Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Spore & The Creature Creator 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spore & The Creature Creator  (Read 111229 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 04:45:09 AM

Ta daa

I whipped these up last night. WoW players might recognize the creatures they're based on.

I like it. The trial version has a lot of blank spaces in the parts menus, which will be filled in "after you buy Spore", but it's definitely enough to get you into the process.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 05:01:00 AM

Are you using the free trial or the paid trial?   If the majority of slots all stay blank after paying $10 I can't see a reason to pay for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 05:39:57 AM

I have the free trial, downloaded from the Spore site.

schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 05:50:24 AM

The demo has about 25% the content of the full disc.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 05:51:10 AM

The might of the guitar empire shall be felt! And the first race we shall crush:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:57:31 AM by Sky »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 07:33:25 AM

The one you pay a tenner for comes out sometime today, right?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 08:06:45 AM

An hour from now if I'm reading the website right.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 08:09:55 AM

I've been messing with it some more. As people get the full version in stores (on the east coast) I've presume, some bugs have popped up with sporepedia. They'll probably get them fixed within a day as htey're little more than annoyances. But now I'm missing some of the goddamn microbes and it won't let me reupload them. Yet. Sigh. I wanted to finish those and move on but now I'll wait since my numbering is out of wack.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 08:26:05 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 09:50:53 AM

The paid version can be downloaded now, if anyone was interested.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:46 AM

How does the $10 rebate off Spore work if one buys the Creature Creator? Amazon is offering $5 off Spore for buying the CC, I'm wondering if it's additive.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 02:54:38 PM

This is the best ten dollars I have spent in years.   Heart
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 05:11:16 PM

Making creatures is very, very addictive.  I love it like I love CoH character creation.  Maybe more.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 07:01:35 PM

Definitely more.  I'm just pissed I'm working overtime on the day that we can order the rest of the parts.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 10:06:13 AM

Bah. Downloaded the mac trial and it won't run on the shitty integrated gpu in this mini. Threw it on the mbpro but it's totally obvious and I got busted messing with it three times....so probably no more Spore at work :P Lots of fun, though. Can't wait to see the building and ship editors.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 19, 2008, 04:52:34 PM

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 05:20:32 PM

How do you add bulk to the body?  Once you stretch out the spine its always skinny and its good for making worms but I want something heftier.  It seems if you lose the belly you get at the start you can't get it back?
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:35 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 05:47:38 PM

How do you add bulk to the body?  Once you stretch out the spine its always skinny and its good for making worms but I want something heftier.  It seems if you lose the belly you get at the start you can't get it back?

lrn2tutorial, n00b.

I'll give you a freebie, though -- mouse over the spine bones and spin the mousewheel.  ;)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 06:01:41 PM

Can I buy this, throw it on a flash drive, and take it to my non-net enabled apartment?
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:52 PM

lrn2tutorial, n00b.

I'll give you a freebie, though -- mouse over the spine bones and spin the mousewheel.  ;)

Hmm I know I tried that I'll give it another go

Edit: okay its hover over the spine not click on it...now to make a monster

thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:14:53 PM by Wasted »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 06:14:42 PM

Once you create your creature what do you do?

Am I the only one who feels like the second phases (?) creature portion of the game dominates the other parts?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 07:33:04 PM

ok I've made a couple

Its fun, gotta get the full version.  Doesn't seem to be available in Australia yet, what a surprise swamp poop
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #58 on: June 19, 2008, 08:28:57 PM

Once you create your creature what do you do?

In the full game, you make the creature over multiple editing sessions as you get more DNA points, which you acquire by running your creature around a planet and eating stuff.  Once your creature is "done", you move on to the RTS phase of the game, where you're controlling lots of copies of your creature.

For now, though, you just get to make a creature, ooh and ah at it, and then make another one.  All that other stuff isn't in the Creature Creator.

btw more critters:

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:06 PM

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 19, 2008, 11:59:52 PM

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately the Spore Creature Creator is not going to be available for digital download within Australia.

The Creature Creator will be released in full with the retail edition of the Spore game.

Instead of offering the Creature Creator as a purchase, EA will be offering the Spore Creature Creator FREE in a promotion at the end of July. Stay tuned to http://www.electronicarts.com.au/en-au/ for more information.

Regards,

EA Support

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 11:52 AM
To: easupport@sirius.com.au
Subject: spore creature creator

Hello

How do I purchase the full version of the spore creature creature in Australia.

Thanks

Ian Wright

So they'll give away the creator at the end of July probably as a pre-order deal so it won't really be free anyway, and the rest of the world has had it for ages and already bored of it.

Fuck EA, Fuck Spore, all I wanted to do was give them 10 fucking dollars.

Typical shit we get in Australia I was definitely going to buy this game, now I wont.

/end rant
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 01:26:32 AM

Fuck EA, Fuck Spore, all I wanted to do was give them 10 fucking dollars.

Typical shit we get in Australia I was definitely going to buy this game, now I wont.

Also despite A$1 = US$0.95, it will still be priced as if A$1 = US$0.62. Just like if you want to play it on a Mac, that Mac will cost you 30% more than it would in the US, for no reason. Thank God for cost+$1 Taiwanese PC parts importers.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 02:19:08 AM

Even EA New Zealand has it for sale ffs. Either some bright spark in EA Aus thinks its going to get him ahead to fuck around and use the creator in some brilliant promotion idea he's got, or more likely our shitty big chain stores haven't agreed to redeem the payment for the full creature creator as a part payment towards the box.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:07 AM

Am I the only one who feels like the second phases (?) creature portion of the game dominates the other parts?
Building editor for the simcity parts, vehicle editor for the rts parts, spaceship editor for the space exploration parts....The creature part is pretty fundamental in setting up the parameters of what comes after, it's the whole design concept, actually. But I don't think it'll dominate over all the other cool stuff.

I grabbed the full version last night. There's a definite learning curve if you have a certain concept in mind, but I'm getting a little better at it. I feel it's a bit limited in parts available, but even if that's all we get in Spore itself, it will be fine.

Then I forgot to upload the four guys I made...
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 20, 2008, 07:01:52 AM

Its also one of those low hanging fruit for future expansions/versions for spore down the road adding more and more parts. It would be nice to be able to do an exoskeletal critter and not have everything have to be vertebrates.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #65 on: June 20, 2008, 08:07:19 AM

I originally thought the fun was going to be in coming up with a concept first and then trying to make it, but I'm finding it much more satisfying to just start slapping stuff together and see where it goes.  Which I guess is how it's intended to play out in the full game.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 08:19:30 AM

I originally thought the fun was going to be in coming up with a concept first and then trying to make it, but I'm finding it much more satisfying to just start slapping stuff together and see where it goes.  Which I guess is how it's intended to play out in the full game.
Undoubtably, since "what you're adding" is pretty much going to be dictated by where you are in game play.

Moving shit later is going to cost you, so you're effectively going to be "Adapting" around it.

So you need a weapon, but there's no room for a horn with the eyes, moving the eyes apart costs to much to do AND get the horn, so the bloody thing ends up with a spike sticking out of it's chest. Later on, that's in the way of the arms you wanted, so you have to extend those out some because you can't afford to move the horn (or go without) but you really need better arms..

Once you hit the universe stage, I understand you get free access to the Creature Editor so you can design life as you want to drop on planets and whatnot.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 20, 2008, 08:44:45 AM

Everything I've seen come out of the creature creator so far has been made of fleshy and suck.  Where are the chitinous, armor-plated horrors of claws and spikes?  I wanna see fuckin' Kryomek/Zerg/Tyranids tearing things up.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #68 on: June 20, 2008, 08:54:20 AM

They actually do have bone plates and spikes and stuff in there, even in the free version:

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 20, 2008, 12:47:42 PM

Not mine but awesome prinny, d00d!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sqh0ckQ_LdM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Spore & The Creature Creator  
Jump to: