Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: US Servers Downtime 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Servers Downtime  (Read 35899 times)
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:23 AM

doh....here it is:

At the moment pre-order accounts, which are not part of the Early Access program or have not yet registered a valid retail-key, are put into frozen status. This is because only Early Access customers and those with a registerd retail-key are actually allowed to play on the servers.

These pre-order accounts are also blocked from accessing the forums as they are only available for customers with currently active game accounts (which right now the pre-order accounts without a valid retail-key are not)

This is actually correct behaviour of the billing system. As soon as the servers have been opened for launch, these customers will have to enter a valid retail-key in order to unfreeze their accounts and get access to the game servers and the forums.

We will open read access to the forums for everybody soon. But it will always be that only customers with valid game accounts will be allowed to write posts and engage in discussions with the community.
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 03:12:13 AM

Oh my god that is the fucking stupidest thing I have ever seen.

This is the first game I have ever played that did not give a grace period to those that preordered but did not have their Box key yet :(

Wow this is just... wow.

So basically why even let people preorder?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 03:16:13 AM

Oh my god that is the fucking stupidest thing I have ever seen.

This is the first game I have ever played that did not give a grace period to those that preordered but did not have their Box key yet :(

Wow this is just... wow.

So basically why even let people preorder?

So you can make announcements to your shareholders about how well your game is expected to do.  Preorders aren't for the gamers they're for the accounting dept.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 03:17:45 AM

I am so pissed right now... nerd rage!

How can they not allow a grace period?  Just cancel accounts and freeze people out?  When were they going to announce this?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 03:19:51 AM

Didn't you see? They announced it on the forums awesome, for real
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 20, 2008, 03:26:00 AM

Didn't you see? They announced it on the forums awesome, for real

Heh yeah I blame myself for not checking the official forums myself... oh wait.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #76 on: May 20, 2008, 04:55:15 AM

"Information
Something failed
Our brightest nerds are on the case
Please try again in a while"

So, I can't reactivate my never working pre-order account?!? SWEET

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 20, 2008, 06:10:01 AM

Heart Funcom.

Popcorn
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #78 on: May 20, 2008, 06:11:46 AM

So, actually, only the people who picked up one of those boxes the retailer shouldn't have been selling until the 20th, or who were lucky enough to have them shipped before they were supposed to go out are the only people who can play except for the preorder EA people who paid $5?  Nice.  Most people haven't got their boxes yet and most won't be shipped until today.  In other words, mistakes and people who give them money....  Maybe they should just offer Funcom a fiver.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 20, 2008, 06:13:41 AM

So, actually, only the people who picked up one of those boxes the retailer shouldn't have been selling until the 20th, or who were lucky enough to have them shipped before they were supposed to go out are the only people who can play except for the preorder EA people who paid $5?  Nice.  Most people haven't got their boxes yet and most won't be shipped until today.  In other words, mistakes and people who give them money....  Maybe they should just offer Funcom a fiver.
This is correct as I see it.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #80 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:42 AM

This is correct as I see it.

If you had preordered, payed EA and not get into the game, I'd understand the rage, but from the sounds of it, you got a preorder key early, but didn't pay the $5 EA, so you got in by a mistake on Funcom's part, yes?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #81 on: May 20, 2008, 06:43:52 AM

I'm confused. I went and bought it yesterday -- and the guy gave me a box. Was he not supposed to give me one that early?

Either way, it seems that I've activated my account. Haven't installed yet, but I guess I'm in.
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 20, 2008, 06:47:23 AM

I am not following Engels.

Myself, I only have the preorder key registered.  I setup a subscription and account with that key, and waited till today to try and play then I login and can't get in so check the forums and I see this:

So I start freaking out thinking that maybe my account has been compromised or maybe I did something wrong and I see this:

So now I am wondering what gives then I read what they posted on the forums that I can't even see and I become incensed.  I have no clue how an MMO company could possibly see that as a solution to any problem, and frankly throwing our words like Canceled and Banned at an honest paying customer when it is no fault of their own is just poor form.

Banning us from the forums is doubly bad, how am I supposed to get information on what is going on?

Edit: I didn't cancel the account, but yet it says that I did... wtf?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:49:56 AM by Vanifae »

Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 20, 2008, 06:49:15 AM

I'm confused. I went and bought it yesterday -- and the guy gave me a box. Was he not supposed to give me one that early?

Either way, it seems that I've activated my account. Haven't installed yet, but I guess I'm in.
You have to have the key from the retail box, which if you preordered and waiting for the box to arrive at your home means you can't play and Funcom treats you like a pariah :(

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #84 on: May 20, 2008, 07:02:14 AM

Edit: nm

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #85 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:45 AM

I have heard of this happening if you used a pre-order code and then cancelled your order, did you ever do that?
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 20, 2008, 08:24:46 AM

At the moment pre-order accounts, which are not part of the Early Access program or have not yet registered a valid retail-key, are put into frozen status. This is because only Early Access customers and those with a registered retail-key are actually allowed to play on the servers.

These pre-order accounts are also blocked from accessing the forums as they are only available for customers with currently active game accounts (which right now the pre-order accounts without a valid retail-key are not)

This is actually correct behavior of the billing system. As soon as the servers have been opened for launch, these customers will have to enter a valid retail-key in order to unfreeze their accounts and get access to the game servers and the forums.

We will open read access to the forums for everybody soon. But it will always be that only customers with valid game accounts will be allowed to write posts and engage in discussions with the community.

Well. that's nice to know that they've informed... people who can actually view the boards that the people who can't view the boards are supposed to not be able to view the boards. And such.

Um.

What?

I wonder how many tickets along the lines of 'wtf is my account baned for not even logging in you cock-bastards!?' are clogging up the customer support queue?

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 20, 2008, 08:27:09 AM

So the best buy mess is apparently going to effect a lot of people. Stopped by this am with a co-worker and a sales reps there said  "the release date was pushed back to the 22nd". If you poke around the forums; the shipping is taking place today and they are back ordered meaning a lot of preorders may not make it till the 27th.  ACK!

I'll poke around my local Futureshop today as they should have some stock.
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 20, 2008, 08:27:57 AM

I have heard of this happening if you used a pre-order code and then cancelled your order, did you ever do that?
I didn't do that till today when I canceled my preorder and just bought the game at Best Buy.

Yeah wee.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 20, 2008, 08:31:34 AM

I'm still trying to understand why retailers cannot ship a game early when the only way to friggin' play it is by accessing a server that won't be turned on until the game company is ready.

Given I got screwed over on not receiving a pre-order box, luckily bought the last one on the shelves at a brick and mortor, got that too late for early access, and now my "open" account is cancelled until my box arrives in five days, I'm getting a little miffed.  Give me a fuckin' grace period, or the $5 option to get a few days, or something.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 20, 2008, 08:33:32 AM

I'm still trying to understand why retailers cannot ship a game early when the only way to friggin' play it is by accessing a server that won't be turned on until the game company is ready.

Given I got screwed over on not receiving a pre-order box, luckily bought the last one on the shelves at a brick and mortor, got that too late for early access, and now my "open" account is cancelled until my box arrives in five days, I'm getting a little miffed.  Give me a fuckin' grace period, or the $5 option to get a few days, or something.
The grace period is the simplest and most elegant solution to this whole debacle.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 20, 2008, 08:36:23 AM

And apparently my order went backordered last night and is now said to be shipping in 1-2 days. 

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #92 on: May 20, 2008, 10:02:03 AM

Usually, a game company allows a grace period for pre-orders to play when servers go live to take into account shipping delays.  Funcom, apparently, did not.

If you Pre-Ordered, and payed the $5 Early Access Fee, you should technically be allowed to play for the 10 days that came with the Early Access fee.  If you cannot, there's a problem.  Please note:  Some stores require a $5 deposit for pre-orders.  This is not the same as the $5 Early Access fee required by Funcom.

If you Pre-Ordered, and did not purchase the Early Access, your account should have been frozen (as mine was) last night when servers went live.  You will have to wait until your retail key arrives and upgrade your account with that key.  (Suspicion: this is not verified in any way, but I suspect there may be issues if your pre-order key and the retail key do not match sources.)

If you have your retail key, here's how to upgrade your account.

Go to https://register.ageofconan.com/account/ and log into your account.

You will see an option (5th one down) that says "Use a Key to add a Prepaid Card, Upgrade a Subscription or Create a Subscription"
Click that.
You will be given a text field to enter your cd-key.  Do so.
Click "Validate Key"
You will be given two options. 1) Create new subscriptions 2) Upgrade [your account name]
Choose to upgrade (many have just created a new subscription and now have their in game items on a banned account, and their playable account without items... don't do that)
Verify once again your payment options.
Your account will then be successfully upgraded.

This is the process I (and several others) used, and are now playing the game.  If you still have problems, you'll probably have to wade through Funcom Bureaucracy Tech Support. 

[Edit] after typing this up, I double checked the account registration page.  Right up top now they placed a text field to upgrade your account.  I do not know the steps involved with this new text field, but I would imagine it is similar.   

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 20, 2008, 10:16:57 AM

And apparently my order went backordered last night and is now said to be shipping in 1-2 days. 

You should order one of these to cheer yourself up:

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #94 on: May 20, 2008, 10:42:34 AM

Those are adorable!  I would wear slippers that looked like that!   Heart

And thanks for the info, Bzalthek!   smiley

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #95 on: May 20, 2008, 10:53:56 AM

I didn't do that till today when I canceled my preorder and just bought the game at Best Buy.

Yeah wee.
I guess it is a "known issue".
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:01 AM

If they really didn't want pre-orders in the game without the Early Access fee being paid, they shouldn't have even let you setup an account yet. They should have made everyone wait until their retail key came in and then applied the preorder key to get your special items.

- Viin
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 20, 2008, 11:41:16 AM

If they really didn't want pre-orders in the game without the Early Access fee being paid, they shouldn't have even let you setup an account yet. They should have made everyone wait until their retail key came in and then applied the preorder key to get your special items.
Yeah I agree with this.

Don't even call it a preorder key, call it the Bonus Key, or something inane like that.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 20, 2008, 12:01:23 PM

Haha.  Funny.  Still subscribers only.

You should order one of these to cheer yourself up:
I was given one for my last birthday.  I carted her around a few days like I was five.  awesome, for real

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #99 on: May 20, 2008, 12:07:12 PM

Oh, you can only see the thread if you're logged in?

I will quote the OP and official responses.

The account linked to my mammoth cd-key was banned, any dev help me out? i made no negative comments..maybe an accident?

Quote from: Funcom
Its a know issue, we are working on it. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Cheers,
Waldgeist

same happend to me. I did make some negative comments though. Figured they perma banned me, then it froze my account. I just created a new one with my key. Worked out well, shows all of my pre order bonus items now. Just create a new account and avoid all the hassles.
If you get banned because of too much infraction points you can always see why and who did it, so if you are banned for no reason its the issues not you being sooo bad

The forum is linked to the game accounts, we have an issue with incorrectly frozen EA accounts which then also cause the forum account to be banned.

If the EA issues gets resolved you all should be able to use the forum again

I hope that clears the confusion for you.

Cheers,
Waldgeist
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: US Servers Downtime  
Jump to: