Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:35:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265607 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #420 on: June 27, 2010, 08:21:39 PM

Ohohoho.

Somewhere Dana White is laughing his ass off.

I think it was kind of obvious Fedor was massively overrated, at least recently.  Nothing against the man, but his fans made it very difficult to like the guy.  I'm not saying he isn't a great fighter.  I just think of him as the HW Matt Hughes:  a good/great fighter who dominated his division in a time when it was very shallow.

The internet rhetoric presented him as some combination of Chuck Norris, Muhammad Ali, Rasputin, and the terminator.

He's really only taken safe fights for nearly 5 years now (even his last PRIDE fights were a bit silly). M1 is probably mostly to blame as they needed to keep their cash cow mowing through guys that pose no threat.  And yah, like Hughes (but not to the extreme that Hughes has) he's becoming less threatening.  He's still got pretty scary striking and not every HW is going to have near Werdum's ability to threaten him from guard. But he's a small heavy weight with a physique only Mike Russow would envy.  Sure, Rodgers has no clue how to use his size, but I'm afraid what a Lesnar, Carwin or Velasquez could do to him in the clinch or from the top.

This just absolutely kills the Fedor v Overeem match up they wanted.  Sure they can be lame and have the non #1 contender take on Overeem again, but that will just make Strikeforce look even more silly than they already do.  They just don't have a lot of interesting match ups to make when crap like this happens.

I'd like to see Fedor fight someone interesting and relevant, even if it takes M1 getting co-promotion for an event with the UFC.  But he'll probably do his one contracted fight left with Strikeforce and go retire.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: June 28, 2010, 12:01:43 PM

As I think I speculated before in this thread, the whole reason he didn't go to UFC was because he didn't want to get massacred by one of the current crops of heavyweights.  We knew this was going to happen at some point, but I was rather hoping it would be versus a more compelling opponent. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: June 28, 2010, 03:05:07 PM

As I think I speculated before in this thread, the whole reason he didn't go to UFC was because he didn't want to get massacred by one of the current crops of heavyweights.  We knew this was going to happen at some point, but I was rather hoping it would be versus a more compelling opponent. 

I honestly think Fedor would get mauled by most of the top UFC heavyweights, outside of a puncher's chance in the flurries if someone is dumb and stands in front of him.  Carwin could push him up against the cage and treat him like Mir.  Brock would take him down and treat him like Mir.  Cain could take him down and GnP him for 3 rounds.  JDS has better striking, but is most likely to stand in front of Fedor and eat a big shot.

I think fights with Mir, Gonzaga, Kongo, and the mid-tier would be great fun fights, though.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we see Fedor avenge his loss and retire.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: June 29, 2010, 08:26:07 PM

So, UFC 116 this weekend:

Main card
    * Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar (c) vs United States Shane Carwin (ic)
    * Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
    * Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Stephan Bonnar
    * Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

* Heavyweight bout:  Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero

Preliminary card

* Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs.  Goran Reljic
    * Middleweight bout:  Gerald Harris vs.  Dave Branch
    * Welterweight bout: Daniel Roberts vs.  Forrest Petz
    * Heavyweight bout: Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola

Main card looks pretty good.
- Lesner vs. Carwin: The two biggest UFC HWs fight for the title, and the number 1 overall ranking in the sport.  It's basically King Kong vs. Godzilla.

- Sexiyama vs. Leben: Should be entertaining.  Leben will wade in and try to put Akiyama away.  It's only been a couple of weeks since Leben's last fight.

- Lytle vs. Brown: Should be an amazingly fun fight.  Two solid midcard brawlers.

- Krzysztof vs. Bonnar: A rematch.  These two fought in a fun and bloody fight a few months ago.  The fight was stopped due to cuts, rematch scheduled.

- Sotiroupolos vs. Pellegrino: George has been on fire, and just had a dominating performance beating Joe Stevens.  Pellegrino has been on a tear.  A win for George probably pushes him into title contention.

Not too excited for the prelims.  The only interesting match is Grove and Reljic, which got bumped to unaired prelims from the Spike prelims after Grove ran his mouth in an interview at Spike.  Smart!

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #424 on: July 04, 2010, 05:13:17 AM

Leben vs. Akiyama was an amazing fight that will be somewhat overshadowed by Lesnar vs. Carwin.  Both were really good matches though.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: July 04, 2010, 09:02:42 AM

The main card was full of great fights. 

- George Snuffaluffagus and Pellegrino had a decent battle, and George is proving he's a legit contender.  A fight with Kenny Florian or Sean Sherk (what happened to Sherk?) would be very interesting, but I think Maynard would smother him all day.

- Bonnar and Kryzstoff had a fun back and forth brawl.  Both those guys need to learn some fucking defense.

- Lytle and Brown was a good fight, but they both ALWAYS put on great fights.  Lytle's submission was gorgeous.  Transition from the mount to a mounted triangle and then throws in an armbar?  Lytle got robbed on sub of the night.

- Akiyama and Leben was a good fight.  Akiyama impressed me with his grit, good standup, and crazy judo.  He still got sucked into banging with Leben which is an awful idea if your name isn't Anderson Silva.  The come from behind triangle by Leben, who looked like he would have been edged out on the scorecards, was a great ending.

Leben immediately called out Wanderlei, which is another potentially amazing fight.

- Lesner and Carwin.   Back and forth battle where each guy managed to deploy their gameplan.  Carwin just has monster power, and everyone questioned his gas tank since his average fight length is a couple of minutes.  Brock ate some good shots, then laid back and survived while Carwin punched himself out.

I actually said to a friend in the second that, if it were any other fighter, it looked like Brock was going for an arm triangle....  and then he pulled out an arm triangle.

Brock answered alot of questions about his chin, his mental toughness, and his heart.  If Carwin takes his lessons on his gas tank and cardio revealed by this fight, he could get even better.  A rematch in a couple fights time would still be anyone's guess, though the clock is ticking on the 35 year old Carwin.

Lesner and Cain should be going at it very, very soon, with Junior dos Santos waiting in the wings (he should get by Roy Nelson pretty easily, I think). 
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: July 04, 2010, 11:19:55 AM

That was a great card.

I was probably most surprised that Bonner TKO'd Popinski.  I know he's in good shape, but he's getting long in the tooth, and I don't remember him doing that well the first time they fought.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: July 06, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

UFC 117 looks like a great card as well:

MAIN CARD
* Champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
* Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
* Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
* Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
* Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Tim Boetsch vs. Thiago Silva
* Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
* Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
* Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
* Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders
* Stanislav Nedkov vs. Rodney Wallace

Main card is stacked. 
- Silva vs. Sonnen should be interesting.  Chael has been doing a ridiculous amount of trash talking.  I still think he has potential to pull this out with his great freestyle and greco wrestling base.  The question really is can Anderson put him away in the first two rounds, or can Chael take him down and drag the fight out to where Anderson has been shown to have weak cardio.

- Alves vs. Fitch.  Rematch. Fitch got the sub on Alves ages ago, before Alves went on a tear.  Since then, Alves has looked dominating against a pile of WW contenders (including Hughes and Koshcheck), and lost a decision to GSP who was content to grind out a wrestling based points victory.

- dos Anjos vs. Guida.  Should be high energy and fun.

- Almeida vs. Hughes.  BJJ prodigy vs. aging WW great.  Go Almeida!

- JDS vs. Nelson.  For the next HW shot after Cain/Lesner.  Nelson will NOT stand with JDS, so we will get a chance to see JDS's ground game.  Or JDS will put Nelson to sleep early.

Prelims:

Great prelim card as well.  I would be happy to get many of these fights as main event fights on a free card.

Boetsch vs. Silva.  Slugfest.  Boetsch is a decent brawler, who wrecked David Heath (go watch that fight if you haven't seen it... ragdoll physics were in effect), had Hammill in trouble early, and lost an uninspiring wrestling match to Jason Brilz (the dude that embarrassed Lil Nog).  T Silva has decent Muay Thai, and has been the victim of a huge amount of hype.  Should be fun.

Hazelett vs. Story.  Hazelett is famous for sick, slick submissions.  Story is an up-and-comer with good boxing, fast-fast pace, and solid wrestling base.  Should be a great fight.

Hallman vs. "Captain Knees" Saunders.  Hallman is the perpetual journeyman who's highlights include 2 wins against Hughes before Hughes was the WW jugernaught.  Saunders has loses to good fighters (Fitch, Swick) and some pure exhibition demolition by Death Knees over a few fighters, including Marcus Davis.

Hendricks and Struve have feeder fights to get them back to the main card here.  Both guys have gotten a bit of hype.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:58 PM

Oh, hey.  Jones vs Matyushenko Live on Versus on Sunday, August 1st.  Good card, too!

Main card

* Light Heavyweight bout: United States Jon Jones vs. Belarus Vladimir Matyushenko[1]
    * Middleweight bout: United States Mark Muñoz vs. Japan Yushin Okami[1]
    * Welterweight bout: United States John Howard vs. United States Jake Ellenberger[1]
    * Lightweight bout: United States Tyson Griffin vs. Japan Takanori Gomi[1]

Preliminary card

* Lightweight bout: England Paul Kelly vs. United States Jacob Volkmann[1]
    * Welterweight bout: United States DaMarques Johnson vs. United States Matthew Riddle[1]
    * Light Heavyweight bout: United States James Irvin vs. Croatia Igor Pokrajac[1]
    * Middleweight bout: United States Brian Stann vs. United States Mike Massenzio[1]
    * Lightweight bout: United States Darren Elkins vs. Brazil Charles Oliveira[1]
    * Middleweight bout: United States Rob Kimmons vs. United States Steve Steinbeiss[1]

The entire main card is pretty friggin solid. 
- Jones is a top prospect, and Matyushenko isn't a slouch though he hasn't really fought since Pride.
- Munoz vs. Okami.  Okami can be in boring fights, controlling with wrestling.  Munoz is a Div I wrestling standout with huge power.  You might remember him from scrambling Kendal Grove's eggs.
- Howard vs. Ellenburger.  Should be a great fight.  Both guys are young prospects at WW who have put on some great shows.
- Tyson Griffin vs. Gomi.  Gomi used to be The Man, and wrecked fools in Pride.  Griffin is a perpetual contender.  May turn into Griffin smothering Gomi, but should be high pace and active.

Prelims aren't bad, either!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: July 27, 2010, 06:10:28 AM

Yep, that's a great main card.  And free!

And despite my reluctance to pick up another Anderson Silva card, on paper that one is looking pretty interesting.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: August 01, 2010, 10:27:41 AM

Yep, that's a great main card.  And free!

And despite my reluctance to pick up another Anderson Silva card, on paper that one is looking pretty interesting.

Chael Sonnen has sold the shit out of that fight.  He might not be the best fighter in the world, and he seems to be horrible against good sub fighters, but he "gets" the marketing aspect.  He's a great heal, and people have been getting a little fed up with Anderson Silva's antics.

Style-wise, I think Chael has a decent shot if he can make it out of the first two rounds.  Silva doesn't seem to have great TDD, doesn't have amazing subs off his back, and has a tendency to gas a bit in the later rounds.  If Silva doesn't put him to sleep, Chael could grind out a decision.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: August 05, 2010, 06:56:04 PM

UFC 117 this weekend!

MAIN CARD

PRELIMINARY CARD

This should be a great card.  Main card is all great fights.  Some solid stuff on the undercard, as well. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: August 06, 2010, 05:22:45 AM

UFC 117 this weekend!

MAIN CARD

PRELIMINARY CARD

This should be a great card.  Main card is all great fights.  Some solid stuff on the undercard, as well. 

And THIS is a great card.  Dana is obviously stacking it in case of more Silva antics, but I'm not complaining.  A must buy....all five fights on the main card are worth seeing.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #433 on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:00 PM

I have no idea why a Matt Hughes fight is on my overcard but I'll keep buying every Anderson fight because I've never seen a fighter on such a crazy level in mma. Though if Bones Jones keeps tearing shit up I may change my tune.

Predictions:
(-500) Anderson
(+250) Big Country, upset special, I can see it happening either JDS gets over aggressive or gets tagged and then sat on.
(-120) Fitch via some really lame l&p or late round takedown gameplan they cook up because Fitch is a fucking piece of shit.
(-175) Big Dog
(-125) Rafael Dos Anjos, this fight is the hardest one to call of any on this entire card of the fights where I know both fighters.

(-120) Hazelett
(-265) KillaB Saunders
(-800) Phil Davis (now fighting Rodney Wallace) even on short notice, kid is a beast and I hope he keeps his unbeaten streak going, also holy shit look at this line. I mean I agree but goddamn.

You might want to go take a look at the undercard since several of the fights have been switched due to injuries.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: August 08, 2010, 07:05:52 AM

Ho.  Lee.  Shit.

Main event was fantastic.  I'm still not even sure what to think about the result.  The whole thing was massively entertaining, though.  Silva earned back a lot of respect in my book, if for no other reason than showing he can take a pounding and still pull it out of the hat.  Sonnen impressed the shit out of me, because despite the ending, he backed up every last bit of his trash talk.  They have to do an immediate rematch.  Sonnen must be crushed, though, jesus.

And the rest of the card was pretty good, too.  Not a boring fight on it.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: August 08, 2010, 08:12:08 AM

Ho.  Lee.  Shit.

Main event was fantastic.  I'm still not even sure what to think about the result.  The whole thing was massively entertaining, though.  Silva earned back a lot of respect in my book, if for no other reason than showing he can take a pounding and still pull it out of the hat.  Sonnen impressed the shit out of me, because despite the ending, he backed up every last bit of his trash talk.  They have to do an immediate rematch.  Sonnen must be crushed, though, jesus.

And the rest of the card was pretty good, too.  Not a boring fight on it.

Yep.  The whole event was great and surprising...  except for the Fitch/Alves fight. 

- Roy Nelson ate Cabbage levels of abuse, and would come back to throw serious punches.  The crowd was really into this fight.
- Hughes dropped Almeida with a punch and then choked him out with a headlock?  Unreal.
- Guida and dos Anjos had a fun, fast paced fight.

Sonnen beat the shit out of Anderson for 4.5 rounds, before Silva slapped on the triangle.  Most surprising was that Sonnen dropped Anderson on the feet.  The fight made Anderson look vulnerable to great wrestlers.  I wonder if GSP is going to reconsider and make the step up?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #436 on: August 08, 2010, 08:51:19 AM

Instant rematch is unlikely unless they are no longer interested in getting Belfort in there against him. Also instant rematch does nothing for Sonnen, he can't be expected to fight a better fight than that whereas Anderson could do a fuckton of things differently.

The question we will not know the answer to until his next fight is what happened that allowed Sonnen's terrible striking to seem almost effective. I think a ton of credit has to go to the fact that he completely denied Anderson's typical 2.5 minutes of doing nothing but feeling out the range and downloading the movements of his opponent and just bull rushing him from the opening bell. Wonder if his next opponent will see it that way and do the same.

Its funny though in all the fan analysis of OMFG Sonnen dominated him for the entire fight what a huge comeback!@!!oneeleventy12!

-When was Sonnen going to finish that fight? Only the first round did it ever seem like maybe he had a chance to TKO w/ strikes.
-Anderson almost James Irvin'd him twice.
-He tagged him hard with strikes several times even after he had been worn down and peppered with brain scrambling G&P. Most notably in the 4th round where a finish seemed likely had he stayed standing instead of falling to the ground w/ Sonnen and being masterfully reversed onto his back (seriously, I never saw that coming, was a nice move)
-He was looking for subs the entire fight (he locked up the arm a million times but Sonnen was aware and denied anything but desperate attempts that Anderson didn't try).
-He hit that kimura that was looking dangerous but time was running out.

This fight illustrated the need for some kind of rule on when to stand fighters up. There were 90 second periods throughout the fight where Sonnen didn't attempt to advance his position, attempt to submit or throw a punch with fight ending intent. Either remove the entire standing fighters up procedure or explain when and why a stand up should occur. It really felt especially in round 2 that Anderson was trying to just lock up for a reset that was never coming.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: August 08, 2010, 10:26:12 AM

I had no problem with that fight.  Sonnen was always busy, either trying to advance position or hitting Anderson.  He would occasionally land big, damaging punches to go along with his constant small punches.  I find Sonnen to be more fun to watch than either GSP or Fitch.  I'd say, one of the reasons Sonnen gets subbed so often is because he pushes the pace.

The first thing both GSP and Fitch are is safe.  GSP had all of.... two sub attempts against Hardy?  GSP never had Alves in real danger of stoppage. 

The problem with standing guys up more often is that you incentize the guy on the bottom grabbing and holding and whining to the ref, which will just make the ground game even more unexciting.  If you don't like being on the ground, LEARN TO STAND UP.  See Chuck, or BJ, or etc. etc. etc.  It forces the guy on the bottom into taking risks to get out of the bad spot, and that provides openings for the guy on top.

I don't like the Jake O'Brien or Mo Lawal style of taking a guy down and lying on him while you pant and regain your wind, but I can't fault Chael for an active, varied performance.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: August 08, 2010, 11:26:46 AM

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I was really pulling for Sonnen.  Silva's a great fighter, but I can't stand his ego.  At least the illusion of Silva being an unstoppable force has been destroyed.  Chael showed some real weakness in his game.

I was surprised by Silva's cardio, though.  Despite having Sonnen on top of him the entire fight, he seemed to have a lot left in the tank.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #439 on: August 08, 2010, 03:01:00 PM

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I was really pulling for Sonnen.  Silva's a great fighter, but I can't stand his ego.  At least the illusion of Silva being an unstoppable force has been destroyed.  Chael showed some real weakness in his game.

I was surprised by Silva's cardio, though.  Despite having Sonnen on top of him the entire fight, he seemed to have a lot left in the tank.

I'm a f/t Silva fanboi, he's the best fighter I've ever seen live.

That said, people who think this fight exposed holes in his game should think that through a little more. It showed a) he can take beats those punches should have done some damage if just in volume though not in power and b) he has cardio. Two things that were complete mysteries going into the fight since we'd never seen him put in those situations.

As I said in the previous post, the only big secret to beating Anderson I saw in this fight is a) be an amazing wrestler and get top position and try to win via points and much much more importantly b) rush him down before he's acclimated to the fight, go for broke from the bell, take the middle and rush him down.

I wonder though if Anderson will use the rib injury to buy the time for a Belfort v Sonnen match up to determine next challenger though I doubt either way we'll see him back in the ring before the new year.

-William Gibson
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: August 08, 2010, 03:03:56 PM

However you feel about the main event it sure was entertaining.

I loved it when the one guy said "a good surgeon can fix this" when they were checking out the Dutch guy with the assploded lower lip and a second later you hear his coach, in dutch, say 'feck this, let's continue' only to have the guy win 15 seconds into the next round.

Also, why are the vaseline smearing, gash closing guys neutral? Isn't that something that is left to teammates in other fighting sports?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: August 08, 2010, 03:05:27 PM

I imagine Silva trained cardio pretty seriously for this fight, since he appeared gassed in rounds 4 and 5 of his previous one.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: August 08, 2010, 03:28:45 PM

Also, why are the vaseline smearing, gash closing guys neutral? Isn't that something that is left to teammates in other fighting sports?

There was controversy around the second GSP-BJ fight, since the guy who rubbed vaseline on GSPs face was then massaging his back and chest.  BJ made some accusations of greasing, and many states moved to a policy of having only a neutral party lube up the fighters.

Basically, greasing makes BJJ much, much more difficult...
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: August 09, 2010, 04:02:22 PM

Next two UFC PPV cards look to be as loaded as this past event:

UFC 118, in a few weeks:

Main card

* Lightweight Championship bout: United States Frankie Edgar (c) vs. United States B.J. Penn
    * Heavyweight bout: United States Randy Couture vs. United States James Toney
    * Lightweight bout: United States Kenny Florian vs. United States Gray Maynard
    * Welterweight bout: United States Nate Diaz vs. United States Marcus Davis

Prelims:

Some good guys here, too.  Gerald Harris (been taking apart people at MW), Joe Lauzon, Dan Miller, Demian Maia.  They all are in feeder fights, though.

Again, a stacked as hell card.  Edgar vs. Penn 2 should be high paced, and we'll see if Edgar just has the speed/quickness/style to beat Penn's game.  Randy vs Toney is a freakshow, but an entertaining freakshow.  Nate Diaz and Marcus Davis at WW should be good.  Diaz looks much better at WW, and Davis is entering his twilight years.  Davis has good boxing (was a pro boxer) and Diaz has that crazy Diaz-boxing.  Should be two guys throwing down until one drops.

Florian and Maynard?  Yes.  Kenny is coming off of the demolition of Gomi, Maynard is undefeated and has wins against a who's-who at LW, including Edgar.  A great number one contender match.  Has a chance of being ridiculously boring, if either Gray just smothers Kenny or Kenny decides to point fight like the Huerta fight.

UFC 119, on 9/25:

Main card

* Heavyweight bout: United States Frank Mir vs. Brazil Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Brazil Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. United States Ryan Bader
    * Welterweight bout: United States Matt Serra vs. United States Chris Lytle
    * Lightweight bout: United States Sean Sherk vs. United States Evan Dunham
    * Lightweight bout: United States Melvin Guillard vs. United States Jeremy Stephens

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

* Middleweight bout: United States C.B. Dollaway vs. Canada Joe Doerksen
    * Heavyweight bout: United States Matt Mitrione vs. United States Joey Beltran

Preliminary card

* Welterweight bout: Canada TJ Grant vs. United States Julio Paulino
    * Heavyweight bout: New Zealand Mark Hunt vs. United States Sean McCorkle

Main card, again, looks pretty sick. 

- Big Nog rematches Mir, after Mir took Nog apart a couple years ago for the Interim HW title.  Both guys coming off of being dominated by the new breed of HW (Cain demolished Nog, Carwin Carwined ((it's a verb, I swear)) Mir}.

- Lil Nog and Bader.  Bader is the other top LHW prospect, besides the Martian Manhunter.  Champion wrestler, giant size, huge power.  Nog is coming off of the (bogus) split win over Brilz, who took it to the guy and deflated him somewhat.  This is Bader's big step into the upper echiolon of LHWs.

- Serra and Lytle.  Two old veterans, rematching.  Their TUF fight a bunch of years ago was an unexciting split for Serra, which lead to Serra's underdog victory over GSP.  Lytle said "fuck it" after that fight, and has preceded to go out and become one of the most entertaining fighters out there.  He has an ungodly number of "of the Night" bonuses under his belt.  Last seen finishing Matt Brown with a gorgeous inverted triangle + armbar, which he received an unofficial bonus for.

I think these guys will put on a show.  Or they may hug against the cage again.

- Sherk vs. Dunham.  Sherk is Sherk.  Dunham is a hot undefeated LW prospect (4-0 UFC) who has been putting on dominant performances over a range of guys like Tyson Griffin and Efrain.  He's a Brit, but he DID outwrestle Tyson Griffin....  he may be the first Brit with a legit wrestling game. 

- Stephens vs. Guillard.  Should be fireworks.  Both guys have been off and on as prospects, both guys can look like world-beaters or chumps.  Stephens had that vicious video game upper cut finish a year or two ago, while Guillard has amazing speed and power, combined with bad cardio and problems passing the drug tests.  Should be short, fast, and sweet.

Spike card:
- Mittrione looked vastly improved with his demolishing of Kimbo, and he looks like a psychopath.  CB Dolloway was a hot wrestling prospect that has been so-so in practice.

Prelims:
Mark Hunt?  The fuck?  Okay!
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: August 11, 2010, 04:30:29 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: August 11, 2010, 09:10:44 PM

Great find Evil, thanks.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: August 13, 2010, 01:55:04 PM

That's one biography that deserves the holy triumvirate of WTF.

Ohhhhh, I see. swamp poop ACK!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: August 19, 2010, 04:01:00 PM

I missed most of the WEC card last night, which is too bad.  Caught Roller vs. Pettis which was a good fight.

Great interview with Chael Sonnen the day after his loss:  Link

Sonnen dials back the douchebag factor a huge amount.  Comes off as well-spoken and very respectful of Anderson.

Jake Shields is officially an UFC WW now, with a match coming up against Martin Kampann.  This will either setup a fight against Fitch for the number one contender, or be for the title shot after GSP/Koscheck and GSP/Fitch.  GSP and Koscheck are held up filming the next season of TUF.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: August 19, 2010, 06:14:50 PM

I think Chael Sonnen has possibly become my favorite.  Impossible not to like the guy.

(and now I wait for someone to come along and say what a douche he is).

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: August 19, 2010, 06:59:49 PM

I think Chael Sonnen has possibly become my favorite.  Impossible not to like the guy.

(and now I wait for someone to come along and say what a douche he is).

His act is that he's the World's Biggest Douche, he makes no bones about.  I question how much of that is marketing.  Really great interview though.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: August 24, 2010, 02:23:34 PM

Some interesting news has come out:

- Carwin has been implicated in an animal steroid ring under investigation by a US Attorney.
- Big Nog is out of the Mir fight.  His replacement?  CROCOP!!!  I think I like the idea of Mir vs Crocop better.
- Vitor Belfort is still injured, and he's not likely to be back until early next year... sounds like the UFC are setting up a Number One Contender match with Chris Leben.

The Anderson vs Chael rematch is set for the end of the year UFC show, assuming Anderson recovers well from the broken ribs Chael gave him.

Did anyone catch the latest Strikeforce show?  I caught part of it, and from what I've read, it was  awesome, for real
- Lashley got stood up from the mount, and his opponent proceeded to TKO him.
- Jacare beat Tim Kennedy for the vacant (now that Shields took off) MW title.  Per SF insanity, they had been plugging Kennedy as the next big thing in the promotional material as he is a Ranger/war veteran.
- King Mo looked pretty mediocre in a loss to Feijao (who himself has a recent loss to some_can)
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: August 24, 2010, 02:30:42 PM

Mo took about 15 unnecessary elbows to the head before they stopped it.  Feijao looked like he had a solid 20lbs over him.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: August 24, 2010, 02:50:12 PM

Mo took about 15 unnecessary elbows to the head before they stopped it.  Feijao looked like he had a solid 20lbs over him.

Feijao has looked good in previous fights, but he is literally at the same point in his career as Mo:  talented young prospect.

Mo just didn't look very good.  Lot of hanging his hands down low (seems dumb against a good striker who trains with Black House, aka Anderson Silva, Machida, Nogs, Munoz, JDS, etc.), lot of uncompleted TDs.

It just feels like SF keep rushing their young prospects into the spotlight too soon, and they either get complacent or get embarrassed.  Should have been Mo vs. Babalu (who Mo could probably beat) and Feijao vs. Sokudjo to set up a title fight in 3 or 4 months.  Not tough fights, but those two have a bit of Name left and it eases the young guys into the upper end of the LHW rankings.

Who is Feijao going to fight next?  Mousassi, coming off the loss to Mo?

SF is just a giant mess.  They have no continuing narrative for the fights/titles.... it feels thrown together at the last minute.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: August 27, 2010, 12:53:16 PM

I've become a fan of ESPN's MMA Live, which is shown on an odd schedule but regularly posted here:  http://search.espn.go.com/mma-live/video/6

Generally good breakdowns for events, interesting commentary (Rashad, Bonnar, Kenny, etc), and decent interviews.  Not up to the standards of other sports commentary shows, but it's getting there.

Fight this weekend should be good.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #454 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:39 AM

Haha, James Toney came in fat as a pig, got taken down and owned in the first round just like everyone expected. I don't know why these guys think they don't need to learn to fight MMA to fight MMA. The guy I was talking about in this thread like a year ago, Wilson, crossed over from boxing and went like 5-0 against fellow newbs. But he actually learned how to grapple, won a fight by submission, and didn't challenge fighters of legendary status as a newbie to the sport.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: