Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Early Access Begins at 0500PM GMT/1700 GMT (I.E.: 1 PM for east coast players) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Early Access Begins at 0500PM GMT/1700 GMT (I.E.: 1 PM for east coast players)  (Read 42482 times)
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 18, 2008, 04:20:16 AM

Hm.

Dare I say, I like it. I wonder how much content is actually filled out like Tortage seems to be.

None of it.

Details please.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #106 on: May 18, 2008, 05:45:27 AM

Don't worry. Stray.  I'm so slow you'll zip by me when you finally get the game.  I don't have the inclination to catass games anymore.  A couple of hours is all I do at one time, generally.  I can be the mascot, I guess.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 18, 2008, 06:19:59 AM

Due to high demand they are opening MORE servers.  I don't remember an MMO launch where they opened new servers the day before, the day of and the day after launch.  I guess they were prepared.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 18, 2008, 06:21:36 AM

Due to high demand they are opening MORE servers.  I don't remember an MMO launch where they opened new servers the day before, the day of and the day after launch.  I guess they were prepared.

Pretty sure WoW had the same problem.  I don't understand where this high demand is coming from, even if the game did well the early access was capped so they had to know exactly how many servers they would need right?

I am the .00000001428%
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #109 on: May 18, 2008, 06:45:22 AM

I think a lot of people are simply ready for a new big budget MMO (especially one with some focus on PvP)... And the fact that WoW has brought in more MMO newcomers in general might mean that the number of people ready to game hop (like we all once did) will be that much more. LotRO might have even benefited from that -- I mean, that game probably would have only done half as well 5 yrs ago.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #110 on: May 18, 2008, 06:51:18 AM

I don't understand where this high demand is coming from, even if the game did well the early access was capped so they had to know exactly how many servers they would need right?
Possibly they had some servers on 'standby' rather than fully launched in case less people showed up than expected... (and/or to ensure they don't wind up with handful of people sprawled across too many servers they're enabling them in batches) regardless, it sends the "we're wildly popular *and* competent enough to handle it smoothly" message which coupled with reports of good performance makes some nice PR for a change.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 06:53:33 AM by tmp »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #111 on: May 18, 2008, 07:04:30 AM

Some how people have continually refused to acknowledge that this game has had appeal for quite some time now. I know many people IRL and internet friends anticipating this. The release timing was flawless, but I still expect a bumpy ride and many pissed off customers.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 18, 2008, 08:08:14 AM

Hm.

Dare I say, I like it. I wonder how much content is actually filled out like Tortage seems to be.

None of it.

Details please.

The game is incomplete. I had to /petition 50% of the quests I did post 40, because various parts of them are broken and you can't progress down quest chains. Grinding, while amazingly easy in this game, is super boring. Plus, quest chains is the only area where you'll find any items AT ALL, really.

I had two items I wore in my teens in the 40s and 50s. I had my level 1 hat until I was level 24.

Then there are a lot of bugged spawns and shit in the higher zones, where you'd just walk down a path and 324323 things aggro, invisible monsters, invisible walls, and entire ZONES that have "the wrong collision mapping loaded" where nothing at all is what it seems.

And I'm sure people are in their 20s already. The faster guys in beta could hit max level in 2 days, 10 hours /played.

And on grinding, if you want to set up a macro to just "fire weapon" or cast spell every 4 seconds, you can set an interface option to auto target whatever's in front of you. Look around and you'll find NPCs that walk up and down certain paths, one at a time. I gained 5 levels with a macro that consisted of "press 4, wait 4 seconds, loop" while I was at work one day.

Of course the GM's response to this was "NPC pathing is very complex and I doubt we can address individual complains like this in every instance."

Further, mages are fundamentally broken. I'd not make a mage at all at this point. They are super powerful for sure, but if you just look at the skill trees you'd see that they are all one trick ponies. The demonologist is the one I'm most familiar with. You basically have a fire skill tree and a lightning skill tree. Each of them adds mods and augments a single spell - a lightning one or a fire one. So by the time you've got 30ish points plunked down in that line, it doesn't make sense to use anything BUT that spell. You're running around with 2 hotkey bars full of spells but one is so much better than the rest that the rest are worthless.

If you want to make a mage, wait until spellweaving gets implemented and tweaked.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:12:17 AM by Nija »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #113 on: May 19, 2008, 03:57:05 PM

Question that I'm not sure where to place:

Do all early adopters get the War Mammoth mount?

[edit] What I mean is, I have the card for one... But it's got all of this shit about early access written on it as well -- and I know I'm too late for that. So I'm just wondering if I at least get the mount.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:02:22 PM by Stray »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #114 on: May 19, 2008, 04:05:32 PM

Seriously, how am I supposed to log into the NA servers? Just grabbing the NA client? And no problem with they key/account being from a EU retailer?

schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: May 19, 2008, 04:06:35 PM

I thought you only had to pick the server at login. Huh. The other euros should know. Was playing with a few earlier.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 19, 2008, 04:09:31 PM

Question that I'm not sure where to place:

Do all early adopters get the War Mammoth mount?

[edit] What I mean is, I have the card for one... But it's got all of this shit about early access written on it as well -- and I know I'm too late for that. So I'm just wondering if I at least get the mount.

Yeah, just input the code on the account site and it'll generate an account with the Mammoth for you. If you already have an account I think you just need to add it as an upgrade.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #117 on: May 20, 2008, 07:59:00 AM

Longest install ever.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Early Access Begins at 0500PM GMT/1700 GMT (I.E.: 1 PM for east coast players)  
Jump to: