Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Goalline Blitz 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goalline Blitz  (Read 166050 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 01:54:01 PM

I have a level 2 kicker whos not getting any playing time in his computer team also.

I am the .00000001428%
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:37 PM

Not a bad first game for Robb!

Ok, I got way too much enjoyment out of watching the play by play for that.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:52 PM

This game is win.

And it's still so raw. Think about what it'll become in a few months. They are adding stuff almost daily.

EDIT: Nazrat, I can't believe you made it into USA Pro League. Gratz on that! There are kids all over the boards who'd KILL to just be hired by any USA AA League Team, let alone PRO (and this is all just because they feel it's not real/serious if it's not the US league). There was even a long thread about it, basically Players were massively refusing contracts from non-US teams screwing everyone. Funny thing is that Pro Leaguers were only hiring players level 8+ so it was an enjoyable standoff and a few popcorn-worth threads.

You know there's a Owners' Association which is kinda officially acknowledged? GLB is the new EVE.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:34:03 PM by Falconeer »

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:11 PM

I Just signed up, DT Angus McHolefil.
If you need another DT we can run a 4-3 :) sign me up!

Professional Forum Lurker.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 02:43:09 PM

This game is like crack.  I have to fight to not check up on my players every 10 minutes while at work. 

As to the Pro League, I like to build characters that are rare.  FB is not a common position in the game while it is one of my favorite positions IRL.  So, I built a fireplug of a FB that can run and block.  Due to all of the years playing MMORPGs, I have learned how to navigate forums and filter out idiots.  (It is almost unfair to unleash all of us on this league as the meathead factor is very high).  I found an ad for a FB from a Pro league team.  So, I boosted to lvl 3 and PMed the owner.  He signed me to a 3 year contract.  I wasn't happy about the years or the salary but, as you said, it is Pro league. 

Little did I know that there was a rift between the owner and the level 10 FB.  So, I started my first game as a level 3 FB for a primarily passing team.  Not ideal but the other FB did not get a single snap.  He is now being traded and I am the only FB on the roster.  The team isn't great but it is the pro league and we aren't last. :)

I am serious about unleashing real MMORPG players on this game.  I am huge football fan.  However, the vast majority of the forums are filled with the meathead variety football fan who can't figure out how to level and what to level.  Basic football knowledge when combined with successful navigation of numerous prior RPGs makes for a deadly combination.

Of my 5 players, 4 are signed with human teams so three of their contracts don't expire until season 3 , day 16. 

I look forward to seeing what a full team of experienced RPG players could do. 

Thanks for the link to the forums.  They are much more useful than the official ones, as usual.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:44:55 PM by Nazrat »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 02:43:52 PM

Right now the game only allows 4-3. Formations are in the next big update, at the end of the current Season (first week of June)

WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 03:05:30 PM

I am really looking forward to team management. How does the purchase work? Do I have to scout out a franchise ahead of time and spam the buy button at the end of the season?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:30 PM

There is not much scouting for purchasing a team going on right now.  There are no teams available.  The only way that a team comes open is by having an inactive owner for 2 weeks or by having personal contact with an owner who wants to sell.  Therefore, any team that comes open is immediately snatched up.  The league will not allow anyone to pay more than the base cost of 1000 Flex points for a team.  Therefore, there is no profit motive to sell a team.  Also, previous owners during the Alpha phase could own as many teams as they wanted.  Now, you can only own one team.  So, there are a lot of the old hands with 3-5 teams that they own while the newcomers like us have none.  It is a classic MMORPG conundrum. 

There is an expected release of new teams upon completion of this season but no one has published any numbers as to how many teams will become available. 

Finances are a huge portion of the ownership game.  Right now, some of the players that own multiple teams are being accused of taking out loans from the league, signing their players and their friends players to huge contracts, cutting them all and then selling the team.   
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 04:50:22 PM

I signed on witha  cpu team and my first game is tomorrow. I as excited a I was when the Dolphins 3 day rookie camp started :)
Can a human owner offer me a contract mid season?

Professional Forum Lurker.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 05:09:09 PM

I signed on witha  cpu team and my first game is tomorrow. I as excited a I was when the Dolphins 3 day rookie camp started :)
Can a human owner offer me a contract mid season?

Yeah, you can take human offers anytime you are in a CPU team.

I am the .00000001428%
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 05:48:25 PM

The best way to find a human team is to carefully search the team seeking players forum in general and for your position in particular.  I strongly advise that you carefully review the owner or GM's team to see what league it is in, the roster makeup, standings, etc. 

2 teams in each league move up and 2 teams move down based upon the standings much like soccer.  So, signing with the last place team in the top division will look good for one season but your team might be demoted. 

Also, look for the number of CPU players, inactive players, or whether the entire roster is made up of players created by the owner. 

I have always gotten a better response by PMing the owner in addition to, or in lieu of, responding in the forums. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 11:04:28 PM

I am really looking forward to team management. How does the purchase work? Do I have to scout out a franchise ahead of time and spam the buy button at the end of the season?

No scouting and lot of spamming.

Let me recall what happened last season:

1) The boards were at war because everyone EVERYONE wanted a team and they weren't available.
2) Bort (main Dev) stated that they would have added lots of leagues and some expansion teams to the existing leagues on a specific date (which was, I think, April 17th)
3) That day (night in Italy, as I said I had to stay awake very late to succeed) I kept spamming refresh on the announcements forum AND on the BUY TEAM (under the FLEX menu in your page).
When you click BUY TEAM you get (you can try that now) a list of the leagues and it lets you choose where you want to get your team. If you do that now you'll notice that once you choose a league the next menu is empty as there are no available teams. That night instead, if you kept refreshing the BUY TEAM and the leagues menus in it, sometimes, for a few seconds, a team appeared on a random league. You had to be fast and click on it and go "purchase". I had to repeat the operation like 5 times because even if I refreshed every 5 seconds, more than once the "just appeared" new team was "already owned" by the time I pressed "purchase".

So I really don't know how many teams they will add this time, it was 1024 last time, but there's a fair chance it will be a matter of dedication and fast clicking.

About what Nazrat says, and the phenomenon known as "gutting", I think it has been a major big deal especially for those who, blinded by the sheer desire of owning a team, purchased one of those gutted teams, because it will take them game-years to get out of the mess they are in.
But in all honesty my impression is that the gutting phenomenon affects like 1% of the game, and it's something that to a certain extent will be re-absorbed y the countermeasures the Devs have been taking against it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 06:25:24 AM

I really hope someone can snag an f13 team. This is the perfect game to set up from work :)

My SS had an ok first game, we won 13-6. A couple tackles, couple passes deflected and a forced fumble. Not a lot of tackles, but forcing a turnover in my first game was cool.

The play by play and replay stuff is very cool.
WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 07:21:53 AM

I think we could fair a bit better than normal even with a gutted team if we can convince everyone to take a lower salary at first to help the team get better.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 07:35:22 AM

I am doing very good with a non-gutted team thanks to a bunch of real life friends. We set our own salary cap so we are doing great financial wise. Still, things are not so easy when you have to outsource because your players will want:

a) enough money to trade daily on "intense". And you will spend so much time explaining them that there's no way they can train on intense during the Season due to energy consumption. They are lucky if they'll be able to train on normal, as relaxed is the norm. Still they are clueless when they are noob (or just greedy when they are not noob anymore) so that's your problem n° 1.

b) enough money to upgrade their equipment at level 8. To do so you need 10k $. If an outsourced player doesn't have the money he'll probably ask for a new contract with a bonus on signing to get the equipment, lamenting that it would do good for the team (which is true ONLY IF they put the bonus points in the attributes you tell them).

And I am not even touching the matter of the starting positions or Players who were good at level 4 but then started developing their attributes in a messy way gimping themselves forever, not listening to advices and STILL expecting to be starters.

If you can't provide both the aforementioned things you'll get your players angry and bitchy. Many of them will blackmail you saying that they won't train or will messup their personal tactics just to hurt the team. This most of the time forces you to give em what they want or trade them away/release them from contract.

Still, blackmails aside, money are needed. With your original stadium you'll notice that your incomes are capped. You'll want to improve it but it's very expensive! So how to deal with demanding players and the need to be successful? This game starts off in a way that money aren't such a big deal, but things change fast. Especially if you consider that Level 16 equipment costs 12500 each piece (it's 50k per player) and that if, for any reason, your team should bankrupt, you'd lose it for good.

So, for all this reasons, the less we outsource, the most successful and healthy the team will be.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 07:39:24 AM

Ok, i know nothing about American Football, but i made a TE named Flint Strafebrick. Level 1 in a cpu team atm.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
WayAbvPar

Reply #51 on: May 15, 2008, 08:08:57 AM

Just got an offer from a human-run team (unsolicited). They want me to play back up DT and special-teams. Salary is $1200 per day! I am probably going to reject it and wait for my own team, but that is fairly impressive that someone found me so fast (I made level 4 last night at midnight).

Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 09:27:18 AM

DT's are rare.  No one makes enough of them.  That is a smart owner using the search engine. 

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 15, 2008, 10:30:26 AM

I posted an ad for my DE at level one when I first made him and got 6 offers in 10 minutes. Certain positions are way easier to get spots on human teams. BTW player's name is Cain Toad and is now level 4.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 10:37:45 AM

Made a CB (Lightning Nightingale)

I don't know what I'm doing but weeeeee! regardless
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:44:25 AM by trias_e »
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 01:36:27 PM

Game 8 went okay, we beat the crappiest team in the league 13-7 to get to 10th place, and I dinged level 6.

Currently at 6th in the league in rushing.  Had a 8 car / 28 yard game with one 9 yard "highlight".

Was in on 3rd and G from the 0.5 yard line and we passed incomplete, followed by a missed FG.  Nevermind what I said earlier about my teams kicker.  Mob
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 01:39:32 PM

We will be adding some more teams that are available to buy during this coming off-season, but not before. The new teams will not be in the USA region. We will be filling out the other regions and adding other regions first.

We might do a waiting list based on account creation date, but that has not been decided for sure yet.

FYI.
WayAbvPar

Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 01:41:52 PM

Yeah, just read that. Outer Mongolia F13ers coming right up!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 01:46:25 PM

My 2nd game netted me 1 reception for 6 yards, with two other passes thrown to me that were deflected. We lost 17-0. My team doth suck.

WayAbvPar

Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 02:18:05 PM

Just some advice for anyone else making new players- check out your offers carefully. See which teams have depth issues or level 1 or 2 players starting in your position. You can become an instant starter if you choose the right team, which will make you gain XP like crazy (don't forget to add in lots of stamina so you can stay in the game).

Also- I would suggest saving your 'boosts' for later levels, when it takes longer to level. I did one with my first character from level 1 to 2, which was a giant waste.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 02:37:34 PM

Recent updates:
- Number of teams available per league is now listed on the "buy team" page

Cool, needed and useful.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 08:11:17 PM

Just created Nebu Nagurski, LB.  Will see if I can figure this out.

Edit: Signed a contract with the Detroit Legion.  Looks like this could be fun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:27:16 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 10:54:45 AM

I am up to 6 players now. I may have a problem. DT, FB, TE, QB, WR, and FS. I may do a kicker or punter next- the guys on the D teams are TERRIBLE.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 11:35:01 AM

It is THAT addictive.

I have 6 players AND a team.
My son has 2 players.
My friends range from 3 players each up to 16 (sixteen). And the addiction grows, and grows....

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #64 on: May 16, 2008, 12:03:09 PM

How does it do with multiple accounts? Do I just need another email address? I don't want to buy flex points yet, but wouldn't mind creating another player that isn't a kicker.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 16, 2008, 12:07:51 PM

They threaten the ban stick for doing that, H, but we're probably below the radar.

Dogmeat Johnson, OG, joined the New Hampshire Wizards.
Tiny Lister, OT, joined the Honolulu Hares. 

Both guys are going for balanced builds with a slight lean to playing run, so RG and RT respectively.

My first attempt at OT, Noam Chomsky, had attrocious dice rolls, and had to be insta-retired.  Tiny, on the other hand, started with 15 in strength, blocking, agility, and vision.  A shit load of potential if I don't screw it up.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 12:28:32 PM

The ban stick REALLY hits you if you try to "refer" yourself with multiple accounts.
Other than that yes, below the radar I'd say (tested thoroughly).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 02:45:30 PM

Recent updates:

- Team leaders page added (players on the teams' stats)

Woot!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 17, 2008, 07:24:04 AM

What determines who is the starter on a CPU team? I started the first game but then got bumped to second string by a 1st level player (I was level 1 at the time, I'm lvl 2 now). He's got 2 tackles, now I have 4 tackles, 1 FFum, 4 PD, and a fumble recovery, in 2 games (second game played as 2nd string). He's still the starter at level 1 undecided

I'm thinking maybe I should have done the retirement/reroll thing a few times to get some better stats? Are these decent SS stats for level 2? I'm training tackling at a relaxed pace so I'm not too winded for games.

Strength:     14.4           Blocking:     10.17
Speed:    15.4         Tackling:    14.72
Agility:    10.17         Throwing:    9
Jumping:    10.17         Catching:    10.17
Stamina:    22.4         Carrying:    10.17
Vision:    14.4         Kicking:    10
Confidence:    10.17         Punting:    8
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:14 PM

Ok, srsly. That douchebag Pure Talent is still the cpu team's starter. No tackles in the 2nd game. He's got a total of 2 tackles in 2 games, and nothing else. No bats, no turnovers, no recoveries. I got exp, so I must've played in the 3rd game but didn't get any action, either undecided
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Goalline Blitz  
Jump to: