Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265596 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #630 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:00 AM

Mike Tyson became one of the most popular boxers ever by doing the same thing- beating the fuck out of people as quickly as he could. Not all his fights were short, but there were quite a few of them. Before he got caught a'rapin'.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #631 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:24 AM

Mike Tyson became one of the most popular boxers ever by doing the same thing- beating the fuck out of people as quickly as he could. Not all his fights were short, but there were quite a few of them. Before he got caught a'rapin'.

Most of those short fights were before he got into the big time feeding frenzy. When he was winning and retaining Heavyweight titles, only 2 of the 11 fights went 1 round, and he then lost to Buster Douglas in 10 rounds. The first Holyfield fight and loss went 11 rounds. He wasn't unbeatable, but I think it shows more of the competition. As Tyson advanced even though he was very dominating, things got harder and he rose to the occasion.

With Rousey she's already at the top end and there's literally nothing they can throw at her as a woman. Her only option now is to cross the sex barrier and fight men. It's not really the same thing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: August 03, 2015, 12:12:24 PM

The flyweight matches are always more exciting than the heavyweights. Girls are usually super duper fly. (and mean!)

- Viin
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: November 15, 2015, 12:30:45 AM

Well, holy shit.  Ronda Rousey just got KTFO'd by Holly Holm, whoever that is.  Probably the biggest upset in MMA history.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2589439-rousey-vs-holm-results-winner-recap-and-reaction-from-knockout-at-ufc-193
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:33:38 AM by Ginaz »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: November 15, 2015, 12:50:20 AM

Yeah, I'm fairly shocked.  And this will probably sound sexist as hell, but I really dislike seeing a woman ktfo'd like that.  And it was no fluke either, she got her ass handed to her from the opening bell.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: November 15, 2015, 06:46:54 AM

I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about MMA or boxing, so I'm basically just repeating what is on the front page of espn.com, but apparently it's a bad idea to get into a boxing match with a boxer when you aren't a boxer.  You tend to get punched in the face a lot.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #636 on: November 15, 2015, 07:30:20 AM

I am pretty OK with Ronda losing and losing the way she did. The sport seems more level this morning on the women's side. That said, I really did think it would get out of the 1st round, but no way did I think she'd get knocked out.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: November 15, 2015, 08:56:49 AM

Well, now I care about this division again. I knew Holly was Ronda's first real threat since Miesha, but wasn't sure she had enough MMA experience to get the job done.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #638 on: November 15, 2015, 10:29:19 AM

All the things being said about Holly have to be taken with caution. She is really good, and she definitely put up a masterful performance, but let's not forget that she was already a World Boxing champ when she almost lost to Raquel Pennington a year ago in a 100% stand up match. Sure, there's nothing like "almost lost", but she got a split decision and plenty of people didn't agree with that. And Raquel is a good striker but definitely not elite. So, clearly Holm is way ahead of everyone else when it comes to striking in the Women Bantamweight scene, but MMA is more than that and what decided tonight's fight so early is not *just* her skills but also a dumbified version of Ronda that lost her mind before the fight even started, as seen in the weigh-in scrap. Not only Ronda didn't look that healthy, but she clearly couldn't adapt (and no one from her corner told her to), when for the first time ever an opponent didn't crumble under her pressure. Instead, she kept rushing in as a school bully that can't believe McFly hasn't knocked himself out yet. Ronda was very mentally weak last night, and for that I am sure a million reasons will come up in the next few weeks (Her coach possibly going to jail, her mom publicly hating on him, her romantic life being under scrutiny for having admitted to a relationship with an alleged domestic abuser, etc..).

Anyway, yeah now I care about the division again, too. I like Ronda for lots of reasons, but I dislike her for another good number. I am glad that there are going to be meaningful fights again in this division, but I am sorry because I feel that she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown before the fight and now she will probably lose herself for good. I wouldn't be surprised if she retired after this, like Gina Carano did after losing to Cyborg. Clearly she is a TERRIBLE loser and I am not sure she can face the idea of that ridicule happening to her again. Chances are she will have nightmares about this fight (and al the iconic pictures and .gifs from it) for the rest of her life.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: November 15, 2015, 03:30:52 PM

Maybe karma for acting like a complete douchebag? Not even tapping fists before the bout. Suck it Rousey.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: November 15, 2015, 06:43:26 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #641 on: November 16, 2015, 10:45:07 AM

I am happiest about the way this has silenced idiots who were suggesting Rousey needed to fight men for there to be any competition.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #642 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:21 PM

Heh. 13 seconds.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: December 12, 2015, 11:34:21 PM

Heh. 13 seconds.

I'd hate to be someone who paid $60 for that Vine video.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: December 13, 2015, 04:00:41 AM

While exciting, I am disappointed that it ended so soon.  I don't think it gives a fair accounting of how these guys match up.  Or maybe it did, but I would have rather seen it over a couple of rounds.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #645 on: December 16, 2015, 12:13:16 PM

Same can be said of when Rousey beat Cat Zingano.  Just the nature of the sport.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:29 PM

Maybe.  I think with Rousey vs Zingano, it was more of a question of just how long it was going to take Rousey to rip Cat's arm off.  With Aldo vs McGregor, there was plenty of reason to be in doubt of who might even win the fight.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: March 05, 2016, 10:59:31 PM

So Connor got choked the fuck out. He needs to go watch fucking Rocky IV to see what showboating leads to.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: March 06, 2016, 02:14:30 PM

He was fighting two weight classes above his own against an opponent he hadn't trained for. It really shouldn't hurt his career much because he was never going to be 170 champ; he's too small.

The bigger upset was Holly losing to Miesha; now we'll have to see Miesha v Ronda again again again before we get the Holly v Ronda rematch.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: March 08, 2016, 09:32:47 AM

The jumping up weight divisions is a lame excuse, that guy had some heart to stay in the fight. McGregor is fairly mediocre on the mat, but great fighter on his feet. Diaz had a gameplan and it worked.

I find McGregor crude, disrespectful and a loudmouth, not a good representative of my country. I'm glad someone sorted him out, Nate Diaz might not be the brightest tool but at least he carries himself with some dignity.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: March 08, 2016, 10:53:53 PM

Nate Diaz carries himself with dignity? Okay.  I mean, he amuses the hell out of me, but I think that is the last word I would have associated with him.

And for the permanent record:  Man oh man do I love me some Miesha Tate.  I loved how that ended, and good for her.  Too bad that this will probably only end up with her getting her arm torn off by Rousey later in the year.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: March 09, 2016, 12:24:13 AM

I think its ass backwards that Tate has to fight Rousey instead of fighting the winner of Rousey vs Holms. Injuries and all its still not right for Rousey to take a year hiatus only to walk right into a title fight.

McGregor keeping his hands up would have won the fight. That 1-2 to the face unguarded had him stumbling like a frat boy after 9 coronas. I highly doubt he was all there, if not just straight up losing consciousness with his body just reacting to sight and sounds. Even his attempted take down was robotic and if Diaz wasn't afraid of McGregor's heavy hands this would have been a really bloody finish cause he was barely reacting to Diaz jabs after that point.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: March 09, 2016, 02:39:12 AM

Nate Diaz carries himself with dignity? Okay.  I mean, he amuses the hell out of me, but I think that is the last word I would have associated with him.

Yeh, I admit I have a limited view of him. Just judging on the interviews I saw between them, Diaz came across as the one who wanted to just get in the ring and not spend his whole time shit talking his opponent and bigging up how much money he brings per fight, so in that sense I found he carried himself well.

McGregor keeping his hands up would have won the fight. That 1-2 to the face unguarded had him stumbling like a frat boy after 9 coronas...

I guess his cockiness got the better of him.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:22:22 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: March 09, 2016, 05:12:00 AM

No doubt Nate comes to fight.  But you can actually search and find pictures of him flipping the double bird to his opponent DURING actual fighting action.  Or in full celebration mode WHILE choking out his opponent via triangle.  I'm not judging, I find it hilarious.  And then you get things like this in the post fight interview:

Joe Rogan:  "Nate, a lot of people are surprised about XYZ in this fight, did anything suprise you about blah blah blah?"
Nate Diaz (to the crowd):  "I wasn't surpised, motherfuckers!"

His fight with Donald Cerrone is worth watching simply for all the middle fingers being displayed back and forth.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: March 09, 2016, 05:43:58 AM

Nate Diaz certainly talks as much shit as Conor; the worst thing about this fight is that we missed the months of glorious trash talk we would have gotten if this was a scheduled event instead of a last minute replacement.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:20 AM

Hah ok thanks for enlightening me, not sure whether my respect for him has gone up or down based on those insights.

The trashtalking that I did see was Jerry Springer guest level of witty repartee, perhaps the short build up actually did us a favour.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: December 31, 2016, 12:48:40 AM

Nice of Rousey to present her face for pummeling.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #657 on: December 31, 2016, 09:52:48 PM

I wish sports betting was legal (or at least easier to do). I would have loaded up on Nunes. She is a goddamned beast.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: January 01, 2017, 06:18:00 AM

It's not? They advertise the hell out of Vegas odds on sherdog.com (MMA news site) so I assumed it was.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: August 23, 2017, 10:49:19 PM

So Jon Jones, fresh off his suspension and re-claiming of the LHW title, gets popped again.  This fucking guy.  For any of you who don't follow the sport, he is widely regarded as the best fighter on the planet and perhaps in all of history.  So literally the guy who can kick everyone else's ass, ever.  But he is also a giant fuck-up.  I was willing to ignore some of the past shit in trade for some great entertainment - because there is no denying that he has been fun to watch in the octagon - but enough is enough.  What a fucking retard.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: August 23, 2017, 11:30:25 PM

Read the news a while back, it feels good every time they catch a cheater. You can't claim a simple mistake or that you had no idea that the supplement had doping substances in it when you get caught a second time.

Like a bunch of others his career was built on a lie.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: August 24, 2017, 12:59:21 AM

And it's a damn shame, because he probably didn't need to do it at all to be one of the best, and I suspect he might not have been doing it early in his career.  Unfortunately, I suspect that most of his opponents (including DC) are doing it too, so for some reason he feels he needs to do it to?  I don't know...there is a whole science around not getting caught doing the juice.  His camp of "nutritionists" are just failing at the science.

I think he's a bit like Tiger Woods as well.  Tiger ruined his career and his life because of his vanity.  Not content with being the best golfer and most talked about human on the planet, the dude decided he needed to bulk up and get ripped.  No idea if drugs were involved (probably), but that was beside the point.  He wanted to look great and screw everything on two legs.  His game took a nosedive as a result, but his personal vanity became more important to him.  Jones is the same kind of ego and in a very similar position.  Started powerlifting and getting all swollen and shredded.  Maybe it became addictive to him and it led him to take risks with drugs that had little to do with his fighting.

I don't know.  The drug use itself I am a little ambivalent about, because I assume almost all of them are doing it.  But getting caught repeatedly makes you look like a retard, and makes all the other cheaters who manage to pass their piss tests look like saints when they are in reality probably just as guilty.  And more to the point, the whole thing robs us of one of the most amazing fighting talents of all time.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: August 24, 2017, 04:06:28 AM

Fuck him. One of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport, but one of the worst pound for pound human beings. After the coke and the hit-and-run, he's shown time and again he has no interest in acting like an adult.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:34 AM

I think he's a bit like Tiger Woods as well.  Tiger ruined his career and his life because of his vanity.  Not content with being the best golfer and most talked about human on the planet, the dude decided he needed to bulk up and get ripped.  No idea if drugs were involved (probably), but that was beside the point.  He wanted to look great and screw everything on two legs.  His game took a nosedive as a result, but his personal vanity became more important to him.  Jones is the same kind of ego and in a very similar position.  Started powerlifting and getting all swollen and shredded.  Maybe it became addictive to him and it led him to take risks with drugs that had little to do with his fighting.

There was a really good article about what went wrong with Tiger and it's a bit more complicated (and weirder) than that. Part of it was with the death of the Dad he developed this obsession with the military and spent a lot of time hanging out with Navy SEALS, ex SF guys,  training etc and that totally fucked up his body.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:49 AM

Yeah, that was sorta what I was referring to.  I think he prioritized those things because they filled some hole in his life, and he did it more or less willingly at the expense of his golf game.  Which is fine if that's what he wants to do, but seems strange that he basically threw away what he had.  All the people analyzing what was wrong with his game, when the answer was right in front of their stupid faces.  A swole Tiger was never going to hit the ball like a lithely built one, and then it just spirals downhill from there as it would eventually take his mental game with it.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: