Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: penciling/inking/coloring 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: penciling/inking/coloring  (Read 7345 times)
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

on: June 13, 2008, 05:16:30 AM

I am not sure that this belongs in this section of the forum, but do any members here actually pencil or ink or color in their free time? I do all 3. I thought it would be cool if we had some sort of sketch thread. Then, if something cool came out of it, Schild could even skim shirt ideas off it.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:35:14 AM

I used to be pretty serious, even made my own comics and shit (superhero variety), but my art has gotten very goofy over the years. Not Epic Fail Guy goofy, but pretty lame nonetheless.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:02 AM

I used to. I haven't done much in years, since my self-publishing attempts failed miserably.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:28:10 AM

Yah, I do my very own extremely shitty webcomic.  So I do all three, just very, very badly.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 04:07:44 AM

I used to. I haven't done much in years, since my self-publishing attempts failed miserably.

In what way did they fail? I can help publish for you, if finding a good deal is your problem.

Damn, that's twice I've hawked my wares tonight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:05:49 AM

Finding a printer was tough (this was the early '90's) and getting in with the distributors was even more of a nightmare.  One solicit for the first issue got something like 40 orders total, and I think 500 was the bare minimum to even print.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:33:34 PM

You would have to order more than you'd probably like from here as well, but if you go through comixpress, it's as little as one copy, I think. Of course, you're paying more by doing it that way.

Couldn't tell you much about small distributors.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:39 PM

I am not sure that this belongs in this section of the forum, but do any members here actually pencil or ink or color in their free time? I do all 3. I thought it would be cool if we had some sort of sketch thread. Then, if something cool came out of it, Schild could even skim shirt ideas off it.

I was just looking for this stuff.  I have the Marvel book on how to pencil/ink, but it doesn't cover coloring, and doesn't even give you any resources to look for in coloring.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 04:19:04 PM

I will start posting my daily sketch stuff. If anyone wants any help with anything, I am totally willing to share everything I know.

Arnold: What are you using to paint/color? Do you have any color exp? I do all my leveling, inking, coloring and painting in PS. I use PS cs 3 and a wacom graphire
 3,  6'' x 8''. I think I will open an f13 sketch thread if anyone is up to drawing more often.

Schild: Seriously, start writing something. give me 5-8 pages man. Seriously. 2 weeks Schild...

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:55:07 PM

I will start posting my daily sketch stuff. If anyone wants any help with anything, I am totally willing to share everything I know.

Arnold: What are you using to paint/color? Do you have any color exp? I do all my leveling, inking, coloring and painting in PS. I use PS cs 3 and a wacom graphire
 3,  6'' x 8''. I think I will open an f13 sketch thread if anyone is up to drawing more often.

Schild: Seriously, start writing something. give me 5-8 pages man. Seriously. 2 weeks Schild...

I'm not doing anything.  I was just curious on what the pros use to color comics and how they go about it.  I found it odd that Marvel just abruptly ended their book without even mentioning the coloring process.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 05:27:20 AM

Arnold: Marvel "abruptly" ended the book because penciling, inking and coloring are generally done by different people, unless it is indy press stuff or a penciler is really particular about how he likes his shit inked. Honestly, I think that putting penciling and inking in the same book is almost too much. Good inking techniques should take up a whole book easily.

On the coloring thing. Color artists use Photoshop. Most of the time they flat their own stuff then color, or they have someone who is just flatting pages then sending them off to the colorist. The process is different for different artists, but generally, for comics you lay flats, then build up your highlights. "cut and grad" word is used really often. (that is when you use a laso to take "cuts of selected portions of a section of your flats, then  use a gradient tool to add highlights, hen blend them in with a hard edge brush with some transparency on it.     

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 05:20:55 PM

I hate the typical photoshopped colored look. It really turned me off in the mid-90s when suddenly every comic had the same color style with the same fake looking gradient highlights.

I used to sketch a bit. I never had any real talent so it was a constant struggle of trial and error. I did get kind of ok but have not had the time or inclination to practice much recently.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 07:01:55 PM

Margalis: Almost all comic book stuff with the occasional exception of cover art is colored/painted in PS. You are right that the 90's had a really awful loud color style associated with it, but it was bad colorists, not PS.

You should post some drawings. I love looking at peoples art work

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 09:16:57 PM

Arnold: Marvel "abruptly" ended the book because penciling, inking and coloring are generally done by different people, unless it is indy press stuff or a penciler is really particular about how he likes his shit inked. Honestly, I think that putting penciling and inking in the same book is almost too much. Good inking techniques should take up a whole book easily.

On the coloring thing. Color artists use Photoshop. Most of the time they flat their own stuff then color, or they have someone who is just flatting pages then sending them off to the colorist. The process is different for different artists, but generally, for comics you lay flats, then build up your highlights. "cut and grad" word is used really often. (that is when you use a laso to take "cuts of selected portions of a section of your flats, then  use a gradient tool to add highlights, hen blend them in with a hard edge brush with some transparency on it.     

The inking section of the book was really short.  Most of the book was on pencilling, and coloring wasn't mentioned at all.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 05:22:47 AM

Arnold: Yeah, if you need inking books I think you should check out The Complete Art of Comic Book Inking by Gary Martin. It is really good, also try The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics .  Those are both gonna do the job and get you a decent understanding of inking and using line weights and stuff.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: penciling/inking/coloring  
Jump to: