Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 3796 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: June 19, 2008, 01:53:50 AM

So a little earlier I read issue #2 of the new Guardians of the Galaxy book that spun-out of the Annihilation stuff.  For a little reference here, I really like the first Annihilation story which had a group of cosmic heroes facing off against Annihilus.  Conquest I was somewhat less fond of at first.  Giffen has never really achieved "superstar" status as a comic writer, but he's still a tough act to follow and Abnett and Lanning got themselves off to a rocky start with the D-list X-Men villains the Phalanx as the bad guys.

It came together towards the end though once they really got their cast of heroes together, and it's that same team they use effectively in the new Guardians book.  For the record, that cast is comprised of half the former Infinity Watch with Warlock, Drax, and Gamora, as well as Rocket Raccoon more or less taking over Pip's role as the comic relief, Star-Lord, Mantis, and Phyla-Vell continuing her role as the new Quasar.  Issue #2 also brings in a cast member from the original Guardians of the Galaxy although it remains to be see if he's a permanent addition.

It's a well written book, heavy on the humor (although never reaching the levels Peter David, or even some of Dan Slott's best stuff), but with a good mix of action and characterization as well.  I like seeing these teammates interact, and so far they haven't sunk to the soap opera level of drama a lot of team books fall into.  They aren't all the best of friends and few of them are enthusiastic about being responsible for protecting the Universe (essentially they're stuck doing it because someone has to), but the writing team is gets the point across humorously whenever possible.

Worth reading if you're looking for something a little bit different than the rest of Marvel's output.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:19:45 PM

I'm enjoying this book a lot, along with Nova.  I have a soft spot for Nova because I remember reading it from issue #1 from its very first run, but truthfully, it's always sucked pretty badly, with a few shining exceptions. Not to mention that the character is a Green Lantern retread, something I never copped to when I was a wee lad reading the original run. But it's finally a really good book, and the first successful "cosmic" level storytelling Marvel has done in a very long time that hasn't just been a bad imitation of Starlin (or Starlin badly imitating himself).
TenaciousMike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:42:43 PM

You forgot Groot!

___

Tenacious Mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  
Jump to: