Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265638 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:21 AM

I like the UFC card this weekend.  I'm going to pick Shogun over Machida, but I really don't know.  I find I'm also looking forward to Mitrione and Kimbo...though I think that Mitrione hits so stupidly hard and is so much bigger than Kimbo that he will probably knock him out pretty quick.  Other fights look pretty decent, too.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:19 PM

I like the UFC card this weekend.  I'm going to pick Shogun over Machida, but I really don't know.  I find I'm also looking forward to Mitrione and Kimbo...though I think that Mitrione hits so stupidly hard and is so much bigger than Kimbo that he will probably knock him out pretty quick.  Other fights look pretty decent, too.

The card this weekend looks pretty good.

Machida vs. Shogun
Cote vs. Belcher  --  I like both these guys alot.  Cote and GSP are the closest I get to having "hometown" fighters.
Koscheck vs. Daley -- Should be good.
Stout vs. Stephens -- Should be fast-paced and a good fight.
Kimbo vs. Mittrione -- Mittrione is flakey, but he should wipe the floor with Kimbo.

Supposedly, the WEC PPV a few weeks ago was AMAZING if you have the opportunity to check it out.  I only caught the Garcia vs. Korean guy with the nickname "The Korean Zombie" and that fight was pretty fucking entertaining.  Aldo vs Faber and Manny Gamburyian vs Mike Brown were also supposed to be pretty good.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: May 06, 2010, 08:00:49 PM

The card this weekend looks pretty good.

Machida vs. Shogun
Cote vs. Belcher  --  I like both these guys alot.  Cote and GSP are the closest I get to having "hometown" fighters.
Koscheck vs. Daley -- Should be good.
Stout vs. Stephens -- Should be fast-paced and a good fight.
Kimbo vs. Mittrione -- Mittrione is flakey, but he should wipe the floor with Kimbo.

Supposedly, the WEC PPV a few weeks ago was AMAZING if you have the opportunity to check it out.  I only caught the Garcia vs. Korean guy with the nickname "The Korean Zombie" and that fight was pretty fucking entertaining.  Aldo vs Faber and Manny Gamburyian vs Mike Brown were also supposed to be pretty good.

It was a really good card, but the Faber fight wasn't that interesting.  Isn't that 3 losses in a row for him?  I wasn't really impressed with his previous fights, either.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #388 on: May 06, 2010, 08:46:08 PM

He had wins after each Mike Brown fight, but 3 out of his last 5 are losses.  Apparently Faber gave it his all, but Aldo just outclassed him.  The last round was Aldo playing not to lose.  Aldo might really end up being something at LW if he chooses to be.

Brown got caught.  Gamburyan's stand up looked really good.  Aldo will just dance around him though.  Guy is scary quick.

Oddly one of the sherdog writers thinks that Kimbo will just take down Mitrione and outpoint him.  I say it's closer to what you think.  Kimbo does that for a round, but like Jones, gets knocked silly with Mitrione's drunken sailor on acid fighting style. 

-Rasix
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #389 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:24 PM

I really just hope that we see a non decision in the title fight and Semtex KTFO's Koscheck's stupid face.  Typically I find cocky Brits obnoxious as fuck but you have to love a guy who rips peoples heads off every goddamn fight.

That said here are my picks, I have a bad feeling about sports (might be because of the Sharks getting wtfdrubbed while I was in class tonight):

Machida by tko
Cote by decision
Koscheck  by decision
Mittrione by tko

Honestly though, Sam Stout v Jeremy Stevens?  What the fuck is that doing on my main card, why would I possibly care about that fight?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: May 09, 2010, 09:25:56 AM

Was a decent card.  Shogun just knows how to get to Machida.  I didn't expect him to win quite so easily.

Kimbo is really just too small for a heavyweight, and it doesn't help that he doesn't know how to get these bigger guys off of him.  I don't know what they can do with the guy...he'd have to change his body a lot to get down to 205, and then those guys would probably be too fast for him.  They keep saying that Kimbo has powerful punches, but is that really a fair statement?  Who has he managed to punch hard outside of a Youtube video?  On the other hand, Mittrione actually looked like he knew what he was doing.  A couple pretty decent choke attempts, and a really smart and well executed plan with the leg kicks.  He's young enough, he could end up being a force.  Also, he's a fucking psychopath.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: May 09, 2010, 11:12:42 AM

Was a decent card.  Shogun just knows how to get to Machida.  I didn't expect him to win quite so easily.

Kimbo is really just too small for a heavyweight, and it doesn't help that he doesn't know how to get these bigger guys off of him.  I don't know what they can do with the guy...he'd have to change his body a lot to get down to 205, and then those guys would probably be too fast for him.  They keep saying that Kimbo has powerful punches, but is that really a fair statement?  Who has he managed to punch hard outside of a Youtube video?  On the other hand, Mittrione actually looked like he knew what he was doing.  A couple pretty decent choke attempts, and a really smart and well executed plan with the leg kicks.  He's young enough, he could end up being a force.  Also, he's a fucking psychopath.

It was a long night last night....  ended up having some friends stop by around 1 AM looking for a place to crash, and devolved into me babysitting people until after 4.

- Good main event, after the first fight and the controversy.  Loved that Machida got KOed.  Just a very satisfying end to the whole thing.  Hopefully this dials back the Machida hype from "superhuman fighting machine" to "good to great fighter in a tough division". 

I imagine Rashad versus Rampage will be for a title shot now.  Either way, I'd love to see a Rashad/Shogun or Rampage/Shogun.  Of course, this could also be an opening for Anderson Silva to move up now that his buddy Machida is out.....

- Cote/Belcher was a decent short fight.  Stout/Stephens a decent LW fight.

- Mittrione/Kimbo was a fun brawl, though Mittrione was surprisingly technical and improved.  Mittrione does look like a fucking psychopath, with the huge open faced smile, vacant eyes, and generally babyface appearance.  He looks like he should be in overalls and accidentally killing rabbits....

Surprisingly, when I caught MMA Live on ESPN, he comes off as humble and well-spoken. 

Aftermath:

Daley was cut and banned for life from the UFC for his after fight punch, and more than likely will catch some kind of long suspension.  Fucking idiot.  Don't talk so much shit if you can't take it.

Kimbo was also released.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:28 AM

Best part about Daley cheap shotting Koscheck was that Koscheck could have come back and said "yeah, what a dick!" and taken the obvious high road but he then decided to act like a big dick himself and insult the crowd instead.  At least we'll get to see a rematch with him and GSP...other than the obvious puncher's chance that anyone has with GSP, I think Koscheck (in theory) should be the guy who can actually put it to him and test him.  Unfortunately, I think it'll devolve into a 25 minute wrestling match.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: May 09, 2010, 01:18:13 PM

Best part about Daley cheap shotting Koscheck was that Koscheck could have come back and said "yeah, what a dick!" and taken the obvious high road but he then decided to act like a big dick himself and insult the crowd instead.  At least we'll get to see a rematch with him and GSP...other than the obvious puncher's chance that anyone has with GSP, I think Koscheck (in theory) should be the guy who can actually put it to him and test him.  Unfortunately, I think it'll devolve into a 25 minute wrestling match.

Koscheck would never take the high road.  He revels in playing the cocky villain.  Besides which, bad-mouthing GSP's home crowd works to building the hype almost immediately and guarantees him the title shot.  I'm glad we won't have to sit through a Daley/GSP fight, which would look exactly the same as the GSP/Hardy fight.

If Daley couldn't stop Koscheck's wrestling, he isn't going to stop GSP's wrestling.

I think Koscheck will make an interesting match for GSP.  He has decent standup backed by great wrestling and much more athletic ability than Fitch.  He's also got experience with GSP, and I'm sure his camp has been game-planning the hell out of a GSP remtach.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: May 15, 2010, 12:45:35 PM

Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery on Showtime tonight:

Overeem vs. Brett Rogers for the HW title.  Overeem makes his return after a couple of years, first fight for Rogers since Fedor.
Arlovski vs. Bigfoot Silva.
Jacare vs. Villasenor.
Roger Gracie vs. Randleman

Actually should be a pretty fun card.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: May 26, 2010, 07:27:50 AM

While I really want to see the Rampage/Evans fight, I'm struggling to gather the desire to buy this upcoming card.  The undercard just seems so "meh" to me.  OTOH, some of those lesser known fighters often end up putting on a really good show.    I dunno.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #396 on: May 27, 2010, 08:45:49 AM

I would be much more worried about the overcard sucking the undercard looks good with lots of fights to choose from that could be interesting.

The main card is one of the worst we've seen in awhile.  The headline fight is a 3-round hypefest that could easily be a joke, Rampage may just come out looking terrible, Rashad was almost knocked out by the last punch that hit him and was knocked out by the punch before that vs Machida the likelyhood that we're going to see him swarm and wrestle for 3 rounds in this fight is HIGH.

Bisping v Miller, bleh, there was a time when I would get excited to see Bisping get fucked up but nobody is going to do it better than Dan Henderson so his fights hold zero appeal to me.

Very unproven heavyweights make it to the main card just in case Duffee is the real deal? That seems dubious to me. If he wins its going to be by face smashing knockout so why not splice that in from the undercard?

Little Nog fights a shitty replacement fighter? A total waste, who hasn't been excited to see Little Nog fight the next step up in competition after he destroyed Luiz Cane?

The Diego Sanchez v undefeated kid fight could be fun. But as much as I love him Sanchez like all 155'ers has a lot of boring fights in him where lots of punches that on a tv look like they don't hurt that much are thrown and not a whole lot of substance happens.

The best fights may be the two on Spike before the ppv starts.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: May 27, 2010, 02:39:59 PM

Overall I agree with alot of what Hoax said.  I was a little depressed because I thought that the Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown fight was going to be on this card.

I love Chris Lytle.  Matt Brown is tailor made as an opponent to feed into another Lytle Fight of the Night.

Main card:

Rampage vs. Rashad -- Who the fuck knows how this fight is going to go.  Rashad will probably try to Fitch his way to victory, while Rampage looks for the KO.  Rampage used to have good wrestling, but we haven't seen it in a long time....  the Hendo fight being the last time.  Doesn't change the fact that Rashad has a much better wrestling pedigree than Rampage.

Bisping vs. Miller -- I don't like Bisping.  Dan Miller is one of those likeable everyman fighters.  I think Bisping takes this, but can hope for Miller to win.

Duffee vs. Russow -- Pretty much what Hoax said.  Duffee is getting the push for being the next big prospect at HW, so they're giving him a solid journeyman type fighter in Russow.  Russow has a good record with no big wins.

Lil Nog vs. Replacement Guy -- This was originally supposed to be Nog vs Forrest, but Forrest pulled out due to injury.  No upside for Nog in a win against an unknown, besides the payday and staying busy till he can line up a top tier fighter as an opponent.  The problem is that LHW is so deep.

Diego vs. John Hathaway -- This is actually a WW match.  Diego looks alot more dominant at WW than he does at LW.  Hathaway has some really good wins over up and comers, so this could actually be a great fight.

Spike Prelims:

Amir vs. Stun Gun -- Should be an amazingly fun fight. 

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #398 on: May 27, 2010, 03:01:43 PM

Is this Jackson's first fight since leaving/quitting to do the A-Team?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: May 27, 2010, 08:07:44 PM

Yah.  It's only been about a little over a year since the Jardine fight, though.  Rashad was KOed by Machida in that time, and his next fight was the weak performance against Thiago Silva.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #400 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:18 PM

Apparently Toney is fighting Couture at some point. That should be hilarious. Don't get me wrong, Toney was a hell of a fighter at the right weight/age/sport, but this is like grabbing Royce Gracie off the street today, making him eat cheeseburgers until he weighs 200 pounds, and then tossing him into a boxing match with... I dunno... the middle-aged version of George Foreman who could still kick ass.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

Reply #401 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:19 PM

Yah.  It's only been about a little over a year since the Jardine fight, though.  Rashad was KOed by Machida in that time, and his next fight was the weak performance against Thiago Silva.

I have a feeling Rashad's just going to be gassed about halfway through the second round after repeatedly taking down Rampage and doing nothing with it. He huffs and puffs around tossing enough leg kicks afterward to win a boring decision. 

Now that I've said that, someone's going to get knocked out in the first round.

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: June 01, 2010, 03:54:41 PM

God damn, Seanbaby cracks me up:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/worst-life-ever-the-story-of-kazuyuki-fujitas-skull/

Alistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer who looks like someone at Marvel comics drew a man genetically engineered to fuck your girlfriend.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-worst-mma-fights-of-all-time/

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva is widely regarded as the best striker to ever fight in MMA. He dodges punches like he’s in the Matrix and holding a NES Advantage. In the time it takes you to tell your foot to kick, he’s circled behind you and built a bear trap under it. It’s suicide to attack him. However, there’s one problem with being Anderson Silva: everyone knows that you’re Anderson Silva. Everyone who fights him is scared to death to get close. Let’s try to attack the problem logically.
1. Anderson Silva is waiting for you to punch him.
2. That guy is Anderson Silva.
3. Don’t fucking punch that guy

Rasix

Reply #403 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:27 AM

Those are awesome. 

Instead of throwing frantic combinations, Cro Cop likes to take his time and throw one big kick that only gets described during a eulogy. You can’t tire him out or give him a heart attack by pretending to be his soccer ball.

Do they actually expect people to pay for UFC 115? That's one dull card.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: June 02, 2010, 12:37:26 PM

I know I won't be.  Worst card (on paper) in a long time.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: June 02, 2010, 02:36:04 PM

UFC 115 looks better than 114.  Bisping bores me to tears when he isn't being KOed, and pretty meh about both Rashad and Rampage.

Main card:

* Light Heavyweight bout:  Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin
- I like this matchup.  Franklin usually has decent fights, and he doesn't have the vicious KO power that has made Chuck look like a fool.  If you've been following the UFC for a while this should be fun. 

* Heavyweight bout: Mirko Cro Cop vs. Patrick Barry
- I like Pat Barry.  Don't think he's ever going to be a top guy (too many holes in his ground game), but this should be a good kickboxing match.

* Welterweight bout: Paulo Thiago vs. Martin Kampmann
- I like both these guys.  Kampmann is a decent to good fighter, and Thiago has had some decent fights.  If Thiago wins, he'll be jostling with Fitch at the head of the pack for winner of GSP/Koscheck.

* Heavyweight bout:  Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel
- HW brawlers. 

* Welterweight bout: Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald
- This could be a great fight.  Condit had a ton of fun fights in the WEC, but hasn't been too exciting in the UFC.  MacDonald is a new fish with a perfect record over mostly nobodies.

Spike prelims:
    * Lightweight bout:  Tyson Griffin vs.  Evan Dunham
    * Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs.  Matt Wiman

Both those fights look fun.  Winner of Griffin/Dunham probably puts himself in consideration as a top guy at lightweight.  Danzig/Wiman should be decent, though it smells of a loser leave town matchup.

The regular prelims look uninspiring.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #406 on: June 02, 2010, 03:07:36 PM

UFC 115 looks better than 114.  Bisping bores me to tears when he isn't being KOed, and pretty meh about both Rashad and Rampage.

Main card:

- I like this matchup.  Franklin usually has decent fights, and he doesn't have the vicious KO power that has made Chuck look like a fool.  If you've been following the UFC for a while this should be fun. 
Chuck has been declining in ability for a while now. I realize he's still supremely popular but the UFC needs to do better than constantly trotting out (former) superstars past their prime as the main event.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #407 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:02 AM

They certainly need to stop trying to sell cards where that is the main event and there is nothing worthy of the co main event moniker.

-William Gibson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #408 on: June 13, 2010, 01:26:18 PM

I thought the Cro Cop vs. Patrick Barry fight was actually pretty good.  Would have made for a better main event than Liddell vs. Franklin.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #409 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:53 PM

- I like this matchup.  Franklin usually has decent fights, and he doesn't have the vicious KO power that has made Chuck look like a fool.
awesome, for real
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #410 on: June 13, 2010, 09:43:09 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:52 AM

Another bullshit early stoppage in the undercard. Is it really that hard to check if a guy is out before calling the fight?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: June 14, 2010, 04:47:44 PM

- I like this matchup.  Franklin usually has decent fights, and he doesn't have the vicious KO power that has made Chuck look like a fool.
awesome, for real

Heh.

Franklin still doesn't have vicious KO power.  Chuck just has no chin at all now.  Rich dropped him with an awkward right hand (Rich is a lefty) while still trying to protect his broken left arm.

The real disappointing thing?  If Chuck still had a chin, he would still be a top fighter.  He's looked pretty good in all of his fights right up until he goes down like someone hit him with a cattle-prod.

Some decent fights on this card. 
- Condit vs. Macdonald was solid.  Macdonald looked great for a 20 year old having his first big fight. Condit has always been a bit of a slow starter, but he came out like a crazy man in the third after Greg Jackson (usually Captain Calm) started yelling at him.

- Barry vs. CroCop another good fight.  Barry looked great in the first round, but has no ground game and broke both a hand and a foot in round 1. He could have a great future as the HW Chris Lytle:  never a contender, but a guy willing to go out and put on show.  Fingers crossed for Barry/Yvel!

- Thiago vs. Kampmann was solid.  Screws up the WW division some more, though.  Thiago would have cemented himself as a top three guy at WW with a win, instead Kampmann has made himself relevant to the title picture.

Even Rich and Chuck was a decent fight despite the anticlimax of the ending.

The only real dog was Yvel vs. Rothwell.  Yvel has a limited gas tank, and Rothwell is a big guy, not very athletic, in the Tim Sylvia mode. 

CroCop has announced his retirement. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:48 PM

Another bullshit early stoppage in the undercard. Is it really that hard to check if a guy is out before calling the fight?

Yves Lavigne (the guilty party this time), Dan Mirgliotta, and The Mazz seem to have a competition going of who can fuck up a match the most.  The Mazz still takes the cake.

The Mazz will alternate between stopping a fight early, and letting a guy get massacred in the ring for an extreme period of time.  The Pete Sell/Matt Brown fight might be one of the worst things I've ever seen.... 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #414 on: June 14, 2010, 05:02:21 PM

Contract ploy.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: June 15, 2010, 05:15:44 AM

Contract ploy.

Is his Pride following still so strong that he can pull off such a thing?  I mean, I love watching some of his old fights, but I've no longer any desire to see him in the octagon.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #416 on: June 15, 2010, 09:31:58 AM

Contract ploy.
Is his Pride following still so strong that he can pull off such a thing?  I mean, I love watching some of his old fights, but I've no longer any desire to see him in the octagon.
Well Zuffa shut down Pride so that's not really an option, though something like Dream may still be a possibility. My feeling, with no real evidence to back it up, is that he's still a pretty popular fighter. He's not a superstar in the UFC like he was in Pride, of course, but people do like to watch him fight since there's always that chance he's going to kick somebody's head off. He's also one of the few Europeans on the UFC roster which I think is important if the UFC wants to continue expanding in Europe. So I believe the UFC does have some incentives to try to keep him fighting for them.
Rasix

Reply #417 on: June 15, 2010, 09:43:03 AM

He'll probably go to Strikeforce.  They'll give him someone to destroy then feed him to upcoming heavy weights or guys that need an image boost.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #418 on: June 27, 2010, 12:17:02 AM

Ohohoho.

Somewhere Dana White is laughing his ass off.

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: June 27, 2010, 08:54:01 AM

Ohohoho.

Somewhere Dana White is laughing his ass off.

I think it was kind of obvious Fedor was massively overrated, at least recently.  Nothing against the man, but his fans made it very difficult to like the guy.  I'm not saying he isn't a great fighter.  I just think of him as the HW Matt Hughes:  a good/great fighter who dominated his division in a time when it was very shallow.

The internet rhetoric presented him as some combination of Chuck Norris, Muhammad Ali, Rasputin, and the terminator.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: