Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  (Read 127120 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #280 on: May 29, 2008, 12:52:52 AM

Yep.
schild
Administrator

Reply #281 on: May 29, 2008, 10:19:07 AM

Now that I'm playing a Priest of Mitra, I can honestly say that the group Window is too fucking small. WTB RESIZE PLZ.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:57 AM

Now that I'm playing a Priest of Mitra, I can honestly say that the group Window is too fucking small. WTB RESIZE PLZ.

Do PoMs have combat combos? I found moving the combo window near the group window helped direct my eyes there. But since all heals are aoe group heals you don't really need to pay attention to health bars. Oh another tip, there is an option that turns targets target on, creates a little bar next to your target bar. 
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #283 on: May 29, 2008, 10:57:07 AM

The mirage UI has a bigger group window. You can use that without all the other ui changes if you want. Instructions are in the huge thread in the official forums, or perhaps curse by now.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:51 PM

Do PoMs have combat combos? I found moving the combo window near the group window helped direct my eyes there. But since all heals are aoe group heals you don't really need to pay attention to health bars. Oh another tip, there is an option that turns targets target on, creates a little bar next to your target bar. 

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you just can't see the bars at higher resolutions.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #285 on: May 29, 2008, 02:03:44 PM

PoMs have spellweaving, so thats a no to combos.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #286 on: May 29, 2008, 08:56:08 PM

5 minute feedback. I have to quit the game to change characters? lame. Or am I missing something? No "logout" option? Oh and the installer doesn't eject a disc when it needs the next one - leaving me without my audio queue to pay attention whilst I surf on another machine. I know, but in my book that's "polish".

EDIT: But the boobies are good, and there's a slider!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:10:12 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #287 on: May 29, 2008, 09:14:18 PM

You have to 'log out' to get to the char select screen, but in terms of time spent, its probably just about the same as if you were just taken to the char select screen, I bet. Still needs to load the graphics and what not.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:28 AM

5 minute feedback. I have to quit the game to change characters? lame. Or am I missing something? No "logout" option? Oh and the installer doesn't eject a disc when it needs the next one - leaving me without my audio queue to pay attention whilst I surf on another machine. I know, but in my book that's "polish".

EDIT: But the boobies are good, and there's a slider!
Use /camp.

The boob slider doesn't do much.  Or maybe they're just so freakishly large it isn't apparent.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: May 30, 2008, 04:57:26 PM

I swear it seems like more of a sag slider.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: May 30, 2008, 08:27:02 PM

Hrm.  Either the novelty is wearing off after having limited gametime due to RL or I'm just getting burnt out by MMOs but I'm starting to want to log on less and less.  I seem to be past the point where I don't get any new abilities (so my gameplay doesn't change at all as I level), the quests have me running way too much (I'm almost 40 but I"m not even close to having enough money to buy a horse), when I read the feats they feel more like buffs rather than additions to my spell/combo arsenal which doesn't make me excited or interested in spending my feat points, and the game "upgraded" my combo (which is an oxymoron anyway since thecombo upgrades as you level regardless if it's a "I" or "III") but it totally changed how I use the combo (without adding another layer) so I keep missing the combo, which is kind of annoying. 

Honestly, the combo thing is looking kinda meh as I look at the ability list and see what the combos require at high levels.  I mean, the extra buttons you have to press to get to the final combo effect just gets longer and longer with no (seemingly) benefit in between.  They could have put small different effects for each hit (so say, each attack does the final effect but at higher damage/mana drain/whatever) and made the gameplay so much more interesting.

Another thing, I can't believe it but I honestly agree with everyone talking about how powerful they felt.  My HoX just feels boring because I can take out groups of mobs 2 levels higher than me without flinching.  It's so boring and uninteresting.  Sure I could "challenge" myself by taking on higher levels but 1) I don't have any quests for mobs that high and 2) due ot the power scaling it's very much that the difference between 2 and 3 levels higher than me goes from easy mode to complete ass rape.  I'm tempted to make a necro just so I'm not so powerful, but I spawned on the beach and kind of went "I don't really want to do this newbie stuff again right now."

Levels 1-20 had me hoping there were like main quests that you could do and have an ongoing adventure.  It goes from epic rpg to mindless MMO quest grinding.  The only main questline happens once at level 30, then another quest at level 50  swamp poop  The action rpg feeling is totally gone to me now.

In regards to loot, at first I didn't mind the shit drops but now that I am still using my level 20 weapon at level 37 it's starting to get to me. 

I've gone from loving this game to not wanting to log on in the span of a week....
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #291 on: May 30, 2008, 10:41:32 PM

I will totally agree that this game needed a Destiny quest that lasted the whole game.  I think one for each archetype and race would have been perfect, instead of random quests that:

1.  have me running all over god knows where, and
2.  Have no coherent POI grouping.

I think WoW and the little bit I played LotRO spoiled me on how quest hubs are setup.  They were simple and intuitive in both games, and that's a feature I miss in AoC.  I know it's making my leveling take longer than it really should because I'm not mutitasking well.

Luckily I'm having fun with the prospect of helping get the guild city off the ground and maybe getting a keep up for sieges. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #292 on: May 30, 2008, 11:08:29 PM

Honestly, the levels in this game may seem like they're taking a long time, but it is, by far - the fastest leveling MMOG I've played. About to hit 40 on another toon and my ranger is 26 and my necro is 13. Once you get to 40 once, it's a cakewalk. WoW to 28 took more than all of my levels combined thus far.

Also, fuck yea Keep siege. i want to control at least one resource node for a Long While in the borderlands.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: May 31, 2008, 04:05:08 AM

WoW to 28 took more than all of my levels combined thus far.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: May 31, 2008, 04:10:02 AM

I'm sorta feeling the same way as KallDrexx, so I won't repeat those concerns.
One thing thats bugging me is level locked feats, I find since level 35 I've just been banking feat points so I can get the next one in the line when I get to the level required for it rather then spread them around. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #295 on: May 31, 2008, 04:27:04 AM

I swear it seems like more of a sag slider.
Yes it does. It looks fine in the CC screen but once you start putting clothes over them it just looks bad.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #296 on: May 31, 2008, 05:44:47 AM

One thing thats bugging me is level locked feats, I find since level 35 I've just been banking feat points so I can get the next one in the line when I get to the level required for it rather then spread them around. 

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I've got four feat points banked at 38 just waiting for 40.  I thought that was odd...
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: May 31, 2008, 08:44:36 AM

In regards to loot, at first I didn't mind the shit drops but now that I am still using my level 20 weapon at level 37 it's starting to get to me. 

Just buy a level 30 vendor weapon or check the ah for something better, why would you rely on stuff you find only.

I am the .00000001428%
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: May 31, 2008, 09:51:29 AM

Please highlight this huge thing I'm sure everyone loathes: Almost all the feats and class information are just lose uninformative feats which we have to play a quiz around to find out if it's usable or useless. An example can be :

Now : Smash'N'Crush : Increases the combo starter damage done by Cyclone of Steel.

Should be : Smash'N'Crush : Increases the combo starter damage done by Cyclone of Steel by 15/35/45%.

Also the tooltip beneath melee attacks should be changed to show damage range of the attack so it is easier to figure how effective each attack is and if it is worth downranking / does more damage with DW/2H, compare weapons etcetra. Should be simple coding, a calculation based on weapon damage and the ability (just like on spells show damage ranges from XXX-XXX for example).

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: May 31, 2008, 10:53:09 AM

Regarding the skill/feat description things, it'd be cool if there were less misspellings/grammatical errors.  Also, actual errors aside, many of the descriptions are just badly written.  One of the guardian abilities I just got described itself as "another ability that does such and such."  Ability descriptions should not begin with "another."  They should be describing themselves in isolation unless they specifically interact with other abilities.

Also, I feel obliged to call out the HoX feats and ability descriptions in particular as atrociously written.  One of the final feats in one of the trees casts a curse on a target which causes all damage on their allies to also damage the cursed target.  Here is the description:

"Grants a spell that curses both the primary target and any nearby enemies, secondary targets.  These secondary targets then inflict damage on the primary target any time they are hit.  So a general cursed by the spell will be damaged by his nearby men is getting hit."

The first sentence is fucked up.  The last sentence is not only fucked up, it shouldn't even be there at all.  Even if it wasn't grammatically fucked, it sounds like some sniveling little ability trying desperately to explain why it is cool.  "No really, this is totally cool, imagine if it was like this awesome shit was happening!"

There are tons of ability descriptions that read like that.  The end of the Burn to Death description is "The herald grimly laughs at their agonized shrieks."  You don't have to fucking SAY that.  Don't tell me what the fuck my character is feeling when he uses an ability.  Just say what it DOES.

Also, perhaps the description of bear shaman in the character select screen could spell "resurrect" correctly (hint:  not "ressurect").

Yeah, I know you're all probably thinking I'm anal.  I would agree if these were even remotely isolated, but frankly the tooltips are fucking rife with unprofessional writing and flat-out errors.

Oh yeah, don't use "they" in ability/feat descriptions without establishing who the fuck the pronoun is referring to.  "Using their sword as their focus, they stab it into the earth at their feet and..."

I really goddamn wish there was a simple reporting tool for spelling/grammar mistakes in MMOs.  Especially this one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:56:13 AM by Abelian75 »
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: May 31, 2008, 11:12:15 AM

Fucking Norwegians. They are horrible at English. At a Funcom presentation here in Oslo the last part was in English. All I kept thinking was how much I wish they hired an American / Brit / English speaking PR guy. I feel at times they try to pull some Paul Barnett-like exaggerations, but with the Norglish dialect and speaking English the way Norwegian sentences are built up it went : "And heeur is this an ANOTHER AKSHUEL mount'en which you can AKSHUALLY klimb. And at the top is this a boss which you can kill with your sword. (They use actually and another too much due to the way we speak Norwegian and we use the word faktisk(actually) or enda en(another) far more and even start sentences with them). This is not even High School grammar and they fail.

Their Game Masters are also terrible at English. From what I've seen and experienced, they don't capitalize nor use full stops so it looks like an IRC chat most of the time. I saw a female GM in Tortage and she was a gigantor, for shits and giggles I shouted "That's a HUUUGE bitch!" and she(he?) whispered me "hehe, yes we game masters are bigger THEN regular players". I so wanted to start an e-war of how a GM should act and speak, but fuck it. I'll let others slaughter their incompetence. Game Masters should be RP-masters.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #301 on: May 31, 2008, 11:26:47 AM

Odd, when I was studying in Japan, many of my classmates were Norwegian exchange students.  They said pretty much everybody in Norway learns English, and all of the ones I knew could speak it very fluently.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: May 31, 2008, 11:36:41 AM

Odd, when I was studying in Japan, many of my classmates were Norwegian exchange students.  They said pretty much everybody in Norway learns English, and all of the ones I knew could speak it very fluently.

We do and everyone can speak it. How well? That's another chapter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kaeh8FRPANs&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:38:17 AM by photek »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:09 AM

They're also the ones who were allowed to leave the country.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: May 31, 2008, 11:58:44 AM

Given the state of alot of the game systems, your lucky there a tooltips at all.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 31, 2008, 01:04:56 PM

Just buy a level 30 vendor weapon or check the ah for something better, why would you rely on stuff you find only.

A few reasons.

1) The vendors only seem to offer weapons every 10 levels, so instead of 1 weapon for 20 levels it's 2, woopdie doo.

2) The level 30 vendor weapon offers like 3 dps more than the level 20 item, and the vendor weapon doesn't have the 2 str and dex that my level 20 has.  THis is further complicated by teh fact that I don't know what the difference it would be at. 

3) Honestly, I didn't even think about buying a vendor weapon until you said that.  The reason is because every time I go out my inventory seems to immediately fill up with utter shit that is a 100x downgrade from my current weapon.  I'm not wanting an omguber upgrade every 10 minutes, I'd be happy enough if I could get either items with similar but different stats (so I could, you know min/max and have different weapons for different things) or even if the weapons were exactly the same but looked different, so I could min/max my character's appearance.  Either one is fine, but god damn give me one of these.  I'd rather they just up the money from loot and stopped dropping utter junk.

This applies for all items, not just weapons.  Right now, when you get a good item everyone who has completed that quest in the past 5-10 levels has that item because getting usable items that are upgrades (or similar to the current item) is so rare.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:51 PM

If you need a great weapon from lvl 31 to 40ish there is a blue sword that drops from the Ymirish Destroyers / Sorcerers (the northeast area in Conalls Valley). It will drop fairly often from them, and they are great XP, find two more guys and do all quests there and raid through the place 2-3 times. 3-4 levels just there.

EDIT : Two-handed sword.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #307 on: May 31, 2008, 01:39:48 PM

Have you tried looking at a trader? They have some sort of rudimentary auction system in place.  I looked up 2HB weapons last night and a number of them were listed. 

And yah, I'm having problems upgrading (armor mostly).  I have no idea what degree the different stats actually affect you.  undecided

Edit: Oops, AH was already suggested. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:52:20 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #308 on: May 31, 2008, 02:14:05 PM

Honestly, the levels in this game may seem like they're taking a long time, but it is, by far - the fastest leveling MMOG I've played. About to hit 40 on another toon and my ranger is 26 and my necro is 13. Once you get to 40 once, it's a cakewalk. WoW to 28 took more than all of my levels combined thus far.

It may be faster, but it's a similar pattern to AO - more levels than other games, very fast at first, slowing up at the high end.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: May 31, 2008, 09:08:37 PM

And yah, I'm having problems upgrading (armor mostly).  I have no idea what degree the different stats actually affect you.  undecided

I'm considering going naked to see if there's much of a difference between 23 naked and 23 with armor.

I have no idea what the numbers mean if anything at all.
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #310 on: May 31, 2008, 10:14:30 PM

OK I have a lot of things I'm not liking but this is the one that's just made me log out (again) to go play something else:

Respawn rates. They're always wrong! In the Tortage nighttime quest "dungeons" they're too fast - one death and you have to clear every single damn soldier all over again. But in the areas like White Sands and the Underhalls they're far, far too low. Case in point, I just woke up at 6am and logged on, went into the Underhalls and checked how many instances there were. Only 2, so it can't be that busy (it's 6am, right?). Not a single mob. Nothing. Took me over 5 minutes to find ONE Red Hand dude and I need to kill FIFTY of them. Whoopee.

Got one character to 38 so far and pretty much every single quest I've done I've had to compete with other people for the quest mobs or items. With all this instancing going on why is this the case? It feels like a single player game except there's a load of arseholes around killing the mobs I want. Waiting for respawns and struggling for mobs is not fun.

I know it's early days but this is frustrating me massively and it doesn't feel like it should be happening this much. It only takes one or two people to completely clear out a fairly large area for what feels like a fairly long time. Very, very frustrating, and being frustrated for no good reason makes me go "meh, time for summat else".

Edit: small update to this... it's bad bad bad quest design mostly at fault. Example: "Red Hand Death" quest, get 20 scorpion and 20 snake poisons. OK, I go to the cave where the snakes & scorpions are and there's nobody else there, yay! And every single kill = 1 quest item, no idiotic rare drop rates, yay again! Except I clear the *entire* cave, every single damn thing and get slightly under half the drops I need to complete the quest. WTF? Either the map designers aren't talking to the quest writers or they're they same person and they're an idiot!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:05:27 AM by apocrypha »

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
schild
Administrator

Reply #311 on: June 01, 2008, 01:27:16 AM

The new itemization of Sanctum hit recently. Don't know when, last patch I assume.

Amazing equipment. All sorts, cloth to heavy, knives to two-handed swords. All bosses drop 2-3 blue items, every time. And it's all fucking awesome.

Officially, when they want to itemize, it's amazing. AMAZING.

Also, unique art. My new breastplate is real and it's spectacular.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #312 on: June 01, 2008, 03:10:47 AM

There have been a couple levels here and there that have dragged because I burned through the quests a little too fast. 40-45 in the Field of the Dead has been a breeze though.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: June 01, 2008, 05:34:29 AM

Because itemization isn't important to have ready at release apparently:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=49917

We know right now people are feeling like all armor in Age of Conan is the same and brown. I assure you this is not the case, for along time now we have had a "GM area" where we spawned lots of NPC's that had all sorts of armor appearances so we could tell when art was completed. We have one of these for armor, weapons, and social clothing. Hundreds upon hundreds of appearances.

Anyway to cut to the chase I took your guys concerns and shot an email to Ole Herbjornsen our Lead Designer to ask about Itemization. Ole came back with some very encouraging news. They are going to put blue loot on bosses in the outdoor playfields now and not only on bosses in instances. In addition 3 sets of epic armours for each class (for a total of 36) will allow the item designers to move more of the unique stuff down to lower tiers and over from purple and blue towards green.

The gfx artists will also produce a lot of extra weapons which will further increase the visual variety. He expects these things to be coming into the game within the next week or two.
schild
Administrator

Reply #314 on: June 01, 2008, 06:26:35 AM

I just started my Tempest of Set.

The lightning tree is the most imbalanced thing I've ever seen on a priest in any game. How design even came up with that just staggers my brain. I'm not even level 10 and just from looking at the tree I know I'm going to be a walking god. Should have seen if the name Imhotep was available.

Point being,  ACK! is this game unbalanced for PVP. Why anyone would even play on a PVP server with the state of PoM, Ranger, and ToS is beyond me. Just altogether stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  
Jump to: