Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:33:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Urban Dead - Monroeville 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urban Dead - Monroeville  (Read 132804 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: July 08, 2008, 02:41:28 PM

Urban Dead has a "hardcore" server!

This happened a few months ago but I only just now heard about it after logging in to see if there were any changes to the game.  If you, like me, played Urban Dead for a while and wandered off because the game world felt too static, COME BACK.

The hardcore server is called "Monroeville," after the town that Diary of the Dead is set in.  (It was launched to celebrate the release of that movie.)  Here are the differences between Monroeville and Malton:

1. There are no Necrotech buildings.  NONE.
2. New player registration is limited to a certain window of time.  (One more week for the current iteration.)
3. After new player registration closes, a headshot means your zombie is permanently out of the game.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS squee

(edit) Newbies and/or wusses who don't like permadeath should try the original server first.

(edit again) Monroeville profile links for those who want to be able to recognize each other in the zombie hordes:
Samwise
Lantyssa
Aez
Mrbloodworth
NiX
Rattran
Viin
craan
Jerrith
Lorekeep
Triforcer
Threash
Snee
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:21:06 PM by schild »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:45:19 PM

Oh man.  This is fantastic.  I'd maxed out two zombies, and yeah, got bored, wandered away - this'll totally bring me back.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:29 PM

Since your last turn:

* Tavish McGarrow killed a zombie. (14 seconds ago)

You maul RattranF13 for 2 damage. They drop to 48 HP.

HAY RATTRAN IM IN UR HOSPITAL EATIN UR BRAINZ

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:45 PM

RattranF13 - Level 1 Civilian

God damn gankers!  awesome, for real

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:44 PM

I'm doing him a favor.  Once we fix that pesky brain problem he can join the superior zombie team.

schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:30:48 PM

I wish I could wrap my brain around how to play this game. I guess I can wait til The Last Man though ^_^
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:58:17 AM

Giving it a try.  Please don't eat me.  I'm too pretty ditzy to be of any nutritional value.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

You bastard :(

XP is much much slower for zombies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:06:49 PM by rattran »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:08:16 PM

What the crap, I log out at a safe house with a ton of other people, and I come back to find that several of them shot me to death then dumped my body in the street.

Game is neat, but it's pretty fucking retarded that they let the other players just team kill who ever they want with no problem.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:37:14 PM

What the crap, I log out at a safe house with a ton of other people, and I come back to find that several of them shot me to death then dumped my body in the street.

Game is neat, but it's pretty fucking retarded that they let the other players just team kill who ever they want with no problem.

No its not.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:50:13 PM

Yes it is.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 02:16:35 PM

Yes it is.
Have you ever SEEN a zombie movie? It doesn't make me want to play the game, and I never have, but for folks who want genre accuracy there's absolutely nothing wrong with what happened there.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 03:15:13 PM

Yeah, accept the saved dialog I saw when I logged back in was something like this:

Person 1: Shoots you for 4 damage, Shoots you for 4 damage, Shoots you for 4 damage.
Person 2: "Hey Teleku, mind if we shoot/heal each other?" (I am of course, not logged in at this point).
Person 3: Shoots you for 4 damage, shoots you for 4 damage.
Person 2: Shoots you for 4 damage, shoots you for 4 damage.
Person 4: Shoots you for 4 damage, shoots you for 4 damage, shoots you for 4 damage.
Person 1: Shoots you for 4 damage.

You die.

Person 1: Dumps your body in the street.

Genre accuracy.

Ohhhhh, I see.

-Stephen Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:05:47 PM

That was fun.  Zombie breaks down the barricade and kills me.  Yay.  Guessing this hardcore game isn't going to last long.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 06:14:58 AM

That was fun.  Zombie breaks down the barricade and kills me.  Yay.  Guessing this hardcore game isn't going to last long.

I don't think it was meant too. Seems to just be an event.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 06:24:01 AM

Exhausted, you can go no further.
Your IP address has accessed this server too many times today.

In order to keep the server running smoothly and to prevent multi-character abuse, players are only allowed to hit the Urban Dead site 160 times from a single machine (or IP address), per day. Either:-

you've used your limit up yourself,
you're sharing a computer or a network with someone who's used up the IP address's limit, or
you're using an ISP (such as AOL) that reuses a very small range of IP addresses.
See the FAQ for a fuller explanation of this, and some workarounds if it's your ISP's problem.

Hmmmmm, well I guess they have some kinda issue with me playing from my work. There must be other slackers here playing Zombie games!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 07:38:50 AM

Exhausted, you can go no further.
Your IP address has accessed this server too many times today.

In order to keep the server running smoothly and to prevent multi-character abuse, players are only allowed to hit the Urban Dead site 160 times from a single machine (or IP address), per day. Either:-

you've used your limit up yourself,
you're sharing a computer or a network with someone who's used up the IP address's limit, or
you're using an ISP (such as AOL) that reuses a very small range of IP addresses.
See the FAQ for a fuller explanation of this, and some workarounds if it's your ISP's problem.

I have run into this while playing as well, and suspected the same thing.

Hmmmmm, well I guess they have some kinda issue with me playing from my work. There must be other slackers here playing Zombie games!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 01:40:42 PM

Those playing should post profile links here.  Here's me.  (Having people in your contacts list lets you recognize each other as zombies.)

I lasted slightly under ten hours as a survivor, but then I think playing as a zombie is more fun anyway.   ZombieSigne

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 01:55:07 PM

I haven't played before, but figured I'd try this round out. Profile Here.

Edit: Does setting your group do anything other than just show up in your profile?

- Viin
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 02:17:28 PM

Group affiliation makes you show up differently for the zombie skills "Feeding Groan" and "Scent Death".  A feeding groan that came from a member of your group will sound "familiar" to you, and the "scent death" radar (image) will show you where group members are.

I don't think it does anything for any of the survivor skills, but I'm not positive about that.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 07:44:00 PM

Okie, my profile.  I wish I knew beforehand the name couldn't be reused in the other city.  I'd rather make this a permanent character name.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 08:40:13 PM

Rumor has it that at some point characters in Monroeville will be automatically migrated over to Malton (before Monroeville is either reset or removed completely).

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 12:05:17 AM

Oh hell, I'm going to have to give this a go. I'll post my profile when I get home from work and get set up.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 01:23:28 AM

I have to stay aliiive.

Part of that involves not telling anybody where you are.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 09:38:35 AM

http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=1305567

I typed f13 for my group if anyone is interested.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 09:47:33 AM

Wow, this looks so hard.  I wasted all my AP walking through a zombie infested field, I barely managed to reach an house and close the door.  Haha, can't wait to be a zombie I guess...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:55:17 AM by Aez »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 09:58:12 AM

I'm in a strongly barricaded fire station with 60 other survivors...and zombies closing in from the west.  ZombieSigne

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 04:21:52 PM

I swung at Haemish101 once to let him know he is loved... for his brains. DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 08:41:52 PM

I must've created about a dozen characters just trying to have a good "start".  Finally found one that had a barricaded hospital that wasn't ruined and had supplies.  That'll do.  I picked Consumer.  I could have probably gone military and whacked some people up but eh.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:38 AM

I haven't killed anyone yet, but I have destroyed two generators and dented a radio.  I'm a luddite zombie.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 08:42:10 AM

I started right to the freaking woods. I feel more like a ranger than a consumer. But the zombies should beware the day I find a shopping mall.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 09:20:01 AM

I must've created about a dozen characters just trying to have a good "start".  Finally found one that had a barricaded hospital that wasn't ruined and had supplies.  That'll do.  I picked Consumer.  I could have probably gone military and whacked some people up but eh.
I just fled into a building to find Lorekeep1 hiding in there with me.  awesome, for real

Dear fucking god its hard to gain experience in this game.  Swing/Miss endlessly.  Also, almost every single building in the game seems to be ruined now, so it makes searching for supplies even harder.

-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 09:45:33 AM

I just died.  A Lv. 27 Zombie found me and ate the hell out of me.

This server would have been fun with a reset.  Instead, Lv. 1's are bait for all the high level zombies running around.

BTW: You better log in.  That hospital was broken down and zombies were pretty much clawing there way in.

Sucks as I had 6 FAK's on me for 30 potential experience.  But I went the wrong way I guess.

I wish I could delete characters.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:49:34 AM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 10:07:15 AM

Think I must have jumped in with one of your alts (if it is even you).  It's just me and Lorekeep1 in a rotting hotel together.  awesome, for real

And yeah, I wish I could delete my fucking characters.  Want the name back on some.  I keep taking my zombie telekuF13 and leaving him in front of buildings with survivors.  I keep coming back to find him beaten to death, but nobody seems to be able to actually kill me.  I just stand up again.  Maybe somebody will actually kill me on this "hardcore" server. Ohhhhh, I see.

-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:31 AM

Ah, Bob the Accountant.  I came from a hospital that was being breached.  I thought these police stations might be good but I went to the wrong one.

Survivors can't kill you unless they have the Headshot ability at Lv. 10.  Getting to Lv. 10 is kinda tricky if you're dead on your first day from uber-powered zombies.

I don't want to create Lorekeep2 - Lorekeep27 ...

Edit: Fuck me, I want this to work. SE corner of Newton doesn't seem to be too bad.  Found another hospital with plenty of survivors.  If I can get 40 medical kits and Diagnosis before it falls I should be OK.

Edit 2: This run is going better...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:14:14 AM by Lorekeep »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Urban Dead - Monroeville  
Jump to: