Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Darkfall "Released" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 101 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkfall "Released"  (Read 938421 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

on: May 09, 2008, 05:10:26 PM

No really.

There were also many questions on the public beta and release dates. To this I can say now, that during a planning meeting we determined that our launch date will be inside 2008, with the public beta preceding it by a few weeks. This is official and internally we're a lot more specific, but pending an announcement, we cannot say more at this time.
* IainC dives for cover
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:27:13 PM by schild »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 05:35:40 PM

Numpty alert!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:05:24 PM

"6. Magic vs. Melee combat.

Pound for pound melee has more power but this is not a pound for pound game. Darkfall is a real-time game requiring player skill, and the attacks are aimed. It is not a reaction game, it is not a turn based game, it's not a game where you sit there button-mashing and trading blows with someone. Nor is this a game where you're pigeonholed into being a magician, or a tank etc.
The spell user could switch at any point to a two handed axe and the melee fighter might switch to a bow or to a staff and cut down the fleeing opponent. The Darkfall answer to this question is that it depends on the circumstance, the player position, player skill, readiness, tactics etc.

"

They tell us a lot of what the game is not... SO WTF IS THE GAME :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:16:26 PM

Abandon all hope* ye who enter here

* and logic, and objectivity, and faith, and just about anything... Duke Nukem 3D will launch before this title does (and yes, I saw the trailer, and no, I don't think it proves anything).
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 01:51:02 AM

Pound for pound melee has more power but this is not a pound for pound game. Darkfall is a real-time game requiring player skill, and the attacks are aimed. It is not a reaction game, it is not a turn based game, it's not a game where you sit there button-mashing and trading blows with someone
. Nor is this a game where you're pigeonholed into being a magician, or a tank etc.
The spell user could switch at any point to a two handed axe and the melee fighter might switch to a bow or to a staff and cut down the fleeing opponent. The Darkfall answer to this question is that it depends on the circumstance, the player position, player skill, readiness, tactics etc.

"

Am I the only one who really enjoys "archetypes" or "classes" ? Seems many are fuzzing about "in our game, you are not forced into a class!!" like its a blessing. I really dislike the idea that another class can have the same spell / ability as mine. I guess this is my RPG loving side that determines this.

On Darkfall : I'll believe em when I see it, until then: Vaporware  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:21:07 AM

photek

You look like Signe. I'm confused. Hello Kitty. Ah, yours isn't bleeding. Carry on.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:29:19 AM

Darkfall

Such a great choice of game name.

Durchfall
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 03:48:36 AM

Weeks-long betas are so FoTM.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 05:37:02 AM

Am I the only one who really enjoys "archetypes" or "classes" ? Seems many are fuzzing about "in our game, you are not forced into a class!!" like its a blessing. I really dislike the idea that another class can have the same spell / ability as mine. I guess this is my RPG loving side that determines this.
Hi.  I detest class-based systems.

We can be mortal enemies now. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 06:12:31 AM

Only five year delay between the original announcement of open beta and this "final" one. My hopes are high
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 09:14:05 AM

Pound for pound melee has more power but this is not a pound for pound game. Darkfall is a real-time game requiring player skill, and the attacks are aimed. It is not a reaction game, it is not a turn based game, it's not a game where you sit there button-mashing and trading blows with someone
. Nor is this a game where you're pigeonholed into being a magician, or a tank etc.

"

On Darkfall : I'll believe em when I see it, until then: Vaporware  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I actually appreciate classes and skill trees and archetypes, but then again I am a huge fan of hack and slash. I only get uppity though when multiple classes have my class specific spell or ability. I also get grumpy when they make a race specific skill race specific, I'd rather it be a race/one class specific skill/spell. 

As for Darkfall - been waiting for this for a while now.. hopefully it will be released this year. My foot has gotten tired of tapping.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 09:43:34 AM

I hate to say it but with no real or consistent progress reports coming from a game, it makes it hard for an organized guild to do forward planning. I know in our case we devoted a lot of manpower to both Warhammer and AOC to prepare for guild launches, and the sudden emergence of a Darkfall release won't change our plans. Instead its sorta like "wow that's nice, but we've moved on to other things".

Maybe some other guilds that have waited around forever will go to it, but our 2008 plans are just too invested in WAR/AOC to get side tracked with this now.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:03:11 AM

Quote from: waylander
the sudden emergence of a Darkfall release won't change our plans
Between WAR and WoW:WotLK later this year, I don't think an actual emergence of a Darkfall release is going to change anything.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 11:19:14 AM

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 11:49:39 AM

Between WAR and WoW:WotLK later this year, I don't think an actual emergence of a Darkfall release is going to change anything.

Given the lack of hype outside of the core of rabid fanbois, going head to head with two powerhouse releases like WAR and WoTLK seems like a deeply unwise move. Maybe the mysterious Aventurine finally got tired of bankrolling a project going nowhere and want to recoup some capital? Even if the game was 100% done and super spectaular, I don't see how a beta of a matter of weeks will draw enough attention to the game to draw much attention away from the other two launches.

Also, I feel that the niche market this game is ostensibly pitched at peaked about 8-10 years ago, and cannot be competitive in the current MMO market.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 02:30:19 PM

Given the lack of hype outside of the core of rabid fanbois, going head to head with two powerhouse releases like WAR and WoTLK seems like a deeply unwise move. Maybe the mysterious Aventurine finally got tired of bankrolling a project going nowhere and want to recoup some capital? Even if the game was 100% done and super spectaular, I don't see how a beta of a matter of weeks will draw enough attention to the game to draw much attention away from the other two launches.

Also, I feel that the niche market this game is ostensibly pitched at peaked about 8-10 years ago, and cannot be competitive in the current MMO market.

Actually the hype is not small, it is somewhat big. Correction, it was for a while. I constantly see (saw) some threads pop up on forums questioning Darkfall and people being hyped about it. What happened is after tons of promises and nothing to really show for it, no solid facts nor anything the hype has died and people are just "meh" about it. I think their hype hurt them much more than any lack of.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 02:38:59 PM

The hype for Darkfall was never big. Not in the sense of the gaming market. Not in the sense of MMOGs. New Cottage Cheese varieties from Kraft probably get more hype. And cottage cheese sucks.

Period.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 02:45:52 PM

And of those that remain interested, I imagine most will end up turned off when they realize that the promises of "everything, and the kitchen sink" gameplay from the devs is missing.  I.E. no naval warfare, and so on. 

More will leave when they realize that they're not the ass-kicking machines they thought they were, and they're griefed into oblivion, after having all their gear stripped from them when they get jumped a group while fighting some mob.

Also, df.exe.  awesome, for real

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 02:51:13 PM

The hype for Darkfall was never big. Not in the sense of the gaming market. Not in the sense of MMOGs. New Cottage Cheese varieties from Kraft probably get more hype. And cottage cheese sucks.

Period.

Well, New Cottage Cheese is imba so thats not fair. Darkfall got a lot of attention from the PvP'ers during their glory days where "they would do right where all did wrong, just different". I remember reading they had 100.000 thousand "somethings" (beta applications? Forum members? can't remember) during a period which is a lot for... Nothing.

However I'd like to see it finished, just so I can

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 05:17:47 PM

One would assume that a "few weeks" of "beta" will "suffice" for a full PvP "game", right?

Did I "overdo it"?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 05:36:32 PM

Notice how Iain's buggered off from this thread!

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 05:42:11 PM

Actually the hype is not small, it is somewhat big. Correction, it was for a while. I constantly see (saw) some threads pop up on forums questioning Darkfall and people being hyped about it. What happened is after tons of promises and nothing to really show for it, no solid facts nor anything the hype has died and people are just "meh" about it. I think their hype hurt them much more than any lack of.

The only real time I see DF hype is on the Darkfall forums, and the only time I end up on the darkfall forums is when I see the occasional "lol, failfall" thread and get directed so some overly-passionate rant about something most people would consider trivial. The forumfallers seem like they could kick up a shitstorm over anything. Any other information (not hype) I see is the sporadic link to a TTH article where a Dev proudly announces some bit of news, generally along the lines of "we managed to patch trees into the game this month, they are mostly green by the way".

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 05:47:23 PM

It was never big. All the hype came from a tiny hardcore of forum warriors. Every time anyone mentioned FFA PvP games, they'd pop up and make a lot of noise about Darkfall. It was always the same people though making a disproportionate amount of noise.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 06:18:02 PM

When loud morons are making a lot of noise, like Grunk, it does not represent any sort of hype. I think that's where Photek got confused.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 07:07:53 PM

What do Darkfall and Peter Pan have in common?  awesome, for real
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 08:18:00 PM

You people are harsh. We should be cheering and championing each and every attempted MMOG that comes out.

Cause they are gonna die anyway.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 08:27:55 PM

One shadowbane launch was enough for me.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 08:38:12 PM

Cause they are gonna die anyway.

Um they will?  Horizons, shadowbane, and a lot of others prove otherwise.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 08:54:24 PM

You consider Horizons and Shadowbane to be alive?   ACK!

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 09:06:36 PM

Shadowbane is still quite alive.  Horizons is still running and probably making money with the very few people they have playing.

Them being dead would mean their official servers were shut off.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:41 PM

I can't imagine that Horizons is making money.  Hardly anyone plays.  I still have a friend who has a sub and he says the game is almost completely dead.  There was a bit of a surge when SB went free but it died, then another when they did the wipe but that'll wear off, too.  I consider them both pretty much almost very nearly dead.  But especially Horizons. 

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 09:32:09 PM

I can't imagine that Horizons is making money.  Hardly anyone plays.  I still have a friend who has a sub and he says the game is almost completely dead.  There was a bit of a surge when SB went free but it died, then another when they did the wipe but that'll wear off, too.  I consider them both pretty much almost very nearly dead.  But especially Horizons. 

By making money I don't mean they are bringing barrels of cash to the bank every month, but it really doesn't take that many subs to maintain the servers and a skeleton dev crew. 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 11, 2008, 03:19:47 AM

Yes, MMOs are never going to evolve on the backs of diku-"but better"-clones that didn't meet their business targets. This genre proves you can guarantee 500 people will like something. But that's not going to pay the bills by itself.

And I'd very much like to see HZ's balance sheet. I doubt they're even out of the hole of initial investment yet, unless the change over in companies somehow dissolved that.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:04 AM

Well, for someone who has followed this MMO for the last four or so years, I am just interested in seeing a release at this point.  The game sounds more and more like EVE in a fantasy setting, but a FPS EVE... so maybe more like Jumpgate part 2?  In any case, my guild still plays that dead Shadowbane game more than any other MMO out.  Perhaps Aoc and/or WAR will change that, but I don't know how you can give those two a bigger chance of success than Darkfall given the last 5-6 years of MMO releases.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 11:09:59 AM

Shadowbane is still quite alive.  Horizons is still running and probably making money with the very few people they have playing.

Them being dead would mean their official servers were shut off.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 101 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Darkfall "Released"  
Jump to: