Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Launch.. Impressions? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Launch.. Impressions?  (Read 31121 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #70 on: May 22, 2008, 03:34:25 PM

I have never touched any of their clients ever

clients?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 22, 2008, 03:35:14 PM

If it makes you feel better I got a drinking cape code in my email today and I have never touched any of their clients ever and I'm not planning on touching AoC until July.

I'm not sure what qualified me for the thing.
shit I was a tech/closed tester and never got that frigging Email. Oh well does not matter anyway I guess. However after reading this thread I think I will ride over to Best Buy and see if I can persuade them to match Circuit City's 39.99 deal. Worst it will do is freeze I guess.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 22, 2008, 04:29:17 PM

EU Launch impressions :

Got my CE, great stuff. Servers down for five hours after launch, so can't say anything yet. Will update with proper feedback.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #73 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:56 PM

I have never touched any of their clients ever

clients?

CB, OB or release?  Or was that a funnay?  I was thinking like, haha Hoax is a hooker but it didn't quite seem obvious.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 22, 2008, 05:35:37 PM

I get a Drinking Cape as well, apparently as a reward for doing absolutely nothing except having registered to their forums 4 or 5 months ago and posting one troll post this month  awesome, for real

EDIT:  From their own mouths...

You have been a long and thrustworthy participant in our community, and as such we would like to thank you for helping us form Age of Conan into the marvelous product it is today.

long and thrustworthy!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:38:51 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 22, 2008, 09:44:04 PM

EU Launch impressions :

Got my CE, great stuff. Servers down for five hours after launch, so can't say anything yet. Will update with proper feedback.

It was an additional two hour delay after that. Two new servers were announced, one PvP server. Servers come back up, no sign of new servers. We wait. They remove servers from announcement after saying "they will fix them" and then announce later that servers will not be up until all others are filled. This is the Funcom I was expecting on launch. SoE's buttbuddy in rape.

Now there is massive whine and of course noone wants to roll on a PvP server where there is bunch of highlevel people who got an headstart. Retail = new servers.

Fuck  swamp poop

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 22, 2008, 09:56:24 PM

More drama : They were supposed to put up one new RP-PVP server. When servers came up it was labeled as RP-PVE (a ruleset that didn't exist). The solution was to just keep it RP-PVE and that was a new ruleset.

schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: May 22, 2008, 09:58:37 PM

Your first mistake was wanting to play on a PVP server.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 22, 2008, 10:00:30 PM

We are a guild, so no worries. Also we of course do not want to play on an already populated PvP server, getting spawncamped and raped by lvl40-50 players on release date is not my idea of fun. Community going bananas now on EU forums over this, waiting for Funcom to cave in.  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: May 22, 2008, 10:14:24 PM

Seriously, lame. I don't know what else to tell you.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 02:38:39 AM

Long install for retail but pretty painless with only one patch.  Graphics were meh until I turned on all the bells n whistles and I was like whoa.
I guess I am slow but I've had problems figuring out some things (I still don't know how to do a /who) but I keep getting distracted by the combat.
The combat is very fun and the best in any MMO I've played.  They did a good job reflecting the savage world of Conan here.
The quests are fairly standard but the writing is above average and some of the stories are interesting.  You help out many whores.  Which is nice.

I am still in Tortage but done with the 'oh shiny' part of the game and now I'm a questing machine.  Probably going to be a Alchemist crafter. 

Lessons have been learned here by Funcom.  Make compelling newbie area.  Have smooth launch.  Have whores, blood-letting and boobies.  Mounted combat.  Player towns, I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Seriously, I am really glad for the M rating.  It's a different flavor for MMO's to me and it's appreciated.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 23, 2008, 03:19:17 AM

Long install for retail but pretty painless with only one patch.  Graphics were meh until I turned on all the bells n whistles and I was like whoa.
I guess I am slow but I've had problems figuring out some things (I still don't know how to do a /who) but I keep getting distracted by the combat.
The combat is very fun and the best in any MMO I've played.  They did a good job reflecting the savage world of Conan here.
The quests are fairly standard but the writing is above average and some of the stories are interesting.  You help out many whores.  Which is nice.

I am still in Tortage but done with the 'oh shiny' part of the game and now I'm a questing machine.  Probably going to be a Alchemist crafter. 

Lessons have been learned here by Funcom.  Make compelling newbie area.  Have smooth launch.  Have whores, blood-letting and boobies.  Mounted combat.  Player towns, I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Seriously, I am really glad for the M rating.  It's a different flavor for MMO's to me and it's appreciated.

There's a quest in the Wild Lands where a city governor wants to throw a party for the townsfolk. He asks you to retrieve three things for him:

1. Wine from Stygia
2. Ale from Cimmeria
3. Whores from Aquilonia  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I LOL'd
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #82 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:51 AM

Fired it up last night. Thanks to Nerf and schild for some help in TS.

The only issue I had was that the game would hang at "Reading Contents" once I picked a server and tried to go to Character Creation. I ran the Verify/Repair function from Settings on the file scanning screen and it found 1921 problems. No, I did not make that number up. It re-patched and all was good.

I didn't get very far, but the game is very fun. Someone finally realized that the newbie experience has to be fun and engaging.

I have never played WoW.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 23, 2008, 05:03:06 AM

Fired it up last night. Thanks to Nerf and schild for some help in TS.

The only issue I had was that the game would hang at "Reading Contents" once I picked a server and tried to go to Character Creation. I ran the Verify/Repair function from Settings on the file scanning screen and it found 1921 problems. No, I did not make that number up. It re-patched and all was good.

I didn't get very far, but the game is very fun. Someone finally realized that the newbie experience has to be fun and engaging.

the same thing happened to me.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 07:25:34 AM

And why is having a different playstyle a mistake?

I rolled on the RP-PVP server and I have had a bunch of good fights so far. As long as you aren't afraid to group up with people, PVP servers are where it's at. Maybe you don't level to 80 as fast but who cares, I'm along for the ride for once.

Hell last night I had a riot taking on two guys repeatedly...I was a 18 ToS... they had a 16 ToS and an 18 ranger. Between my roots, stuns, heals, sprint, pots, I was able to kill one everytime and make it a long ass fight. I caught them both fighting mobs later and AoEed the piss out of them. Just good clean fun there. Might be different once I'm i the real world, but I have friends.. if shit gets too hairy I got a couple friends with way too much time (and levels) that I have the vent info for.

I also have randomly grouped people to take on higher level gankers.... took on a level 21 with like a 13 and 15. Was fun and we owned em.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 24, 2008, 05:36:23 AM

First Play Impressions:  Combat is fun so far, although I'm still an ultra-noob.  I love that things aren't sanitized for kid friendliness.  I can swim underwater.  The world is beautiful.

My play time has been very limited so far, and I'm thirty minutes from leaving for a few days, but now that I have the game, I like it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 24, 2008, 11:57:19 AM

I went to a PVE server as I wanted to relax and enjoy the game and after Eve I couldn't be assed dealing with asshole griefers and idiots (and before people call me a "whiney carebear" or something I racked up 13 billion in kills or something and 2.5 billion in losses before I went totally into covert opting because I couldn't be arsed grinding anymore) The other reason is the members of my EVE guild swapped over, are all american and I cant access their server, which pissed me off royally.

So, with a large part of the reason I bought the game in the first place gone, I said fuck it I'll use the 30 day access I got to bumble about and than I'll leave it unless I actually make some friends (doubtful) or find a guild (even more doubtful)

Game was somewhat fun. Voice acting was pretty good, music was very good, but I felt like I was walking through water a lot of the time. Seemed somewhat unrespponsive to me in other words. Havent really figured out the combat system either, but I'll get back to it monday and see if I can squeese some more fun out of it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #87 on: May 24, 2008, 12:56:46 PM

I don't understand what you're saying, SirT.  F13 is on a PvE (Zug) server and there are quite a few playing.  Why wouldn't you just join our guild?  Or am I missing something, which is often the case.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 24, 2008, 01:17:30 PM

I don't understand what you're saying, SirT.  F13 is on a PvE (Zug) server and there are quite a few playing.  Why wouldn't you just join our guild?  Or am I missing something, which is often the case.

I'm just venting Signe. I'm a European and I bought the game to hamg out with some guys I know who are US (I have trouble sleeping). Unfortunatly I cant join them becasue I'm EU. I have no idea whether Zug is EU or US but I suspect US. And as for joining F13, I'm a bit burned from EVE so I'm a bit leery of hanging with people. Also I'm actually a fairly shy person, and I dont really see myself as part of the community here other than the fact I recently started posting some rather inane posts fairly recently, so I dont think I would fit in. My own issues I know.

Short version, I'll be quiet now.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #89 on: May 24, 2008, 01:26:13 PM

I bought AoC off the shelf yesterday, went home and installed/patched it on a freshly defragged drive (SATA 1, Win XP SP2, E6300, 2G RAM, 8800 GTS 320Mb on shitty 4x PCI-E mobo). It runs like a dream - no problems whatsoever, other than occasional confusion with a quest. I was thinking it would be a heavy client that wouldn't appreciate alt-tabbing in and out, but it behaved well like WoW when I did that.

I tend to keep up with the latest drivers from http://downloads.guru3d.com but I've fallen behind a bit lately, video driver is 174.74. If you have problems, I'd suggest trying the most recent driver you can find on Guru3D - check their forums first to see if people are liking the driver.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 24, 2008, 01:27:01 PM

I'm just venting Signe. I'm a European and I bought the game to hamg out with some guys I know who are US (I have trouble sleeping). Unfortunatly I cant join them becasue I'm EU. I have no idea whether Zug is EU or US but I suspect US. And as for joining F13, I'm a bit burned from EVE so I'm a bit leery of hanging with people. Also I'm actually a fairly shy person, and I dont really see myself as part of the community here other than the fact I recently started posting some rather inane posts fairly recently, so I dont think I would fit in. My own issues I know.

Short version, I'll be quiet now.

Well if you really wanna join some peeps you know (no need to join the guild, but there are like 40 of us on Zug) I think someone else mentioned you can change a setting on one of the INI files to get access to the US servers. But then, you could also join your old guild if you did that!

- Viin
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #91 on: May 24, 2008, 01:34:46 PM

We like Europeans!  I even keep one at home!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 26, 2008, 01:38:57 PM

Question: If I just wanted to hang with you guys on Teamspeak would that be ok?

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: May 26, 2008, 01:59:58 PM

Weird, but OK. :_;
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Launch.. Impressions?  
Jump to: