Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - Square Enix - DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - Square Enix - DS  (Read 2430 times)
schild
Administrator

on: June 09, 2008, 02:31:41 AM

A pair of disclaimers: first, I love coop action RPGs to death. Second, I've only played this game multiplayer; so this doesn't cover the single player game at all (which I have little interest in). That out of the way, this game is fairly similar to the original Crystal Chronicles: players pick one of four "races"; there's a warrior, archer, mage, and some guy who does strange things with pots. Combat is fairly standard for those who have played the original...or any action RPG released in the last few years. The graphics are pretty good for the DS, and weapons/armor changing your characters appearance won a lot of points in my book. Connectivity between the DSs was good, but we always play in the same room so YMMV.

Things that make the game interesting: the magic combining system from the original returns (2 people casting fire makes Fira, 3 castings is Firaga, etc.) although classes being able to multicast on their own detracted from the teamwork aspect slightly. The item crafting system allows a wide variety of customization, and you can add gems to items in the creation process to influence what abilities or stats they come out with; it's kind of random but allows for some interesting options. You can also buy stats up with coin, which helps eliminate the lack of inherent customization (your stats go up arbitrarily when you level and you also get abilities, but no player choice is involved). Last but certainly not least, they got rid of the stupid Chalice from last game, so everyone can actually participate in combat rather than one player being stuck carrying a cup the whole time. All in all, it's a fun coop experience, with interesting puzzles, fun combat and tough bosses.

If you like action RPGs, Buy it.
If not, Rent it.

-

Sent in by Rendakor.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - Square Enix - DS  
Jump to: