Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265601 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: December 17, 2010, 07:34:11 AM

Holy shit, that's awesome!  It looks like he kicked off the side of the cage, too, which actually adds to the awesome.  Who is that?

He did kick off/run off the side of the cage to land the kick, in the closing minute of the 5th round of a title fight. If you can, try to find a better clip of the kick. 

Pettis will fight the winner of Edgar/Maynard to unite the UFC and WEC belts some time this spring.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: December 17, 2010, 09:13:48 AM

Pettis is apparently famous for crazy kicks:

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: January 03, 2011, 07:17:39 PM

Edgars vs Maynard was a terrific fight.  A must watch for anyone who likes Frankie.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: January 04, 2011, 05:03:38 AM

Last UFC was a great event.

Chael Sonnen has plead guilty to money laundering.   awesome, for real
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: January 04, 2011, 05:16:38 AM

The fuck?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: February 03, 2011, 09:31:06 AM

UFC 126 this weekend, and boy is it a doozy:

Main Card:
- MW Championship:  Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort
- LHW: Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin
- LHW: Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader
- Welterweight bout: Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
- Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos

Preliminary card (Spike TV)
- Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Paul Kelly
- Featherweight bout: Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa

Preliminary card (Facebook Stream)
- Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs.  Demetrious Johnson

Silva vs Vitor should be a great fight.  Vitor has been looking like he's back in form the last few years with quick KOs over Lindland, Terry Martin and Rich Franklin.  Anderson can't screw around on Vitor or else he'll go to sleep.

Forrest vs Rich should also be a great fight.  Both guys are very active fan favorites.  Should be a fun and competitive three round fight.

Jones vs Bader is to determine who will be the Next Big Thing at LHW.  Jones is a monster, and Bader has been accruing good wins.

Ellenburger is a WW prospect, but his opponent is a no name.

Miguel Torress was the 135 king for a couple of years before dropping a few fights in a row.  He always has high energy and fun fights.  Should be great fun.

Spike prelims:
Cerrone was a LW Title contender in the WEC, but dropped a couple to Varner (which he revenged) and Ben Henderson.  He brings it.  Kelly is a hot and cold Brit who always brings it.

Omigawa is a respected FW on a good run of wins.  Mendes is undefeated and on a good win streak from the WEC.  The winner is probably up for a FW title shot this year.

Facebook prelim:
The debut of "Kid" Yamamoto in the UFC.  He's dropped a couple recently, but he was considered the best 135lber in the world in the mid 2000s. 

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: February 03, 2011, 09:43:17 AM

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva is up for next Saturday and marks the beginning of SFs HW Grand Prix.

Main bracket fights:
Fedor vs. Bigfoot Silva -- Should be a good fight.  Silva has looked decent crushing cans, LHWs, and Arlovski.  Fedor's first since last April when he lost to Werdum.
Arlovski vs. Kharitoniv -- Battle of the broken down Russians? 

Reserve fights:
The only guys I recognize here are Del Rosario (a top prospect at HW who hasn't been tested) and Griggs (who was a can before beating Lashley last year).

There are some big question marks around the Grand Prix.  Great idea, but....
1. SF HWs are known for not fighting very often.  Fedor has fought twice in two years, Overeem twice in 3 or 4, etc.
2. Barnett is in it.  He's been busted for steroids THREE times, and he still hasn't worked out his problems with the Cali Athletic Commission.  Any fights he is in will have to be in states/countries that will not respect Cali's banning him from the sport.
3. Injuries.  This GP could get majorly fucked up pretty quickly if they have a couple of injuries, and that's a borderline "will get fucked up" since most of the fighters have been on the shelf for an extended period of time due to injury (Overeem, Werdum, Rogers).
4. Fedor issues.  His management has already been making noises about Overeem and steroids, and that they will insist on Olympic style drug testing on Overeem.  Which is funny, considering Overeem has never been busted for roids and Barnett has been busted THREE TIMES.  Also, the conventional wisdom is that if he wins his first match or two his management is going to go into renegotiations about his contract.

The next round of the GP is April, with Overeem vs Werdum and Barnett vs. Rogers.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:23 AM

I'm REALLY looking forward to UFC card this weekend.  Mostly because of Bones, I'll admit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: February 03, 2011, 03:07:52 PM

I'm REALLY looking forward to UFC card this weekend.  Mostly because of Bones, I'll admit.

You should be looking forward to the whole card, because it is THAT good. 

Forrest and Rich has the potential to be fight of the year, just because their styles match up so well.  Ellenburger and Torres both put on shows each time they go out.  Anderson and Vitor is a dream fight.

Actually, the Bones fight has the most potential to be a dud.  If Bader wins, it will be by using his superior wrestling pedigree to grind out a decision.  (Yes, Jones was a NYS HS champ and Junior College champ in wrestling, but Bader was a legit Div I All-American.  That is a sizable and very real pedigree gap.)
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:34 AM

Best UFC card on paper in a long time.

I'm not sold on Franklin vs Griffin though. Franklin has been taking more beatings than he ought to and I'm hoping he'll retire before he hits the Chuck Liddell stage of his career and Griffin was just plain broken by Anderson Silva and I have a hard time seeing him bounce back from that.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: February 04, 2011, 05:17:55 AM

Forrest and Rich has the potential to be fight of the year, just because their styles match up so well.  Ellenburger and Torres both put on shows each time they go out.  Anderson and Vitor is a dream fight.

Actually, the Bones fight has the most potential to be a dud.  If Bader wins, it will be by using his superior wrestling pedigree to grind out a decision.  (Yes, Jones was a NYS HS champ and Junior College champ in wrestling, but Bader was a legit Div I All-American.  That is a sizable and very real pedigree gap.)

I am looking forward to the whole card.  Agreed on the Forrest and Franklin matchup...I think their styles go well together.  I take your point on Bader with the wrestling edge, but I'm really hoping to see Jones massacre him - more becuase I have a man-crush on Jones than for any dislike for Bader.

From top to bottom, a great card.  Which probably means the whole thing will be a stinking dud.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: February 04, 2011, 05:36:01 AM

I am looking forward to the whole card.  Agreed on the Forrest and Franklin matchup...I think their styles go well together.  I take your point on Bader with the wrestling edge, but I'm really hoping to see Jones massacre him - more becuase I have a man-crush on Jones than for any dislike for Bader.

From top to bottom, a great card.  Which probably means the whole thing will be a stinking dud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Jones.  He's an Upstate New Yorker as well as being an exciting as hell fighter. 

Style-wise, I think the Bader/Jones fight has the highest chance of being a dud since Bader's major out is to out-wrestle Jones and pull out a lay and pray victory.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:57 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Jones.  He's an Upstate New Yorker as well as being an exciting as hell fighter. 

Style-wise, I think the Bader/Jones fight has the highest chance of being a dud since Bader's major out is to out-wrestle Jones and pull out a lay and pray victory.

I guess we'll see what kind of takedown defense Jones really has, then.  I'm holding out hope that he'll be able to fend it off and then kill a bitch with his elbows.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: February 05, 2011, 08:26:16 PM

OMG Jones when through him like it was nothing.  Not even competitive.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32:15 PM

OMG Jones when through him like it was nothing.  Not even competitive.

Jones is the real deal, and he's 23.  Bader is a giant LHW, and Jones literally dwarfed him.

We get to see Jones again next month!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: February 06, 2011, 06:55:16 AM

Anderson Silva reminds me of why I love watching him fight as he wins by front kick knock-out. That shit just doesn't happen outside movies.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:09 AM

Anderson Silva reminds me of why I love watching him fight as he wins by front kick knock-out. That shit just doesn't happen outside movies.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43:23 PM

First win of Silva's in a while that hasn't bored me to tears. Good card all around.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: February 06, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

First win of Silva's in a while that hasn't bored me to tears. Good card all around.

Helps that it lasted 10seconds.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #509 on: February 06, 2011, 08:28:30 PM

Helps that it lasted 10seconds.

It was actually a half a round of them circling each other, during which my friends and I were afraid it was going to be one of those fights.  Then the kick came.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: February 07, 2011, 05:20:39 AM

The kick was awesome.  You could almost hear Steven Segal over in his corner yelling "Anderson-san!  If do right, no can defense!"

Although I will certainly watch it, I'm not really looking forward to a Silva vs GSP fight.  If all things were equal, I'd give Georges at least an even chance.  Problem is, things are not equal.  Silva is waaaaay bigger than GSP.  I really don't want to see Georges get knocked out, but I'm afraid that's what will happen.

Prediction:  Jon Jones is going to be the next LHW champion.  I think he is going to get Rua down on the ground and beat the life out of him.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #511 on: February 09, 2011, 12:39:58 PM

People are still crying about Anderson Silva. The guy is the best fighter any of us will probably ever see in mma. Period. Hands down.

His fights are boring because his opponents are afraid of him and he had no interest in trying to force fight of the night by getting into sloppy wars like so many fighters. GSP's fights are boring because he makes sure he wins first. Anderson makes sure he wins as well and has the additional problem that literally nobody wants to throw a punch against him anymore. Vitor danced around for 2 minutes and did nothing. He was not going to strike until Anderson dropped his hands completely and started daring him by moving his head in and out of range. Literally the gameplan was, do nothing and hope Anderson puts himself into danger and we can get lucky.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonnen rematch to put that to bed, his back was clearly hurt, he's never had trouble sprawling out of takedowns except in that fight and Sonnen is the only person who didn't fight afraid against Anderson.

There is literally nobody else at 185 even in the conversation for a potential interesting fight. Okami versus Silva would be a fucking slaughter, incredibly anti-climactic, a waste of one of the less than 10 fights left in Silva's career and there would be no pre-fight hype generated by either fighter.

The next most interesting fight behind Sonnen within the division is probably Belcher and the Vegas odds in that fight would be something like (-5000) for Silva.

As much as I like Rua I hope Jones wins because Anderson will move up to take that belt which he will not do versus Rua. A fight against GSP isn't even something Silva's camp wants because they know that he should win due to size and nobody will give him any credit when he does win. Although it would be satisfying on some level to watch him KTFO Georges so I could laugh at the people who think that is a fair fight.

Bottom line is Silva would be a less than +150 odds against most of Sherdog's top 10 at 205 lbs. He is not cutting insane weight to make 185. Nobody else can say anything close to that, Penn in his prime and not a lazy Hawaiian headcase could have said that.

I'd rate Silva even or favorite against the following top 205'ers:
-Rashad (#2)
-Rampage (#3)
-Machida (#4)
-Griffin (#6)
-Bader (#7)
-Little Nog (#8)
-King Mo (#10)

Some of those Silva would be a big favorite against. I left Jones off the list because honestly who knows how good how fast that kid will get. The other top10 guy missing is Shogun, I think Rua has enough size, skill and experience to handle Anderson. He fights very controlled, smart and tough and would probably implement a kick based attack.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:48:27 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: February 10, 2011, 05:22:08 AM

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva is up for next Saturday and marks the beginning of SFs HW Grand Prix.

Main bracket fights:
Fedor vs. Bigfoot Silva -- Should be a good fight.  Silva has looked decent crushing cans, LHWs, and Arlovski.  Fedor's first since last April when he lost to Werdum.
Arlovski vs. Kharitoniv -- Battle of the broken down Russians? 

Reserve fights:
The only guys I recognize here are Del Rosario (a top prospect at HW who hasn't been tested) and Griggs (who was a can before beating Lashley last year).

There are some big question marks around the Grand Prix.  Great idea, but....
1. SF HWs are known for not fighting very often.  Fedor has fought twice in two years, Overeem twice in 3 or 4, etc.
2. Barnett is in it.  He's been busted for steroids THREE times, and he still hasn't worked out his problems with the Cali Athletic Commission.  Any fights he is in will have to be in states/countries that will not respect Cali's banning him from the sport.
3. Injuries.  This GP could get majorly fucked up pretty quickly if they have a couple of injuries, and that's a borderline "will get fucked up" since most of the fighters have been on the shelf for an extended period of time due to injury (Overeem, Werdum, Rogers).
4. Fedor issues.  His management has already been making noises about Overeem and steroids, and that they will insist on Olympic style drug testing on Overeem.  Which is funny, considering Overeem has never been busted for roids and Barnett has been busted THREE TIMES.  Also, the conventional wisdom is that if he wins his first match or two his management is going to go into renegotiations about his contract.

The next round of the GP is April, with Overeem vs Werdum and Barnett vs. Rogers.

This fight takes place on Saturday on Showtime.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: February 13, 2011, 06:58:19 AM

Well.  Fedor got his ass kicked, and the internet exploded.
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: February 13, 2011, 07:07:57 PM

The only thing that exploded was Dana White's ego, trying to make it sound like his near-desperate attempts to sign Fedor two years ago wasn't a massive failure on his part. The heavyweight division is the thinnest in the UFC and with Fedor chosing to sign for Strikeforce the status of the UFC heavyweights is going to be cast in doubt for years as there was never a passing of the torch from the best heavyweight fighter in the history of the sport.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: February 14, 2011, 09:11:17 AM

The only thing that exploded was Dana White's ego, trying to make it sound like his near-desperate attempts to sign Fedor two years ago wasn't a massive failure on his part. The heavyweight division is the thinnest in the UFC and with Fedor chosing to sign for Strikeforce the status of the UFC heavyweights is going to be cast in doubt for years as there was never a passing of the torch from the best heavyweight fighter in the history of the sport.

Eh?

1.  If Dana wanted Fedor, Fedor would be in the UFC.  The UFC and M-1 Global (Fedor's management) could not come to terms, so the UFC let him walk.  From the rumored contract proposals that was a good decision.  SF had to agree to allow M-1 co-promotion and revenue sharing to get Fedor and there is no way in hell the UFC was going to go for that.

Dana is smug because not signing Fedor is looking like a better and better decision every day.

2.  The HW division is thin across the sport, and always has been.  Most of the earlier HW fighters have been exposed in the last couple of years, both UFC and Pride.  One of the reasons we keep hearing about "the new breed" of HW fighter is that, for the first time, payouts are getting good enough to steal away talented large athletes from established pro sports.

I think in five or ten years, the whole past history of the HW division is going to get relegated to a pre-modern asterisk. 

3.  There was no torch passing in SF.  Fedor dropped losses to borderline top 10 fighters in Werdum (2-2 UFC, significantly he was KO'd by JDS) and Bigfoot Silva (only other "name" win is Arlovski, a few months ago he nearly lost to Mike Kyle, a mediocre LHW).  Neither guy was considered top of the pack before they beat Fedor, and I would have a very difficult time ranking them above either Overeem or Barnett (if he doesn't fail a steroid test for the fourth time) in SF. 

SF really screwed the pooch by not immediately matching Fedor up with Overeem.

Mostly, Fedor's last two losses has Dana going crazy because it lets him bill either Anderson Silva or GSP as the greatest fighter of all time.  Rogan already dropped that comment by calling Anderson "the best there ever was" after he KO'd Belfort, and you can expect the UFC marketing to play that up big time from now on.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:03 AM

I think SF's intent was for Fedor and Overeem to meet at the end of this Grand Prix, rather than have the "main event" in the quarter finals.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:08 PM

I think SF's intent was for Fedor and Overeem to meet at the end of this Grand Prix, rather than have the "main event" in the quarter finals.

The word is that the next stage of the Grand Prix, which was supposed to be the remaining quarterfinals matches between Overeem/Werdum and Barnett/Rogers in April at an "unspecified location", has been put on hold.  SF was trying to hold the event in Japan since Barnett has US licensing issues he hasn't resolved since killing Affliction by failing a urine test, but that fell through.  Overeem is widely rumored to have steroid issues as well, though he has never failed a test.

Barnett could bring down a second major MMA organization!

UFC 127 from Australia this weekend:
Penn vs Fitch -- No. 1 contenders match at WW.

Bisping vs Rivera -- Lot of heat here.  Rivera has been making insulting youtube videos about Bisping and seems to have really worked Micheal up.

Snuffaluffagus vs Siver --  Snuffaluffagus is awesome, but this fight is a big step down for him.  Everyone else was tied up and it was the only way he could get on the Aussie card.  George always has great fights, though, so will probably be fun.  His beatdown of Joe Stevenson last Aussie card was a great three round shellacking.

CHRIS LYTLE vs Some_Guy -- Lytle was supposed to fight Condit for a Title eliminator, but Condit pulled out.  Lytle vs Condit would have been an epic fight... but Lytle will put on a show here.  I think he's tied for most "of the Night" bonuses.

The only other interesting fighter on the card is Gustaffson, who is supposed to be a legit Swedish prospect.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #518 on: February 23, 2011, 04:23:06 PM

Worst card in recent memory. Not surprising considering its outside the US but still this one is just utter shit.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:27 PM

Worst card in recent memory. Not surprising considering its outside the US but still this one is just utter shit.

As far as relevance goes, yah it isn't great.  As for fights?  I actually think there is a ton of potential.  Snuffaluffagus and Lytle always put on a show.  I think Rivera/Bisping could be a surprisingly fun fight.  Alot hinges on Fitch/Penn being a fun fight.  Penn can only win in dramatic fashion, but Fitch will try his hardest to make that fight unexciting.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: February 24, 2011, 05:05:41 AM

Yeah, I think you're going to see 15 minutes of ole' Fitch doing some lay-and-pray.  BJ is one of my favorites, but I think I'm going to skip this one.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: February 24, 2011, 06:03:43 AM

I was really, really, really looking forward to the Lytle vs. Condit fight.  That has fight of the year written all over it.  Hopefully they can try it again when Condit gets healthy.
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:00 AM

Seeing Mark Hunt KO Chris Tuchscherer and just walk away made this card memorable and brought on a bit of PRIDE nostalgia. Other than that it was a succession of fights I had very little interest in. Bisping managed to prove that, yes, he is a massive dick.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:01 AM

Seeing Mark Hunt KO Chris Tuchscherer and just walk away made this card memorable and brought on a bit of PRIDE nostalgia. Other than that it was a succession of fights I had very little interest in. Bisping managed to prove that, yes, he is a massive dick.

Eck.  That's what I get for going to bed right after the card.

Not bad fights overall, but there just wasn't much excitement in who was fighting.  Both Lytle and George Soto losing what were supposed to be "gimme" fights was tough....  I am sort of interested in seeing Ebersole again, if just because he has a bizarre style that seems to work pretty well.  If you can beat up on a perpetual rank 11-20 WW like Lytle it means you have some skills.

What bugs people (well, me) about Bisping isn't that he's a huge dick, but that he's a hypocrite about it.  He thinks he's a classy guy, and doesn't understand why people don't like his antics.

Chael Sonnen is a giant douchebag.  He doesn't pretend to be anything else.  I can be entertained by that if he wins or if he loses.  Koscheck is a meathead asshole, but he doesn't pretend either.  He loves wearing the black hat.  Neither guy will whine about how people have the wrong idea about them. 

Big props to Jorge for continuing the fight after the illegal knee basically KO'd him.  He should have stayed down and collected the DQ win.

The Penn/Fitch fight was okay.  Really shows why Penn is an MMA legend:  a natural LW just fought a perpetual top 3 WW to a hard-fought draw.  Big kudos to BJ for admitting after the fight that he thought Fitch edged him out.  I have no desire to see a rematch.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: March 12, 2011, 05:39:57 PM

Whelp, hope you like the UFC.

Sengoku has folded, and most of their "name" fighters have abandoned ship.  Sengoku was one of the big two Japanese promotions.

Dream, the other big Japanese promotion, is rumored to be about ready to call it quits.  They run the kickboxing promotion K-1 as well.  Fighters report not having been paid for bouts that took place months ago.

The UFC just purchased Strikeforce.

Pretty much Bellator, which is in some financial danger, it the "major" promotion standing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: