Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:56:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Thinking of Trying a PVP Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking of Trying a PVP Server  (Read 23677 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 05:58:36 PM

I'm really enjoying Cimmeria so far, 21 PoM, only been "ganked" once while reading quest text in khopseh province, had a few fun fights on white sands.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 08:26:51 PM

This game is MUCH less fun for me now that they added global chat channels. In fact I am seriously considering switching to a PvP server so that I can kill them.

Lum, you have instant access to me/Nerf/ Morfiend's guild, being the legend you are. :) Roll on Cimmeria !!!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 08:34:47 PM

Ok, some more Cimmeria impressions.

My old school buddy of mine from Shadowbane have a new system when running around. We basically hit random people one time with white damage swing. I prefer the overhand smash. The person then has a few options:

1. Run away, go about your business.

2. Stand and fight, and die.

3. Stand and fight, and die. Then call friends.

4. Stand and fight, and die. Then watch other similar low level guys start ganging up to kill me. There is something that happens in this game I've never seen before, a type of....forgive me for saying it, player justice. Sometimes I'll be finishing a fight with one of our KOS guilds (Murder Herd) and some other guys his level assume I am ganking him. They try to help him out. More noobs see the fun and jump in to get a piece of the level 42 'ganker'. I was fighting 5 guys earlier...a 34 and a guild "Silverwolf Clan" with four lvl 20-29s - was a fuckin riot, and they eventually took me down.

Outside Tesso is friggin great. I highly recommend it.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 05:20:41 AM

I'm temptred to try a euro rp-pvp server now. I wouldnt last 30 seconds with my crappy "will obey commands of I feel like it" play experiance. but might be amusing.

By old eve mates told me that they were in a quest and these guys came up tot hem and they though they were about to be attacked. Then they got a messege "we have no beef with you guys. we just want to gank that clown over there!" "Fair enough!" And they were laughing about it over TS

Goddamit I'm still totally pissed I cant play on US servers...

Hic sunt dracones.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:53 AM

My friend an i have been duoing a bit in the starting area.  Only got ganked once...which led to me accidentally killing someone else that looked like him in retribution.  I felt kinda bad. 

I do love that slight pause when 2 groups run into each other and are sizing each other up to see if someone is going to attack.  Instead of hitting a little white damage, we like to Cast up our Hots.  Just in case its business time...usually they see 2 of us casting and run like hell. 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 07:00:27 AM

Oh, yea, when is Cimmeria's peak population? As in, is it local EU or local US or in the middle? I hate empty servers and I'm east coast U.S.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 07:17:43 AM

Oh, yea, when is Cimmeria's peak population? As in, is it local EU or local US or in the middle? I hate empty servers and I'm east coast U.S.

It always seems plenty populated...I'm in eastern time zone as well.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 07:39:25 AM

You guys have a guild up yet? Damn you for tempting me to make an alt smiley Maybe this time it'll be a Bear Shaman. PoM and ToS are too op'd for me to jump in front of the inevitable nerf train.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 09:44:14 AM

Yeah, I have a guild up with friends from SB/SWG/WOW/PS and a few guys around here.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 10:08:28 AM

Yeah, I have a guild up with friends from SB/SWG/WOW/PS and a few guys around here.

I Have a bunch of almost level 20s on zug but have recently decided to try out PVP for the first time, I rolled a barb on Cimmeria.

My barb is 14 and looking for some people interested in showing a new pvper the ropes. Ive had a ton of fun in white sands. Especailly when i whispered to this cimmerian ranger that there were a ton of stygians defiling our lands with their talk of Set...............soon all of white sands was a battlefield...........good to know nobody likes stygians!

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:53 AM

I got a laugh outta the term "Stygger" that someone called me the other day... heh

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 06:59:17 PM

I rolled a PoM on Cimmeria. Going to blow through the Destiny stuff to 14, probably by tomorrow night. Talrastra. Even if they nerf what the class can do later, I still like the core concept.

Who can I look up to add to my friends list. I'm lonely  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 04:55:59 AM

Nerf = Nerf
Nurull = Morfiend
Harbodus / Slayerik = Me
Trucegore = MrBloodworth

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

Thanks.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 12:17:48 PM

Goddamit I'm still totally pissed I cant play on US servers...
Does the INI file edit not work?  (I'm not sure where it is, but supposedly that lets you play on either side of the pond.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM

Three of us (possibly 4) are going to be rolling on Cimmeria. How does AoE damage work? Basically, you hurt everyone that's not in your group or guild? What about people on your friends list?

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:05 PM

Three of us (possibly 4) are going to be rolling on Cimmeria. How does AoE damage work? Basically, you hurt everyone that's not in your group or guild? What about people on your friends list?

Group = No AE damage.
Guild = Take Damage
Friends = Take damage
Random lowbie = Take damage

If you AE you will hit ANYONE in the area that is not in your current group.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 07:29:39 PM

I've got a 28 dark templar on cimmeria now, and I have to admit it is actually kinda fun.  The fact that you don't even lose your buffs when killed in PvP is interesting.  I spent like 15 levels paranoid of using food until I figured that out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 07:32:50 PM by Abelian75 »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 12:18:00 PM

I rolled on Deathwhisper at launch. Things to consider when on a PvP server:

This is why I refused to move to Deathwhisper with a friend of mine. I am on Cimmeria, and it is nothing like that. This is how Cimmeria differs from your points.

1) Kill everyone you see. If you do not, they will kill you.
Nope. Not on Cimmeria. Lots of people running around and leave you alone. I have been attacked maybe 3 times total out in the wilds while questing, and I am level 35 on my highest.

2) Gaining levels will take much longer, due to ganking, camping.
Not on Cimmeria. Yeah, it will take a slight amount of time longer. But usually its because I got caught up in a fun fight right outside of town, and decided to hang around for more PVP fun.

3) Do not try to read any quest text at all. Click 1 until your journal is updated or you will be killed.
I have not had a single person attack me while reading quest text. Not one. Even out in the wild.

4) Do not try to pick your quest reward while at the NPC, you will be killed.
Same as above. Not one time.

5) Do not team with anyone outside your guild. If you do, you will be summoned, kicked, killed.
Again, nope. I have grouped with quite a few people and it has always been a fun and positive experience.

6) If you get killed, you will be killed.
Do you mean camped? I have had a total of 2 people try and res camp me. One I turned around and killed. The other time I just changed instances.

These are the reasons why I chose RP-PVP over the h4rdc0re PVP l33t server that is Deathwhisper. I dont plan to RP, but the general feel of the server is much better.

I'm in agreement.  Currently have a 27 / 28 Guardian on Cimmeria with our guild.  But aside from stupid ganking, the feel is OK.  I am having such a fun fucking time swinging a sword.

BTW, does your guild have an architect? I am so fucking, fucking hard for that tradeskill for no obvious reason.  I just like building shit.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:12 PM

I actually liked the random ganking I've seen so far. After years of PvE-mostly, walking into adventure zones where everyone's name is red and can be attacked reminds me of my earliest days.

But this is still when I'm in the late teens with "gankers" being defined as level 23ers with nothing better to do smiley
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 12:27:35 PM

This is why I refused to move to Deathwhisper with a friend of mine. I am on Cimmeria, and it is nothing like that. This is how Cimmeria differs from your points.

Nope. Not on Cimmeria. Lots of people running around and leave you alone. I have been attacked maybe 3 times total out in the wilds while questing, and I am level 35 on my highest.

Not on Cimmeria. Yeah, it will take a slight amount of time longer. But usually its because I got caught up in a fun fight right outside of town, and decided to hang around for more PVP fun.

3) Do not try to read any quest text at all. Click 1 until your journal is updated or you will be killed.
I have not had a single person attack me while reading quest text. Not one. Even out in the wild.

5) Do not team with anyone outside your guild. If you do, you will be summoned, kicked, killed.
Again, nope. I have grouped with quite a few people and it has always been a fun and positive experience.

Do you mean camped? I have had a total of 2 people try and res camp me. One I turned around and killed. The other time I just changed instances.

These are the reasons why I chose RP-PVP over the h4rdc0re PVP l33t server that is Deathwhisper. I dont plan to RP, but the general feel of the server is much better.

Goddamnit. Fine. I'll try Cimmeria. I miss DAoC RvR like you wouldn't believe. And considering that's not set up in AoC yet, I guess this is the next best thing (or at least we'll see if it is). Besides, I played on an RP server in DAoC, so what you're saying is double plus good.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 12:33:43 PM

So if I roll a ToS and start ganking people while they receive quests I'll have no competition?

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 12:53:09 PM

I play on Shadowblade, and even though it's not a RP-PVP server, I find that so far things are similar to Morfiend's assessment here.  The PvP so far has been almost magically free of griefing, and has pretty much only added interest to my gameplay so far, never detracted.  I'm very happy I went PvP, so far at least.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 16, 2008, 01:01:44 PM

I actually liked the random ganking I've seen so far. After years of PvE-mostly, walking into adventure zones where everyone's name is red and can be attacked reminds me of my earliest days.

But this is still when I'm in the late teens with "gankers" being defined as level 23ers with nothing better to do smiley

I like killing people who act like its not a free for all pvp server and think they can be idiots.  A ranger five levels below me shot a boss/quest mob after i had cleared the whole camp right before i engaged it earlier like this was wow or something, me and big bad quest mob tag teamed his ass then i run off to reset the mob. Or people who just show up and unilateraly decide im a nice guy who will share my camp with them, thats not how it works in hyboria darlings.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 16, 2008, 01:43:08 PM

Yea, that too. Respect sometimes need to be trained  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I also though like being the guy that outta nowhere says "hey, I see you just escaped a zone I'm sure you were just ganked in, want to group to get revenge". That's as much a surprise for people as getting one-shotted for stealing someone's camp.

Accountability baby!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 16, 2008, 01:49:26 PM

Stand close, ill protect you sweety  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(well, untill my necro ass gets two shoted by a ranger)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 16, 2008, 01:55:40 PM

I ran into a nasty Necro last night, he was 56 and was giving me (51 ToS) and a 50 assassin pubby some problems. I was impressed, he could feed off his pets to stay alive and do enough damage/stuns to me to leave me in bad shape constantly just battling to stay alive. If the assassin I was with had some more experience (as in don't take off running at the first sign of problems, stand and fight and let your healer keep you up) I think we woulda had em, but eventually the 56 called a truce and I accepted.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:27 AM

Is that red name thing in already? I saw a guy on a rez pad this morning with a red name out in White Sands.

Oh, and my Conqueror is 15 on Cimmeria. Athamus. Putting my money where my mouth is and all that.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 04:40:45 AM

Everyone is red to you on white sands (unless they are unde like 10 levels then they are white) and any other PVP+ area (most anywhere except major hubs).

If you think you will be sticking with the server, send me a tell on Harbodus or Slayerik. Seems as if there are a good chunk of people starting guys about now, if anyone else is interested now would be the time I imagine.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 17, 2008, 04:44:05 AM

At this point, I'm in a "we'll see" state of mind. I did like the tiny rush I had seeing that red name, thinking he was some PK guy or some such, and finding a sneaky route to avoid him. Not that I'm afraid of a fight, and he was only 4 levels above me, but I just wanted to get to the Mausoleum, finish up three quests, then log for work.

Anyways, I'm sure it's going to only take one asshat to wake me up from my fun, but you never know. So, I'm giving it a go.

I'll shoot you a tell at some point, for sure. Just getting my feet wet for now.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 17, 2008, 05:59:04 AM

Two friends and I rolled up chars on Cimmeria. They have a couple level 20s already, while I'm slowly following up with me Ranger. Works pretty good because they are a husband/wife duo that are always playing together and usually outlevel me quickly. So they make 2nd characters that stick around my level when the three of us run around. If we get into tooo much trouble, they can bring in their higher level chars to fix it.

Last night was my first night of 'pvp' in White Sands. We were finishing the Little Shop of Horrors quest in the abandoned house when we ran into another group of three that was clearing out the mobs. Of course a large battle ensues over who's gonna get the shot at the boss mob. We battled at least three times until they sent us 'Good fights' /tells and let us finish the quest while they waited.

We found at least 3 fights happened where we'd get a 'Good fight' tell afterwards and both parties would go our merry way. I was actually very impressed. Only time I've come across anyone ganking was a level 23 that we chased out of the Underhalls when enough people were sick of being killed by him. Once he died, we never saw him again.

Also have had single players use us to deathgate them out of someplace. Total suicide run and a 'thanks' afterwards, which made me laugh quite a bit the first time it happened.

Yeah, it's the first 20 levels, but so far there seems to be a sort of honor among thieves for the most part.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 17, 2008, 08:13:37 AM

Do you have a guild city or architect on Cimmeria? If not, let me know.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 17, 2008, 08:19:13 AM

I am really surprised by PvP servers in AoC. I was excepting tons of ganking, griefing and troubles while leveling, in reality, its nothing like that. Two of the servers I play on (SoulstormEU / FuryEU) you will find mostly fair PvP. There is some groups of 80s who try to be wiseguys in lowbiezones, but end up getting steamrolled by the better players and bigger wolfs. The best part about PvP servers is ; two players waiting for same respawns; You choose to group or kill the other guy to get what you want. Ow and yeah, there was a level 55 Conqueror doing the classic around the GY "Imma swinging my swords here and walking in this direction, whoever steps in my path will die" who was chased by three lvl 30-33s to Fields of the Dead. Fun times.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 17, 2008, 09:37:32 AM

I got a PoM up to 20 on an RPPVP (Hperboria?) and a Conqueror to 22 on the Deathwhisper PvP server. I kept telling myself to expect the worst, not let it get to me, but it just reinforced what I already knew, I don't care for ffa pvp. With all the people saying it was so fun I just had to try though. In the end it's just what it always is - a license for strangers to waste your time at will. And it was no better on the RP server. I ended up getting pissed off, which is pointless. Even the couple times I got the better of someone they would just fucking run away when their health got low. And beyond that, I just didn't find the combat itself fun for pvp, people are so spastic it's almost impossible to land combos. Kind of the last nail in the coffin.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 17, 2008, 09:41:18 AM

I got a PoM up to 20 on an RPPVP (Hperboria?) and a Conqueror to 22 on the Deathwhisper PvP server. I kept telling myself to expect the worst, not let it get to me, but it just reinforced what I already knew, I don't care for ffa pvp. With all the people saying it was so fun I just had to try though. In the end it's just what it always is - a license for strangers to waste your time at will. And it was no better on the RP server. I ended up getting pissed off, which is pointless. Even the couple times I got the better of someone they would just fucking run away when their health got low. And beyond that, I just didn't find the combat itself fun for pvp, people are so spastic it's almost impossible to land combos. Kind of the last nail in the coffin.

A bit adjustment is needed, about combos they will always land if you put the final blow in them, just do the combos in the air. Also RPPVP is a trap. There is nothing RP about it with the exception of the poor RP souls who really try to make it work. It has more fuckheads and griefers than normal servers. The RP label just attracts them with the intention of fucking up. I suggest trying on a regular PVP server, it is far less hostile and far more fun, don't let the shitkids ruin the game for you.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Thinking of Trying a PVP Server  
Jump to: