Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265634 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #455 on: August 29, 2010, 03:19:51 AM

Haha, James Toney came in fat as a pig, got taken down and owned in the first round just like everyone expected. I don't know why these guys think they don't need to learn to fight MMA to fight MMA. The guy I was talking about in this thread like a year ago, Wilson, crossed over from boxing and went like 5-0 against fellow newbs. But he actually learned how to grapple, won a fight by submission, and didn't challenge fighters of legendary status as a newbie to the sport.

I imagine it must be hard to enter the UFC at 42 years old and really commit to learning how to fight MMA regardless of how much Toney has accomplished in boxing (I don't follow boxing much, but it sounds like he's on the downside of a pretty impressive career).  I give him credit at least for stepping in there, probably with the full understanding regardless of the pre-fight trash talk, that he was going to get his ass kicked, even if it made for a bit of a crap show for the fans.

All things considered though, I'm a little disappointed that this was one of the UFC events they showed at my theater.  I thought it was fairly lackluster all around and would have rather had any of the next three UFC events instead.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:31 PM

Gimmick fight is gimmicky.

Tony was just looking for a paycheck, and White just wanted to humiliate a boxer in the octagon.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: August 29, 2010, 05:48:01 PM

I didn't see the point of the Tony fight either. Edgar v Penn was entertaining, again.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #458 on: August 29, 2010, 05:59:08 PM

I imagine it must be hard to enter the UFC at 42 years old and really commit to learning how to fight MMA regardless of how much Toney has accomplished in boxing (I don't follow boxing much, but it sounds like he's on the downside of a pretty impressive career).

I'd have been more sympathetic if he'd come in at a better weight. This is a dude who won his first boxing title at 160. I mean he could weigh whatever and still get his ass beat in a sport where he hasn't bothered to learn the fundamentals, but it would have at least looked like he thought he could win.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:25 AM

He purportedly lost about 40 pounds getting ready for this fight.  Not that I'm making excuses for the guy - he clearly had no idea what was going to happen to him.

The card was pretty "meh" overall.  I didn't even care much for the title fight either, but that may largely be because I don't like seeing BJ lose.  He looked too old and slow.  It's odd hat he can humiliate every other lightweight in the world, yet it appears Frankie will end up beating him 9 times out of 10.

I did enjoy watching Kenny (I Finish Fights at 155!) Florian lose.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #460 on: August 30, 2010, 11:32:38 AM

It really turned out to be a shitty night if not for Lauzon's beatdown and Diaz v Davis I would be seriously pissed about spending money on it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: August 30, 2010, 02:59:48 PM

It really turned out to be a shitty night if not for Lauzon's beatdown and Diaz v Davis I would be seriously pissed about spending money on it.

Both those fights were good watches.

Lauzon WRECKED that guy. 

The Diaz v Davis fight could have been a Fight of the Year candidate if not for Davis' cut early... that really seemed to throw his game off.   The first round was a good balanced round, but you could see Davis fade in end of the first and second as his vision went.  Davis will never be a favorite fighter of mine, but you have to respect a guy that goes out and fights a hard fight every time. 

I still think that Nate Diaz is only slightly smarter than a pumpkin.  Hopefully the UFC forces him to stay at 170.  He just looks so much better at that weight.

I did enjoy seeing Gray handle Florian, though the fight wasn't that interesting.  Kenny is the most schizophrenic fighter out there.  His last fights, he made guys like Gomi and Clay Guida look like fools.  This fight, he looks uninspired.

Fuck Keith Florian too.  That guy is annoying as hell.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: September 14, 2010, 04:33:07 PM

UFN 22 is tomorrow night on Spike:

Marquardt vs. Palhares -- Nate in his first fight since the February shellacking by Sonnen.  Palhares is a stocky Brazilian BJJ prodigy whose sole loss is Dan Henderson.  Could be great, could be Marquardt playing it safe and tagging Palhares outside of his range for 3 rounds. 

Efrain Escudero vs. Oliveira -- Efrain was a TUF winner, and is generally an exciting fighter.  Oliveira is a 13-0 submissions guy who is question mark.

Jim Miller vs. Gleison Tibau -- Jim Miller is an exciting LW with some dominating performances (the Wiman fight immediately jumps to mind).  Tibau is a mini-me version of Thiago Alves.  Should be a great fight.

Ross Pearson vs. Cole Miller -- Both guys are decent midcarders that usually have exciting fights.  Pearson is looking to establish himself as a LW contender.

Prelims:

There are some interesting fighters here, and with any luck some of these will make the main card.  Yves Edwards, Tomasz Drwal, and Brian Foster.  Foster is the guy that Lytle snapped the beautiful knee bar on this winter...  good to see he's alright.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: September 14, 2010, 04:37:30 PM

Also:

Seanbaby has a new MMA article:  
The 6 Least Sportsmanlike Moments in MMA

Edit:

It was so illegal that Wes might as well have thrown blinding powder or pulled out a photo of Frank Mir's kidnapped daughter and said, "She's strapped to a bomb that's set to go off when anyone named Wes Sims loses a fight!"

He's of the school of thought where if you get caught stabbing a hooker, you might as well steal her wallet and tell the police that her meth is yours.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:48:34 PM by Johny Cee »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: September 20, 2010, 10:58:42 AM

So it seems Chael Sonnen was juicing.  I'm not going to link an article.

Gods dammit.  This was a seriously interesting plot, and then some shit like this comes up.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: September 30, 2010, 09:10:57 AM

WEC 51, Live on Versus tonight:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan (for featherweight title)
* Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
* Donald Cerrone vs. Jamie Varner
* Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop
* Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

This seems to be an awesome card. 

- Aldo is The Man.  His career is a basically a highlight reel of amazing, including the flying double knee KO.  Last fight was a 5 round demolition of Faber, where Faber had trouble walking going into round 3.
- Torres is a badass who has had 2 straight losses after a dominating run as the best Bantamweight in the world.  Usually a fast pace and exciting fighter.
- Cerrone vs. Varner is a legit bad blood match.  They HATE each other.  When Varner was LW champ, he was ducking Cerrone.  When they finally met, Varner managed to secure a technical decision by refusing to continue after Cerrone hit him with an illegal knee.  Comments by Varner afterwards left the impression that he knew Cerrone was coming on strong after losing the first couple of rounds, so played up the injury rather than continue and lose the fight.
- Chan Sung Jung = The Korean Zombie, who had the amazing slugfest against Garcia in the spring.
- Garcia is a heavy handed brawler, see above fight with Korean Zombie.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: October 24, 2010, 01:03:57 PM

UFC 121 was last night, pretty good card. Brandon Schaub looked really good against Gonzaga. Diego's screaming slam of Paulo Tiago was epic. And finally, Lesnar gets the beating he deserves.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: October 24, 2010, 01:53:47 PM

UFC 121 was last night, pretty good card. Brandon Schaub looked really good against Gonzaga. Diego's screaming slam of Paulo Tiago was epic. And finally, Lesnar gets the beating he deserves.

Decent card.  Not alot of surprises, and the only surprises were unfortunate (the decline of Cote and Gonzaga). 

- Cain was the pick of most of the insiders and pros, so not shocking.  Lesner's striking is awful, and Cain just worked him.  Really like the matchup of JDS and Cain for next title bout, though.  If Cain tries standing with that guy, he's going to sleep.  If Cain doesn't get overconfident and mixes striking with takedowns, he should wear JDS down and get the win.

This sets up some wonderful matchups for Brock, as well.  I'd love to see Brock/Nog, Brock/Nelson, Brock/Kongo, Brock/Crocop....  No Carwin II, please.

- Shields vs. Kampmann was alright.  Shields was unexciting but amazingly proficient, Kampmann showed decent scrambling skills and some good clinch work.  Kampmann, though I like him, is a fucking idiot sometimes....  he gets suckered into playing to other peoples strengths.

- Diego had a good fight with Thiago.

- Hammel took it to Tito, which is always fun.

- Gonzaga vs. Schaub was meh.  Good first round, but Schaub coasted a bit later in the match.  Gonzaga just looked out of sorts. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: October 25, 2010, 05:36:33 AM

LOVED seeing Diego take it to Thiago.  I honestly thought (after watching his last match) that he was going to be in big trouble in this fight, but man did he kick Paulo's ass.  The slam was awesome, even if it didn't do much damage.

Jake Shields is boooooring.  He barely deserved that win.  He is going to get worked over by GSP.

The most surprising thing to me about the Cain/Lesnar match was when Brock got on top of him...I thought that was the beginning of the end for Cain.  Much credit to him for getting up as easily as he did, and then putting on that beatdown.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #469 on: October 25, 2010, 06:24:18 AM

Big debate in the sports media world today was whether Brock getting beat that bad was good for the popularity of the sport across the board.

Thoughts?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: October 25, 2010, 06:40:46 AM

Depends on what you mean.  Will Cain sell as many PPV buys?  Not hardly.  I suppose that's bad for Dana White.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #471 on: October 25, 2010, 07:06:38 AM

The idea was that Brock getting beat hurts the sports ability to grow in national popularity.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: October 26, 2010, 10:50:04 AM

Big debate in the sports media world today was whether Brock getting beat that bad was good for the popularity of the sport across the board.

Thoughts?

Brock is 32/33 with one serious medical problem in the last year, plus the wear and tear of a stint in pro wrestling (which is supposedly atrocious... there's a reason why steroids and painkiller/alcohol addiction are widespread in pro wrestling).  Even if he had won, it's questionable how long he's going to be a dominant fighter.

Brock's loss makes the relatively young Cain another legit draw and sets up the redemption/come back storyline for Brock.  Cain isn't going to draw anywhere near what Brock is, sure....  but he is going to gain a ton of hype.  There is no way that any casual fan that sees Cain's performance and doesn't become intrigued with his next match.

The UFC has been pretty actively marketing towards the Hispanic (especially Mexican) population in the last couple of years.  Having a legitimate and exciting champ is only going to be good for them. 

Also, the UFC isn't about "one big star".  In 2009, they ran something like 20 or 30 events between PPVs, Fight Nights, and other free cards.  They are on track to do that again this year.  The UFC would much rather have a bunch of fairly popular fighters than they want one superstar, since all of those events need a legitimate headliner and you need coverage for dropouts and medical issues.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #473 on: October 26, 2010, 12:27:46 PM

The UFC has been pretty actively marketing towards the Hispanic (especially Mexican) population in the last couple of years.  Having a legitimate and exciting champ is only going to be good for them. 

I agree with that, and it seems to be a big upside for them. They really want to hit the 16-30 male crowd and the Hispanic population.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #474 on: October 27, 2010, 01:51:00 AM

I agree with that, and it seems to be a big upside for them. They really want to hit the 16-30 male crowd and the Hispanic population.

They broadcast 121 at my theater and I took the night off to watch it.  Now given that I live in the Bay Area (and that Cain fights out of San Jose), there was a pretty large Hispanic crowd in attendance, and they were loving it.  We've had some UFC events at my theater in the past, but this was easily the biggest crowd reaction I had seen at any of them.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:53 AM

They broadcast 121 at my theater and I took the night off to watch it.  Now given that I live in the Bay Area (and that Cain fights out of San Jose), there was a pretty large Hispanic crowd in attendance, and they were loving it.  We've had some UFC events at my theater in the past, but this was easily the biggest crowd reaction I had seen at any of them.

The canniness and strategic planning of the UFC is constantly being underestimated.

The two demographics in North America/Western Hemisphere they are weak in has been Hispanics (which is why we got the Huerta push, the move to simulcasting in Spanish, and now Cain) and Black Americans (they've always had a number of athletes of African ethnicity from other countries, but relatively fewer African Americans).

The way the UFC is sneaking into Asian markets is pretty interesting, too.  They have some setup with a couple of Chinese entertainment networks/websites that looks like the UFC will be available almost everywhere in China.  The Abu Dhabi deal was as much to get an inside relationship with Asian broadcasters.  The Australian PPV was mostly to soften up and lay the groundwork for an expansion into East or South Asia, especially since it seems the UFC is going to be locked out of Japan by the....  questionable... state of Japanese MMA (i.e. lousy with connections to organized crime).

I think that's the major reason you won't see a Fedor deal.  The UFC would rather spend that money on being the first into China or India (which has specifically been identified as a market they are going after) rather than pay Fedor a king's ransom.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: October 28, 2010, 08:03:02 PM

Well!

Dana White announced that the UFC and the WEC are merging as of January 2011. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #477 on: October 28, 2010, 09:29:18 PM

It's a good idea.  There's going to be a bunch of lightweights that get pink slips over this (eventually, Dana said no one loses their job right away).

This puts a lot of able bodies in front of Jose Aldo. Seeing him against UFC lightweights would be aaaaaaaaaawesome.

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:32 PM

It's a good idea.  There's going to be a bunch of lightweights that get pink slips over this (eventually, Dana said no one loses their job right away).

This puts a lot of able bodies in front of Jose Aldo. Seeing him against UFC lightweights would be aaaaaaaaaawesome.

Aldo is a scary, scary man.

Edit:

There are a pile of rumors floating around about the UFC and a network TV deal.  Folding in the WEC gives them 2 more belts to contest, and a pile more available fighters to match up to fill a regular network programming slot, though I imagine they would have to work out of their Spike contract somehow.

I wouldn't be surprised if, within 2 years, the UFC has a Saturday or Friday night fight slot on network TV.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:44:53 PM by Johny Cee »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: November 04, 2010, 04:38:19 PM

New Seanbaby MMA article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-book-insults-just-ufc/

"Josh Koscheck is what Cobra scientists would have made if they wanted to make the perfect bully to send back to GiJoes grade school."
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: November 05, 2010, 06:19:20 AM

New Seanbaby MMA article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-book-insults-just-ufc/

"Josh Koscheck is what Cobra scientists would have made if they wanted to make the perfect bully to send back to GiJoes grade school."

Love Letters

Man, I've been watching this season of ultimate fighter, and Josh really is a giant douche...and as one of the comments on the linked article mentioned, it's made all the more clearer when compared to how much of a great human being GSP is (genuinely).  In a strange sort of way, I don't really want to see them fight - I think Koscheck actually matches up pretty well with Georges and has a better chance than most to pull off a win.  I don't think I could deal with that.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: November 05, 2010, 09:39:43 AM

There are some GREAT UFC events scheduled for the next few months:

- UFC 123:  Machida vs Rampage, Hughes/Penn III, Phil Davis (after Bader and Jones, the next hot prospect at LHW), George Snuffaluffagus (Aussie guy who has looked awesome) vs Joe Lauzon.

- UFC 124: GSP vs Koscheck, Struve vs McCorkle (giant HWs), Jim Miller (who has looked awesome), Joe Stevenson vs Mac Danzig, Alves vs John Howard (who has looked pretty good)

- UFC 125: Edgar vs Maynard, Aldo debut in UFC (this guy has a legit claim to be one of the baddest men on the planet), Guida vs Gomi (oohhhhh), Diaz vs Stun Gun (Diaz has looked awesome at WW, but Stun Gun is undefeated and has great judo and wrestling), Chris Leben vs Stann (fun slobberknocker)

- UFC 126: Anderson vs Vitor Belfort (great matchup), Griffin vs Franklin (should be amazingly fun), Miguel Torres debut (Torres is a bad, bad man and exciting fighter), Ellenburger vs Fitch (Ellenburger is a good wrestler with great power, should actually be a fun Fitch fight), JON JONES VS RYAN BADER (likely an eliminator to see who gets the title push)

That is a hell of a schedule.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: November 07, 2010, 03:36:29 PM

There has been some preliminary rumors that Bellator is facing getting shut down.  Their TV deal just fell through, and they aren't having any luck getting a new broadcaster.  Combine that with the fact they have been hemoraging money, and....

I haven't watched a whole lot of Bellator, mostly because it's tough to find, but overall I think they put on better shows that Strikeforce.  They run "seasons" where you have tourney brackets to find a challenger for their titleholder, and generally run more interesting fights.  SF generally has the feel of throwing marketable guys at each other to try and sell an event, and lacks a longer term narrative.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: November 14, 2010, 09:08:42 AM

Heh, for some reason up until this last post I always thought Bellator was female MMA.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: November 15, 2010, 05:30:36 AM

Number of fairly entertaining cards from the UFC last Saturday.  NOT the main event, however.  What a snoozer.  Way to throw your legitimacy down the shitter, Nate Marquardt.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: December 13, 2010, 12:20:15 PM

The UFC card last weekend was pretty good.  I bought it for the main event, but the card delivered nicely, IMO.

- Alves is a scary man when on form and in good shape.  Doomsday, not so much.
- Miller with a nice sub on a young Brazilian that had some dangerous looking jiu jitsu
- Mark Bocek...I swear, the guy seems to pull of a cool sub every time I see him.
- Struve, the human punching bag, pulls a pretty cool reversal and puts the smack on that irritating McCorkle guy.  Did like.
- Last but not least, GSP shows Koscheck how it's really done. 

Georges is a bit of an enigma right now, though.  He is probably the "smartest" elite MMA fighter in the world, but frankly, it's getting a little boring.  I'd like to see him take a few more chances and beat the shit out of some people.  We already know he's more talented and that he can out game-plan all of them.  Maybe he does need a move to 185...get some guys up there to push him into a real fight.

Koscheck....damn it if I can figure the guy out.  Just when I buy fully into his bad guy routine, he shows some class and was geniunely gracious in defeat.  Rogan says he actually is a swell guy, the whole thing is just an act.  Oh well, he's an interesting character if nothing else. 

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: December 13, 2010, 07:18:38 PM

The UFC card last weekend was pretty good.  I bought it for the main event, but the card delivered nicely, IMO.

- Alves is a scary man when on form and in good shape.  Doomsday, not so much.
- Miller with a nice sub on a young Brazilian that had some dangerous looking jiu jitsu
- Mark Bocek...I swear, the guy seems to pull of a cool sub every time I see him.
- Struve, the human punching bag, pulls a pretty cool reversal and puts the smack on that irritating McCorkle guy.  Did like.
- Last but not least, GSP shows Koscheck how it's really done. 

Georges is a bit of an enigma right now, though.  He is probably the "smartest" elite MMA fighter in the world, but frankly, it's getting a little boring.  I'd like to see him take a few more chances and beat the shit out of some people.  We already know he's more talented and that he can out game-plan all of them.  Maybe he does need a move to 185...get some guys up there to push him into a real fight.

Koscheck....damn it if I can figure the guy out.  Just when I buy fully into his bad guy routine, he shows some class and was geniunely gracious in defeat.  Rogan says he actually is a swell guy, the whole thing is just an act.  Oh well, he's an interesting character if nothing else. 

Was a good card, but really needed the finishes on top of the dominations.  Both Alves and GSP need a bit more of the killer instinct, but Alves is coming off of back to back losses so it's understandable that he played it a bit safe against a power puncher.  Kos was out of that fight about half way through the second.  He had no depth perception and was visibly flinching away from the cut man's bag of ice.  GSP should have finished that. 

Some good fights will piggyback on this event. 
- Shields vs GSP could be a solid fight.  Likely, Shields will get mauled on the feet but he does have a great wrestling and top game so he has a solid shot.
- Miller called out Snuffaluffagus, which would be an AMAZING fight.  The LW title picture is booked for at least 6 months between Edgar/Maynard and then the title unification with the winner of Henderson/Pettis.  Snuff and Miller are the top two for the title shot after that with Florian coming off a loss and BJ at WW now....  a title eliminator would be lovely this winter or spring.
- Struve is pushing himself back up the ladder, and with how shallow the HW division is could get the dubious reward of getting Mir, Carwin, or Lesner who will all be looking for rebound fights.  A fight with Pat Barry, though, would be.....  awesome.

In other news, Overeem just won the K-1 (kickboxing) 2010 Grand Prix.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: December 17, 2010, 05:26:56 AM

From the last WEC event:

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:37 AM

Holy shit, that's awesome!  It looks like he kicked off the side of the cage, too, which actually adds to the awesome.  Who is that?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #489 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:28 AM

Holy shit, that's awesome!  It looks like he kicked off the side of the cage, too, which actually adds to the awesome.  Who is that?

Anthony Pettis kicking Benson Henderson.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: