for a match with Anderson Silva.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: March 20, 2011, 10:31:10 AM

End of the fight:

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: March 20, 2011, 02:21:51 PM

I daresay Anderson would get a shellacking.  Shogun couldn't even tickle the guy, and he had thirteen minutes to do so.  Has anyone even been able to punch this guy with even a hint of authority?

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: March 20, 2011, 02:28:13 PM

I daresay Anderson would get a shellacking.  Shogun couldn't even tickle the guy, and he had thirteen minutes to do so.  Has anyone even been able to punch this guy with even a hint of authority?

Not really.  I think Bader and O'Brien both managed to clip him once or twice.

Jones reach is way out of hand.  I wouldn't bet against Anderson in straight stand up, but I think Jones would just take Silva down at will and have his way with him.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #537 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:34 PM

Yeah prior to this fight I liked Anderson but judging from how he manhandled Shogun I feel like the strength difference would be too much if Jones just went for takedowns and g&p. Its still though pretty much a fight that if they are going to make they better make now and it costs Anderson very little since he would be going up a weight class.

Rashad v Jones could end up being a good fight but I doubt it. Sugar is undersized to begin with and Jones is very big so even though he would have the speed to try to box I just don't see it. Beyond Evans though there is fucking nobody unless Machida decides to find himself and start looking like he did back when no one could hit him.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: March 21, 2011, 04:25:49 AM

I'd love to see Machida fight Jones. But first Machida has to start winning again.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: March 21, 2011, 08:58:38 AM

Also amusing at the event:

Ice-T was sitting right behind the ref checkpoint with his wife, Coco.  When Jones was at the ref, his wife made him snap a picture of her standing in front of Jones.

Jim Miller dropped a Dan Gable quote when talking to Joe. 

Crocop came out to "The Ecstasy of Gold" (you're familiar with it if you've ever watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly;  or been to a Metallica concert), rather than his usual "Wild Boys".  If this is his last fight (Dana has said he's done in the UFC as a fighter), it was very appropriate.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: March 24, 2011, 04:21:36 PM

UFC Fight Night this Saturday on Spike:

Main Card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Brazil Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. United States Phil Davis
    * Welterweight bout: England Dan Hardy vs. United States Anthony Johnson
    * Welterweight bout: United States Amir Sadollah vs. United States DaMarques Johnson
    * Featherweight bout: United States Leonard Garcia vs. South Korea Chan Sung Jung

Preliminary Card (Facebook)

* Featherweight bout: United States Alex Caceres vs. United States Mackens Semerzier
    * Heavyweight bout: United States Jon Madsen vs. United States Mike Russow
    * Welterweight bout: England John Hathaway vs. United States Kris McCray
    * Bantamweight bout: United States Michael McDonald vs. United States Edwin Figueroa
    * Heavyweight bout: United States Sean McCorkle vs. United States Christian Morecraft

This is an absurd free card.

- Lil Nog vs Davis:  Davis is another big prospect at LHW who has been manhandling people.  A former Div I National Champion wrestler, he has been developing an outstanding submission game.  Lil Nog is Lil Nog, but he seems to have had a rough time with good wrestlers.  A good showing here and Davis could put himself a win or two away from a title shot.

- Dan Hardy vs Anthony Johnson: This should be great.  Johnson was looking like a world-beater until the Koscheck loss.  Hardy is a mouthy Brit with decent stand-up coming off a KO loss to Condit.

- Amir vs Demarques Johnson:  Amir is concentrated Everyman, and a likable guy.  Demarques is a late replacement, and has been thoroughly mediocre.  Has potential, though Demarques might dry hump his way to a win.

- Garcia vs Korean Zombie II:  The first bout was an epic brawl.  We can hope this will be another.

It looks like some great fights on the Facebook prelims as well.
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:40 AM

Not a Johnson fan at all. If you can't make weight on a consistant basis then you should fight in a higher weight class, period.

And don't get me started on Leonard Garcia. He's won so many horrible decisions by winging punches that never connect that the only thing that stops me from calling mma judges corrupt is that it's much easier to think of them as merely incompetent. He is everything that is wrong with mma striking and everything that is wrong with mma judging combined into one horrible little package.

Still, Davis vs Nogeuira is worth watching. I'll try to pretend the rest of the card doesn't exist.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: April 30, 2011, 05:53:24 PM

UFC 129!

Really like this card, should be good.

And watching Nate Diaz get suplexed three times on the prelims was AWESOME.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: May 01, 2011, 08:37:23 AM

UFC 129!

Really like this card, should be good.

And watching Nate Diaz get suplexed three times on the prelims was AWESOME.

The prelims were amazing, and we got to watch almost all of them.

- Garza ("the scarecrow") with a flying triangle.
- Makdessi one-shots Watson with a Spinning Back Fist.
- Jason Macdonald has a sweet triangle of Jensen.
- Menjivar performs a nose job on Valencia
- Rory Macdonald ragdolled Nate Diaz.  It looked like pro wrestling, and there is nothing sweeter than seeing a Diaz get abused. 

The main card was soured by the GSP-Shields affair, though if you take that fight out it would have been a decent slate of fights.
- Ben Henderson and Bocek was a decent fight.  Henderson was dominant, but Bocek had moments where he nearly turned the tide with his crazy ground game.
- Machida deployed a Crane Kick, Karate Kid style?  Wow.
- Vladdy KO'd Bilz.

The Aldo/Hominick fight was pretty solid, though less so if you don't know about Aldo.  In every other fight, Aldo has looked like an unstoppable martial arts killing machine.  He has literally run through people that were supposed to be top flight FWs.  It turns out that Hominick is a Terminator sent back from the future whose programming won't let him quit.

That hematoma was....  disturbing.  Despite giving birth through his forehead, and having one eye a bloody shut mess, Hominick came on hard in round 5 and looked like he nearly had a gassed Aldo beat.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #544 on: May 01, 2011, 10:09:51 AM

Not to take anything away from Hominick who survived a barrage of leg kicks that would have made anyone else look for an excuse to give up but it really did seem like something was wrong with Aldo in that fight.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:17 PM

Not to take anything away from Hominick who survived a barrage of leg kicks that would have made anyone else look for an excuse to give up but it really did seem like something was wrong with Aldo in that fight.

Aldo's conditioning sucked.  He's had a bit of a layoff, and he's recovering from surgery.  

Also, Aldo usually dominates quickly.  The Faber fight is the only long fight of his I can remember, and Aldo definitely slowed way down the last rounds that fight as well considering he couldn't put away a Faber who was dragging a ruined piece of meat that used to be his lead leg.

I don't think that Aldo (even healthy) has the conditioning we've been led to believe.  I think he's dependent on winning or hurting his opponent early... he's a sprinter, not a long-distance runner.  That isn't saying much, since you need to be world-class on your feet just to make it to round two.

Edit:

Have some Crane Kick!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:32:13 PM by Johny Cee »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: May 03, 2011, 07:24:02 AM

If do right no can defense!  Awesome.  in some of the other replays I've seen, you can actually see one of Randy's teeth flying out of his mouth.

The whole card, except for the main event, was amazing.  The only other remotely boring fight on the card was Vladdy and Brilz, and even that ended with a R1 KO.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: May 03, 2011, 02:05:22 PM

If do right no can defense!  Awesome.  in some of the other replays I've seen, you can actually see one of Randy's teeth flying out of his mouth.

The whole card, except for the main event, was amazing.  The only other remotely boring fight on the card was Vladdy and Brilz, and even that ended with a R1 KO.

Ummm...  Vladdy/Brilz lasted about 20 seconds, and 10 seconds of that was Vladdy swarming on Brilz.  Or are you being funny?

There are now gifs floating around showing that GSP's eye damage is the result of a Shield's poke, which puts a different spin on that fight.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:16 AM

That's what Greg Jackson had said in a post-fight interview on sherdog as well, so there's probably some truth there.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:22 AM

Ummm...  Vladdy/Brilz lasted about 20 seconds, and 10 seconds of that was Vladdy swarming on Brilz.  Or are you being funny?

There are now gifs floating around showing that GSP's eye damage is the result of a Shield's poke, which puts a different spin on that fight.

Not being funny...was just using it as an example of how good the card was.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: May 04, 2011, 09:10:53 AM

Not being funny...was just using it as an example of how good the card was.

Heh, okay.  It was a great card. 

There are reports that Aldo was pretty sick before the Hominick fight, so maybe his reduced cardio can be laid to that.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: May 04, 2011, 04:25:05 PM

UFC 130 on May 28th looks like another awesome card:

Main Card:
    * Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard
    * Light Heavyweight bout:  Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Hamill
    * Heavyweight bout: Mir vs. Roy Nelson
    * Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne
    * Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Jorge Santiago

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

* Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story
    * Bantamweight bout:  Miguel Torres vs.  Demetrious Johnson

Preliminary card

* Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Tim Boetsch
    * Lightweight bout: Cody McKenzie vs. Bart Palaszewski
    * Bantamweight bout: Renan Barão vs. Cole Escovedo

- Maynard & Edgar should be interesting.  Last fight was pretty solid, with Edgar coming back from the grave after getting knocked all over the cage in round 1.
- Rampage & Hamill should be good.  Both guys have pretty heavy hands, are wrestlers that ignore their wrestling, and have kind of shitty defense...  Someone is going night-night.  Hamill is a guy that creams sub-top ten guys, but usually gets killed by top ten guys.  Who the fuck knows what Rampage's deal is now.
- Mir & Nelson is actually a decent fight.  Mir is coming off the snoozer with CroCop, Nelson is coming off getting pounded for three rounds by JDS.  I'd imagine Mir takes this, but Nelson is surprisingly durable.
- Struve is almost always in interesting fights.  Browne looked "meh" against Kongo, but he is undefeated.

Stann vs Santiago is probably the big fight on this card.  Stann has looked pretty good at MW, including KOing Chris Leben....  KOing Leben is so unlikely that it must unlock some sort of secret level or cheat code.  Santiago, who went 1-2 in his last stint in the UFC, has been wrecking people in Japan and is a legit top ten fighter.  I'd think the winner here is on the short list as a potential MW challenger.

Alves vs Story should actually be a great fight too.  Story is a solid up-and-comer at WW, Alves is a perpetually top 3 guy in the division.
Torres vs Mighty Mouse could be a hell of a lot of fun, too.  Torres was one of the most exciting fighters to watch, before dropping a couple fights in a row and then becoming more conservative. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #552 on: May 05, 2011, 10:52:23 AM

That's not a good card. There is a decent chance that the two Spike undercard fights will make for more interesting viewing than the five main card fights. Edgar v Maynard III could save it but somehow I doubt it will. I suspect Maynard wins either by KO in 1 or 2 or by very boring cautious decision in five.

The rest of the fights are huge who gives a fuck fights, I'm thrilled that they are getting them all out of the way on one card because typically they are the type of fights that go one per card because they feature a household name so they must be worthy of top billing. Except the Struve fight, which is the type of "OMG heavyweights!" fight that also wastes a slot on good cards.

Stann vs Santiago is probably the big fight on this card.  Stann has looked pretty good at MW, including KOing Chris Leben....  KOing Leben is so unlikely that it must unlock some sort of secret level or cheat code.  Santiago, who went 1-2 in his last stint in the UFC, has been wrecking people in Japan and is a legit top ten fighter.  I'd think the winner here is on the short list as a potential MW challenger.

Alves vs Story should actually be a great fight too.  Story is a solid up-and-comer at WW, Alves is a perpetually top 3 guy in the division.
Torres vs Mighty Mouse could be a hell of a lot of fun, too.  Torres was one of the most exciting fighters to watch, before dropping a couple fights in a row and then becoming more conservative.

Stann isn't anywhere near a title, I don't even think Silva's people would agree to that fight. In 2009 he lost to Soszynski and in 2010 he was manhandled by Phil Davis who despite his hype is no Jon Jones. I think if anything this is a tune up fight that they want Santiago to win and then they would give him a title eliminator maybe a chance for revenge against Belcher or something like that. I must admit I haven't seen Santiago's fights so I'm in the dark about how good he is or isn't but Sherdog ranks him under Maia & Marquardt on their rankings so I'll be surprised if he lights my world on fire.

Agree on the other fights, the Spike undercard portion are both potentially important fights for the future title pictures in those divisions.

-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: May 10, 2011, 05:00:01 AM

Edgar vs Maynard is off.  Both injured in training.  Oh well...I could never really get into either of these guys, for some reason.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: June 13, 2011, 12:39:15 AM

UFC 131 was this week; JDS vs. Carwin was a good fight. Kenny Florian looked good at 145 too.

UFC 132 has a pretty decent card lined up. Urijah v Cruz is a good match, since Faber is Cruz's only loss. Bader should beat the piss out of Titio, and Wanderlei v Leben ought to be a good striking battle.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: October 09, 2011, 08:09:15 AM

If you didn't watch UFC 136 last night, you should go watch it now.
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:59 PM

The Wiman-Danzig battle on vs last week was pretty damn good to.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: October 09, 2011, 10:29:38 PM

Agreed, freaking amazing card.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:08 AM

Agreed, freaking amazing card.

Link to Sonnen's post-fight challenge.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: November 01, 2011, 02:40:42 PM

So, the Cain vs Dos Santos UFC on Fox event is coming up on the 12th.  It's slated for 2 hours and only the Title Fight is guaranteed to broadcast, so depending on results expect a couple of the undercard fights to be shown after the Main Event.  Some good fights on the undercard, including Bendo vs Clay Guida (LW title eliminator, both guys put on high paced and interesting fights).

This is going to be really interesting for the future of MMA.  Fox has thrown a good amount of promotion and backing behind the event, promoing the hell out of it on their Football broadcasts and running a promotional show last weekend.  This is really the tipping point:  with a good fight and good numbers, it signals MMA's emergence as a mainstream sport and will likely move the UFC from a PPV model to a broadcast model like most other pro sports.

Jon Anik (host of MMA Live right now) has been signed to host the live fights for the next season of TUF.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: