Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 01:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wallpaper removal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wallpaper removal  (Read 9944 times)
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 09:14:02 AM

Sorry, that must have been my California acting up again.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 09:28:02 AM

Have I mentioned I really really dislike the kid (well, 33) who owned the house for the last three years? Fucking lazy clueless fuck.

I can't say I've ever met someone who actually had happy feeling toward the previous owner of their house.  Everyone seems to buy from Mr. Half Ass.  awesome, for real

That said, your experience is the worst I've heard.  Even the old owner living in the garage for three weeks story wasn't quite as bad as "Uh, 'sit OK if I wash this last load of clothes dude?"

Witty banter not included.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 10:28:39 AM

In the washer I just scheduled for repair because it smells like satan's anus despite running several tubs of bleach through it...
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 10:51:09 AM

The 60ish woman who lived in my condo left me two blouses in the bedroom closet. I'm also afraid to find out why the underlay is crunchy in one spot in the living room.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 10:55:04 AM

I found a few teeth in a drawer.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 04:47:37 PM

Man, I got nothing. Worst I've seen is what's being fixed on Tuesday. Someone thought it was a good idea to run the water pipe directly on top of the electrical box. I probably wouldn't notice it had the 100 amp service being entirely inadequate for our power needs anyway.

Quote from: Selby
Just because you do a walk-thru doesn't mean the old owner isn't going to shit all over the place in their rush to move out.
And that's why there's lawyers smiley I love the "shitty mcshit cheap shit" description though. Been there with the "favors" too. "Hey, here's some old garden tools that haven't been used in three generations." Thanks! Seriously though, my real estate agent kicks all sorts of ass, won all sorts of rewards in this part of the state, and most importantly, knows a whole fuckton of people. It's why we've worked with her. I don't care what the fee is for any of the people she recommends. Whenever I've had a problem, and whenever anyone I've referred her to has had one, we sic her on the issue. Luck maybe. I dunno. She was referred to me too. Maybe a pay it forward.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 09:21:30 PM

It wasn't corn, but we had a palm tree trying to grow in the gutters when I moved in.  I don't think they had been flushed in 10 years and some really nasty stuff came out when I took a high pressure hose to it all.

Buying a house now is crazy unless you're getting a place for less than $200k.
I'm hating life over the mortgage, personally (it's fixed and not going anywhere, but it is still annoyingly high).  But prices haven't gone down in our neighborhood or really anywhere outside of the barrio or 35 miles north\east of town, so finding a "deal" that isn't Temecula or Escon-TJ just doesn't exist.  I do love having my own house and garage though, not having to deal with shitty apartments anymore is worth the hassle honestly.

I can't say I've ever met someone who actually had happy feeling toward the previous owner of their house.  Everyone seems to buy from Mr. Half Ass.
My house in Texas wasn't bad.  The owner maintained it and everything worked when we moved in.  Not a complaint at all about it.  California just seems to have a host of flakes who fuck everything up in their houses because they are too busy impressing everyone with their BMWs and Escalades.

I am the kind of person who would prefer to buy a 100 year old house with ORIGINAL everything rather than some chucklefuck's idea of "upgrades" already installed (ala those house flipper shows where the dickhead buys the absolute cheapest appliances or re-uses carpet from another house).  In my current house they didn't touch the master bathroom but re-did the guest bathroom with the aforementioned Home Depot specials.  What is sad is that what was "cheap" in 1973 is now "decent quality" compared to what you buy at Homey Depots on clearance.  The cabinets in the kitchen are the same way, very solid but ugly and nasty as hell since the previous owner decided putting stickem floor tiles inside would spice things up (and then proceeded to spill sugar and other liquids\solids without ever cleaning up).  I don't have the intestinal fortitude to strip the cabinets down and make them nice again and really don't want to shell out $35k for new quality cabinets.  The only thing that was 100% mandatory when I moved in was stripping the living room of the cardboard wallpaper\backing sheets and chair railing held in with picture nails (especially since I barely bumped one moving in and the whole 8ft section fell down).
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 03:04:21 PM

I found a few teeth in a drawer.

This just means the house has taken a likin' to ye!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 07:49:23 PM

Selby, I hear you on the shitty modern upgrades. My house isn't actually in bad shape...except where the kid tried to do something. I swear he has some superpower to fuck up every home improvement he could muster up his amazingly small reserve of ambition to tackle. Thank god he didn't try the kitchen with it's 1970s era custom cabinets that are actually really nice and made of real wood that hasn't warped to shit.

Tried the vinegar on the tub decals...worked ok, but still a pain in the ass to remove. Got all the decal and much of the mylar layers up, going to soak it again tomorrow to finish removal. Such fun stuff on a sunny day. But I do enjoy drywalling, it's zen with some good tunes jamming. I'll be sanding like a mofo, though, it is my first time.

I don't want to talk about Lake Basement.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 09:03:58 PM

I don't envy you guys. I only have a two bedroom condo to deal with, and a year later and I'm only half way through painting the living room.

Cleaned out the closet today, found a skirt to go with the blouses. Anyone need any fashions suited to a grandmother with about a 40" waist?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 10:10:14 PM

I loved the previous owner of my first house. He was great.

He spent all him money on drugs and turned the house into something everyone else was scared to buy, let cats wander through and piss all over the carpet. I got it for a song...

The other thing you can do. Is just put a new layer of sheetrock over the old. Sure - the room will be 1 inch shorter in each direction. Oh no's!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wallpaper removal  
Jump to: