Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Well the tech support sucks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well the tech support sucks  (Read 7641 times)
Hound
Terracotta Army

on: May 28, 2008, 04:21:27 PM

Yesterday mornings patch managed to break the game for me to where it will not launch. Tried a couple of easy beta fixes with no joy, fired off a email to tech support. been contributing to a 10 page plus thread on tech forums regarding the problem and still Funcom has not even even acknowledged the problem. Hoping for the best with tomorrows patch but I am about ready to say " nice try Funcom but you missed again". The game has it's good points for sure but I think I will enjoy it more 6 months from now when they finish fixing some issues.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:24:29 PM

I am trying to install the game.  I have downloaded less than 40MBs in an hour and a half.  I cannot log into the forums because I am not yet registered.  Why are the stupid forums so fucking secret?  I registered for the forums but for some reason it will be at least a half hour before my log in works.

So I can't find out if the problems I'm having with the download are special to me or not.

Fucking amateur hour over there at Funcom, I swear.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:28:08 PM

Play the game fine. Forums? What forums?

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:39 PM

I am trying to install the game.  I have downloaded less than 40MBs in an hour and a half.  I cannot log into the forums because I am not yet registered.  Why are the stupid forums so fucking secret?  I registered for the forums but for some reason it will be at least a half hour before my log in works.

So I can't find out if the problems I'm having with the download are special to me or not.

Fucking amateur hour over there at Funcom, I swear.

I am registered and I can't access the forums. Half hour?  5 days and counting.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:39:28 PM

Play the game fine. Forums? What forums?

I'd love to play the game.  I can't.  For some unknown reason, I can't download the patch after installation.  Why would that be? I opened the ports support said to open on my firewall.  Still it doesn't work.

I have no trouble downloading other things, playing other mmos. 

Seems Funcom doesn't want my money.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:33 PM

It works for like 10 seconds and then I get excited thinking it's going to finally start patching, and then it stops and sits for an hour.

I don't think it's on my end.  I think for whatever reason, Funcom is broken today.

Maybe thousands of people bought the game today and they're all trying to install!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:24:25 PM

Unlikely. I bought it the day it went on sale in the whole of Europe and patched up fine.

Hic sunt dracones.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 05:31:36 PM

Unlikely. I bought it the day it went on sale in the whole of Europe and patched up fine.

It sits and does nothing for an hour and then downloads and then sits and does nothing...

I turned off my firewall.  I opened my ports.  What else could it be?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 05:45:20 PM

Could be your cable company if you are using a cable modem.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:46:32 PM

Could be your cable company if you are using a cable modem.

I have DSL.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:50:59 PM

Probably not that then, unless for some reason they've jumped onto the illegal BitTorrent throttling bandwagon as well.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 05:53:05 PM

When there's only 2 people posting about problems in a tech support thread and who knows how many in-game, it's the opposite of amateur hour.

No doubt, Xanthippe, your experience sucks.

Have you tried uninstalling, completely cleaning out any Conan related shit and reinstalling? I've her of everything from crash loops to patch loops, but I've yet to hear of this problem being continuous.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 06:06:56 PM

When there's only 2 people posting about problems in a tech support thread and who knows how many in-game, it's the opposite of amateur hour.

No doubt, Xanthippe, your experience sucks.

Have you tried uninstalling, completely cleaning out any Conan related shit and reinstalling? I've her of everything from crash loops to patch loops, but I've yet to hear of this problem being continuous.

I didn't uninstall, but I did verify the files.  The install went smooth as silk.  The patching is the problem.

The patcher is sporatically connecting - like out of an hour, it will run right for about 15 seconds, and then stop again.  It seems like broken networking or something.  I've disabled my firewall, checked my internet connection, opened the correct ports on the router, rebooted everything, and still it doesn't work any better.  If it completely didn't work, that'd be one thing, but it works a little sometimes.  Just weird!

It would be so helpful if there was a tech forum to read but alas - Funcom isn't letting me read the forums for god knows what reason they must be super secret only for people who've registered accounts a week ago or something.  That whole forum thing isn't working out so well.

It's amateur hour indeed, at least from a customer service perspective.  My first email to tech support included an outline of my problem, what I've tried, and my dxdiag file.  I received back a response that was canned, that gave me some links to follow for 5 or so problems people have, and then "if this doesn't solve your problem, respond with a description of your problem and your dxdiag file."  That's just shit customer service right there.  I get a stupid meaningless canned response from tech and can't access the forums to try to solve it myself.

Hopefully, the problem will resolve itself or their tech support will contact me within a reasonable period of time with a solution.  I can't imagine what the hell the problem is, on my end, at this point.  My files aren't corrupted.  My computer is almost brand new.  My internet connection is elite.  If I had an IP to ping or traceroute, that would be nice, but that's sekret too, I guess.

I just want to play with all the kool kids.

Tantrum
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 06:11:25 PM

Uninstall, clean it out, restart, reinstall.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 06:22:10 PM

I FIXED IT!

Now I remember why I can't stand anti-virus software.  I had turned off the firewall that PC-cillin had, and thought that the whole antivirus program was unfunctional.  However, it was still running and what's more it was totally interfering with the patching.

I hate anti-virus software, hate it hate it hate it.  I always end up removing it.  I didn't this time, and figured that I'd leave it until it caused a problem, and then forgot all about it.

I still don't take back what I said about amateur hour!  But thanks for letting me tantrum here.  (My family thanks you too, since they were spared. Well, mostly.  I don't think I taught my kids any colorful new words, anyway.  I did use and reuse the old ones many times.)

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:03 PM

So it had nothing to do with Conan?

Not. Shocked. Shoot someone a message to get guilded.
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 05:09:37 AM

Has anyone seen any mods or tech support people posting in the tech forums?

here is one of the threads relating to my issue

http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=40242

on a side note it has been 48 hours now since I sent in my tech support ticket with no response other than

Greetings,

This message has been automatically generated in response to the
creation of a ticket regarding:
  "Black screen then crash when I hit play",
a summary of which appears below.

There is no need to reply to this message right now.  Your ticket has been
assigned an ID of [Funcom Support #xxxxxxxxxxxxxx].

Please include the string:

[Funcom Support #xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. To do so,
you may reply to this message.

Thank you and look forward to seeing you all in Hyboria very shortly,

support@ageofconan.com

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 08:02:29 AM

I got a real reply last night from a named person at tech support.  Maybe they don't know the answer to your problem and they're still working on it?  Why they haven't acknowledged that, though, is beyond me.

Good luck, I hope your problem gets resolved with the patch.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 08:07:13 AM

I got a real reply last night from a named person at tech support.  Maybe they don't know the answer to your problem and they're still working on it?  Why they haven't acknowledged that, though, is beyond me.

Good luck, I hope your problem gets resolved with the patch.

Most likely shear volume, and noise filters. I am sure there are a lot of "Someone killed me on a PvP server" petitions they have to grep through.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Well the tech support sucks  
Jump to: