Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265579 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: March 28, 2010, 01:14:34 PM

Carwin is a scary dude.  Not only the power, deceptive quickness, and heavy hands.  The receding hairline, heavy brow, and pale eyes make him look like a serial killer.  He's got a real killer instinct, as well.

He still looked small next to Brock, which is disturbing.

Lesner/Carwin is provisionally set for July, with Cain getting the winner.  JDS will have another fight but gets the next shot.  God damn am I excited for the HW division. 

As for GSP:

A wrestling clinic, but where does he go from here?  Daley is exciting, but his ground game is lacking.  Fitch, Alves, and Koscheck have already fought him.  Thiago needs a couple wins, but already lost to Fitch who is GSP-lite.

There is a crop of young guys coming up, but it will be a few years.  Ellenburger, Saunders (despite the Fitch loss), John Howard, Hazelett, Anthony Johnson, etc.

Honestly, they need to find a wizard BJJ guy to fight GSP...  and even then, he could probably work the guy on the feet.  Almeida maybe, or Maia if he moves to WW (which he probably should... he's a small MW).  As much as I think the Diaz bros are idiots, give Nate a few years to grow into WW and polish his skills, or Nick right now, would be a good style matchup to give GSP fits.

Jake Shields contract with SF is up after his next fight against Hendo.  I think there are pretty good odds of Dana stealing him away.

Not many great fights on the card, but there were some great rounds.  Pellegrino/Brazilian dude, Miller/Bocek had two great rounds.  The preliminary fight after the main card was a fund back and forth brawl.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:29 PM

Not many great fights on the card, but there were some great rounds.  Pellegrino/Brazilian dude, Miller/Bocek had two great rounds.  The preliminary fight after the main card was a fund back and forth brawl.

Yes to this.  The rest of it was, unfortunately, a bit too predictable. 

I always root for Frank Mir, but yeah, not sure what he was thinking clinching up like that with Carwin.  On the other hand, maybe he didn't really have any other options.  I think Frank's problem is simply that there are too many freakishly big and powerful HWs right now, and his style just isn't matching up well with them right now.

On Shane Carwin - tale of the tape had him at 6'5" and 265 pounds.  The weigh-in proved that the 265 is accurate, but NO WAY IN HELL is that dude 6'5"...Frank Mir is only 6'3" and he was easily an inch or two taller than Carwin.  Lesnar is FAR bigger than Shane.  Seeing those two standing together...I'm just going to go ahead and call it right here - Brock is going to murder Shane.  Not to take anything away from the guy, because he is every bit the scary motherfucker you guys say he is.  But Brock is going to get his huge ass on top and just maul him.

GSP has been slowly but surely putting muscle on his body.  They are clearly working on moving him up, and I think it will be a fascinating thing to watch.  There are no WWs that having anything more than a puncher's chance against him.  Hell, that will probably prove true for most of the MWs.  Same thing is probably going to happen with BJ Penn, though style-wise I think he'll have a rougher time of it at WW.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: March 28, 2010, 03:54:35 PM

Yes to this.  The rest of it was, unfortunately, a bit too predictable. 

I always root for Frank Mir, but yeah, not sure what he was thinking clinching up like that with Carwin.  On the other hand, maybe he didn't really have any other options.  I think Frank's problem is simply that there are too many freakishly big and powerful HWs right now, and his style just isn't matching up well with them right now.

On Shane Carwin - tale of the tape had him at 6'5" and 265 pounds.  The weigh-in proved that the 265 is accurate, but NO WAY IN HELL is that dude 6'5"...Frank Mir is only 6'3" and he was easily an inch or two taller than Carwin.  Lesnar is FAR bigger than Shane.  Seeing those two standing together...I'm just going to go ahead and call it right here - Brock is going to murder Shane.  Not to take anything away from the guy, because he is every bit the scary motherfucker you guys say he is.  But Brock is going to get his huge ass on top and just maul him.

Yah, Carwin isn't 6'5", though he does stoop a fair amount where as Mir stands straight up.  There has always been some weird variance in the listed heights.  I think Big Timmy was listed at 6'11" for a while, and Anderson Silva was listed at 5'11" his first fight (same height as Leben, who he towered over). 

Carwin, according to him, was weighing in sub-265 when he started in MMA, but he probably weighed significantly more than that when he was playing football/wrestling in college and trying out for the NFL.  He has said he weighs in at over 275 in training.  Brock has said he weighs in the 290 range, before making the cut for the fight. 

Carwin has a serious chance.  He's got the quickness, power, and heavy hands to ruin Lesner's day.  If he can keep it on the feet and not get bullied against the cage.  Carwin was only a Div II wrestler, which is a big difference.  I think his standup is better than Lesner's, but both guys are sloppy.

Of anyone on paper, he looks like the biggest threat.  Cain is too small, at 240 though he looks a little "soft", though an equally decorated wrestler. JDS is a guy who would rule a 230lb division, and has scary striking, but I think he'd end up on his back eating those huge short punches that turned Mir's face into a war zone.

How good is the HW div though?  So many great potential fights.  The only thing really missing is Fedor, but I think he's going to milk his notoriety for primo paydays in SF/Dream and retire.

GSP has been slowly but surely putting muscle on his body.  They are clearly working on moving him up, and I think it will be a fascinating thing to watch.  There are no WWs that having anything more than a puncher's chance against him.  Hell, that will probably prove true for most of the MWs.  Same thing is probably going to happen with BJ Penn, though style-wise I think he'll have a rougher time of it at WW.

I do have a small interest in seeing GSP against both Fitch and Koscheck again, now that they know GSP's style.  See if they can adapt to win in the scrambles.  I'm not very excited for those matches, though.

Compared to the other divs, there just doesn't seem much excitement.  Even BJ has Florian, Maynard, and (potentially) Gomi which aren't amazing fights put are alright.  Anderson Silva has two good matches with Maia and Sonnen.  LHW may be muscial chairs, especially since there are so many great fighters.

BJ has been packing on muscle as well.  His last couple of fights he has a notably different body shape.  I personally would love for BJ to declare victory in LW and make the move, just because he would have a pile of top WWs to fight.  Love to see BJ against most of the top tier of WW minus GSP.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:54 PM

By the way, another good event tomorrow night on free TV.

Event: UFC Fight Night: "Florian vs. Gomi"
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, at 8 p.m. ET on Spike TV
Location: The Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina

Main card:

155 lbs.: Kenny Florian vs. Takanori Gomi
265 lbs.: Roy Nelson vs. Stefan Struve
185 lbs.: Nate Quarry vs. Jorge Rivera
155 lbs.: Ross Pearson vs. Dennis Siver

Under card:

155 lbs.: Cole Miller Some Brazilian Dude vs. Andre Winner
155 lbs.: Gleison Tibau vs. Caol Uno
155 lbs.: Jacob Volkmann vs. Ronnys Torres
185 lbs.: Lucio Linhares vs. Yushin Okami
170 lbs.: Charlie Brenneman vs. Jason High

A good main card.  Kenny vs Gomi should be great.  Stuve/Nelson, Quarry/Rivera, and Pearson/Siver should all be solid fights.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #354 on: March 30, 2010, 09:30:11 PM

I'd really rather see Uno v Tibau then anything besides the main event that is on the overcard.  I bet this is a great event though, UFC is due for a not so good looking card to be a really fun night of fights.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: March 31, 2010, 05:34:17 AM

I'll admit to being curious about the Nelson/Struve fight...in a packed heavyweight division, it's hard to tell where these guys fit, thought they're clearly 2nd echelon at best.  And Roy surprises me every time I see his dumb fat ass in a fight.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: March 31, 2010, 09:58:59 AM

I'll admit to being curious about the Nelson/Struve fight...in a packed heavyweight division, it's hard to tell where these guys fit, thought they're clearly 2nd echelon at best.  And Roy surprises me every time I see his dumb fat ass in a fight.

Struve is a genuine prospect, as he's only 22 and he seems to have a world of potential.  If he develops his skills, he could be a contender in a couple years.  Roy will be a reasonably entertaining mid-carder for a while.  He does have a high opinion of himself, which is funny.

I think the rumor is JDS will get Roy if Roy wins, to keep him active while Lesner, Carwin, and Velasquez sort things out. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: April 01, 2010, 05:22:27 AM

So Florian vs Gomi was utterly predictable.  They tried their damndest to talk up Gomi, but I wasn't buying it.  He didn't appear to have a clue what he was doing.  Granted, they threw him into the deep end, but no way that guy is an elite level fighter in the UFC.

Roy Nelson...he continues to surprise.  I knew there was a danger of that happening, but I didn't expect it so damn quickly.  I think they need to throw him in with a Kongo or Gonzaga next.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: April 01, 2010, 09:52:50 AM

I liked the Jorge Riviera/Quarry fight.  Jorge just has an interesting story...  He was about to retire a couple years ago after an on-and-off career when things just seemed to click for him.  Since then, he's gone out and put decent guys to sleep.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:48 AM

I liked it too, but I didn't expect it to be so one sided.  Jorge's strikes were sharp.  What?  What?

Watched TUF immediately after....looks like it may be an entertaining season.  Lots of good prelim fights.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #360 on: April 02, 2010, 03:24:56 PM

Japanese fighters w/ no steroids and refusing to cut weight will never stand any chance in the UFC sadly unless some state forces the double weigh-in system on them.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: April 02, 2010, 05:24:40 PM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #362 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:59 AM

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: April 05, 2010, 11:09:56 AM

Yep, hilarious...as are some of the other articles he wrote (linked at the bottom).

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:51 PM

Yep, hilarious...as are some of the other articles he wrote (linked at the bottom).

Those two articles had me crying.  Crying.

The fake comic advertisements with Popsicle Pete are also equal parts fucking awesome and disturbing.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: April 05, 2010, 05:02:33 PM

UFC 112:
April 10, 2010 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  Should play either live during the afternoon, or with tape delay at the normal time.

Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia
B.J. Penn vs Frankie Edgar
Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie
Terry Etim vs Rafael dos Anjos

Preliminary Card

Alexander Gustafsson vs Phil Davis
Paul Taylor vs John Gunderson
Nick Osipczak vs Rick Story
DaMarques Johnson vs. Brad Blackburn
Paul Kelly vs Matt Veach

Main card:
- Silva/Maia:  Will either be interesting if Maia can get Anderson down, or a slaughter if he can't.  The Lutter fight would seem to indicate that things should be more balanced on the ground.  Pray we don't have a Leites repeat.
- Penn/Edgar:  Edgar should get demolished.  Penn makes a domination fun to watch, though.  Penn in the third or fourth, however he wants.
- Hughes/Renzo: You will either dig watching two legends fight, or be completely uninterested by two over-the-hill non-contenders.
- Etim/dos Anjos: Etim has been on a tear, so this is likely his coming out party to becoming another Brit main eventer.

Undercard is actually pretty interesting:
- Phil Davis is a wrestler making the MMA switch, and looked pretty good in his last appearance.  His Swede opponent is undefeated but I don't know a single one of his opponents besides Hammond, who was involved in the fun brawl with Wallace last PPV.
- Paul Taylor is a usually entertaining Brit who likes to bang.
- Rick Story had a great fight against Ben Foster.  Another solid WW.
- Blackburn's record is awful, but he's a fun fighter.  Got smoked by Amir last outing.
- Kelley & Veach have both had some pretty fun and wild fights.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: April 10, 2010, 01:00:27 PM

Okay, what the FUCK was that bullshit.  What a bunch of fucking stinker fights.  I feel like Dana White just fucked me in the eye socket.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: April 10, 2010, 05:51:21 PM

Okay, what the FUCK was that bullshit.  What a bunch of fucking stinker fights.  I feel like Dana White just fucked me in the eye socket.

Ack!  Hold off until tomorrow.  I have to watch it tonight, since I was at work all day.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: April 11, 2010, 05:37:49 AM

If it isn't too late, I'd strongly encourage not buying it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:33 PM

That fight really reinforced what I hate about Anderson Silva.  Ohhhhh, I see. He's good, I get that, but he's not fucking entertaining.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #370 on: April 12, 2010, 01:48:34 PM

At the end of the day he is without a doubt the best striker in mma by such a wide margin that it just isn't even funny anymore.  Stop putting him in the ring with guys who don't stand a chance.  I blame the UFC entirely for this, they could have just postponed the fight when Belfort got hurt and Chael was not cleared by medical but instead they tried to force a 3rd string replacement who had no business being in the ring with him and the result was what it was.

I wish he would have just ended it, I know he could have, it would have given haters less to bitch about but in the end he's by far and away the #1 p4p fighter in mma and by far the most artistic and best striker in mma so I will continue to enjoy seeing just what exactly he will do next.

Every fucking leg kick (traditional, not those, hey guy fuck your knee ones) practically scored a knock down, this wasn't even a fight.

As for BJ, what a lazy fucking sack of shit Hawaiian, that fight was terrible.  Frankie Edgar has guts but I don't know he could beat Maynard or even Sanchez or fuck even Sadface Kenflo so giving him the belt in a very little damage no chance of ending the fight decision is just bleh, what a waste of a fight.

Davis needs more seasoning, Munoz is a fun beast to watch, I'm waiting for a torrent of the prelims to go up.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: April 12, 2010, 05:50:20 PM

At the end of the day he is without a doubt the best striker in mma by such a wide margin that it just isn't even funny anymore.  Stop putting him in the ring with guys who don't stand a chance.  I blame the UFC entirely for this, they could have just postponed the fight when Belfort got hurt and Chael was not cleared by medical but instead they tried to force a 3rd string replacement who had no business being in the ring with him and the result was what it was.

I wish he would have just ended it, I know he could have, it would have given haters less to bitch about but in the end he's by far and away the #1 p4p fighter in mma and by far the most artistic and best striker in mma so I will continue to enjoy seeing just what exactly he will do next.

Every fucking leg kick (traditional, not those, hey guy fuck your knee ones) practically scored a knock down, this wasn't even a fight.

The problem was that Anderson had been inactive since his August fight with Forrest at LHW....  If the UFC had postponed the fight, the MW title would have gone undefended since the Leites fight in April last year, and that came 6 months after the Cote fight. 

The fight had already been pushed back a couple times for injuries from the December/January card as well.  And through Soares (the manager), Silva had been making noises for a while that he thought there should be a MW eliminator pitting the top contenders against each other.

The UFC had to make do.  The division was getting held up.  Silva had to defend against someone.  Maia is a legitimate top 10 MW with a 6-1 record in the UFC and a slew of decent wins including Sonnen, Miller, Macdonald, and Quarry.  If not for the Marquardt loss, he would have been the obvious contender.

The Marquardt beats Maia beats Sonnen beats Marquardt nonsense confused things further, not to me

Silva is getting heat because the performance was just bizarre.  If he had finished Maia in the third or fourth, no problem.  The extreme inactivity in the last three rounds was just strange....  especially in the fifth when Maia had only one eye and was bleeding like a hemophiliac from his face.

Not to mention the over the top bowing and "respectful" gestures before and after the fight, and the clowning throughout the fight.

If you want to play the heel, fine.  Be the MW Brock Lesner.  If you think the MW division is weak and beneath you, fine.  Relinquish the belt and move up to LHW...  but he won't do that since his buddies Lil Nog and Machida are LHW.

That being said, Maia was scared shitless in there.  He was really fucking tentative, and made more so by eating huge punches when Anderson was just fooling around.

As for BJ, what a lazy fucking sack of shit Hawaiian, that fight was terrible.  Frankie Edgar has guts but I don't know he could beat Maynard or even Sanchez or fuck even Sadface Kenflo so giving him the belt in a very little damage no chance of ending the fight decision is just bleh, what a waste of a fight.

Weird fight.  BJ looked a bit slow, and he visibly slowed even more in round 4.  Edgar looked fresh after 5 rounds.  Another weird scoring, right up there with Machida/Shogun and Maynard/Diaz.  Edgar probably did edge it out, but there is no way he won 4 or 5 rounds.  There is always this disconnect between an active guy that throws alot of strikes, and a power puncher that throws fewer big strikes.

It was a point scoring bout.  Alright, but compared to the usual matches we see BJ in and the underwhelming main event...  too bad.  Makes for a much more fun LW div, though!

Florian vs Edgar for the belt, with Maynard vs BJ for the number one contender slot?  Or have BJ wreck some guys first?  Gomi rematch?  Clay Guida vs BJ?

Lot of good places this can go.

Davis needs more seasoning, Munoz is a fun beast to watch, I'm waiting for a torrent of the prelims to go up.

Munoz/Grove was a good back and forth fight, with a mix of action. 
Davis looked good.  I love the anaconda finish!  Any wrestler that picks up a sub game quickly has huge potential.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: April 12, 2010, 06:50:25 PM

Strikeforce on CBS this Saturday!

SATURDAY, APRIL 17, 2010

LIVE ON CBS

Bridgestone Arena,
Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Strikeforce Middleweight Championship
Jake Shields (No. 7 MW) vs. Dan Henderson (No. 2 MW)

Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship
Gegard Mousasi (No. 6 LHW) vs. Muhammed Lawal

Strikeforce Lightweight Championship
Gilbert Melendez (No. 8 LW) vs. Shinya Aoki (No. 2 LW, No. 10 PFP)

Zach Underwood vs. Hunter Worsham
Josh Schockman vs. Cale Yarbrough
Dustin Ortiz vs. Justin Pennington
Andrew Uhrich vs. Dustin West
Chris Hawk vs. Ovince St. Preux
Thomas Campbell vs. Cody Floyd

I bag on SF at times, but this is a pretty good main card.

Shields vs. Hendo -- Yes please!  Hendo should KO Shields.  Shields is a WW with an awful standup game and a good ground game.  Hendo has fought at LHW, has huge power, and probably has better wrestling.  Not to mention that he is a very tough man to submit...  Still a fun fight, though, unless Dan decides to play it safe like the Palhares fight.

Mousasi vs. King Mo -- Should be a good fight, but...  King Mo has huge potential but he's novice.  He should be getting eased into the game, not fed to Mousasi this early in his career.  Still, Mo is a good wrestler with great speed, and I'm not sure if Mousasi's ground work is up to that.  Basically, this is like Jon Jones fighting Machida for the title right after he beat Bonnar.

Melendez vs. Aoki -- Yah!  Great fight! 

Don't know much about the undercard guys....  usual amount of TUF rejects and noobs.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: April 12, 2010, 10:21:47 PM

Silva is getting heat because the performance was just bizarre.  If he had finished Maia in the third or fourth, no problem.  The extreme inactivity in the last three rounds was just strange....  especially in the fifth when Maia had only one eye and was bleeding like a hemophiliac from his face.

Not to mention the over the top bowing and "respectful" gestures before and after the fight, and the clowning throughout the fight.
This. After seeing that fight, I question if he has the cardio to actually go five rounds with someone who can challenge him. And if he gasses out like that at 185, what's he going to do at 170 fighting GSP?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: April 13, 2010, 05:36:33 AM

I think Dana White said that, after that bullshit, he can forget about GSP.  Although that might just be Dana letting off steam.  It's hard to say if a Silva vs GSP card would draw fewer buys after this debacle...or possibly even a lot more, as people may buy it to see Silva get taken down and wrecked by Georges.  Not that I believe that's necessarily what the outcome would be.

I don't know what BJ's problem was.  Fighting in the center of the ring with Edgar was a terrible idea.  And the hole thing sort of rings hollow - it's not like Edgar beat the stuffing out of BJ, he just out hustled him a little and threw a bunch of useless punches.  I can't help but think that this is the best thing that ever happened to Kenny Florian...because I gotta assume Dana will give a shot very soon.

Best fight of the night was actually Munoz and Kendall "the Anorexic Spider" Grove.  Kendall was technically better, but Munoz just ended up beating the tar out of him in the end.  His ground and pound is fucking scary.

Strikeforce card looks pretty sweet for once.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #375 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:28 AM

Strikeforce card does look good.

If you are curious as to what Anderson actually said during the post fight presser.  Not that any of what he said clears anything up really.  Sounds like he just didn't feel like he had to fight this guy, respect this guy or beat this guy.  In the perfect world Anderson would have a different attitude but for me, skills > attitude in a sport that is so often not fun to watch because its being performed by less talented practitioners.

-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: April 13, 2010, 11:59:47 AM

Sure, and it would have all been perfectly okay if he'd have just, you know, done a little bit of fighting and shown more of those skills.  I would have probably put up with his clowning in the first 2 rounds if he hadn't done basically absolutely nothing in the last three.  Even if I could get over the parts where he was massively disrespectful, there really wasn't much entertaining in the fight beyond a little bit of round one.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #377 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:09 PM

I really enjoyed the first two rounds as did the people I watched it with, he was masterful and it was obvious that this wasn't even going to be a fight at all.  If it had been a 3 round fight it would have been satisfying.  But sadly the 4th and 5th were what they were which was a bit too silly and embarrassing for both guys as a fan to enjoy watching.

-William Gibson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #378 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:42 PM

3 out of his last 4 fights have degenerated into uninteresting, goofy, boring fights (I know,  hard to blame Leites on him).  I don't care how much of a fanboy you are, he's becoming unmarkettable.  That's unless Dana can feed him a steady diet of "charge in fists blazing" knuckleheads he can counter punch into oblivion.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:48:52 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:58 PM

3 out of his last 4 fights have degenerated into uninteresting, goofy, boring fights (I know,  hard to blame Leites on him).  I don't care how much of a fanboy you are, he's becoming unmarkettable.  That's unless Dana can feed him a steady diet of "charge in fists blazing" knuckleheads he can counter punch into oblivion.

Yeah, pretty much this.  Shit, make him move up to heavyweight (he is already blabbering about how he wants to).  He'll have his hands full with some of those monsters, and likely get his ass knocked out once or twice.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: April 14, 2010, 09:26:16 AM

I thought the Cote fight was alright, until the unfortunate knee injury.  It was slow, but it was a chess match...  Cote has a granite chin and power in both his hands, so Anderson was more than justified in being conservative.  Cote just needed one good shot.

I still think Cote is a decent match up for Silva.  He's not dumb enough to charge in, not sloppy enough to get caught doing something stupid (Hendo), has the chin to eat a couple early, and can afford to wait for Anderson to slow down....  When Anderson slows down, he pretty much just needs to connect once to swing the whole fight.  It wouldn't be a very entertaining fight, though.

Cote also wasn't scared of Silva.  Maia and Leites were obviously shitting their pants.  One of the biggest problems now is that many fighters are fucking terrified of the guy...  Anderson has that aura of terror that prime Chuck or Fedor in Pride had.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #381 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:38 AM

IIRC Cote held up two fingers for surviving two rounds with the guy, like noone else had. That's fear, when your opponent brags about making it to round 2 against you. It isn't a good way of winning a fight.

Maybe it was round 3, and maybe it was a different guy...haha. My memory is shit.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:54 PM

IIRC Cote held up two fingers for surviving two rounds with the guy, like noone else had. That's fear, when your opponent brags about making it to round 2 against you. It isn't a good way of winning a fight.

Maybe it was round 3, and maybe it was a different guy...haha. My memory is shit.

Cote was the first guy to make it out of round 2 with Silva in the UFC, despite being a Serra-level underdog with the oddsmakers.  Most people seemed to think Cote was going to explode in a pile of bloody bodyparts somewhere in the first 30 seconds.  I don't think he was winning that fight up to round 3, but he wasn't particularly losing it either.  Anderson was tentative, and Cote was following a Dellagrotte gameplan to take Silva into the later rounds.

Cote wasn't afraid to exchange when Silva closed, and he kept in tight and didn't leave any openings.

For reference, Cote is a guy who's first UFC fight was as a last minute replacement for a fight at LHW (not his natural weightclass) with prime-2004 Tito Ortiz.  He went out and banged with Drew McFedries and Scott Smith...  both mediocre fighters, but with huge KO power.  I don't think he gives a shit about strikers or wrestlers.

Cote only looks scared against BJJ guys.  Both Lutter and Almeida he looked tentative as hell, leading to Lutter embarrassing him and a play it waaaaay too safe gameplan on Almeida.

The Cote fight is the reason the Belfort/Silva fight seems to have such potential.  Belfort has the speed, power, and striking ability to ruin Anderson's day if Silva gets sloppy or too flashy on his feet.  I bet it will be a snoozer, though...  both guys will circle each other waiting for a counter opportunity and not committing.

A Sonnen fight would be interesting because Chael talks major shit (he may be Tito/Mir/Bisping level of douchebag),  and he would have to go close the distance on Anderson to implement his gameplan.  Anderson would have opportunities to KO, and Chael would make Anderson pay on the ground if Anderson didn't KO him.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #383 on: April 15, 2010, 12:50:10 AM

This is exactly what happened, watching it live as a huge Anderson fan I thought Cote was scared as fuck and just didn't want to be near him not that he had any sort of gameplay besides move so much he couldn't be hit.  It was an interesting fight though and its too bad that it ended the way it did.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: April 18, 2010, 12:56:08 PM

Sigh, Strikeforce.

- King Mo laid and prayed to victory.  Mousassi looked.... uninspired.  They both gassed out around round 2.  Really, neither guy looked very good and it soiled Mousassi as a top LHW.  Don't get me wrong, King Mo could be amazing... but he is still way too green to be where he is now. 

- Melendez and Aoki was okay.  Aoki is famous for butt scooting and playing to the ref.  In Japan, he can get away with it.  Not the most exciting fight, but Melendez isn't dumb enough to jump into the guys guard.

- Hendo looked like Mark Coleman.  Old, stiff, slow and gassing early.  Great first round, and then nothing.  Shields was way too quick for him.  Shields also isn't the most exciting fighter.

- The brawl.  I turned off the show half way through round 5, because I knew the fight was going to decision.  I guess Mayhem Miller jumped onto the microphone to generate some heat for a rematch with Sheilds (obviously staged...  SF got him in the ring, showed clips for his fight earlier, and need a little heat to sell the next big CBS card) when all of Shields teammates swarmed on him.

Namely the Diaz brothers and Melendez.  Fucking Christ.

Will be interesting to see how things settle out.  Besides the question of what happens to the CBS contract after 3 unexciting fights and a in-ring brawl.

- Hendo came for a giant paycheck, and he looked like shit.  It may be that SF severely overpaid for him.  A fight against Lawler or Smith or Cung Le would be fun, but it isn't exactly worth whatever they're paying him.
- Shields is a free agent, and he has been vocal about not being happy with the way SF has been treating him.  He's the champ, and he's been playing second banana in the promotional material to Hendo's debut.  There is a good chance that either the UFC will sign him.  Or at least bid him up so SF is shelling out a huge amount of money for a guy who isn't a great draw.
- Melendez has no one to fight, unless Dream sends over another top LW to get creamed in the cage.  Not to mention he started the Mayhem brawl, so it will be interesting to see if he catches some kind of suspension.
- King Mo started taunting the crowd after his fight.  Another case of "who will he fight next?", with a side of Brock Lesner shenanigans. 
- Mousassi was getting plugged as a top LHW/MW and looked completely uninspired the last three rounds. 

Dana White must be laughing his ass off at home.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: