Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Thinking of Trying a PVP Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking of Trying a PVP Server  (Read 23742 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: May 26, 2008, 11:20:36 AM

So my roommate and I are considering trying out playing on a PVP server. I was wondering how many people here are playing PVP, if so how is it, and does anyone have a guild that would be possible to join if we do decide to stay on.

Basically we both liked the old days of UO pre trammel, and are hoping that a PVP server might have the same sort of feel. Any info would be great.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:07:07 PM

Im on the RP-PvP server Cimmeria, and you are welcome to join us.

The feel is basically, untrusting. Sometimes I team up with random people just to avoid getting ganked. Sometimes I have great fights in the world one on one. Sometimes I get steam rolled by a group. Generally, more fun comes from it than grief...some might disagree but I'm an old pro and figured out long ago that there are strength in numbers and levels can sometimes be evened out by smart fighting, ambushing, and proper use of skills.

The nice part is even in the world there are instances, and many times if you get to the point of 'meh I cant be arsed to fight these guys again' you can select a different instance. The only thing its missing is item loot, but oh well.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:56 AM

My roommate and I rolled on Cimmeria to check it out. So far I have been killed twice, both times by assassins. Getting killed doesnt really bother me, cause you just respawn pretty close.

I am planning to get to 20 and then see how it is in the "real world".
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:24:48 AM

Cool man, lemme know names and i'll hit ya up

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:55 AM

I am also on this server.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:56:57 AM

I'm on this server too. The PVP feels like a FPS because dieing really doesn't mean anything. There is no incentive to gank other people (other than they did something to piss you off). Assassins think they are really funny when they two shot you from behind. Karma is a bitch when they are trying to level and you hunt them down though.

It really should have full loot because the loot is so limited in what attributes it gives you. There should be a vengeance list too because I can't be arsed to remember every jack hole that has ganked me. Sometimes I don't even see who it was.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:39 AM

I might try a PvP server at some point, too.  I plan to go wherever The Regulators aren't.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:04:45 AM

I'm on this server too. The PVP feels like a FPS because dieing really doesn't mean anything. There is no incentive to gank other people (other than they did something to piss you off). Assassins think they are really funny when they two shot you from behind. Karma is a bitch when they are trying to level and you hunt them down though.

It really should have full loot because the loot is so limited in what attributes it gives you. There should be a vengeance list too because I can't be arsed to remember every jack hole that has ganked me. Sometimes I don't even see who it was.

Ingame name?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:25:13 AM

MBW, me and my friends on that server are:

Me: Morv - Barb

Zulj - Bear Shammy
Wyte - ToS
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:31 AM

MBW, me and my friends on that server are:

Me: Morv - Barb

Zulj - Bear Shammy
Wyte - ToS

k, ill add you to friends list.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:22 AM

I plan to go wherever The Regulators aren't.

Who?
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:10 AM

Ingame name?

Krakrok. I'm in a friend's guild.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:57:58 AM

MBW, do you have a guild over there? Strength in numbers and all that.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 12:04:12 PM

Slayer does, I currently do not ATM. About 4-5 of my friends are also on this server, and we are all unguided. They are waiting for some dude or something...any longer, and i will be joining slayer. Only reason i have not, is they are IRL friends, and we play on a LAN often, so i want to of course stick with them.

But i will group with any of you guys at anytime, and if i add you to my friends list, ill make sure not to spill AOE death near you and capture your soul  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:05:48 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 12:09:36 PM

Slayer does, I currently do not ATM. About 4-5 of my friends are also on this server, and we are all unguided. They are waiting for some dude or something...any longer, and i will be joining slayer. Only reason i have not, is they are IRL friends, and we play on a LAN often, so i want to of course stick with them.

But i will group with any of you guys at anytime, and if i add you to my friends list, ill make sure not to spill AOE death near you and capture your soul  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I am still undecided about what class to play. I have fun playing the Barb, but they are everywhere. I really like the theory of the HoX but they are so tough at lower levels, I do think they will get very badass in the end game. I might have to roll another HoX on Cimmeria.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 02:58:45 PM

Who?

You remember them from SB.  The Regulators, DDH, Sinister, R30s, Bashi, and all that rubbish.  Well, it's just one bloke who posted on the AoC Offal Forums who pissed me off this time with some lame nasty post about how married people shouldn't play MMOs.  It was stupid, and he was stupid and it annoyed me during a day when I'm already in a really Really REALLY bad mood.  I can't remember his name but if I ever meet him IRL I'm planning on stabbing him in the face 647 times for irritating me.  At least.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 03:30:41 PM

Who?

You remember them from SB.  The Regulators, DDH, Sinister, R30s, Bashi, and all that rubbish.  Well, it's just one bloke who posted on the AoC Offal Forums who pissed me off this time with some lame nasty post about how married people shouldn't play MMOs.  It was stupid, and he was stupid and it annoyed me during a day when I'm already in a really Really REALLY bad mood.  I can't remember his name but if I ever meet him IRL I'm planning on stabbing him in the face 647 times for irritating me.  At least.

Well, I am sure they probably went to Deathwhisper or Tyranny, as those are considered the h4rdc0re PVP servers. You can come try PVP with us on the RP-PVP server if you want. Although Schild will probably send you mean IMs if you do.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 04:02:24 PM

I have open character slots!  I can type on two servers at once because I'm ambitextrous!

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 04:33:01 PM

Who?

Yeah that thread pissed me off as well.  Cos the game was down I even replied in it... :/
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 07:01:16 PM

That comma is hiding something very subliminal or a very big freudian slip.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 08:54:30 PM

We've got a decent sized guild going now, vent and forums. Should be involved in endgame sieging/gank wars :) We are keeping a KOS list on the forums to help keep it in order. PM me if you want the info.

GenVec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 03:45:08 AM

I am still undecided about what class to play. I have fun playing the Barb, but they are everywhere. I really like the theory of the HoX but they are so tough at lower levels, I do think they will get very badass in the end game. I might have to roll another HoX on Cimmeria.

I'd advise a strong amount of caution towards anyone thinking of playing a HoX on a pvp server. They've got a bad case of glass cannon syndrome, without the stealth or mezzes of many of the other professions to get them out of tight situations. However, if you're planning on being super-aggressive, it's a much more viable class - the key to survival seems to be popping into Avatar and shadow stepping into the enemy group before anyone knows what's going on.

Due to some strange errors, I can't log into the Funcom forums to check out what the consensus on the class is as of yet, but by the lack of other HoX's I see on Cimmeria i'm guessing they're not considered too highly at present.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 03:56:20 AM

Could you please quotify the gist of it? EU account here.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 06:30:02 AM

That comma is hiding something very subliminal or a very big freudian slip.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Could you please quotify the gist of it? EU account here.

NO!

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 06:48:18 AM

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 08:05:22 AM

Hi.  Long time listener, first time poster...(yeah, i know i'm stupid)  A friend of mine and I have gotten a little bored of the PVE servers and have made characters on the RP-PVP server (Cimmeria).   

For those of you on this server, how have you been finding it?  I've heard there aren't a ton of cases of camping and ganking, but how is the community on the server?

Edit: b/c i can't spell...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:11:20 AM by Oz »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 08:33:45 AM

Hi.  Long time listener, first time poster...(yeah, i know i'm stupid)  A friend of mine and I have gotten a little bored of the PVE servers and have made characters on the RP-PVP server (Cimmeria).   

For those of you on this server, how have you been finding it?  I've heard there aren't a ton of cases of camping and ganking, but how is the community on the server?

Edit: b/c i can't spell...

Been fun for me so far, I get some RP-lite sometimes when fighting people...server seems pretty decent.

For the guy saying HoX sucks, its only true if you don't have me healing him. My friend is one and is a beast with his DPS.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 09:43:58 AM

good to know.  I'll have to keep an eye out.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 09:50:18 AM

I am having a blast. I find the ooc community to be pretty much the same as every other barrens chat, but other than that, its great. I haven't been ganked very much at all. Mostly people leave you alone. One time so far have I had people try and camp me at the spawn point, and they failed.
I started a big war in Tesso last night, it was great. Some Barb was trying to gank people in town, so I killed him, and then went and pretended to be AFK, so the barb attacked me, what he didnt notice was that I was standing right next to a guard. The whole town errupted in to violence, and it was great.

My only real regret is that I wasted enough time to get 2 level 20 characters on a PVE server first.

I can 100% endorse the RP-PVP server.

Oh yeah, also its funny but I have been running in to all kinds of old school gamers. UDL (Undead Lords), WoH (a guild I started in 1996), and a few others I cant think of now.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 12:04:52 PM

This game is MUCH less fun for me now that they added global chat channels. In fact I am seriously considering switching to a PvP server so that I can kill them.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 12:46:25 PM

Can you just turn it off? mine got a lot better when i started ignoring every single person that talked in them.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 12:51:06 PM

You guys don't have a window that has "Guild, Tells, Party, Say" on only?
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 01:59:33 PM

I rolled on Deathwhisper at launch. Things to consider when on a PvP server:

1) Kill everyone you see. If you do not, they will kill you.
2) Gaining levels will take much longer, due to ganking, camping.
3) Do not try to read any quest text at all. Click 1 until your journal is updated or you will be killed.
4) Do not try to pick your quest reward while at the NPC, you will be killed.
5) Do not team with anyone outside your guild. If you do, you will be summoned, kicked, killed.
6) If you get killed, you will be killed.

Other than that, there are perks, like being able to kill the asshat from general chat like Lum mentioned, or killing the person in the area you need to be in for a quest rather than wait for respawn of the mobs they get to before you.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 02:42:34 PM

I rolled on Deathwhisper at launch. Things to consider when on a PvP server:

This is why I refused to move to Deathwhisper with a friend of mine. I am on Cimmeria, and it is nothing like that. This is how Cimmeria differs from your points.

1) Kill everyone you see. If you do not, they will kill you.
Nope. Not on Cimmeria. Lots of people running around and leave you alone. I have been attacked maybe 3 times total out in the wilds while questing, and I am level 35 on my highest.

2) Gaining levels will take much longer, due to ganking, camping.
Not on Cimmeria. Yeah, it will take a slight amount of time longer. But usually its because I got caught up in a fun fight right outside of town, and decided to hang around for more PVP fun.

3) Do not try to read any quest text at all. Click 1 until your journal is updated or you will be killed.
I have not had a single person attack me while reading quest text. Not one. Even out in the wild.

4) Do not try to pick your quest reward while at the NPC, you will be killed.
Same as above. Not one time.

5) Do not team with anyone outside your guild. If you do, you will be summoned, kicked, killed.
Again, nope. I have grouped with quite a few people and it has always been a fun and positive experience.

6) If you get killed, you will be killed.
Do you mean camped? I have had a total of 2 people try and res camp me. One I turned around and killed. The other time I just changed instances.

These are the reasons why I chose RP-PVP over the h4rdc0re PVP l33t server that is Deathwhisper. I dont plan to RP, but the general feel of the server is much better.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 03:36:04 PM

I'm new enough into Live that I wouldn't mind switching. However, BC seems pretty invested on Zug with the City and all. I'd go if a mass of people followed, but still as a Demonologist which probably still means wtfowned, except by ArePee'ers smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Thinking of Trying a PVP Server  
Jump to: