Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: You learn somthing new every day (PvP related) (More offical info added). 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You learn somthing new every day (PvP related) (More offical info added).  (Read 22191 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:15 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the stats that the dev mentioned are just the ones that affect whether stats/spells actually hit.  Which'd mean that your gear still affects how much damage you do and how well you can heal.

Yep such as this line here

Intelligence increases magic damage dealt, not magic rating.

Magic rating being a non-used in PvP stat.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:59 AM

Thanks for laying it out for me, Mrbloodworth.

And ya, I can see how it's an overreaction now considering how much you're still getting from gear. Your purple axe of ass kicking doom is still going to have more DPS than the green sword of mediocrity.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 07:45:31 AM

In reality if that was the case, classes were balanced and terms were near equal it would make a decent system. However that reality is not even in the Twilight Zone. Not even in the vicinity. Some stats will be far more important than others since you have a limited stats that your character will directly benefit from in PvP. One of them will be HP. HP gap currently at 80 is massive between the lowest and the highest players, even at base. With the epics I've seen from several raids, it isn't near equating, its just making far further gaps. A pair of Guardian gauntlets or boots I saw had 468HP. I don't have +418 HP on all my items combined

So, your game play is still intact.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48:24 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the stats that the dev mentioned are just the ones that affect whether stats/spells actually hit.  Which'd mean that your gear still affects how much damage you do and how well you can heal.

Yep such as this line here

Intelligence increases magic damage dealt, not magic rating.

Magic rating being a non-used in PvP stat.

Right, Photek is panicking about nothing.  The only thing they are saying is that two level 80s will always have the same chance to hit, regardless of the gear level.

This is not a bad thing, it will let completely out geared people at least still land hits (instead of whiffing every swing and having every spell resisted).

They have said nothing at all about how gear will affect damage in pvp, in fact they seem to imply that it will.  There will still be the same gear imbalance that wow had.  The only difference is that you'll still be able to land hits (even if those hits are much weaker) so you may have some small outside chance of winning in the end, if you are just that much more skilled than the player.

Photek is extrapolating that out to say that a rusty knife will hit for just as much as the most ubar elite epic purple in the game.  No where is that even implied in the post.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48:54 AM

Okay I'm seriously confused. Doesn't MAGIC RATING increase the damage you do with Magical attacks ? And doesnt stuff like +Damage increase your Magical Rating ?

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 07:50:32 AM

Okay I'm seriously confused. Doesn't MAGIC RATING increase the damage you do with Magical attacks ? And doesnt stuff like +Damage increase your Magical Rating ?

No, read the post.  Magic Rating is used to overcome Resist Rating.  Attack Rating is used to overcome Defense Rating.  Those 4 stats will not work in PvP.

EDIT:  Here are the important lines:

So, in the end, it is Magic Rating + Specialized Magic Rating vs. Resist Rating for the purposes of combat calculations.

Additionally, no stats were intended to apply to magic (or attack) ratings, and this was simply an error in the tooltip text until it was corrected last week. Intelligence increases magic damage dealt, not magic rating.

Magic Rating vs Resist Rating to hit.  Intelligence increases damage, not rating.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:53:05 AM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 07:53:22 AM

No, read the post.  Magic Rating is used to overcome Resist Rating.  Attack Rating is used to overcome Defense Rating.  Those 4 stats will not work in PvP.

Ok I read it five times now, it still makes little sense. In game scrolling over my GUI it says "Magic Rating increases the amount of damage you do with Magical Attacks". Am I missing something ?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Intelligence increases damage, not rating.

Yes this I know, that is for Mage classes, Priest classes get damage from wisdom. Fair enough, but what the hell does +Electrical / Electricity / Volta damage do ?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:56:42 AM by photek »

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:54 AM

Ok I read it five times now, it still makes little sense. In game scrolling over my GUI it says "Magic Rating increases the amount of damage you do with Magical Attacks". Am I missing something ?  Ohhhhh, I see.

I imagine that that is a Norwenglish way of saying that the more you hit the more damage you do, thus the better your magic rating the less likely it is you will be resisted thus the more you will hit.

In the linked post, he specifically says that increased magic damage is NOT increased magic rating, and that magic rating (and resist rating) won't work in pvp.  He never says anything about whether or not magic damage will work in pvp, though obviously the post implies that it will.

EDIT:  Right now everything is suspect, until we get some real testing in (just like everything in WoW was suspect until we had 4 years worth of testing).  But in WoW those of us who did nothing but pvp collected +spell damage like mad so that we could have the big nukes.  I suspect that will be the case with pvp in AoC, +spell damage will be god, +magic rating will be vendor trash.  We'll know a lot more in a year.  My lock was all +stam +spell damage, I suspect my necro will be all +hp +magic damage.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:58:03 AM by cevik »

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:30 AM

Yes this I know, that is for Mage classes, Priest classes get damage from wisdom. Fair enough, but what the hell does +Electrical / Electricity / Volta damage do ?

According to the patch notes yesterday, it adds to both the min and max damage of a spell.

i.e., a 50-100 damage electrical spell with +10 electrical damage will now do 60-110.  There is nothing stating this will not work in pvp and I highly suspect it will.

EDIT: I suspect, but without testing cannot prove, that +int will add some overall +spell damage to your character that affects all your spells.  So a +100 int maybe adds +10 points of damage to every spell, or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:01:03 AM by cevik »

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 08:00:10 AM

I imagine that that is a Norwenglish way of saying that the more you hit the more damage you do, thus the better your magic rating the less likely it is you will be resisted thus the more you will hit.

In the linked post, he specifically says that increased magic damage is NOT increased magic rating, and that magic rating (and resist rating) won't work in pvp.  He never says anything about whether or not magic damage will work in pvp, though obviously the post implies that it will.

Ok, I should be ashamed for ranting about stuff that isn't real, but I'm not. Instead I'm gonna say : Fuck the English teachers and schools Funcom employees went to. The post led me to believe that damage will be equal between a guy with +5 damage and a guy with +550 damage. Clearly you all can see the stupidity in that. I end my rant with a :

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:01:59 AM by photek »

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:49 AM

They didn't fuck around with the English in the game, at least.  I've only seen one typo but the way the game is written is pretty stellar.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 08:18:08 AM

Thank you all for clarifying this better than my name calling did. I still hate purple grinders though.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 17, 2008, 08:22:59 AM

They didn't fuck around with the English in the game, at least.  I've only seen one typo but the way the game is written is pretty stellar.

While the nazi grammar has been all over it, it's still lacking tons of information. Read your feats or abilities ? "This will further increase the efficiency of Spell of Doom". Uhm what ? Or the "Another strong attack doing vicious attacks". And clarification was indeed needed on this subject.

Post above : Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #48 on: June 17, 2008, 08:45:39 AM

I fully agree here, he game is abyssmal for feedback. I was 10th level with my first character - an Assassin - and I wasn't using half of my combos, because all of the descriptions state that they "produce less hate". Absolutely no mention of the fact that they do considerably more damage than standard attacks.

I still want to know if my +1dex +1int dagger is better than my +0.8 damage dagger...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 17, 2008, 08:52:01 AM

I like the potions I have that say 'Potion: Lasts 1 hour', yet I don't see any benefit when I drink it and no icon shows up to explain what it did to me. 

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: June 17, 2008, 08:53:01 AM

If you can't read the description on a potion, it's useless to your class. Like a rogue drinking moonspill (a mana potion) will do nothing.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 08:53:20 AM

I like the potions I have that say 'Potion: Lasts 1 hour', yet I don't see any benefit when I drink it and no icon shows up to explain what it did to me. 

What the hell do you want to know ? Its a potion that lasts 1 hour. Perfectly clear to me.

schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:34 AM

Don't be a retard.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:18 AM

Don't be a retard.

You need a new sarcasm detector. It was le joke of my humiliation of previous retardation in misunderstanding Norwenglish.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:38 AM

If you can't read the description on a potion, it's useless to your class. Like a rogue drinking moonspill (a mana potion) will do nothing.

Oh hoho so that would probably be a mana potion. Thanks.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: June 17, 2008, 09:08:14 AM

Don't be a retard.

You need a new sarcasm detector. It was le joke of my humiliation of previous retardation in misunderstanding Norwenglish.

My sarcasm detector is fine. Had your post come before I posted mine, I might have - in fact - chuckled. Posting it afterwards just made you look like an ass.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 09:13:19 AM

My sarcasm detector is fine. Had your post come before I posted mine, I might have - in fact - chuckled. Posting it afterwards just made you look like an ass.

I wrote it before you had your reply up. Not my fault alt+tabbing from AoC is slow as hell.

Reply #50 on: Today at 09:53:01 AM
Reply #51 on: Today at 09:53:20 AM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 09:16:13 AM

This is hardcore forum PVP.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 09:17:02 AM

And just like your 'exciting' PVP, my gear is so much better I could outright annihilate you with the press of a button.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 09:18:27 AM

and then /teabag my corpse?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:06 AM

I will ignore your counterstrike/halo troll. Thx for trying though.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 09:23:00 AM

Speaking of trolling, flexing your admin powers was a good one. Well played, I took the bait.

schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 09:23:44 AM

I knew you would. All you PVP types are predictable.

That is not permission to try and shock with something like Goatse. Or Two Maidens, One Chalice.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 09:24:56 AM

And you carebears hate being called carebears. And thus we have returned to our regularly scheduled insults.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 07:43:55 AM

Okay, Jayde posted some exact details about these stats and how they apply to PvP:

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=46282&page=5

Scroll down to find the dev post.

The important thing that pertains to our conversation above:

All other stats work normally in PvP. It is simply that "scaler" functionality which is normally in place to dynamically adjust gameplay based on level differences (for instance, the fact that you will evade more against a lower-level NPC) is removed in PvP to allow for a fairer matchup of player skill and ability.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 08:28:11 AM

Great find, i am going to put it in the OP.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: You learn somthing new every day (PvP related) (More offical info added).  
Jump to: