Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development - Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development - Wii  (Read 4135 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: June 03, 2008, 06:34:55 AM

I didn't like Mario Kart: Double Dash too much.  This is mostly because it was too difficult to drive and grind sparks and juggle items and also drag Luigi on the pavement behind you.  Mario Kart Wii at least takes out the annoyance of driving with a thumbstick from that list.

I'm going to put it bluntly and say that this is Yet Another Mario Kart game.  You have characters of various sizes and various karts and wacky tracks to race around.  I think the tracks are somewhat better than Double Dash, even the ones that they brought over from that version.  The native tracks have a neat half-pipe thing you can do in some areas, and the functional shortcut makes a weak but notable return.  Also, characteristically years late, Nintendo copied GTA and added bikes to this version.

Why would you get this if you are already sick of Mario Kart, like me?  The Wii Wheel.  As cliché as it is to say, the Wii Wheel adds lots of fun to the proceedings.  Also, it's better than a thumbstick for analog steering, which should be obvious, although it might make things too easy.  My four-year-old son (the official recipient of this game) got first place in the first track of the 50cc cup on his third try, so it's both fun and easy.  We're still in the 50cc Grand Prix, though, so I expect it to get harder in the 100cc (bikes only) and the 150cc (karts and bikes).

-

Buy

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:36:26 AM

I wish they had kept the double dash karts as an option. It was a good way for my wife and I to play together; she could drive and I could handle ass kicking. Driving with the Wii Wheel is way more fun than it has any right to be. I also really like the new courses, they did a bang up job on them.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:49:27 PM

I have a really hard time playing with the wheel, mainly I think because it doesn't center itself. I find myself over correcting on turns all the time.

The game itself is great fun though. The brutality of the courses and the harsher bumping consequences make it easy to lose your place and easy to get it back, which makes for some good back-and-forth play even between seasoned veterans and those wet behind the ears youngsters.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:10:05 PM

It's one of the better Wii games for my family.  I play with my 3yr old daughter, she's actually getting the hang of the wheel.  Crashes a lot, of course.  But tons of fun. 

Sadly, she doesn't have the patience for the online side of it. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:58 PM

She's 3.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:34 PM

My son was dorking around in the menus and went into the online section.  Forty-five seconds later he was calling me to get him out of a menu and into a race.

These tiny ass wheels make me feel like that morbidly fat guy who had to have the tiny steering wheel in his conversion van so he could fit into the driver's seat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 05:05:00 AM

She's 3.

You should see the crazy stuff they have kids doing now days in daycare.  Every day she comes home and they learn where a new letter is on the keyboard.  It's crazy.  She's going to be PC online by the time she's 5 or 6, without a doubt. 

My complaint about her patience was really a jab at the 2-3 minute online game start times, which is the whole game's only fault, imo.  Most of that likely can't be helped, as it's waiting for other people to join the game.  Frankly, I don't have the patience for it either, but it's fun now and again.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:01:46 AM

These tiny ass wheels make me feel like that morbidly fat guy who had to have the tiny steering wheel in his conversion van so he could fit into the driver's seat.

That's because they're made for kids and only kids. But we knew this already. Though, if you're feeling fat, I hear Nintendo has a solution for you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development - Wii  
Jump to: