Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Punisher: Warzone 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Punisher: Warzone  (Read 9091 times)
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

on: June 18, 2008, 05:49:21 AM

Trailers up.

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=13458

I don't know what to think yet.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:29:40 AM

Meh.  I'll rent.

Also, this forum is officially FRENZIED.

Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:48:08 AM

I like the action, but I'm not sure about Ray Stevenson's voice. It sounds like it's artificially deepened or something, and it bugs me. I need to see more.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:05:21 AM

I like the action, but I'm not sure about Ray Stevenson's voice. It sounds like it's artificially deepened or something, and it bugs me. I need to see more.

Agree +1

Though the spinning from the ceiling bit was a bad call, it just makes me think of Boondock Saints.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:38 AM

As long as its not another Punisher movie with a buddy sitcom part in the middle they can deepen his voice if thats the price I have to pay.

Would prefer if they didn't, though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:31 AM

Which Punisher movie had a buddy sitcom in it?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:30:59 AM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330793/

You know, the part in the middle with the Punisher and his neighbors. I didn't say it was FUNNY, it just broke the mood.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:48:13 AM

Uh, that was taken from the greatest Punisher comic ever (Welcome Back, Frank). Probably the only "authentic"/close to the source material bit about that film (well the characterizations were off, but it was the same idea).

Really, that might be the reason why I think that film kicks ass. The neighbors are funny, Rebecca is hot as usual, Frank's cold demeanor is funny in it's own right -- and it all eventually leads to that fucking fantastic fight scene between him and the Russian (also from Welcome Back).

It's the rest of the movie that's hard to get into, I'd say. Travolta was so lame.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:59:33 AM

It was jarring and felt extremely off. But of course I grant you that this could be the only good part and it felt so disjointed because the rest was crappy.

It just felt like one movie at the beginning and the end, and a completely different movie in the middle. Which irritated me to a point where I can remember little else from that movie experience.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 02:09:15 AM

Gotcha. Probably my biggest problem with it is, as i said, Travolta. For one, he sucks at playing villains (Battlefield, Broken Arrow, Sword Fish, Face Off..the list goes on). And two, he probably sucked half of the budget of the film, thus forcing the director to locate to TAMPA BAY of all places (which imo takes a lot away from what kind of story you can tell, what kind of people Frank is up against, etc..).

Damn, I had to look up that Russian clip up. Watching it again makes me not want to see this one now. Tom Jane was perfect for the role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVlpET6nzVs
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:03:24 AM

It was jarring and felt extremely off. But of course I grant you that this could be the only good part and it felt so disjointed because the rest was crappy.

That's exactly the way I felt about the neighbors in the Punisher. In relation to the rest of the movie, it felt completely out of place.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:29:37 AM

No dangit. Say what he said. The rest of the movie felt out of place with the neighbors. Not the other way around. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Seriously... The fire hydrant, Travolta, Tampa Bay. Weak.

Anything to do with neighbors, and where the neighbors were part of the scenery: It shoulda been more of that. Russian. Cool Johnny Cash hitman dude. Spacker Dave. Rebecca Romijn. Frank solo leveling a bottle of Wild Turkey. Ennis inspired morbid humor. All good.

Probably the only standout parts to not do with the neighbors:

1) Death of Travolta. Ridiculous, but pretty awesome.

2) "Vaya con Dios. Go with God, Frank."

"God's going to sit this one out."

[edit] It should be said though that Welcome Back Frank was along the same lines. Ennis wanted to portray him from both sides of the fence, and how different people reacted to him -- the guy who had neighbors. And the guy who was out and about killing off the Gnucci family.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:35:48 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:13:37 AM

The problem with your thesis is that the neighbors bit was so small in comparison to the rest of the shit sandwich that was the movie that it did feel out of place. Travolta didn't kill it by himself, though his part was truly awful. There was a lot wrong with the movie, and by the time the neighbors rolled around, there wasn't much to save it. I didn't find myself wanting more of the neighbors, I found myself wondering why the fuck it was in this stupid movie.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 06:45:42 PM

My problem with the last Punisher movie was that The Punisher character was some sort of clever espionage / inspector guy rather than an ass-kicker. Too much trickery. I don't want my Punisher to out-think people, I want him to shoot them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 07:03:07 PM

Eh, if he did that, he'd get killed. Or if he doesn't get killed, it doesn't make his opponents very interesting.

I won't say that the movie got it right, but generally speaking, he's a lot more creative than just coming in blastin'. He always has the odds stacked against him, and so has to think of some crazy ass ways to take people out (and the best writers were the ones who were sick enough to tap into the comedy potential there).

Besides that, his military history was in spec ops, sniping, and recon. Not rambo'ing.

I think the funniest testament to him being such a devious prick is that Daredevil, Spider-Man, AND Wolverine couldn't take him out when they teamed up. He'll win the fight (or make it a waste of time) in more indirect ways.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:13:58 PM by Stray »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:46:20 PM

Yeah devious is good but in the movie he felt like a generic clever guy rather than a bad-ass who is also tricky.

The main character tricks all the bad guys into fighting each other is something I expect when the main character is a wheelchair-bound kid genius. I mean it felt like that resolution would be at home in any movie or any hour-long TV show.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40:37 PM

I just wish that the fight scene with the Russian could have been choreographed a bit closer to the scene as it was in the comic.  Course, it would have been rather politically incorrect to off the big guy by smothering him with a fat man.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 07:41:45 AM

I finally saw the Punisher movie, ( I got it at Target for $10) I actually enjoyed it. It was at least better than Electra and Daredevil and I found myself less disgusted after watching it then I did after Spiderman 3. I got the extended cut, whatever that entails. It was a fun flick. Not too shabby, not too great, but a fun little popcorn flick.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Punisher: Warzone  
Jump to: