Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  (Read 125455 times)
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #105 on: May 22, 2008, 01:31:58 AM

I keep getting stuck on small objects like rocks and campfires.  Sometimes, like the rocks, I don't even know they are there.  Sometimes I can just back out and move on but I know at least once I had to jump to escape that four inch rock.

You would think my character would have the ability step over these small obstacles but I guess not.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 22, 2008, 05:17:06 AM

I keep getting stuck on small objects like rocks and campfires.  Sometimes, like the rocks, I don't even know they are there.  Sometimes I can just back out and move on but I know at least once I had to jump to escape that four inch rock.

You would think my character would have the ability step over these small obstacles but I guess not.

Yea there are definitely lots of little invisible snags and walls all over the terrain. Some are nothing more than a sharp edge in a terrain feature. So far they have only been a minor annoyance.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #107 on: May 22, 2008, 06:07:36 AM

I don't like that there's a button simply marked leave in the guild management tab that will cause you to quit the guild without so much as a "are you sure you want to quit the guild?"

On a related note, I'm going to need a reinvite into the guild at some point  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Stop touching everything!  Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to touch it.  (my mother used to say that all the time)

Also, yesterday I punched a soldier almost clean through a wall with only his leg sticking out at a weird angle.  Awesome shades of City of Heroes! 

Later I'll dig out my headset and use TS.  I'm trying out one of those AoC keyboard thingys and the keys are too small and I keep missing letters and typing nonsense.  I'm close to breaking it into bits!  Oh wait... it comes that way!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 22, 2008, 06:27:49 AM

If you find stuff like this do the /stuck command. It'll get you out and log a report of the location so maybe they'll fix it at some point.

- Viin
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #109 on: May 22, 2008, 06:38:32 AM

-On a "full" server you cannot create a new character. This kinda sucks is the server full so a friend cannot create a character there in low load hours?

I foresee drama. Huge guilds separated by Early Accessors and "Releasors".
That kind of drama will involve my guild too, in 24 hours. Agh...

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #110 on: May 22, 2008, 09:27:47 AM

Yea there are definitely lots of little invisible snags and walls all over the terrain. Some are nothing more than a sharp edge in a terrain feature. So far they have only been a minor annoyance.

Only a minor annoyance until a few months from now when you're PvPing and your prey gets away because your leg is stuck on the side of a rock.  That's likely going to make me punch my monitor. 

My other gripe is quest text.  Ex:

Random quest dude says:

"I need you to kill wolves."
1.  Ok, I'll bring you the 84 fucking wolf tails you want.
2.  Shut your tropical clam, bitch... I'm now going to slit your throat.
3.  Goodbye.

(I choose 2.)

"Haha!  You'd never because I'm bigger than you!"
2.  Goodbye.

(WTF I choose 1. :( )

Point:  Don't bother putting in responses if they don't DO anything.  You may as well go back to WoW's window fwiw. 
Fearshi
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 22, 2008, 09:54:08 AM

I don't like that there's a button simply marked leave in the guild management tab that will cause you to quit the guild without so much as a "are you sure you want to quit the guild?"

Yes.  If you do this while Guild Leader the GMs will eventually tell you that there is no way they can fix it right now.  Then you reform your guild so you have a Guild Leader again.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #112 on: May 22, 2008, 09:57:41 AM

My other gripe is quest text.  Ex:

Random quest dude says:

"I need you to kill wolves."
2.  Shut your tropical clam, bitch... I'm now going to slit your throat.
3.  Goodbye.

(I choose 2.)

"Haha!  You'd never because I'm bigger than you!"
2.  Goodbye.

(WTF I choose 1. :( )

Point:  Don't bother putting in responses if they don't DO anything.  You may as well go back to WoW's window fwiw. 

In one rare instance selecting a belligerent response actually opened up an option for another quest on some random NPC in Tortage. Don't think that is widespread, but I think it may have been an idea that got ditched as too ambitious, but left in place for an NPC or two somewhere.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 22, 2008, 10:05:14 AM

I don't like that AoC prompted me to just place an order on Newegg for an 8800GT to replace my 8600GTS.  swamp poop
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #114 on: May 22, 2008, 10:12:44 AM

You're kidding right?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:05 AM

I don't like that AoC prompted me to just place an order on Newegg for an 8800GT to replace my 8600GTS.  swamp poop

what? Details please.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #116 on: May 22, 2008, 10:24:28 AM

The 8800GT is light years beyond the 8600GTS. I'm making the same upgrade hopefully tomorrow.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 22, 2008, 10:42:25 AM

OH! he meant it made him want/choose to upgrade, not that the game dumped him out an opened a Newegg page.

That would be hilarious!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 22, 2008, 10:42:37 AM

Yeah, I was just having to turn too much stuff down to get a framerate barely above 20fps on average. I prefer to play in my monitor's native resolution of 1900x1200 and that bargain card I bought with my computer late last year just wasn't cutting it for this game.

That would be pretty funny if the game itself told me it was time to upgrade and popped up a Newegg window.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 22, 2008, 10:53:21 AM

OH! he meant it made him want/choose to upgrade, not that the game dumped him out an opened a Newegg page.

That would be hilarious!

That made me laugh far more than it probably should have. Makes for a great image.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 22, 2008, 11:16:14 AM

The 8800GT is light years beyond the 8600GTS. I'm making the same upgrade hopefully tomorrow.

Same, except I have the 8600 GT. Thinking about getting the 8800 GTS though.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 22, 2008, 11:38:43 AM

The 8800GTS seems like the sweetspot card for this game.

Also, rumor has it the following is great for up'ing your framerate (maybe I read it here.  Not sure):
Dowload the latest and greatest NVidia drivers (the beta ones)
Wipe your current drivers.
Use a driver wipe utility, restart, rinse/repeat.
Install new drivers.
Defrag your HD.
Run AoC.
Voila, instant improvement.
schild
Administrator

Reply #122 on: May 22, 2008, 11:42:50 AM

That's an improvement on ANY game.

Might as well just say "Format, install nothing but windows and the game. Viola, instant improvement. Just add logic."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #123 on: May 22, 2008, 05:13:01 PM

Bah, I'm done. At least until I get a new PC [read: Never. PC gaming can suck my cock]. The min reqs on the box is a 6600...Which is bullshit. I have a 7300gt, slimmed down to muthafuckin 1024x768 (on a 1920x1200 monitor mind you), turned just about every setting down to nil, and have like only 30 yards line of sight of shittastic textures. It is literally PS1 era looking -- Not running in my monitor's native resolution just adds to the effect.

And I still can barely get 30 fps. Most of the time it's 20. And that's only when I'm alone, in an instanced zone. Put other shitheads in there, and I'm stuttering around at 9 to 15 fps.

So fuck this shit (and yes, I've updated my drivers, defragged..killed all unnecessary services, run windows with an old school classic ui, literally have shit on here except teamspeak and conan, meet cpu reqs with 2.4 c2d, gig of ram, etc.).

Sad thing is, I like what I've seen of the game. And I'm already a big fan of Conan.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #124 on: May 22, 2008, 05:18:29 PM

7300GT < 6600GT
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 22, 2008, 05:32:16 PM

In one rare instance selecting a belligerent response actually opened up an option for another quest on some random NPC in Tortage. Don't think that is widespread, but I think it may have been an idea that got ditched as too ambitious, but left in place for an NPC or two somewhere.

I found a couple of those in Tortage (playing Tortage repeatedly in beta made them more obvious). Not sure if I like it or not. In theory, the idea that the response you choose actually makes a difference should be cool, but in practice you're worried that the "wrong" response means you miss out on a cool quest.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #126 on: May 22, 2008, 05:51:55 PM

7300GT < 6600GT

Oh.. Well shit.

Anyhow, here me out on this last thing: That's still no excuse for not even being able to get a good framerate with hardly anything on (I'm talking bad on the level of seeing entire patches of areas in the background not even having textures...and again, at 1024x768...with a degraded character model without any definition whatsoever). It's just a shitty engine. Reminds me of NWN2.

If I can run a similarly highly instanced game like Guild Wars, and have it run better at it's highest settings than AoC can at it's lowest, then something's wrong. What is it about this game that requires so much juice? I'd honestly like to know. I said before that I barely have any line of sight, and it's with the lowest res textures possible. What would be the culprit then?
schild
Administrator

Reply #127 on: May 22, 2008, 05:56:40 PM

But AoC isn't highly instanced. And you're running in fucking bootcamp.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #128 on: May 22, 2008, 05:58:37 PM

Big deal, it's just a PC running windows.

What I've played is very instanced. The newb zone, Tortage has multiple versions, the Night Quest.. That's all I've seen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #129 on: May 22, 2008, 06:00:44 PM

But it's not a PC running Windows. And it isn't HIGHLY instanced.

Also, can you upgrade the GPU? Or is the iMac still a computer for turtleneckbeards?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #130 on: May 22, 2008, 06:09:56 PM

Sigh.. Not sure if you're serious or fucking around.

The mac gpu isn't upgradeable, right.. But that's no different than a laptop. They're PC's too, last I checked. None of the hardware used in bootcamp is "Mac specific". It's just plain ole pc parts.

My bad on the instancing thing (I wish I fucking knew how the rest of the game plays out, believe me). For my purposes right now though, and what I've played, and where I'm running into snags, it's highly instanced.

Not that I give a shit. I'm not making some veiled knock at the game, if that's what you think. The game is cool. My point though is that it can't even run worth a darn, with extremely low settings, in instanced areas.
schild
Administrator

Reply #131 on: May 22, 2008, 06:11:01 PM

Well, your GPU is the problem. It's years old. YEARS. Like, really, it's time to get an actual PC for gaming.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #132 on: May 22, 2008, 06:15:22 PM

undecided

I still say it's a crappy engine though. A lot of things run fine. This, otoh, is like nwn2. Completely unforgiving.

Just how cheap could I go, and get decent performance anyways?
schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: May 22, 2008, 06:22:20 PM

It's really not a crappy engine. Like, AT ALL. We're running it on a single core P4 3.0ghz machine next to us with an ATI X850. On 4x AGP no less. At 30fps solid.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 22, 2008, 06:29:18 PM

undecided

Just how cheap could I go, and get decent performance anyways?

Judging by recommended specs (those who have extensive hardware experience with the game may have better insight,) I'd recommend the following $500 build as workable for AOC:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1810.html

schild
Administrator

Reply #135 on: May 22, 2008, 06:33:39 PM

That's too much for too little. Is the May one up yet?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #136 on: May 22, 2008, 06:40:53 PM

It's really not a crappy engine. Like, AT ALL. We're running it on a single core P4 3.0ghz machine next to us with an ATI X850. On 4x AGP no less. At 30fps solid.

Damn?

Thanks DTrain... Didn't even know about those Pentiums. I await an updated list. Maybe this is doable.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: May 22, 2008, 06:46:01 PM

If I can run a similarly highly instanced game like Guild Wars, and have it run better at it's highest settings than AoC can at it's lowest, then something's wrong. What is it about this game that requires so much juice? I'd honestly like to know. I said before that I barely have any line of sight, and it's with the lowest res textures possible. What would be the culprit then?
Guild Wars is not a good game to compare AoC to graphics engine-wise. GW is in WoW's league -- it's designed to run okay on low end systems. I ran GW for a while on a GeForce 4 Go (essentially a GeForce 2 GPU).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #138 on: May 22, 2008, 06:48:44 PM

Well, what I meant is that it looks and runs a helluva a lot better at high than AoC does at low.

I'm sure there's probably a reasonable explanation for that (how something that looks like complete ass could still cause problems), but it pisses me off all the same.  smiley
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #139 on: May 22, 2008, 06:50:18 PM

GW had amazing art direction. They did a lot with what few polygons they had to work with.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  
Jump to: