Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:45:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Etrian Odyssey II - Atlus - Nintendo DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey II - Atlus - Nintendo DS  (Read 4206 times)
schild
Administrator

on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:26 PM

If you played and liked the original, stop reading and buy it. It's more of the same, just as awesome. Otherwise, read on.

EO II is, like its predecessor, an old-school dungeon crawling RPG. You form a party of 5 from 12 different classes and venture into a labyrinth to find a castle in the sky. The plot is weak, but stays mostly out of the way in your quest to whack foozles for xp. The feature that sets the EO games apart is the mapping feature. On the bottom screen of the DS, you map out the dungeon as you progress. For those of us who remember doing this with pen and paper, the feeling of nostalgia is amazing.

Also just like the good old days, this game is HARD. Trash mobs will kill you, often, if you're not careful. Money is always short; upgrading your characters' gear is a trade off, a game of "who's more important?" rather than just "oh look, new shinies for everyone and we're still rolling in cash." The bosses range in difficulty from 'Hard' to 'So impossible the game tells you to avoid them like the plague'. Seriously: there are bosses that you are simply not intended to fight when you encounter them. To me this makes the game feel like you're really in a dangerous world that's greater than you; its reminiscent not just of old school RPGs but also D&D.

If you love hard or old school RPGs, Buy It.
If you like mashing X through combat to get to the pretty graphics and deep story, Stay Away.

-

Sent in by Rendakor.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:45:28 AM

The only reason it's not in my hands right now is that I'm still stuck on B16 of the original.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:47:11 AM

Level 2 of EO2 has 4 rooms, each when a FOE. Sigh.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:16 AM

Awesome, the sequel is even harder.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:04:52 AM

Easily.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:00:04 AM

The interesting thing about FOEs this time is that most of them don't "aggro" they just have a specific pathing, which you can avoid. I can't remember if this was the case more often than not in the first one.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:49 AM

It varied in the first one.  Most of the time they had a patrol route but would charge you when they spotted you.  Some, like the ants, would only attack if you got in their way.

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:34 AM

There seems to be many more types of FOEs this time too.  I'm color blind and have a hard time with blue/purple for some reason but I swore I saw a purple one on level 2.

I'm having a real tough time keeping the money flowing in this one.  I didn't bother with a farm team in the original but it looks like I may have to in 2.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Etrian Odyssey II - Atlus - Nintendo DS  
Jump to: