Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Launch.. Impressions? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Launch.. Impressions?  (Read 31217 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: May 20, 2008, 07:38:42 PM

Even as an old school AoC fanboy, I expected a hell day today.

Somehow, their billing system is keeping up...lag is not a factor...the game is playable and fun (at this point)...

I must say I'm a little shocked right now.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:49 PM

Huge success, incredibly surprising.

I am the .00000001428%
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:53 PM

Indeed, it's hard to overstate my satisfaction with the launch so far, doesn't feel like launch day.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:19:38 PM

Getting up TO launchday was a mess, but pretty good overall.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:16 AM

The Good:

Rock solid client. I haven't had a single crash or hiccup in the game in 12 hours of play.

Rock solid servers. Have had a steady green ping except for one very brief episode that was probably net-related. No disconnects or queues.

Graphics are prettay. Buh bye cartoonsville. Caster effects are cool.

Gameplay is fun. It's diku but I like the combo system, it's like a little minigame each combat.

The storyline is top-notch.

The Bad:

Inconsistent performance. I have a quadcore CPU with an 8600 GT and 3 gigs RAM and I can barely get 30 FPS on low. Other people with similar setups are claiming 40 FPS on high. *shrug*

Poor communication by Funcom. No one knew when launch was scheduled. People were quoting Gamestop e-mails FFS... a community weenie could have handled the shitstorm in 2 minutes.

Some launch glitches, I got stuck in a wall and was luckily able to drown myself. No hearthing in Tortage sucks, especially with all the White Sands runs.

Itemization has a much weaker impact for low level melee than most games it seems. My conqueror is able to fight just as well naked with weapons as without his gear. Might be a good thing at level 80 so that gear doesn't totally dominate but the "ooh shiny" factor suffers when you know it doesnt really matter. I'm only up to level 12 so this may change, ymmv

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:49 AM

You can hearth in Tortage. What do you mean you can't?

Yea, I have an 8600GTS and an Q9450 with 2GB Ram in Vista32, getting 60FPS with some on high and some on medium when inside and 30-40 outside.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:42:13 AM

Damn it I'm starting to get excited about this. I'm a sucker for Conan and I liked AO far more than most.

Quick somebody say it sucks!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43:45 AM

My hearth spell is grayed out. I think you need to be level 20 before you can use it?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:52:49 AM

My hearth spell is grayed out. I think you need to be level 20 before you can use it?

You're doing it wrong?

ShenMolo and I were hearthing all day long. In fact, prior to 20, the length of time between hearths is like half afaik.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:08:02 AM

You're doing it wrong?

ShenMolo and I were hearthing all day long. In fact, prior to 20, the length of time between hearths is like half afaik.

Yeah I just tried and was able to do it. I tried hearthing when I was stuck and it didnt do anything. Might've been because I was swimming.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 01:08:56 AM

Can't hearth while swimming because of having to open a portal in the ground to Hell's Subway where Gordon Ramsey makes you a Spicy Italian and send you on your way.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:14:20 AM

Outside of a random bug with ATI cards that made the game completely unplayable for a few hours... this launch seems to be very good indeed.  And, I have to say that it scales nicely, because I baaarely meet the min reqs and it runs smooth.  I am running it on low settings, but still looks good enough for me and plays well.  As launches go this is one of the best I have seen.  Of course I did not get high enough to level into the zone-that-never-lets-go, whatever that was.  If they don't fix that quick it could mean some unhappy customers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 03:22:06 AM

The zone that never lets go? Reference/Source?

Anyway, as for what Nija said, I'm in the late 30s and have quests for areas from 40-45 already. I've done about 200 quests with no end in sight. It's pretty ridiculous. I've done absolutely zero grinding unless you count mapping out resource nodes as grinding - which I don't. I've always loved exploration, particularly in worlds as handcrafted as this one. Anyway, yea, launch was fucking awesome, imo. They might've had downtime, but actual server crashes or client issues were nonexistant.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:24:14 AM

There's a warning in the patcher to stay away from Lacheish Plains. Dunno if that's what Vinadil is referring to.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:54 AM

There's a warning in the patcher to stay away from Lacheish Plains. Dunno if that's what Vinadil is referring to.

Yea, I saw that but the Lacheish Plains is also where all of the sploiting was going on. I'm fairly sure they're fucking with it to fuck with people who are fucking with them. Which is a fine solution IMO as it's a pretty barren zone other than being somewhere you run across to finish a handful of quests and get a few more. That said, they're moderately low level quests that dish out 10,000 experience which is pretty unheard of around level 22-23 and all it takes is a shitload of walking (a shitload being 15 minutes worth if you pace your sprinting).

Also, are you playing the game Trippy?
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 04:02:39 AM

Inconsistent performance. I have a quadcore CPU with an 8600 GT and 3 gigs RAM and I can barely get 30 FPS on low. Other people with similar setups are claiming 40 FPS on high. *shrug*

You might try installing Nvidia's 175 beta drivers.  During the end of closed beta, each new beta driver seemed to increase performance in AoC by a lot (had a lot of people thinking they were tweaking the drivers specifically for the game but who knows).  That might be the difference.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:20:20 AM

I can honestly say news of a basiclly error free launch from Funcom of all people is icredibly surprising, especially considering teh Open beta appeared to be something of a fiasco.

*sigh* Based on what you rose color glasses jerks are saying, i'll bite and will pick up a copy.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 04:27:16 AM

Quote from: Montague link=topic=13234.msg452177# :sad:msg452177 date=1211353936

The inconsistency is more than likely due to us all having different monitors. Hell, I'm sure I could run the game decently with my dinky 7300gt IF my screen wasn't 24".  cry
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:27 AM

After I download the bazillionth patch, yeah.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:52:26 AM

Well there goes my entertainment. A solid launch? From Funcom?! Son of a...

Guess I'll have to pick this freakin game up, then.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 05:25:19 AM

It was the plains I was talking about... and my only info was a couple of guildies who got stuck and the warning on the front page.  All in all this launch and the gameplay itself has been good enough to convince quite a number of fence sitters (me included) to grab a copy.  Even after as many MMOs as I have run through, I find myself just enjoying the journey here, playing the game to see it unfold rather than just racing to some sort of "end game" experience.  If the rest of the game is as good as the newb experience then, well then bravo Funcom for a job well done.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:04 AM

Poor communication by Funcom. No one knew when launch was scheduled.

I thought the game was still in beta! O_O

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:36 AM

The game seemed to launch okay.  There weren't the expected Funcom problems and I didn't hear of computers that spontaneously combusted or anything.  There were few problems in the game but loads of issues for people outside the game.  Funcom just doesn't handle their business well.  They don't communicate at all, for the most part.  The whole EA thing was a mess.  Not having a grace period for preorders is beyond stupid.  If I hadn't been in the EA, I wouldn't be playing right now although I've ordered the game.  That's just not right.

One good thing... people are starting to make mods.  Mirage has wee one out already and I'm sure there will be more coming... hopefully fast and furious.  This UI is horrible, horrible, horrible.  I hate how it's set up and it makes me cranky.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 05:59:39 AM

It's been the worst launch I've ever been in.  Or not been in.  Fucking pre-order early access that doesn't give access coupled with idiocy on both Funcom's and Best Buy's behalf.  Support behind a registered users only forum?  Brilliant.

It's great that it was technically competant, but providing the service side of things is important, too.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 06:01:53 AM

It's hard to blame a developer for a retailer fuckup. This isn't in defense of Funcom as we walked into EBGames, bought another copy, and DannyBStyle was playing within 10 minutes of doing that. Installed from the disks in my set, in fact. As the key isn't tied to the client, just the log in name. There will be salty tears in heaven before Funcom apologizes for not making more than 880k boxes available on day 1. In other words, blame the retailer and only the retailer.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 06:03:26 AM

Yea, I saw that but the Lacheish Plains is also where all of the sploiting was going on. I'm fairly sure they're fucking with it to fuck with people who are fucking with them. Which is a fine solution IMO as it's a pretty barren zone other than being somewhere you run across to finish a handful of quests and get a few more. That said, they're moderately low level quests that dish out 10,000 experience which is pretty unheard of around level 22-23 and all it takes is a shitload of walking (a shitload being 15 minutes worth if you pace your sprinting).

I got stuck there but logged in this morning and managed to hearth out.  The exploit was in the zone leading to it, field of the dead, not Lacheish.  Lacheish is just a resource gathering zone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 06:05:31 AM

Ah. That explains it. Weird.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 06:28:04 AM

It's hard to blame a developer for a retailer fuckup. This isn't in defense of Funcom as we walked into EBGames, bought another copy, and DannyBStyle was playing within 10 minutes of doing that. Installed from the disks in my set, in fact. As the key isn't tied to the client, just the log in name. There will be salty tears in heaven before Funcom apologizes for not making more than 880k boxes available on day 1. In other words, blame the retailer and only the retailer.
I blame both.  Funcom misled me.  (On more than just the early access being shut off.  Let's not make me do the full write up.)  Best Buy compounded the problem.  Neither was willing to do shit about it.

I had to sort it out.  Yes, being a week late to game isn't the end of the world, it's just an annoyance.

My launch day impressions:  CoX Issue 12 had some great quality of life issues!

AoC launch impression:  misinformation, false advertising, lack of information, retailer screw-ups, more retailer screw-ups, lack of support and lacking support.

The thread asked for impressions.  Mine was I couldn't play because people made a series of screw ups.  It's as valid as "THIS GAME IS THE FUCKING SHIT! Heart"

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 06:49:47 AM

Schild what resolution do you play at?  I am at 1680x1050 and I get about 40 frames per second 8800 GTS, Intel Core Duo E6750 and running Windows XP.  I think my setting are set to Medium for now.

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 06:50:59 AM

1920x1200. I've tweaked the FUCK out of the advanced settings though. My high-res view distance is shit. My shadows of all but off. Specular mapping and parallax mapping are on though. At this very moment I'm getting 64.3 frames per second. Remember though, I have a Q9450 and all 4 cores are at 60% right now. It's a very processor intensive game and seems to utilize them well.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 06:54:04 AM

I have a Q9450 and all 4 cores are at 60% right now. It's a very processor intensive game and seems to utilize them well.

That is impressive. Is WAR going to multi-core compatible?

I have never played WoW.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 06:55:19 AM

Note: I'm scoring the launch excluding the retailer issues (two friends were caught in the Best Buy backorder crap, and another had zero issues with EB), and totally skipping the early start access.

I walked into Futureshop and picked up my boxed copy and created my account at work with zero issues. Went home and installed and patched with zero issues (I had another install on primary vista box so I checked with a secondary system) on a remarkably fast patcher download. Logged in quick with no delays and created an account and played all night with zero issues.

After playing for a few hours I can say here are good parts and the bad parts.

Overall, good launch imho.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01:28 AM

I was really planning on having this game entertain me with a horribly failed launch, but it turns out it is entertaining me by actually being a fun game (so far).  I'm particularly impressed that I'm still having fun post-Tortage.  Arguably more so, in fact.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 07:09:13 AM

1920x1200. I've tweaked the FUCK out of the advanced settings though. My high-res view distance is shit. My shadows of all but off. Specular mapping and parallax mapping are on though. At this very moment I'm getting 64.3 frames per second. Remember though, I have a Q9450 and all 4 cores are at 60% right now. It's a very processor intensive game and seems to utilize them well.

I was going to say the exact opposite. I'm not seeing over 50-60% CPU load under Vista at 1680x1050 with "medium" detail selected at ~40FPS.

System specs:
Vista Home SP1 64bit
E2180(2.0Ghz) thats OC'd to 2.5Ghz
4GB (PC2-8500)
P35 chipset (GA-P35-DSL)
Samsung T series 500GB SATA HDD (AHCI mode, and the T series is slower then normal 7200rpm)
8800GT 512MB (not OC'd)

Curious, I have access to a q6600 at work that i'll plunk in for "testing".
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:01 AM

I have always been, and still am suspicious of Vista. Its has never said to me "I am a gaming OS".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Launch.. Impressions?  
Jump to: