Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Sidekicking and other questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sidekicking and other questions  (Read 12380 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:32 AM

If I go down to level 10 to help my daughter with a mission, then what do I get with regard to drops?  Level 10 stuff or my level stuff?

I can only use powers that I'd have at 10, correct?  Everything else will be greyed out?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:17 AM

What are all these "prestige" running powers I have?  Do they just provide an effect for sprint, or do they actually add something like speed?
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:50 AM

What are all these "prestige" running powers I have?  Do they just provide an effect for sprint, or do they actually add something like speed?

they just add sparklies or streaks or pretty colors

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:21:03 AM

Yep, the sprint powers are just to customize sprint.

Sprint makes you go fast and no visual effect.
Power slide makes it look like you are surfing the ground.
Another adds a sparkly aura, another bunch of lines off of you as you run, another adds white rings streaks, etc...
What they did is make it that all the sprint effects from the pre-order, collectors DVD, and so on, all get available once you get far enough in the veteran's reward and you get them.  The only thing you don't get is the 30 second flight pack (which increases flight speed or makes you jump higher depending on power).

When you go down to the other person's level, you will have only the powers for that level and enhancments for that level.  Bonus powers stay, as I had my broadsword and magic rune blast from croatoa, and my black wand and shadow maul from veterans rewards still.  You earn drops for that level, and will just get influence or prestige or can burn off debt (but depends on your level and what level you drop down to).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:24:29 AM

I like the one where it looks as if you have pin holes in you and light is shinning through as you run.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:33 AM

If I go down to level 10 to help my daughter with a mission, then what do I get with regard to drops?  Level 10 stuff or my level stuff?

Yeah, you'll get level 10 stuff, unless you're collecting the recipe reward at the end of a trial or task force, which is always your real level.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:38:01 AM

Speaking of Vet's rewards -- how do they calculate that? By time paid? Or by time since first toon creation? And do you get the rewards for all characters, or just one?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:54:33 AM

Speaking of Vet's rewards -- how do they calculate that? By time paid? Or by time since first toon creation? And do you get the rewards for all characters, or just one?
Paid time, more or less.  You get the rewards for all characters, including new ones.  There aren't any per account I can recall off-hand.

I like the one where it looks as if you have pin holes in you and light is shinning through as you run.
I like the sparkly one.  Pre-ordered from Gamestop or where ever specfically for it.  It goes great with a dark aura for my character based on gravity manipulation as it makes it appear light is being distorted around her.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:00 PM

What happened to the fires?

Is that dance club somewhere still open where you can hop from some zone to some zone?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:34:15 PM

Just looked at my temporary powers:

Large Extinguisher
Wedding Band
Confiscated Beanbag
Cryonite Armor
Bow and Arrow
Hyper Phase
Throwing Knives (this is the one from my origin,I think)

I can't remember where I got these others - I vaguely recall it was from events or completing quests.  Is there a limit tothe number of temporary powers?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 05:35:31 PM

What happened to the fires?

Is that dance club somewhere still open where you can hop from some zone to some zone?
Fires still happen regularly in Steel Canyon.

Pocket D is still around though they moved the entrances/exits. Heroside there are entrances in Kings Row, Talos Island, Faultline and Founders Fall. They added markers for the Pocket D entrances on the maps now so you can just look on there instead of searching through the zone trying to find those little Pocket D fliers.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 05:36:58 PM

Power slide makes it look like you are surfing the ground.
Powe slide is only available if you got the CE edition or bought one of those keys they were selling for a while -- it is not available as a Vet power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:41:10 PM

Just looked at my temporary powers:

Large Extinguisher
Wedding Band
Confiscated Beanbag
Cryonite Armor
Bow and Arrow
Hyper Phase
Throwing Knives (this is the one from my origin,I think)

I can't remember where I got these others - I vaguely recall it was from events or completing quests.  Is there a limit tothe number of temporary powers?
There's no limit. CoH now has a Wiki which has a ton of information including where those temp powers came from:

http://paragonwiki.com or
http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 09:55:29 PM

Also in I12 beta (not live yet) there's a "PPD" chat channel, and I think an "Arachnos" one as well, which alerts the entire server of overworld events in the appropriate faction. Also map markers for fires and raves when they're on.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 05:14:48 AM

Lol yeah Trippy hit it on the head, go to Temp Powers for the list of those, I luv having my Shivan Shar and Amy's Ward, they rock to have if you get over your head, pop these two contacts and you are back in bashing.  I should bug it, but my Iron Blade and Rune of Warding have not expired after three days of game play, but it is cool to have those powers...

For your Inherent Powers they have what you get from what purchases, except the pre-order information (which those effects have been bundled up in the veteran rewards minus power slide).  Forgot that my pocket D teleporter and powerslide came from there.

Veteran rewards has a good list of what you get for your rewards (it doesn't have all the reward listing, just the power rewards).

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 04:19:32 PM

Lol yeah Trippy hit it on the head, go to Temp Powers for the list of those, I luv having my Shivan Shar and Amy's Ward, they rock to have if you get over your head, pop these two contacts and you are back in bashing.  I should bug it, but my Iron Blade and Rune of Warding have not expired after three days of game play, but it is cool to have those powers...

Three actual days.

Like, your character has run around for 72 hours.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 06:50:00 PM

Well, I just reordered -- am downloading/fixing my clients now. Turns out I have 21 months of Vet time already, and am less than a month short of 24 months. :) So I have some decent rewards/unlocks awaiting.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 08:46:07 AM

I have something like 18 tailoring sessions and a free respec - and I think I have fewer months than you do.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 04:22:24 PM

There was a period of time when they were giving out free tailoring sessions like candy. Those were separate from the free tailoring sessions you get as vet rewards though they act identically.

The respecs are more complicated. The Vet reward respecs act just like the ones you get from doing the Respec Trials -- you have to go talk to a person in order to trigger the respec mechanism. These respecs (Vet and Trial) "stack" -- you can have more than one available at a time.

There's a second type of respec which is the kind given out before or shortly after a new issue is released. This respec is triggered using the /respec command and allows you to go through the respec process anywhere (handy if you are in the middle of, say, a TF and you desparately need to get a power you skipped). This respec does *not* stack with itself. If you don't use up this respec and another Issue rolls around you don't get another one.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 05:21:23 PM

I have something like 18 tailoring sessions and a free respec - and I think I have fewer months than you do.
Yeah, I have a bunch of tailoring sessions. Not really useful for a new character -- if I didn't like the costume, I wouldn't have made it. :) I do know you can have extra costume slots and stuff. Never used them, but I know they're there.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:36 AM

I only used them on one char, his concept was that he was gradually becoming a demon (was a villian), and his body slowly took on more and more demonic characteristics (so, I tailor slot 1 he is mostly human, only horns on his head.  by slot 4 he is mostly demon, cept for the face).

It's good if you want a concept character that transforms, but honestly it's alot of work for a one-trick pony (i.e. the first time you amuse others with it is the only time they are amused).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 07:32:21 AM

I use it for differing needs.  My regular outfit, street clothes, a fun outfit like for halloween, and for fun I did a Crey infiltrator type on my highest.  Of course it's silly since she's an eight foot cow in a business suit, but the character revolves around taking the absurd seriously.  No one's questioned her directly yet either.  (Maybe she's the bovine version of Chicken Boo?)

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 01:04:44 PM

Does it matter what sort of missions I do?  Are contacts important?  Could I just do scanner missions?

What is "farming" in CoH, how and why do people do this?

Are Ouroboros missions re-doable, or once you do them in Ouroboros, it's done?

What do people do at 50?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 01:14:43 PM

Contacts will give storyline missions and give (badges,temp powers and other rewards) but can be a pain solo dealing with elite bosses and villians.

Farming is clearing out the mission of bad guys but no completing it only to reset it.  The theory being that the best xp is from killing bosses as rapidly as possible and this being the easist way to do that.

I don't know what Ouroburos is.

I thought they made alts although I can't confirm this.

"Me am play gods"
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 01:50:10 PM

I was part of an 8 person Atlas Park bank robbery that we were trying to farm -- only they screwed it up somehow. The mayhem was amusing as all get-out, though.

It was fun seeing thirty long-bow run down at us. :) Me and the other Mastermind had our 'bots on aggressive, so they were blowing up crates right and left.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 02:59:26 PM

Ouroburos missions are repeatable, at least the regular mission replays.  I'm not sure about their own story arcs.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 05:52:58 PM

I don't play Villains so everything below is from the Hero-side perspective.

Does it matter what sort of missions I do?  Are contacts important?  Could I just do scanner missions?
Yes, yes, and yes.

If all you care about is experience points then with missions the only thing that matters is fighting enemy groups that are easy for you. Otherwise you have to take into account drops (tech vs arcane and the DO or SO type), whether or not it's a storyline arc (for the story and reward at the end), what badges the mission might help you work towards, whether or not there's a temp power given out or AV at the end, and a bunch of other factors like some missions are just "cooler" than others. E.g. there are missions that have you dress up as Freakshow and Arachnos and there's one that gives you a disease complete with flies buzzing around you.

For contacts it's the same as above. If all you care about is experience then it only matters which enemy group you'll be mostly fighting. Otherwise the same applies plus other things like which contacts are opened up by this contact.

You could just do scanner missions. From 7 - 12 I pretty much just to arcane scanner missions skipping over most of the early contact missions since I've done them a bazillion times. Same from 15 - 20 (12 - 15 I do Positron).

Farming is killing large groups of enemies as fast as possible to maximize the exp/influence/drops gained per unit time. Usually done with a Fire/Kin Controller in a group of 8 (who don't actually have to even be in the mission) and killing Family or Behemoths. In the old days it was for powerleveling as fast as possible cause influence had no meaning once you got all the SOs you needed unless you were a costume changing freak. These days it's more about getting the billions of influence needed to min/max your character. Hence the influx of influence farmers, spam messages, RMT, etc. for people who don't have the time or inclination to grind that much influence themselves.

You can redo them.

What do people do at 50?
In the old days it was typically either badge hunting, going through uncompleted contacts/TFs for the stories/content, or rolling an alt. The only real "end game" content back then was the Hamidon raid. With the addition of the invention system you can add "farming" to that list. I put farming in quotes cause most aren't farming in the traditional sense described above but are still grinding out missions/TFs/zone spawns to accumulate the stuff they need to max out their characters. These days there is slightly more "end game" content with additional level 50 TFs/SFs that you can do (and repeat) but there's still no EQ-style raiding end game (Hamidon, while technically a raid takes like 60 - 90 minutes if you know how to do it). There's also PvP-related stuff but that doesn't seem that popular (probably cause it's horribly unbalanced).
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:16 PM

Contacts will give you more maps, more enemy variety, and the occasional cutscene, cool temp power, or archvillain. If you just want to see a character to 50 you can scanner all the time.

It mostly refers to XP farming, where people level up their alts by parking them in a mission that gets repeatedly cleared and reset. They're softening up the likely targets in I12 and fixing a bug related to level ranges that was boosting people too fast. But farming will still happen.

I don't really get the mindset myself.

The only thing in Ouroboros that you can't do again is the Pilgrim's introductory arc that gave you a second chance at the tutorial zone. The TFs can be repeated, and every badge or arc can be flashed back to as many times as you want, though the ones you've completed will be marked with a gold star.

What do people do at 50?

Roll an alt. Get badges. Roll an alt. Do TFs. Roll an alt. Do mothership/Hamidon raids. Roll an alt.

But mostly, roll an alt. There are so many things I still want to play, and I12 is putting in more.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 06:31:51 PM

What do people do at 50?
Just to expand on this a bit more, before the Invention System the only ways to "improve" your character once you hit 50 were HOs (the special enhancement type Hamidon drops) and certain accolades. Now with the Invention System you can keep improving your character even at the cap by grinding out the loot to make/buy/trade set IOs. If you are really dedicated you can still eventually "max" out your character (I know somebody on Virtue with *32* purples).
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 03:23:36 PM

(I know somebody on Virtue with *32* purples).

To put this in context, it isn't unreasonable for a purple ultra-rare IO to go for 40 million inf. To get 32 purples is a lot of farming, one way or another.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Sidekicking and other questions  
Jump to: